As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

European Honeymoon

AridholAridhol Daddliest CatchRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm getting married late september and I have october 2nd to 16th off. We'd like to go to Europe for ye olde honeymoon. Yes, this is yet another travel thread by Aridhol, I'll stop making them when you stop being so helpful!

The basic's:

Want to go to Paris first for at least 3/4 days.
Want to see at least one other country possibly 2
We want to see cool things, historical things, and we like to eat.

Other things:

We're not looking for luxury, a place to sleep privately, quietly, and in general comfort.
We don't speak anything but will damn well try to learn some stuff beforehand

My questions are:

What are some good hotels within range of the cool stuff in Paris (we're going to get a metropass)
What should we be seeing, we've got all the major Paris stuff but what else?
What other country or countries should we visit? Strong contenders are Germany (her family history) and Great Britain (mine) though I'd also like to see Rome.
What is the cheapest way to get to other countries?

That's all that I can think of right now, thanks in advance.

Aridhol on

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cheapest way to travel around Europe is Interrail. I'm biased, cos I'm English, but come to England! Try to learn some French, even if its just to order food and drinks - Parisiens can be very snotty, but will respond much more positively if you try to speak French, it doesn't matter how badly.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Non-Europeans can't use Interrail passes, they have to get Eurail passes instead. Bear in mind that if you have an itinerary and book in advance, the pass won't necessarily work out cheaper, and on some trains you still have to pay a supplement. The primary benefit of the pass is flexibility.

For cheap hotels, there's booking.com. Paris is a good place to start, because there are high speed trains practically anywhere, including two hours by Eurostar to London and overnight sleeper trains to other capitals (Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, etc), they're more expensive, but you don't lose a day to travelling because you set off late evening and step off the train in the morning, and you don't have to pay for a hotel for that night.

japan on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well Rome is always nice and reasonably easy for us English speakers. It is a very pretty city too. Bonus points if you are of Italian extraction, a Catholic, a Classics buff or someone who's played Rome: Total War.

Or what you could do is maybe go from Paris to Belgium - stop off in Brussels or Antwerp (both are good for a day trip) en route to Amsterdam (go by train like LewieP's Mummy says) then spend 2 or 3 days there. If you are still up for another country you could go by train to one of the north German cities like say Hanover or Hamburg. Or fly to say Copenhagen in Denmark, or over to London. Both are short hops, with the latter having the advantage of having loads of connecting flights to North America

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    one thing i will say is.
    have you ever been to paris before?
    Because seriously plan every second that you are going to spend there, make sure your hotel is very close to what you want to see, and you are aware of lots and lots of handy nice places to eat.

Paris is actually an atrocious slums of a city, it's very big, disconcerting and apart from the big tourist buildings (louvre, eiffel tower) its basically just a massive residential area. Also the majority of the tourist attractions are very very spaced apart. Don't just go out and think "lets do paris" because you won't get anywhere and it won't be much fun.
    Also don't use the roads, or trust taxi drivers, all the cars have dents in them for a reason. When me and my buddy got a taxi in paris the taxi driver (and numerous other drivers) were running reds, driving on the wrong side of the road and frequently knocking over mopeds. Also don't hire out mopeds.

Also the police over there are wierd. They sort of just hang around in large groups on street corners smoking and spinning their guns "cowboy style". While i was there, we saw a dead hobo lying face down in the gutter in the middle of the mainstreet, with people sorta just stepping over him and the police where nearby looking at him and goofing off.

I'm sorry for the over the top tips, but i regail the tales of my time in paris to anyone i know who's planning a trip.

You should also know that there's actually a type of depression linked soley to going to paris and being disappointed by how bad it was. I don't know anyone who has it though >.>

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Avoid Paris... they dont welcome tourists very well. Try Prague, Germany, Austria (see Mozart's home). Central Europe is where it's at!

Awk on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awk wrote: »
    Avoid Paris... they dont welcome tourists very well.

Completely false. Like, 300% false. Also, I don't know what happened to pogo, but I traveled to Paris 8-10 times or so in about a 7 year period while working in the travel industry and couldn't disagree more with much of his assessment. Paris is one of my favorite cities in the world to just go out and walk and enjoy what you come across with no more of a destination in mind then, "I think I'll walk towards the Eiffel Tower." Or the Louvre. Or Montmartre, or what have you. It is eminently easy to just leave the hotel and "do Paris" as long as you don't go with something way out of the central area.

