As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy: Dissidia's Distributed! Disperse!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They're all wearing pants. I had that reaction initially as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blue Mage Force V!

Fighting fire with fire in the name of JUSTICE!

Enlong on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Brief commercial of Japanese guys screaming, but within it you can see some footage from the trailer, including a look at Serah (kind of reminds me of Nanoha from StrikerS).

*snip*

And this one is a cam shot of someone playing the demo.

*snip*

That boss seems to have a lot of HP, or the person wasn't playing it right. I'm still not sure how the whole Optima Change thing works, but it looks interesting.

The entire game looks amazing, and the music sounds excellent as well.

Merry Christmas. :(

I didnt even know about the optima change thing but if I had to guess Id say its something like "optimal change" and will make them better at whatever you switch them to. It would make sense to me.

Yeah, I saw in there four options, looked like healer, enhancer, attacker and blaster.

Exactly. Thats why I believe itll just make you better at whatever you switch to. The word Optima (sounding like optimal) only enhances my belief.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blue Mages are the best mages.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pata wrote: »

I hope if the blue mage makes a comeback in a later FF title that they make them less obnoxious to build up. I hate having to find and control/capture/etc enemies just to get them to use abilities.

I liked the FFIX method (at least, I think it was that one, where Quina just had to swallow them, right?)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, they had to be at around 1/4 health (1/2 if s/he was in trance) I think.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I ended up overtaking my Squall and beating Shade Impulse with Firion, killed Chaos on the first try with a couple of massive Weaponmaster hits. (and the accompanying heals off the EX bonus)

And man, Duel Colosseum is addictive fun. Also Man with a Machine Gun is now mine!

Kelor on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    So I ended up overtaking my Squall and beating Shade Impulse with Firion, killed Chaos on the first try with a couple of massive Weaponmaster hits. (and the accompanying heals off the EX bonus)

And man, Duel Colosseum is addictive fun. Also Man with a Machine Gun is now mine!

Squall and Firion are my most played as well.

:^:

Renzo on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zidane and Kefka are my most played (both level 100), although I've also leveled Bartz and Terra pretty far.

I'm pretty sure that Kefka is my favorite character, although I still haven't gotten any of the accessories I want for him, or even max his accessory slots, yet. My other equipment is pretty good, though, and I can consistently beat the level 120 opponents in the Lunar Whale course of the Duel Colloseum.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I hope if the blue mage makes a comeback in a later FF title that they make them less obnoxious to build up. I hate having to find and control/capture/etc enemies just to get them to use abilities.

I liked the FFIX method (at least, I think it was that one, where Quina just had to swallow them, right?)

Kimarhi in X did his well. It was atleast an attack.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kimarhi was useless in X though. I mean he was good in that he could be any "class" of character, but you had quick party change so you could just switch in the class you needed.

And more RPGs really need to take advantage of a FFX like quick switch in/switch out...a really under-appreciated addition. Mana Khemia uses a variation of it though...actually I would say the way Mana Khemia uses it is better.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Kimarhi was useless in X though. I mean he was good in that he could be any "class" of character, but you had quick party change so you could just switch in the class you needed.

And more RPGs really need to take advantage of a FFX like quick switch in/switch out...a really under-appreciated addition. Mana Khemia uses a variation of it though...actually I would say the way Mana Khemia uses it is better.

It was basically a race to get him in to Auron's grid as quickly as possible.... same for the rest actualy. once you finished their grids you go in to Aurons to make everyone super powerful.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah...Auron did get like a +2 or +3 strength sphere every other sphere.

I liked running Yuna through other people's grids the most. All her summons stats were proportional to her own and it was funny to see how their strength ballooned(because her strength is pretty low), when you raised hers.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All this talk about FFX reminds me how much I really liked their leveling up/battle system.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    GyowaroGyowaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    All this talk about FFX reminds me how much I really liked their leveling up/battle system.

It's my favourite leveling system (so far).

Gyowaro on
    Currently Playing: Dissidia, Earthbound and FF6
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's because Blue Magic is often crazy powerful, so they make you work for them a bit more. :D

Level 5 Death, for instance, bypasses death immunities. And n FF5 there are tons of ways to modify enemy level.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's because Blue Magic is often crazy powerful, so they make you work for them a bit more. :D

Level 5 Death, for instance, bypasses death immunities. And n FF5 there are tons of ways to modify enemy level.

it was all about casting invisibility on enemies right before casting death. Instant kill!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

It was basically a race to get him in to Auron's grid as quickly as possible.... same for the rest actualy. once you finished their grids you go in to Aurons to make everyone super powerful.

I sent him down Rikku's path. Early and additional stealing was nice to have.

jothki on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Finally finished storylines (not 100% of course) and am now looking at Shade Impulse.

Any recommendations on who to use to complete it? I like both Squall and Terra, not sure if one or the other would fare better in this thing.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Finally finished storylines (not 100% of course) and am now looking at Shade Impulse.

Any recommendations on who to use to complete it? I like both Squall and Terra, not sure if one or the other would fare better in this thing.

Terra's Tornado makes the last fight amazingly simple.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Of all the characters, I'm surprised at how much I love playing as Onion Knight. His HP attacks are really easy to use, and it's really cool to look at a barrage of numbers whenever you hit someone.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm just surprised with how much I like playing Gabranth. There's just something pleasing about being able to go into EX mode as fast as he does and then just murdering the opponent.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I used Terra, but apparently people have trouble beating Chaos with her, though I found it fairly easy.

Gyowaro on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really need to start grinding for mats more suited to my level (91). Force of the Resolute isn't cutting it, anymore. :(
    (Using Squall.)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, Terra.

Any abilities I should watch out for as I attempt to level her up?

Speaking of which, what's a good way to do that? I don't have access to the Colliseum yet. Should I just Quick Battle to my heart's content?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, Terra.

Speaking of which, what's a good way to do that? I don't have access to the Colliseum yet. Should I just Quick Battle to my heart's content?

The matches in the Colesseum are less uniform; you'll meet characters of varying levels, some way above your level with incredibly low HP, and "Boss" enemies who are really strong.
    However, it's still a great way to build up XP, and you get medals as you win, which you can use in the same Coliseum run to get items to craft items with (all types of Elixirs are the best). So, I would try out the Coliseum....

Aaaaand it took me until here to realize you said you don't have it. Yeah, Quickbattle.

As for abilities: you definitely want to master her Holy Combo; once you do, you can chain Holy to Flare to Ultima for a really strong HP hit..
    Aaaand you know, critical boosters will help.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, Terra.

Quick battles and going though her story mode repeatedly is how I leveled her before I got the Coliseum.
    As for moves, I found Holy, Tornado, Meteor and Meltdown the most useful.

Gyowaro on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Story mode and shade impulse are better way to level heroes. Quick battle is just for fun and to level villains.

And yeah, for moves, you don't exactly get a huge choice. It takes forever to get meltdown, and its not too reliable against higher level enemies. I generally build up brave and ex, and go for a tornado or flood one shot. If you get an inside map, though, tornado is just crazy, they can't escape it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Re: Mastering abilities. Do you only master them if you're actually using them? (I really need to read that part of the in-game guide...)

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Story mode and shade impulse are better way to level heroes. Quick battle is just for fun and to level villains.

And yeah, for moves, you don't exactly get a huge choice. It takes forever to get meltdown, and its not too reliable against higher level enemies. I generally build up brave and ex, and go for a tornado or flood one shot. If you get an inside map, though, tornado is just crazy, they can't escape it.

Meltdown is awesome when you're playing with Chaos rules, because the AI seems to get nailed with that paralyzing thing pretty often, and then you can nail them good.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Mix abilities from chemists went through immunities too. It was fun casting Berserk/Silence on spell casting bosses. :P

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Re: Mastering abilities. Do you only master them if you're actually using them? (I really need to read that part of the in-game guide...)

They have to be equipped. But you don't have to worry about making sure you use every attack in a fight or anything.

I've also heard you can get double or even AP for attacks if you equip them in more than one slot.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.

Okay, this was pretty damn funny.

I'd sig this if I had the space.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Since you haven't the space, I'll do it.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Serah:

serah1.jpg

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Building up my Terra now. Level 25 at the moment. Holy Combo is fun. :)

Re: the leveling trick with ExDeath- is all I have to do purchase ExDeath with PP, then Quickbattle? Or is it more involved than that?

Also, what's recommended for farming AP?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Building up my Terra now. Level 25 at the moment. Holy Combo is fun. :)

Re: the leveling trick with ExDeath- is all I have to do purchase ExDeath with PP, then Quickbattle? Or is it more involved than that?

Also, what's recommended for farming AP?

The leveling trick requires you to have unlocked all the CPU Level + options, although you could fight a lower-level Exdeath, you just won't gain XP as fast. You also need to set his equipment at max, and setting the AI to "cautious" makes things easier.

For AP, you need to unlock Chaos, I forget how much AP he gives, but quickbattling him @ lvl 1 over and over gets you lots of AP quick.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I quick battled a Lvl 1 Chaos I got all of 3 AP out of it. Wouldn't be too bad except you have to battle all three forms. Its still quicker than quick battling a Lvl 1 something else 3 times in a row, but the AP gain doesn't seem to be ass quick as some led me to believe.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    When I quick battled a Lvl 1 Chaos I got all of 3 AP out of it. Wouldn't be too bad except you have to battle all three forms. Its still quicker than quick battling a Lvl 1 something else 3 times in a row, but the AP gain doesn't seem to be ass quick as some led me to believe.

You really have to be doing it on an AP day, with the AP+ reward bought, and wearing diamond armor. Then you'll gain about 36 points if you fulfill the AP chance. Equip a diamond ring, and the total jumps up to 90 points.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."