As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batman comics

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Well, they're basically the same character, but yeah, I meant Green Arrow.

Yeah the ultimate liberal who became the world's greatest archer while trying to survive on a desert island and the definition of a conservative who is a fucking space cop they sure are the same character

Well, I didn't say they were EXACTLY the same, just basically.

They aren't even close on any level other than "green"

At all

PS Don't read Final Crisis if you've been out of comics for a while, it makes no sense and the end of RIP can easily be taken as the cause of the continuity shift

Me Too! on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd find it entertaining if Gotham wasn't anywhere near as bad as its made out to be, and that a lot of the police corruption and stuff like that was part of batman's sociopathic illusions.

definitely wouldn't work in continuity for obvious reasons but would be a fun branch to explore.

Reminds me of "What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"
    The Alfred/Joker story where Bruce goes out to fight crime but it isn't working the way he thought it would and he starts getting depressed, so Alfred gets his former acting buddies to come to Gotham and become supervillains for Batman to fight.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, they're basically the same character, but yeah, I meant Green Arrow.

Yeah the ultimate liberal who became the world's greatest archer while trying to survive on a desert island and the definition of a conservative who is a fucking space cop they sure are the same character

Well, I didn't say they were EXACTLY the same, just basically.

They aren't even close on any level other than "green"

At all

PS Don't read Final Crisis if you've been out of comics for a while, it makes no sense and the end of RIP can easily be taken as the cause of the continuity shift

Except it can't, because the Final Crisis Tie-In issues of batman are also in the RIP hardcover!

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Skip

Final

Crisis

The end of RIP with
    The helicopter exploding and Dick finding the cowl

Does the same thing as Final Crisis 6 without being fucking confusing

Me Too! on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Finished.

Best Batman game ever? Probably.

Best superhero game? Surely.

Though the final boss is a little weak.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Clearly you've never played Superman 64

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Finished.

This doesn't make sense

Batman Game = Superhero Game
    Superhero Game =/= Batman Game

If this is the best Superhero Game, it HAS to be the best Batman Game.
    YOU HAVE COME UNDONE, SIR.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2009
    Tairu wrote: »
    Finished.

This doesn't make sense

Pull this thread as he walks away

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Finished.

This doesn't make sense

I am doing this slow slow chuckle

Me Too! on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Finished.

This doesn't make sense

I am doing this slow slow chuckle

Hate to see you lyin' there in your Batman skivvies.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nope didn't get that one at all

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Noooooope neither did I

Nope never

(No really I didn't)

Faynor on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Weezer reference. Specifically, The Sweater Song

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not really super into comic books, but I saw Green Arrow use a punching glove arrow once and wrote him off as the lamest character ever since.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I'm not really super into comic books, but I saw Green Arrow use a punching glove arrow once and wrote him off as the lamest character ever since.

Judging characters by things they did in the Silver Age is rarely wise when talking about modern day comics. The two most recent appearances of the boxing glove arrow had Oliver Queen, the original Green Arrow, pull it from his quiver as a last resort and murmuring, "My God. We meet again," as well as Connor Hawke, the second Green Arrow, and son of the original, using it to knock out a villain after exclaiming something like, "Smoke bomb arrows, flash arrows, boxing glove arrows! How about just one! pointed! arrow, Dad!?"

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »

Judging characters by things they did in the Silver Age is rarely wise when talking about modern day comics. The two most recent appearances of the boxing glove arrow had Oliver Queen, the original Green Arrow, pull it from his quiver as a last resort and murmuring, "My God. We meet again," as well as Connor Hawke, the second Green Arrow, and son of the original, using it to knock out a villain after exclaiming something like, "Smoke bomb arrows, flash arrows, boxing glove arrows! How about just one! pointed! arrow, Dad!?"

Despite this, hes not wrong in thinking Green Arrow is the lamest hero ever. Even lamer than Aquaman.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

If I remember correctly, he actually used a boxing glove arrow in his first appearance on the JLU series.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The handcuff arrow is the most ridiculous. I can barely swallow a bola arrow to tie up a fleeing villain but an arrow that transforms into handcuffs in mid-flight? Boo.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    whoa now

Ollie is not the worst hero

at least he helped the black man

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    whoa now

Ollie is not the worst hero

at least he helped the black man

Green Arrow said some strange things when Black Lightning was invited to join the JLA back in 1977.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So Batman Beyond is getting a mini series.

Hooray!

Kyougu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Hooray!

Bwaaahhhhhh?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

If I remember correctly, he actually used a boxing glove arrow in his first appearance on the JLU series.

Yes I loved JLU. It's basically my only direct involvement with comics. I watched all the JL/JLU episodes. My brother was in the room when he used the punching glove arrow and saw it, the horror!

P.S. JL/JLU DCU stuff was awesome, hope they make some more eventually.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Hooray!

Bwaaahhhhhh?

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/08/24/batman-beyond-returns/
    “There will be a Terry McGinnis mini-series early next year. We’ve heard the fans, we’ve heard everyone’s interest. And right now we’re planning to put out a Batman Beyond mini-series in 2010.”