I'll post up some tips and suggestions tomorrow after some sleep, but that needed to be said in the meantime. Off the top of my head consider either something on the Left Bank or maybe near the Opera when trying to find a Paris hotel that works as a combination of location and value. The ideal location for me would be near the Place de la Concorde, but I don't think you'll find anything reasonable too close to there. I'll try to check out reviews and pricing on hotels I used to recommend to clients staying in Paris.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I had only good experiences in Paris, for what it matters

Kalkino on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One thing to consider:

Part of the reason for a honeymoon is to relax. Everyone I've ever talked to is more tired when they get back from a trip to Europe than they were before. There's just so much to do.

However, this may be what you guys want, and if so that's great. More power to you and all that.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know you said you didn't want anything fancy, but I really recommend Monograms tours. They pretty much just have you do what you want, but they help you get around, learn the city, etc.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Any good cheap ways for two Americans to tour the UK or France?

Me and my fiancee would like to hit up Europe for a honeymoon as well.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My wife and I are going to Italy in 2 weeks for our honeymoon. The first 4 days will be spent in and around Rome doing touristy things. The next week or so will be spent relaxing in Sorento... so we can do a little bit of both (relaxing and crazy touring).

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    One thing to consider:

Part of the reason for a honeymoon is to relax. Everyone I've ever talked to is more tired when they get back from a trip to Europe than they were before. There's just so much to do.

However, this may be what you guys want, and if so that's great. More power to you and all that.

I think this is at least partially down to a tendency for people (I say people, it seems to be uniquely an American tourist thing) to set out with the intention of "seeing Europe". Even if you consider the EU alone, your still talking about 27 countries spread over a geographical area the size of a continent.

This is beside the point that even if you restrict yourself to the obvious touristy things, you won't run out of things to do in any one country, or even one city, in a couple of weeks.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    japan wrote: »
    One thing to consider:

I think this is at least partially down to a tendency for people (I say people, it seems to be uniquely an American tourist thing) to set out with the intention of "seeing Europe". Even if you consider the EU alone, your still talking about 27 countries spread over a geographical area the size of a continent.

This is beside the point that even if you restrict yourself to the obvious touristy things, you won't run out of things to do in any one country, or even one city, in a couple of weeks.

and generally it appears that most people are not used to walking about or being on their feet all day, so doing that for a couple of weeks can really suck it out.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    One thing to consider:

and generally it appears that most people are not used to walking about or being on their feet all day, so doing that for a couple of weeks can really suck it out.

Yes, there's no rush.

I know a lot of Americans who have 'done' somewhere (a city, a country, whatever) in a day. They haven't. They've seen a few roads, a hotel room, the inside of a coffee shop (probably a Starbucks) and had a cursory glance at a few of the biggest tourist attractions.

I've lived in or near London for a couple of decades and still find new things. I know people who have occupied themselves for ~9 months of unemployment here by just walking to free museums and things. London is bigger than most places, but even accounting for that, there is a lot to see in Europe.

My advice is go somewhere you're unlikely to get rained on constantly.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My wife and I honeymooned in France in 2006. We did 3 days at Disneyland Paris, and 3 days in Paris proper. It was fantastic- and the people there were exceptional. We must have looked like tourists, because everyone one we interacted with immediately opened up to us in english, without us saying a word beforehand.

I can recommend the small hotel we stayed at that was walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, with easy access to the METRO.

I do second the opinion that you should plan out what/where you want to visit prior to going- it'll help out a lot- all you have to do is figure out how to get there.

Tach on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    corcorigan wrote: »
    My advice is go somewhere you're unlikely to get rained on constantly.

in other words, not the UK or Ireland.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Hlubocky wrote: »
    My wife and I are going to Italy in 2 weeks for our honeymoon. The first 4 days will be spent in and around Rome doing touristy things. The next week or so will be spent relaxing in Sorento... so we can do a little bit of both (relaxing and crazy touring).

We did something very similar only it was Venice and Capri. Rome sounded a bit too busy for our fancy.

