Options

Mystery Science Theater 3000.2 (Riff Trax etc) we like it very much!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What did JoCo do

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it's ok though because I saw the MST3k movie in an actual theatre

I will always treasure that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What did JoCo do

A song about zombies, the future, and a group song about the other eight failed plans.

The riffling was good for the first half. The sheer awfulness of the film made me lose consciousness during the second.

But they riffed on an old flight stewardess training video for the opening which was so much better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oh the same

sang some awful shit about ninjas or zombies or robots or some tired old crap

the riffing was awesome though. maybe not as good as some of their older stuff, but still great

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like The Future Soon, it's cute.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I enjoy Coulton in small doses

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I went to a concert last year. It was fun but I don't feel like I ever need to see him again.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Saw this tonight and thought it was fantastic. My new favorite riffing, right above Space Mutiny. The guys were on point and it was pretty cool to know it was all live.

EDIT: Also thank you thank you thank you jwalk, if you didn't make this thread I never would have known about this.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    robotsunshinerobotsunshine regular
    edited August 2009
    anyone else have technical difficulties?

the theater here in savannah did. our broadcast started 45 minutes late and we were all angry nerds so everyone go two free passes! hurray! (gonna go see district 9)

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Our tech issues were limited to a few hiccups in the live feed early on, but otherwise things came out okay.

The Future Soon would have been better-received if more people in my theater knew who JoCo was and he wasn't doing it acoustic with practically zero introduction.

At least we got enough people singing along with Re:Your Brains to make that fun.

The short in front of Plan 9 was great and I thought they did a fantastic job of riffing the movie. The movie is just plain bad to begin with and then comes totally apart at the seams during the second half. Repeated footage, infinitely-re-used props and stages and all sorts of crazy shit. I would not have been able to sit through it if the guys hadn't done such a fine job keeping it entertaining during things like exposition.

There was a woman and her adult-aged daughter sitting next to us, however. The woman was a very sour-looking, trashy sort and her daughter initially seemed like a very jolly-yet-morbidly-overweight 20-something. They were a little too vocal during most of the presentation but then half way through Plan 9 they began to fight very audibly. The daughter started swearing at the mother and punching her and demanding she "say that again to my face" repeatedly. It was distracting us a great deal from a movie that should have been fine with the audience's added sound track.

Soon after the blows began, other theater-goers began to shush the two, which gave me enough courage to break my silence and tell the woman and her daughter to either save it for later or take it outside.
    I have never had to do this before but I was at my limit.
    The girl tried to protest, I politely told her that she was in a public place and needed to act like a goddamn adult and she left immediately in response. Her mother stayed the rest of the performance and laughed her way until the credits.

I enjoyed myself. That was my first time watching Plan 9 and I am shocked that movie managed to get made. They could not have done a more hilariously-bad movie if they had been trying.

Afterwards I took my friends out for awesome hot wings and two pitchers of Magic Hat and now I am in a good mood.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I love Magic Hat!

I'm sorry that prior engagements prevented me from seeing this though

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The band at the Chicken Bone (awesome wing place and alright bar) was doing cover after cover of bad 90s music. Earlier on in the night they did a cover of the theme to Saved by the Bell and then later shocked me by playing a rendition of the title track from the movie That Thing You Do.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Jonathan Coulton is highly overrated.

He's not terrible. It's just that he's not great, either.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    kant I'm surprised you hadn't seen Plan 9 before

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

It's just that I'd have to watch it in a group.

I rarely watch movies on my own.

I lack a sufficient quantity of nerdfriends for most of the stuff one usually thinks of as super-dorky.

There are a great deal of movies I have not seen. Classics. I'm workin on it. Sarah and I have a Netflix account and will be ratcheting it up in the new place once she's done getting her 2nd degree or whatever smart ladies do with their time.

Bitch is gonna be a doctor before I have a steady career-type job.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I lack a sufficient quantity of nerdfriends for most of the stuff one usually thinks of as super-dorky.

There are a great deal of movies I have not seen. Classics. I'm workin on it. Sarah and I have a Netflix account and will be ratcheting it up in the new place once she's done getting her 2nd degree or whatever smart ladies do with their time.

damn ladies bein' smarter than us

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Not true. I'll have a JD first then I'll do my doctorate. And no complaining, if I become the fancy Dr.VisionOfClarity, Esq. you benefit too.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Not true. I'll have a JD first then I'll do my doctorate. And no complaining, if I become the fancy Dr.VisionOfClarity, Esq. you benefit too.

