As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Praying my Xbox 360 isn't damaging discs

Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook!Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
When a 360 starts damaging discs, it only does it in the circular scratch formation, correct? Because I rented Wolfenstein from Blockbuster last night and played it for a little bit and it worked fine, but today when I went to boot it, it recognizes it as a regular DVD instead of a game, and it boots to an Xbox 360 screen and then freezes.

Upon ejecting the disc to try again, I notice a dimple on the disc. A small circular indent between the hole in the middle and the data, where the warping from the indent just encroaches on the data. And right now, I'm worried that somehow my Xbox has done this.

All of the internet search engines have been horrifically unhelpful with this, and I was wondering if anyone had heard of 360's dimpling DVDs instead of outright scratching them.

Full disclosure: My Xbox has not moved with a disc inside ever. I did not move it last night at any point in time, and this is the first game that I've ever had this problem with.

ygPIJ.gif
Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
Johnny Chopsocky on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Could you post a pic? Not sure I completely understand your description.

It sounds like you're saying the label has bubbled up? Or do you mean the plastic part of the disc is actually dented?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    Could you post a pic? Not sure I completely understand your description.

It sounds like you're saying the label has bubbled up? Or do you mean the plastic part of the disc is actually dented?

The plastic part is dented. It looks like something circular hit it quite hard on the underside, so the dent actually raises the label up.

Unfortunately, no digital cameras around and my cell phone camera is shit for detail, even up close.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm... does it look dented by force or maybe from heat (like it would have melted slightly and buckled)?

I can imagine the Xbox maybe getting hot enough if you left it running or something... though I haven't actually heard of that happening... I don't imagine any component of the Xbox being able to strike it hard enough to dent the plastic.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah when you worry about a 360 damaging discs, you worry about radial scratches as a result of it being jostled while spinning (or even while not running.)

It sort of sounds like it could be heat warping if I have pictured it clearly, but it doesn't seem like an 360 should put that much heat on a disk.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget