As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iron Scribbler...The Scribbulation is almost upon us!

Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy!Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
3833753889_f33927357d_o.jpg

Once there was a Penny Arcade fan that enjoyed the art, the form, the insanity of Scribblenauts. He envisioned a forum unlike any other before where the best Scribblers from around the world would battle it out to determine the best Scribbler of them all. This Scribbler would be forever known as: THE IRON SCRIBBLER

3833753873_3167cdc197_o.jpg
Art thanks to PaperLuigi and his friend Dai-Wei!

Welcome one and all to the Iron Scribbler thread! Coming September 15th Scribblenauts shall be released upon us all and the Iron Scribbler contest goes live! In essence this contest is for the grand title of The Iron Scribbler, lord high master of the scribble art. (Greatest unprize of them all!)

The general format of the contest is 10 rounds each judged by a new volunteer judge. They pick the level, the secret ingredient and the conditions of winning. These conditions must have 3 measurable elements. Usually related to time, items used, etc. Each judge rates their top 3 and points are awarded for each found. First place get 3 points, second get 2, and third gets 1. At the end of 10 rounds the points are totaled and the new Iron Scribbler is announced.

For example if the event is Alliteration Alienation for example the 3 judgeable elements would be: Speed (# of days to post result), Chain (# of items beginning with the same letter), and Creativity (subjective based on judge/audience reaction). A general guideline is to give each area a 1 to 5 point rating and then tally the points from there. If there is a tie, each judge gets to make their call at to who wins it. Since this is such a subjective game, each of the mini-contests here shall be judged subjectively by each judge.

This thread is presented with CBT's approval, and is a friendly event only used to promote the Scribblenaut game itself. Don't be rude as a judge, be fair and avoid impossible events or favoritism when it comes to giving out points. This event only works if we all want to have fun.

What I'm looking for now is a full sign-up of people interested in playing the game. I'll begin a roster in this post of active Scribblers and update you into brackets for when the game goes live. Till then, drop your name and prepare to Scribble as if you life depended upon it....not that it is, but it helps set the mood is all.

The Scribbulation is upon us!

Judges List:

Mostlyjoe
PaperLuigi44
FencingSax

...more to come. If you want to judge an event, please send me a PM!

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
Mostlyjoe13 on

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Score So Far:

Mostlyjoe Event - Winners! Restart 3 pts, Caedere 2 pts, Sorenson 1 pt.
    PaperLuigi44 Event - Winners! Arch 3 pts, Restart 2 pts, Krosius 1 pt.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought this was going to be about

14353.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited August 2009
    Does this mean your not interested B:L or just being silly?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah sure, I'll judge.

Fencingsax on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was going to post a new post with the list but heh. Got beat to it. Ah well.

Deleted my post, so edit yours to make that list - and make sure Im on it! =)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm totally down for playing, and judging at a later date.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does this mean your not interested B:L or just being silly?

Just being silly, planning to play but don't have time to judge.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Excellent, I cannot wait for this comp to get under way. As I mentioned in the Scribblenauts thread, though, I totally have dibs on being Randy Jackson :p

PaperLuigi44 on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I got the PM, but I'm willing to judge. For the first competition, at least :D I'm totally going to play it up like an Iron Chef judge though, so things that remind me of spring get bonus points.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    I got the PM, but I'm willing to judge. For the first competition, at least :D I'm totally going to play it up like an Iron Chef judge though, so things that remind me of spring get bonus points.
    I was going to do summer, you thieving bastard!

Fencingsax on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still don't understand the appeal of this game.

You input words that produce items and you solve puzzles with them.

That's it?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited August 2009
    Yes, that's "it". I can see how someone could not have any interest in the game if you like playing games for a sense of completion or for a story, but if you like a creative challenge the basic appeal of the game (at least in theory) is that the main limiting factor to your puzzle solutions is your imagination rather than technical restrictions.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sign me up.

Zerokku on
    edited August 2009
    Updated for new players and new judge. 3 judges each round with the option to rotate out.

Each time a new Iron Scribbler is found, he becomes the proxy 4th judge and champion that the finalist must fight.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Let me make a suggestion for the future.

Because I used to be really into Iron Chef, I was thinking of another way to make this even more Iron Chef-like.

I'm sure the champions and the best of the best will always have some kind of "theme". Maybe I will always end up using animals. Someone else may always be using food. Another person could always end up using horrible morbid items. Or maybe someone wins consistantly with sheer overwhelming adorableness.

After we've played for awhile, we get 3 people, and crown them accordingly. Iron Chef Animal. Iron Chef Food. Iron Chef Horror. Iron Chef Adorable. Ect.

