As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC]InSpectres: Busting Ghosts and Eating Spectre Snacks

• summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Come on, people! There's something strange in our neighborhood! Fucking ghosts out the ass that need busting! We don't even have a company yet! Fucking fuck!

Also, the EctoNab'm 6000 is now the EctoNabs'm 6000, for a more robust punning experience.

summeryclept on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Megazver wrote: »
    Take your time.

Sorry - thought I'd have more time than I did. But I'm going to work on it right now!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2009
    Vin Renato

Academics - 1
    Athletics - 2
    Technology - 2
    Contact - 4

Former occupation: Soap Opera Star

Talent: Improbable Weapons User

Description: Vin Renato! Star of the Screen and Stage! Well, of the small screen and the even smaller stage, but to Soap Opera fans Vin Renato is the King of Villainy - especially when it appears smug, grandiose, and overly complex. Vin (nee Alvin) is one of the few Soap Opera Stars to parlay his acting abilities (such as his infamous "Displaying Emotions Not Relevant To The Scene") into three different long running soap operas, Everything's Terrible at Lovely Place, These Days of Passion, and Into the Sun. Unfortunately, Vin's character on Into the Sun, the supernatural "Mr. DeCozer" was recently written out of the series due to creative differences between Vin and the Studio.

Scene:
    "For the life of me, I can't understand why you all keep coming to me. I am a busy man! I am an ACTOR! That is of the utmost importance! The highest calling!" Vin regards himself in the reflection of the glass on the snack dispenser. Ruffled hair, just so. Devilishy sharp goatee, impeccable. Menacingly arched eyebrow, PERFECT. He turns to the little man in the pointed red hat. "It is just inconvenient to me that I am the only man capable of solving your problems. My greatness should afford me more luxury! Speaking of which, my robe seems to have no pockets for money. Do you have sixty cents?"

"No, I don't. I-"

"Well that's damn inconvenient. Be a good little dwarf and crawl in there and fetch me a candy bar, will you?"

"I'm a gnome!"

Vin looks away from the little man and back towards his reflection. "No, no, that's not right. Gnomes can't talk. They just stand in your garden and plot murder all day."

"What?!"

"Though if you were a gnome, your head should be hard enough for this." Vin picks up the gnome by his stubby ankle and smashes him into the snack machine several times until the glass breaks. Satisfied, he drops the gnome and pilfers a candy bar. "No, wait. Gnomes are made out of clay. That shouldn't have been possible." He regards the unconscious heap and the smashed red hat. "You must be a leprechaun. Aha! I have caught you! I am The KING!"

He walks away, unwrapping his candy bar. "THE KING OF NOUGAT!"

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2009
    Into the Sun sounds like the best show ever.

summeryclept on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Archer Roland Pierce

Academics- 3
    Athletics- 4
    Technology- 1
    Contact- 1

Former Occupation: Graduate Student / Garbageman

Description : Attractive but off-putting. Intelligent but unambitious. Archer is/was studying Philosophy at the local high-brow college. He liked philosophy largely because...much of deals with things unearthly or intangible.... Not being a big fan of the mundane, he finds this attractive.

Part of the reason he finds the idea of being an InSpectre so appealing. He doesn't have much of a social life, and spends most of his time either scavenging various goods of interest (to him) or coming up with new theories (ghost and non-ghost related).

He has currently amassed a large amount of Halloween masks and costumes from a Party Story that went out of business... He did this as part of a larger scheme in which he attempts to scare ghosts and other monsters by pretending to be a monster himself ;-)

Hes not sure if it will work...

Scene

"So you guys saw what went on in there, huh?"

Archer looks slightly awkward infront of the camera.

Cameraman- "You kinda blew it with that girl in there..."

The side of Archer's mouth twinges a little bit, as he starts to look down

"Well you see the thing is.... I've kinda postulate the possible outcomes of what would happen if I started dating a girl like that...and it just doesn't.."

"I mean if they saw what I have in my room..shrunken heads, supposedly 1st edition copies of the Necronomicon, various masks supposed blessed or cursed by Voodoo Priests.."

Archer looks to the side "I really need to get to labeling those...." his eyes seem a bit concerned

"Anyways you can't be a hero and have a love life, right?"

Silence

"Right?"

--Moments Later---

"The thing with the werewolf yeah..."

*Flashback*

Archer is wearing a Appalachian Mask of what looks like a lion..but could be a wolf....its kinda hard to discern if its canine or feline

A werewolf is standing menacingly in front of him

An inSpectre yells from the distance "Archer, what the fuck are you doing!?"

"I'm calming him, I'm presenting myself as Wolfgisa - the mother of all wearwolves."

"There thats a good boy" Archer puts out his hands in as un-menacing as possible

The Werewolf looks a tad confused. Archer bravely approaches and pats him on the head

"See thats a good boy...." The werewolf appears to appreciate it

In a momentarily lapse Archer turns around and yells "..I told you guys this would work..."

...He is suddenly tackled by the werewolf...

So I did this on the spot, hope its not terrible

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    Archer needs a talent.

