Options

[Guildwars 2] New Races of Tyria Trailer Out in 720p and 1080p!!!

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Killing the stone summit feels so right.

Not quite as right as killing Charr, mind you. But it still feels good.

stone summit dwarves i hate them so bad

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    I couldn't stand Vekk, or any of the other cutesy faggot Asura. That's the only thing I really, really dislike about Guild Wars, why did Anet feel they have to add the stupid cute race? Argh goddamn.

Asura? Cute? Those things are vicious assholes who would rather not have to talk to you since you're so damn inferior. Not to mention their goddamn TEETH!

Nightmare fuel, for sure. And the entire race is jerks, just look at the title track names. 'Not too smelly, not too annoying, not too stupid'

Grr.

Out of all the races, the dwarves were the stupidest and most cliched. And now they're all ignoring the world so that's just fine and cool.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Livia, Jora and and Gwen.

Hero minion masters are very, very, good.

Rook on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    Livia, Jora and and Gwen.

Hero minion masters are very, very, good.

Yeah, I need to work on getting Livia. I could use a good MM.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goddamn Charr-lovers. You're a symbol of all that's wrong with Ascalon!

Jora was pretty cool, though. I do like the Norn.

Damn-straight. I bought the PA Guildwars t-shirt because of the freaking epic Charr pic on the front.

It is my favorite shirt.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Caedere wrote: »

Damn-straight. I bought the PA Guildwars t-shirt because of the freaking epic Charr pic on the front.

It is my favorite shirt.

At least you're not one of those stupid faggots that always says, "Ugh, I'm not going to wear a black t-shirt hurf durf".

It's also a pretty cool shirt.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GWXPostUno008.jpg
    Pretty badass looking.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    stitch.jpg

Houn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Exactly! Asura aren't nice.

I'm mostly stricken with gigantic curiosity regarding the Sylvari, though. Shorter than Humans, taller than Asura, strong connection to nature and nature golems, born from the Pale Tree(apparently?) 30ish years before Gw2. It's all we know!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Caedere wrote: »

It is my favorite shirt.

At least you're not one of those stupid faggots that always says, "Ugh, I'm not going to wear a black t-shirt hurf durf".

It's also a pretty cool shirt.
    I'm probably not the best judge of that - I wear shirts with lizards and dragons and shit on 'em.

I also have a Prinny shirt.

http://rosenqueen.com/catalog/Prinny-Wear-T-Shirt-p-16148.html

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't care if you wear wolf t-shirts, I was just commenting more about how annoying those pretentious douchebags are than anything.

edit: I've never played a Disgaea game but I like that Prinny shirt.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking about getting the Charr t-shirt myself.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There were a couple of furries in the Guild Wars community on LJ that caused quite an uproar when they came out and said they found the Charr to be pretty damn sexy.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In other news, I picked up Anton as a hero last night. Hoping I can find him useful at some point. :)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will nerd rage so hard if they take away my paragons and ritualists.

EDIT: I bring this up because a fair portion of the community has been speculating that their design/function wont be relevant in GW2.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I've been having issues getting a group for The Wilds if anyone is interested in doing that at ~9-10 EST tonight.

Kahla Fyrstorm

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I do need to hit up the bonus missions for the Maguuma with my Mesmer, so I'm in. Severra Timarre.

@Chase, I would expect them to cut down to the core classes for GW2, until they start putting out expansions. How are they saying Rits and Paragons would become irrelevant, though? Rits are kind of big in a support-turret way, and Paragons are... well... already irrelevant.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Has something changed with Paragons? It's been a couple of months, but my group had some interesting builds that included paragons.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm working on a Paragon right now. There are some very powerful builds, at least in the PvE sector (even putting Imbagon aside). I think you have to be more aware of party synergy with Para though. As a "stand-alone" character, they are fairly limited, but that's kind of the point.

As for GW2, I'm sure we'll be getting new classes. Naturally they might carry some of the old "styles" over, but when you have new things like firearms (Charr), technology (Asura) and new magics (Sylvari), there's going to be some new class setups methinks.

I'm rather hoping for the "Chronomancer" they were sketching out for the 4th (cancelled) chapter.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I honestly haven't touched Paragon since Nightfall's release, and back then they were pretty crappy as a class, only one in ten groups in Halls or GvG used 'em.
    They've probably been made viable, these days.

Honestly, all of my GW knowledge is a bit outdated. I really need to step back and take a look at the general skillset of the game sometime, but I just enjoy mesmering around waay too much.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I tried a paragon because I liked the concept but I was really unimpressed as well.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Enig wrote: »
    I'm rather hoping for the "Chronomancer" they were sketching out for the 4th (cancelled) chapter.

I don't know how they would play but the artwork for them sure looked fucking cool, hopefully we get some classes with armor like that.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    beta.lyrae wrote: »
    So I've been having issues getting a group for The Wilds if anyone is interested in doing that at ~9-10 EST tonight.

*logs on, checks clock*

Dammit.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I honestly haven't touched Paragon since Nightfall's release, and back then they were pretty crappy as a class, only one in ten groups in Halls or GvG used 'em.

Honestly, all of my GW knowledge is a bit outdated. I really need to step back and take a look at the general skillset of the game sometime, but I just enjoy mesmering around waay too much.

When Nightfall was first released not many teams used Paragons because people hadn't learnt how to exploit them. Several weeks after release they had to be solidly nerfed because they were so overpowered.

By itself the Paragon was weak, when you had 3 Paragons chain chanting "Incoming!" to give your entire party 50% damage reduction while still doing above average damage, after "Incoming!" was nerfed a new skill combo would show up that was just as powerful when used by 2-3 Paragons but completely balanced when used by only 1 Paragon.

Paragon was one of my favourite classes (first being warrior) because it was just so damn versatile, you could be offensive or defensive support or just straight up damage. However because of this and the advent of soloing in GW2 I can't see the Paragon (in its GW1 incarnation) being very useful for much of the game as it really needed a team to be most effective.

edit- Same with the Ritualist, both classes were more for party support and fleshing out roles that weren't completely filled by one of the existing classes.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

When Nightfall was first released not many teams used Paragons because people hadn't learnt how to exploit them. Several weeks after release they had to be solidly nerfed because they were so overpowered.

By itself the Paragon was weak, when you had 3 Paragons chain chanting "Incoming!" to give your entire party 50% damage reduction while still doing above average damage, after "Incoming!" was nerfed a new skill combo would show up that was just as powerful when used by 2-3 Paragons but completely balanced when used by only 1 Paragon.

Paragon was one of my favourite classes (first being warrior) because it was just so damn versatile, you could be offensive or defensive support or just straight up damage. However because of this and the advent of soloing in GW2 I can't see the Paragon (in its GW1 incarnation) being very useful for much of the game as it really needed a team to be most effective.

edit- Same with the Ritualist, both classes were more for party support and fleshing out roles that weren't completely filled by one of the existing classes.

Yeah, I liked the Rit and Paragon because support classes are pretty cool. I don't know if they'll end up in GW2 though because of soloing and such, though I imagine they'll find something similar to fill the support class role (just one a bit more solo friendly).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ritualist was pretty broken unless you devoted a ranger to interrupting the shit out of them in GvG. The spirit range was compass wide.

Paragons were even worse though. Then they nerfed/buffed them back and forth between overpowered and useless.

I really hope they take it easy on releasing tons of new classes for GW2.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    beta.lyrae wrote: »

*logs on, checks clock*

Dammit.

Sorry we missed you. We started at about 9:15 and waited around a bit for anyone else to show. It ended up being Rainfall, me, and some guy who brought 3 Necromancer heroes. We crushed it :)

Thanks again Rainfall.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So any news on GW2 from PAX? I know that at the least they had the art books there.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    A friend of mine who went mentioned there was a GW2 Panel, but he had to leave before I could pump him for information. Anybody go to it?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So any news on GW2 from PAX? I know that at the least they had the art books there.

PAX GW2 Interview:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/74120
    In Guild Wars 1 as you play PvP you’d be unlocking your skills and abilities so that you’d be exposed to more and more depth and complexity over time. But at the real e-sport level you want it to be all about your player skill, you don’t want it to be a case of “you unlocked more than I did therefore you can try a different strategy before I can try it.” So for Guild Wars 2, for the real e-sport PvP we’re going to make it completely open right from the beginning. You can go in and have access to every skill in the game or every item in the game.

I think that's old news, but new to me. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I love seeing the unlock notification, and there is something addictive about trying to get them all.