Then, when the winner wants to go up against someone (and this could come in handy when real life gets in the way, and maybe the champ needs some time off), the challenger can CHALLENGE the Iron Scribbler of his choice! That way, if the theme was RAINBOW, you would know - if you challenge Iron Scribbler Adorable, it will be a challenge -- but you would be world renouned!

I'm very bored, so forgive me if this takes things too far =)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »

Because I used to be really into Iron Chef, I was thinking of another way to make this even more Iron Chef-like.

I'm sure the champions and the best of the best will always have some kind of "theme". Maybe I will always end up using animals. Someone else may always be using food. Another person could always end up using horrible morbid items. Or maybe someone wins consistantly with sheer overwhelming adorableness.

After we've played for awhile, we get 3 people, and crown them accordingly. Iron Chef Animal. Iron Chef Food. Iron Chef Horror. Iron Chef Adorable. Ect.

Then, when the winner wants to go up against someone (and this could come in handy when real life gets in the way, and maybe the champ needs some time off), the challenger can CHALLENGE the Iron Scribbler of his choice!

Joe's running this show, but I like the idea.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm all over this. Sign me up!

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I have the game in time to compete, I'm totally in!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Then, when the winner wants to go up against someone (and this could come in handy when real life gets in the way, and maybe the champ needs some time off), the challenger can CHALLENGE the Iron Scribbler of his choice! That way, if the theme was RAINBOW, you would know - if you challenge Iron Scribbler Adorable, it will be a challenge -- but you would be world renouned!

If I had a DS or this got a PC/XBLA release, I would totally be Iron Scribbler Duct Tape.

There is not a problem that can't be solved with duct tape.

Monger on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This game isn't even out yet and it's already so meticulously planned.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I have the money on the 15th, I'm game for this Iron Scribbler madness.

Extreaminatus on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm up for playing, but i don't know how much time I'll have. We shall see.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited August 2009
    Same here. I mean, I preordered for my dumb hat, but I think the Gamestop near my house shut down or something because it doesn't show up on a store locator anymore. When I get the game I might not have all the time in the world to do some Iron Scribbling. But who knows.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh awesome, can I please be signed up? Can we have titles? I want to be "Iron Scribbler California - The Prince of Penmanship"

Fatty McBeardo on
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sign me up, sounds great.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
    edited August 2009

APPROVED!

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got this game reserved, so I might as well give this a shot, too.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I finally got down to ordering this (along with Spirit Tracks and the new Professor Leyton game that comes out in three days, hot diggity) so I guess you can count me in. I'm just pissed that Amazon isn't doing the Chicken Hat dealie. :(

EDIT: Though throwing in free release-date delivery is nice, I suppose.

Sorenson on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lord Bloodpen Scribbulous, the Deathscribe

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited August 2009
    I forgot that Layton is out soon. Hmm...

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are results going to text based or do we need some sort of recorder uploader thingy?

Bedlam on
    edited August 2009
    Honor system?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I shall be the Iron Scribbler know as "The Word Smith"

Lux782 on
    edited August 2009
    We get to have cool nicknames? I never saw any Iron Chef other than the Shatner one.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    this is going to be amazing, sign me up.

VALVEjunkie on
    edited August 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Are results going to text based or do we need some sort of recorder uploader thingy?

At the moment we agreed on Youtube for convenience, but we'll see how things unfold.

EDIT: Never mind, read Joe's post below.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2009
    At this point it appears that Bursar will be unable to judge for round 1 due to work complications. That means we have a new opening, if anyone is interested.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2009
    I'd be happy to switch over from a contestant to a judge.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited September 2009
    I had judge spot first!
    Me wrote:
    08-18-2009, 04:36 PM
    Yeah sure, I'll judge.

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2009
    Sorry for being away. I'm back and aware of the impending release. Please remember we're giving everyone 3 days to 'settle in' to the game before we kick this off.

Yes, you can all give yourself special Nicknames for the contest. Please post them here and I'll add them to your listings. No one get the "IRON *nickname* Scribbler" title until they win a contest.

Well, seeing as how Fenshingsax did have an established request to Judge, he's our new 1st round judge. But, DeathPrawn is next in the rotation.

Also, new contestants are now being added to the roster.
    Bedlam wrote: »

However you can get the results to us. The usual timeframe per event is 1 week, with 'time' rated in days. So as long as you don't turns yours in last minute you should get decent points. 1 minute or 2 hours get the same rough number of points.

Mostlyjoe13 on