As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing Linux on PS3

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so I'm just now getting around to installing Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 onto my Metal Gear Solid 4 80gb PS3 bundle. I downloaded the Linux ISO and it's burning to a DVD now. On my PS3, it wants me to format my Hard Drive before I can set aside a second boot partition for Yellow Dog.

Is doing so going to wipe everything off my PS3 installation? I don't want to click full format before knowing, and I'm not 100 percent clear. I figure everyone going through with this is going to want a normal, untouched PS3 partition and a second, new Linux Distro. What's my PS3 going to look like when I go through with this?

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You'll want to do a backup of anything you want from the PS3 first. The backup tool does a pretty complete job, but check game saves, and I think trophies are lost(?). D/L games from the PSN Store can be re-downloaded.

Honestly though, you may not want to bother, depending on your motivation for doing Linux. If you just want to give it a try, go for it. But it really sucks. I got Firefox and OpenOffice working, but it was such a pain with no Flash or other support.

edit: I should add I used an Ubuntu distro designed for PS3, but I've heard similar comments about Yellow Dog.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    You'll want to do a backup of anything you want from the PS3 first. The backup tool does a pretty complete job, but check game saves, and I think trophies are lost(?). D/L games from the PSN Store can be re-downloaded.

Honestly though, you may not want to bother, depending on your motivation for doing Linux. If you just want to give it a try, go for it. But it really sucks. I got Firefox and OpenOffice working, but it was such a pain with no Flash or other support.

edit: I should add I used an Ubuntu distro designed for PS3, but I've heard similar comments about Yellow Dog.

I'll go ahead and second the "don't bother" comment. Poor support and poor performance means it isn't worth it except possibly as a semi-neat project. The only really noteworthy reason to install linux on a PS3 is if you want to learn Cell programming.

Clipse on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm. I thought it'd be neat to use it as a Windows 95 emulator with Qemu. I dunno.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think you'll lose Trophies, as those (should) be tied to your PSN account, not your hard drive. Otherwise, you could download them just like game saves, right?

On another note - as a PS3 user who has read the PS3 slim may lack only 1 feature - the ability to install Linux - I must ask, what is the appeal of running Linux? The PS3 already has a browser and other Media Sharing features; why not just use a computer?

Black Ice on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    I don't think you'll lose Trophies, as those (should) be tied to your PSN account, not your hard drive. Otherwise, you could download them just like game saves, right?

On another note - as a PS3 user who has read the PS3 slim may lack only 1 feature - the ability to install Linux - I must ask, what is the appeal of running Linux? The PS3 already has a browser and other Media Sharing features; why not just use a computer?

because linux has the unlimited power of community.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't do it. It's a waste of time and effort. Sony restricts you to using a single processor for Linux and the performance you get is epicly awful. I'm pretty sure a netbook has more power.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »

The main reason was so that programmers could experiment with the CELL processor, because there weren't a lot of options out there. As a normal user there's really no advantage unless you're a hobbyist or something.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Complete waste of time and energy. It's horrible.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294