As we live in the UK, I guess we didn't feel the pressing urge to hardcore tourist our honeymoon, it's not that hard or expensive for us to hit European tourist spots another time. Chilling out in Italy is where it's at.

Paris is great as well though. The notion that it isn't friendly to tourists is perplexing. It's a huge tourism hotspot, loads to do, gobs of fantastic art museums, restaurants etc. Hell, it has it's own Disneyland for peats sake. You can't say a city with it's own Disneyland on it's doorstep doesn't welcome tourists very well. I just love exploring Paris though.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't say much for France (I've wanted to see Orleans...not so interested in Paris), but there's plenty of variety to be had pretty much everywhere. I'll also second Prague if you can get there (I'm not sure if I can completely second the "It's Germany if Germany hadn't had the crap bombed out of it in WW2," but it does look very nice). As for travel, Ryanair usually has insanely cheap prices if you book in advance (but make sure you don't mind being packed in a sardine can for 1-3 hours and that you're aware you're going to be spending €10-30 on a shuttle or train getting from an airport in the boonies to the nearby major city).

For closer to France, there's tons of stuff along the border.

On the French side bordering Germany you've got Elsass-Lothringen/Lorraine-Alsace which has a ...colorful history of Alsatian culture which amounts to being the border battleground between Germany and France. Most prominently, Strasbourg has quite a few famous churches and a cathedral. Plenty of romantic type bridges and other assorted sites. Strasbourg also hosts plenty of headquarters for EU agencies, so if you're into politics there's something more modern to see (including the parliament).

Further north along the Rhine you approach Germany's Ruhrgebiet, but along the upper Rhine (south of the Ruhrgebiet, which tends to be full of factories and industry) there're quite a few castles and smaller cities. A lot of areas tend to have tours along the Rhine river. In later summer and early fall there tend to be a lot of harvest festivals, but October might be slightly too late for that.

As a bit more of a plug for somewhere I personally enjoyed visiting:

A bit further north (deviating from the Rhine) at the German/Belgian/Dutch border is Aachen which was the center of Charlemagne/Charles the Great/Karl der Große's court for much of his time as ruler of the Frankish Carolingian empire. There's not an abundance of specific sites to see (Aachen is relatively small - although it is near Cologne/Köln), but it has historic flair and good positioning next to the border and near some larger German cities. Of greatest note in the town itself are the city hall, the cathedral, and the thermal baths.

My favorite was the cathedral, which was built upon request for Charlemagne. The original structure was built in the circular Byzantine style, making it one of the few cathedrals in Catholic Europe to not have a cross-shaped footprint (plus there's other exciting things to note like Charlemagne's resting place, the chandelier donated by Friedrich Barbarossa, and other stuff). If you're a Charlemagne buff it's pretty much the place to visit.

Aachen is also somewhat famous for its hot springs. I'm not sure how functional they are as natural hot springs, but the Carolus Thermen mentioned on Wikipedia in the link above is a functional water resort that does feature hot tubs, saunas and swimming pools (and a relatively relaxing atmosphere).

Additionally, the close proximity to Belgium and the Netherlands means that visiting two additional countries is a short day trip away. The neighboring Dutch and Belgian cities are relatively small (and reachable via bus from Aachen), so they provide a nice rural backdrop (there are cows; cows are always neat). Unfortunately when I went I was unable to find Brussels/Belgian waffles in Belgium, but if you go maybe you'll have more luck.

Luxembourg is also pretty close, and you could probably squeeze it in if you plan to thoroughly explore the Benelux/French/German area. Even if just to say you visited another country (although they're supposed to have some neat stuff there, as well).

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Could I recommend the Dalmatian coast of Croatia - absolutely breath takingly beautiful - particularly the walled town of Dubrovnik. Would make an awesome honey moon location.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    AndeAnde Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just a quick note about 'doing' Paris: get the 'L'Open Tour' bus pass!

Basically, you can get a 1 or 2 day pass for the buss route that goes around the city with about 50 stops. You can get off at, for example, the Louvre, go through the museum, and get on the next bus that gets to the stop. Continue to the Eiffel Tower, get off, spend however long you want there, and catch the next bus. I think there was busses every 15 minutes or half hour. It's great because the busses cover pretty much all the tourist hot spots, but there's no time limits at the stops. Also, there's free earphones for the commentary in Engligh (or French, or Spanish, or whatever), so you can still learn stuff about the places you skip.