Speaking of which, is Master Chef the talent for Valentin?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are you still recruiting, or is that a trap to catch the unwary? Because I'd be game if there's still room.

PolloDiablo on
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Archer needs a talent.

I was trying to think of one, but unfortunately I'm not sure what is applicable within the ruleset.

(e.g. what I could get a +1 bonus to and what categories its limited to)

Egos on
  • MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are you still recruiting, or is that a trap to catch the unwary? Because I'd be game if there's still room.

Well, I've got four submissions and two more incoming, (although I have a sneaking suspicion mightyspacepope might've forgotten about this thread.) Man, on one hand I don't want to exclude anyone, on the other hand I'm not sure that even six players isn't too many for this game. Fine, submit one. Then, maybe I'll flip a coin or something and waste days and days of somebody's hard effort. While laughing. Or maybe I won't!
    Ringo wrote: »
    Archer needs a talent.

Speaking of which, is Master Chef the talent for Valentin?

I think Stygian wanted the talent to be the Metal Hand. I'll allow it for now and see how it works.

Speaking of talents, the main rulebook has the following as the examples: Computers, Car Mechanic, Football Player, Star Trek Geek, Don Juan, Ninja Training, Librarian, Botany. Don't be afraid to submit anything you want. I'll just ask you to pick something else, if I don't think it'll work.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well, I've got four submissions and two more incoming, (although I have a sneaking suspicion mightyspacepope might've forgotten about this thread.) Man, on one hand I don't want to exclude anyone, on the other hand I'm not sure that even six players isn't too many for this game. Fine, submit one. Then, maybe I'll flip a coin or something and waste days and days of somebody's hard effort. While laughing. Or maybe I won't!

That's fine. I'm content to watch.

PolloDiablo on
  • ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd love to join in on this game, too bad I was a few days late to the party. But, if you're gonna run this again after all is said and done, I'd join in that one.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to bow out due to other people stepping up to the plate and to some real life baggage piling up.

I'll definitely be watching this, though.

mightyspacepope on
    edited September 2009
    Pollo/Zerinan: Make up characters and then at least you'll have one for the next adventure and/or something to use if somebody has to drop out? Hell, depending on the rules anybody extra who joins in could maybe help us make up our Franchise and then just have to sit the first mission out as an alternate.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited September 2009
    Jason Hart

Former Career: Detective

Academic: 1
    Athletics: 3
    Technology: 3
    Cool: Zero

Talent: Film Noir/Detective movie knowledge (or obsession)

Jason Hart is a tall and slightly muscular man in his thirties. He's had an obsession with detective shows and the like since he was a kid, and a few years back he invested most of his money to start his own detective agency. Of course, that failed spectacularly. Who knew you actually needed to have training in order to succeed at solving crimes? Just because he's no longer following his detective dreams, doesn't mean he can't look the part. He regularly wears a trench coat and hat (think Dick Tracy).

Sample Post:
    Jason anxiously looks at his watch, for the third time in just as many minutes.

"Damn it! I knew I should have gotten that alarm fixed. I would be at the clients house by now, starting my first official case, but no! Now I'm already twenty minutes late!" Just as he finishes yelling to himself, traffic started inching it's way forward.

"About time! I've been stuck here for nearly ten minutes!" He exclaims, while turning the ignition. All he gets in response is the sound of the engine struggling to start, and then sputtering off.

".... Fuck."

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was out of town, sorry about that.

yes, his talent is the Metal hand, o' Awesome.

StygianSmileyFace on
    edited September 2009
    Double post: Where does the adventure take place again? Are we in the Americas or some little European country?

StygianSmileyFace on
    edited September 2009
    Could there be a talent like

Occult Appeal
    or
    Ghoulish Charm

+1 to being found appealing (in various ways ;-) ) by sentient Undead or Supernatural?

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    Double post: Where does the adventure take place again? Are we in the Americas or some little European country?

Well, I'm thinking a generic city somewhere in USA. I'm not going to set the game in any specific American city because I'm not really familiar with any of them and I think someone will assassinate me if I let you capitalist pigdogs defile some European one. Feel free to suggest any other settings, though!

Also, I am writing the post about Franchise creation and we can finally start cooking as soon as I post it! Someday!
    Egos wrote: »
    Could there be a talent like

Occult Appeal
    or
    Ghoulish Charm

+1 to being found appealing (in various ways ;-) ) by sentient Undead or Supernatural?

No.

On the other hand... Yeah, no.

How about something about philosophy or garbage or something?

Megazver on
    edited September 2009
    +1 to hiding
    +1 to heavy lifting
    +1 to using vehicles with automated equipment
    +1 to avoiding glass on the ground
    +1 to sustain a slimer attack

any of these work?

edit:
    or
    +1 dice to help a ghoul deal with their existential crisis

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    +1 to hiding
    +1 to heavy lifting

any of these work?

edit:
    or

How about Garbageman: +1 to dealing with anything garbagey, stinky and gross?

Megazver on
    edited September 2009
    +1 to hiding
    +1 to heavy lifting

any of these work?

edit:
    or

How about Garbageman: +1 to dealing with anything garbagey, stinky and gross?