Incidentally, I've got one more mission in the desert, then the doppelganger, then off to the Southern Shiverpeaks (I think) if anyone else is around there. I should be on ~9:30-10:00 EST tonight.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, I think I've got some time to kill tonight if you want to rock the desert.

Also, totally looking forwards to GW2 even more now. Very nice interview. I gotta say, I'm happy about the lack of unlocks, since you'll still have to get stuff for each individual PvE character, but it opens up PvP quite nicely.

And World PvP? I have no idea if they'll even try to balance that, but it sounds awesome.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you want a hand in the Desert or South Shiverpeaks send me a whisper. My "main" character is 'Zor Kalas'. If I'm not busy I'll help out. I think I might need a bonus or two there anyway to finish my Protector title.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Other GW2 news from PAX:

- All races can use all professions.
    - The polar bears in the trailer are apparently another race called the Kodan.
    - There seem to be different Sylvari, based on the seasons. So there are Winter, Fall, Summer, and Spring variants or something. Along the same lines, there seems to be an "evil" Sylvari faction.
    - There are hints the Mursaat are in GW2.
    - The reason they started releasing information now, is that next year around this time would be too late to start.
    - Pretty much everything is fully explorable, buildings, mountain peaks, etc, etc.

More info: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/guild-wars-2-pax-2009-t992.html

Geod on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Here's another interview. This one focuses on the lore of GW2. This was pre-PAX, so apologies if this was already posted.

http://www.killtenrats.com/2009/09/02/guild-wars-2-interview/

(Got through the desert last night. Going to see Glint tonight unless the wife goes into labor :))

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Geod wrote: »
    Other GW2 news from PAX:

- All races can use all professions.
    - The polar bears in the trailer are apparently another race called the Kodan.
    - There seem to be different Sylvari, based on the seasons. So there are Winter, Fall, Summer, and Spring variants or something. Along the same lines, there seems to be an "evil" Sylvari faction.
    - There are hints the Mursaat are in GW2.
    - The reason they started releasing information now, is that next year around this time would be too late to start.
    - Pretty much everything is fully explorable, buildings, mountain peaks, etc, etc.

More info: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/guild-wars-2-pax-2009-t992.html

Yessssss. Especially the buildings part. GW architecture is great, but you can't go in anything.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. Being able to climb to mountaintops isn't new(Anvil Rock is so sexy,) but being able to go into buildings is totally effing sweet.

I really liked the one interview where they were talking about exploring underwater, and how a lot of games put you on a breath timer or something, but they were just 'yeah let's make this fun no breath gauge no pressure, it's just underwater 3d fighting.'

Rainfall on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been waiting for this one since Nightfall came out. That chapter totally killed it for me and I just gazed straight ahead - at the future, the sequel, the Charr that I will roll and FUCKING BURN YOUR SHIT.

Hopefully there won't be an army of Risen Korean Death-Gods that bathe in witch blood for precognition and finger-dexterity that use computers cooled by liquid souls.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kazaka wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this one since Nightfall came out. That chapter totally killed it for me and I just gazed straight ahead - at the future, the sequel, the Charr that I will roll and FUCKING BURN YOUR SHIT.

Hopefully there won't be an army of Risen Korean Death-Gods that bathe in witch blood for precognition and finger-dexterity that use computers cooled by liquid souls.

Doesn't even matter that the Koreans are good, it's the fact you can't pronounce their fucking names. "Kill the guy with the squiggles for a name!" "They're all squiggles!" "The one that looks like a pig fucking some matchsticks!" "This one?" "JUST KILL THE FUCKING MONK!"

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Doesn't even matter that the Koreans are good, it's the fact you can't pronounce their fucking names. "Kill the guy with the squiggles for a name!" "They're all squiggles!" "The one that looks like a pig fucking some matchsticks!" "This one?" "JUST KILL THE FUCKING MONK!"

Ctrl + Spacebar?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

Ctrl + Spacebar?

It's a bit harder than that, as you might want just a mesmer say, to be on the watch out for a particular person, especially when they res, however, every team member is given a number so you can just use that instead of their name. I think we used to do a similar trick when we were trying out some gimmick builds to make it harder for people to spot key people
    llllll lllllllll
    lllll llllllll
    llllll llllllll

Rook on