As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Accessing my own LAN

Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
It's such a simple problem, but I can't get it sorted out so far.

Just a laptop, connected to a desktop. I can't access shared folders on either, from either. On the laptop, the Desktops shared folder doesn't show in network places, and double clicking on it in 'workgroup computers' prompts for a password - i've never set a password for this before.

On the desktop, the laptop's shared folder shows, but tells me access is denied. The LAN is otherwise fine, I ran the setup wizard, the laptop uses the desktops internet connection no problem, I just can't figure out why I can't access my shared stuff.

Left Wing jAy on

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I couldn't get windows file sharing to work without making a user account specifically for it (under XP).

Just go into the control panel, and click on user accounts and make one, it might need to have the same name as the user account you use on the other computer and I think it has to have some password.

I think that worked.

If all else fails you can always setup an ftp server and transfer files that way, be sure to add it to the firewall exceptions though.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    LovingFFXILovingFFXI Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    or add the build in user "Everyone" to the share permissions! and make sure it had read permission and write if you want.

LovingFFXI on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    The accounts must have a password or else XP will block connections. Do all accounts have some sort of password?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    FyreWulff wrote:
    The accounts must have a password or else XP will block connections. Do all accounts have some sort of password?

Nope, winxp will allow blank passwords but it won't allow accounts with blank passwords to remotely access the computer.

Best to just create an account with a password or add a password to an existing account.

Ruckus on