Getting around the city without the bus pass is also easy. There is NOWHERE in Paris that is more than 500 meters from a MERTO stop. Literally.

Also, Parisiens love tourists! They love showing off their city! Walk into any store in France, and I garentee you will be greeted not only by the staff, but by other customers. And if you're standing there with a map looking confused, they're quite happy to help. Speaking French does help, but pretty much anyone can point to a place on a map and point in that direction in the city.

Edit: found this site for the bus passes http://french-at-a-touch.tourpackagers.com/detail1.aspx?ID=11

Ande on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Go to Switzerland and see the Matterhorn on a helicopter tour.
    matterhorn2.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hlubocky wrote: »

If you have the time - go out to Ostia Antica - it is the old port city of Rome. If it is a nice day then one can just wander about outdoors amongst grass and ruins, and compared to Rome itself it is far less crowded. You would need to budget at least half a day though, which might be tight on your timeframe if you have lots of other stuff you want to do

Kalkino on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    one thing i will say is.
    Because seriously plan every second that you are going to spend there, make sure your hotel is very close to what you want to see, and you are aware of lots and lots of handy nice places to eat.

Paris is actually an atrocious slums of a city, it's very big, disconcerting and apart from the big tourist buildings (louvre, eiffel tower) its basically just a massive residential area. Also the majority of the tourist attractions are very very spaced apart. Don't just go out and think "lets do paris" because you won't get anywhere and it won't be much fun.
    Also don't use the roads, or trust taxi drivers, all the cars have dents in them for a reason. When me and my buddy got a taxi in paris the taxi driver (and numerous other drivers) were running reds, driving on the wrong side of the road and frequently knocking over mopeds. Also don't hire out mopeds.

Also the police over there are wierd. They sort of just hang around in large groups on street corners smoking and spinning their guns "cowboy style". While i was there, we saw a dead hobo lying face down in the gutter in the middle of the mainstreet, with people sorta just stepping over him and the police where nearby looking at him and goofing off.

I'm sorry for the over the top tips, but i regail the tales of my time in paris to anyone i know who's planning a trip.

You should also know that there's actually a type of depression linked soley to going to paris and being disappointed by how bad it was. I don't know anyone who has it though >.>

I don't know about dead hobos but sadly this is fairly accurate. The police in Paris are just like another gang and they don't like foreigners much so I would avoid them like the plague. Also for the love of god don't leave the centre of the city. The non touristy outlying parts of the city are pretty much the Bronx but worse.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Casual wrote: »
    one thing i will say is.

I don't know about dead hobos but sadly this is fairly accurate. The police in Paris are just like another gang and they don't like foreigners much so I would avoid them like the plague. Also for the love of god don't leave the centre of the city. The non touristy outlying parts of the city are pretty much the Bronx but worse.

Hmm, well I must admit the first and only time I've seen police take a piss on the street was in Paris, about 25m from Notre Dame - Gendarmerie if I recall correctly. That was rather odd, but hey, if you have to go you have to go right?

Kalkino on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Go to Switzerland and see the Matterhorn on a helicopter tour.
    matterhorn2.jpg

Hell yes. I can't say enough awesome things about Switzerland. The beauty of the landscape is simply amazing.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    American here, been living in Paris 3 weeks per month, halfway through a one-year consulting job. Some notes:

The stereotype of Parisians hating tourists, especially American tourists, is crap. Most people here are super nice, except the occasional snotty waiter (they do exist).

Paris is large, and the tourist attractions are spread out, but the Metro/RER will take you pretty much wherever you want to go. It couldn't be easier.

Get used to seeing the cops patrolling the train stations and shopping malls with assault rifles. Build-a-Bear Workshop must be protected at all costs, apparently.

My favorite "tourist" thing I've done so far is the Musée Marmottan. Montmarte is also pretty awesome.

If someone tries to give your wife a rose, it's not free. Don't take it. It's highly unlikely you'll get mugged in Paris, but there are people at every turn with creative methods to try to separate you from your money.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello