As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Card Oddities (System doesn't boot. Sometimes.)

AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
Alrighty. When I try to turn on my computer (cold boot, not resume from Sleep), there are occasions when the video card seems to act oddly.

Normally, when I turn on the computer, the fan on the card (a Gainward Radeon 4870) will go to full blast, drop down, then go to full again for a second or two, before dropping again. The monitor then starts to receive a signal, and the system POSTs happily and carries on booting.

Now, while the system still boots normally most of the time, there are quite a few instances where the fan will either remain on full blast, or not drop down the second time. The motherboard then gives one long and three short beeps; googling shows that that's the indication for No VGA Found.

It seems that the only way I can fix it is to just turn off the system and leave it alone for a little bit (less than a minute). Then everything boots up as normal.

I'm not entirely sure just what's going on, though. I can play all my games without any issues (no artifacts, no sudden crashes, slowdowns, etc.), and everything else seems pretty OK.

I've been having this issue (or similar) for quite some time, but the case I have (Antec Nine Hundred) has no case speaker, so I just didn't know exactly what was going on. A few weeks ago I couldn't boot the system at all, so I sent it to a repair shop; they put a case speaker in and determined that problem to be defective RAM, which they replaced (2 out of 4 sticks).

I've got a 750W Corsair PSU in here, running an Asus P5Q-E Motherboard with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300. I've got 2 optical drives and 1 HDD, but I don't think the PSU is the issue here (nevertheless, I could very well be wrong :P)

Any ideas?

steam_sig.png
Ayulin on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, AFTER the repair and RAM change it's still doing the exact same thing?

Did you try other parts? Other GPU and other PSU at least?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Either your video card is fucked or your motherboard PCI-E slot is.

If the repair shop has another video card they could try it with try that.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hrm. That's the thing, though, since for the most part everything works just fine. When I brought it to the store, the thing just wouldn't boot at all, no matter what; removing two of the sticks of RAM fixed it, so they replaced the sticks free of charge (think they just RMAed the broken ones after opening a new pack or something.)

I didn't change anything else, since it's very much an on and off kind of thing and I didn't know what to do.

EDIT: Well, it didn't boot again this morning. I noticed there were a few LEDs on the back of the card, though, and the first one would flash 3 times; a Google search said the first LED indicates that the first PCI-E power connector isn't hooked up properly, so I took out the card, unconnected and reconnected the power connectors, then reseated the card. That seems to have worked for now.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png