Kyougu on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh, I thought Batman #690 comes out next week, not tomorrow.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Despite this, hes not wrong in thinking Green Arrow is the lamest hero ever. Even lamer than Aquaman.

Aquaman and Green Arrow are both awesome!

Do you ever say anything not wrong?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seriously. I knew people erroneously believed Aquaman to be lame, but Green Arrow?

For shame people.

Now, Green Arrow's comic currently kind of blows, but the character himself is rock solid.

Munch on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seriously. I knew people erroneously believed Aquaman to be lame, but Green Arrow?

For shame people.

Now, Green Arrow's comic currently kind of blows, but the character himself is rock solid.

Well, I know everyone I worked with based their opinions of Green Arrow off of the Smallville character. That could explain a lot.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well Im basing my opinions off the JLU version. Who wears a little cap and uses sissy trick arrows. Yeah, yeah its all inspiring and shit when he stands up to Hulk-General or whatever that was but hes still a lame-ass character.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Green Arrow was one of my absolute favorites in JLU. And this is coming from someone who'd never read a Green Arrow comic before. He's one of the funnier characters with the most personality. I'd kill for a Green Arrow/Question cartoon.

I even love the trick arrows. Like the buzzsaw arrow that he uses to cut himself out of a block of ice. Now that's dedication to your theme.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darth Nat wrote: »
    Green Arrow was one of my absolute favorites in JLU. And this is coming from someone who'd never read a Green Arrow comic before. He's one of the funnier characters with the most personality. I'd kill for a Green Arrow/Question cartoon.

I even love the trick arrows. Like the buzzsaw arrow that he uses to cut himself out of a block of ice. Now that's dedication to your theme.

I fully agree with this post.

I knew nothing about Green Arrow before JLU. I just knew he existed, and assumed he was lame because he was just some guy with a bow. I always thought Hawkeye was kind of lame as a kid, too; but he hung out with the avengers, so that gave him some cred.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only time I liked Green Arrow was the Winnick/McDaniel OYL stuff.

What really annoys me is that for the most part everyone sits there and lets Green Arrow lecture them on whatever twig gets stuck up Ollie's ass, and never really tell him to suck it unless it was GL pointing out Speedy was a drug addict. Maybe that's why I liked Hawkman going "No, fuck you and your bitching." punch punch Brad Meltzer it was always about politics.

I tried reading some of the O'Neil/Adams GL/GA, and man is it hard to get through these days. Like delicious Nutella the commentary was laid on so thick and it was always "Don't you see how wrong you are, white space cop?!"

Connor Hawke is awesome though. JLA #9 with him taking on Key is one of my favorite issues ever.

This is why I'm fine with Bruce just being this billionaire philanthropist who doesn't really get political (except when they make him endorse the democrat candidate but only as Bruce Wayne so you don't really know if it's an act or if he means it man that's a long run on)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't stand GA. I don't like any facet of him whatsoever.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Look

Archer's Quest is the best GA story ever

Me Too! on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I actually really enjoyed the Green Arrow: Year One mini from a year or so ago.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't realize that people still thought good characters were the ones with the most badass violent super awesome powers. I thought people grew out of that some time in the 6th grade.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The best characters are the ones with good personalities AND powers!

Faynor on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Connor Hawke is awesome though. JLA #9 with him taking on Key is one of my favorite issues ever.

Man, what happened to this kid lately? I loved it when he stepped up as Green Arrow on Morrison's Justice League run, but I have no idea where he is today.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He was destroyed by Winnick in the Green Arrow/Black Canary series.

from wiki-wiki-pedia, yo:
    However, after Oliver and Dinah return home from getting married (the first marriage being void, with an imposter posing as Ollie), the nurses tending to Connor are found dead, with Connor himself missing. Oliver begins a quest to find his missing son. This quest leads him to Dr. Sivana, who has utilised a neural patch to turn Connor into a mindless drone. Connor is rescued by Oliver and returned to his hospital bed, where he finally awakens from his comatose state.

After his coma, however, Connor starts exhibiting several unusual traits. Physically healthy, he's now amnesiac and oblivious to everything happened to him before waking up (even his life as a superhero), he feels no pain at all and exhibits a strong healing factor, forcing Dinah to ask for outside help.

A brief examination of his physical make-up, made by Batman and Doctor Mid-Nite, reveals how his DNA is now spliced with Plastic Man's, along with several other alterations fully accounting for his new healing factor and his currently very high pain thresold. His memories however come back only in a fragmentary, confused way, with none of the emotional attachments previously experienced, and his archery prowess is fully gone. To make up for his inability to use ranged weaponry Connor retains his mastery of the martial arts, enhanced by his advanced healing factor, able to close up bullet wounds in mere seconds.

The sad thing about it is that Kelley Puckett co-created Connor Hawke, and was also the same person who helped co-create Batgirl Cassandra Cain. That's two good new characters in the DC stable that have been punched in the proverbial groin.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Man, what happened to this kid lately? I loved it when he stepped up as Green Arrow on Morrison's Justice League run, but I have no idea where he is today.

He's been mindwiped and turned into Plastic Man??

Also he can't shoot a bow and arrow anymore

Basically eff you Judd Winick.

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.