Dr. VisionofClarity Esquire CPA

Just promise you'll wear those power-skirts and do your hair up in a bun so you can take it down dramatically. I'll take care of the rest.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Just promise you'll wear those power-skirts and do your hair up in a bun so you can take it down dramatically. I'll take care of the rest.
    :^:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks PA. For this glorious thread and me being able to go and watch some classic comedy again.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited August 2009

:^:

I know another lady who is talking about getting her advanced degree. Granted hers is cooler because she could become a mad scientist. I could just examine your books and defend you in a tax fraud case. That's not nearly as exciting.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Love... are you...

Are you trying to suggest I fetishize another woman's intelligence?

I'm not sure what to think of this.
    Or was that directed at Dru? ;-)

TankHammer on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, I went to this tonight!

Evander on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wish there was an encore repeat broadcast. It's just so much better watching Rifftrax in a theater with a big crowd than on a computer with headphones.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Geek wrote: »

No, he is great. He is unfortunately "nerd-popular" though, meaning that if you go to see him, you get tons of people cheering at the wrong parts of his songs, due to recognition, and missing the parts that are truely genius.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Evander wrote: »

No, he is great. He is unfortunately "nerd-popular" though, meaning that if you go to see him, you get tons of people cheering at the wrong parts of his songs, due to recognition, and missing the parts that are truely genius.

We ran into the biggest neck beard at the show we went to. The 4 people in their 50s who we ended up sitting next to were awesome though. They got good and hammered and were having a good time.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Was anyone else watching in Owings Mills?

We can talk about how we did not realize that each other were there.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have to admit I'm surprised and impressed with the number of theatres this played in.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

We ran into the biggest neck beard at the show we went to. The 4 people in their 50s who we ended up sitting next to were awesome though. They got good and hammered and were having a good time.

Before going in to the theater, my buddy and I were pointing all the folks who were clearly there for rifftrax.

At one point we saw two dudes walking together, one was wearing a Link hat, the other was wearing a kilt.

The reason I will never go to a Jonathon Coulton concert, as much as I love him, is that I need to avoid THOSE kind of people.

Evander on
  • Options
    doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    signed up for berry watch

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

honestly, I thought that Lowtax's ads were the weakest part of the show.

He just pushed them too far. Too many degrees of separation from reality before the audience has bought in, and it's just impossible to connect to.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Before going in to the theater, my buddy and I were pointing all the folks who were clearly there for rifftrax.

At one point we saw two dudes walking together, one was wearing a Link hat, the other was wearing a kilt.

The reason I will never go to a Jonathon Coulton concert, as much as I love him, is that I need to avoid THOSE kind of people.

The My Name is Bruce screening with Bruce Campbell had a worse crowd. It had the worst crowd.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

He just pushed them too far. Too many degrees of separation from reality before the audience has bought in, and it's just impossible to connect to.

this is because you have a broken sense of humor

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think the biggest laugh of the night at our theater was either one of the gun-waving bits or the Dramatic Prairie Dog riff.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The My Name is Bruce screening with Bruce Campbell had a worse crowd. It had the worst crowd.

I can imagine.

Sometimes it bothers me that horrible people also like the things that I like.

But when I listen to Space Doggity, I cannot deny Coulton's genius.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

this is because you have a broken sense of humor

I have the best sense of humor.

Lowtax tried to place absurd behavior in absurd settings. That's a dangerous thing to do, and he didn't get it right. It happens.

Evander on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009

The few songs of his I have heard are extremely mediocre.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2009

you can't say that!

you'll be fired!

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    PORTAL REFERENCE

US GAMERS, HUH

Seriously though, I think his cover of "Baby Got Back" is funny, and I really like "First of May"

And "A Talk With George" is one of his serious ones that really gets to me for some reason

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

which ones have you heard?

maybe I can reccommend you some better ones.

the aforementioned Space Doggity is an amazing piece, IMO.

Kenesaw Moutain Landis is also one of my favorites, but it might not hold up so universally.

Evander on