I truly, truly wish I'd made such a character, just to get that Talent. I really do.

summeryclept on
    edited September 2009
    So am I in on this, or am I a reserve?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited September 2009
    Zerinan wrote: »
    So am I in on this, or am I a reserve?

Well, alright. Make a character before simonwolf does and you're in.

Megazver on
    edited September 2009
    *coughcough* I believe there is such a thing already in this thread.
    Zerinan wrote: »
    Jason Hart

Former Career: Detective

Academic: 1
    Athletics: 3
    Technology: 3
    Cool: Zero

Talent: Film Noir/Detective movie knowledge (or obsession)

Jason Hart is a tall and slightly muscular man in his thirties. He's had an obsession with detective shows and the like since he was a kid, and a few years back he invested most of his money to start his own detective agency. Of course, that failed spectacularly. Who knew you actually needed to have training in order to succeed at solving crimes? Just because he's no longer following his detective dreams, doesn't mean he can't look the part. He regularly wears a trench coat and hat (think Dick Tracy).

Sample Post:
    Jason anxiously looks at his watch, for the third time in just as many minutes.

"Damn it! I knew I should have gotten that alarm fixed. I would be at the clients house by now, starting my first official case, but no! Now I'm already twenty minutes late!" Just as he finishes yelling to himself, traffic started inching it's way forward.

"About time! I've been stuck here for nearly ten minutes!" He exclaims, while turning the ignition. All he gets in response is the sound of the engine struggling to start, and then sputtering off.

".... Fuck."

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited September 2009
    Oh right, I thought for a second you were PolloDiablo. In my defense, it's in the early AMs here. Yes, you're definitely in. High five, my internet buddy!

Megazver on
    edited September 2009
    Garbageman is ok...I hope it comes into use- besides handling a client's baby's diapers O_o

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    Oh don't worry. The mission will be about a haunted warehouse full of used adult diapers. Possessed used adult diapers.

Megazver on
    edited September 2009
    Oh don't worry. The mission will be about a haunted warehouse full of used adult diapers. Possessed used adult diapers.

Confessional:
    "Things were going smoothly, until Egos started screaming and tossing all those shitty diapers everywhere.

I mean, what the fuck?"

summeryclept on
    edited September 2009
    Oh right, I thought for a second you were PolloDiablo. In my defense, it's in the early AMs here. Yes, you're definitely in. High five, my internet buddy!

High five!

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited September 2009
    Alright, we’ve got five players now. Here’s who we have at the moment:

StygianSmileyFace: Chef Herve: Ac 3, Ath 3, Tech 1, Cont 2
    summeryclept: Dika: Ac 2, Ath 2, Tech 4, Cont 1
    Ringo: Vin Renato: Ac 1, Ath 2, Tech 2, Cont 4
    Egos: Archer Roland Pierce: Ac 3, Ath 4, Tech 1, Cont 1
    Zerinan: Jason Hart: Ac 1, Ath 3, Tech 3, Cont 2

Right. I think that’s everyone we're going to get. So it's time to create your Franchise! Let me explain the mechanical bits first. The Franchise is the official Big Letter term for your company. It has stats, just like you do! In fact, its statblock is pretty similar to yours. Take a look:
    Ghostbusters Inc – 9 Franchise dice
    Library Card 3	
    Gym Card 1 
    Credit Card 3
    Bank 2

As you can see, this example has a total of nine Franchise dice. You can use these dice to aid your rolls in your time of need. Dice on the Library card help Academics rolls, Gym card is for Athletics rolls and you use Credit for Technology rolls. You use up these dice once you’ve rolled them. The Bank dice are special: you can use them to augment any rolls, but you have to check their results on the Bank roll table to see if you gained, retained or lost any other Bank dice.

If you’ve read through the three page rule summary I linked in the OP, you’ll also know that the Franchise dice is what you get when you succeed on your rolls and that you have to get a certain number of Franchise dice to succeed on your mission. If you haven’t, well, now you know. I’m thinking of starting you with seven Franchise dice and a target number of fourteen dice to win. (Although I might fudge it a bit if you’re doing too well. Or not too well.) You’ll get to spread the dice yourself, once you decide what the basic concept of what your company is like. Read the list of characters again to see how everyone’s dice are spread.

I think a good way for you to begin would be to come up with a few basic concepts and work out among yourselves which one you prefer the most. Then, work out the rest of the details with the help of the questions below:

• How big is your franchise? How long have you been in operation?
    • Are you the Main Office? An established franchise? A start-up operation?
    • Where is your franchise located? How many people work there?
    • Who runs the show? A board of directors or the agents themselves?
    • Do investors privately fund it or did you all max out your credit cards?
    • What does your franchise look like? What amenities does it feature?
    • Are you the only InSpectres franchise in the area? Are there any competitors?
    • What kinds of gear do you have access to? What do you use for transportation?
    • Do you have a specialty (ghosts, vampires, demons, crypto-zoology)?

Oh, and here‘s another bit of rules. Whenever someone mentions something your company will own, like the office space, the staff or the crazy equipment, the person who mentions it has to make a Technology roll. Like the usual Skill roll, you get to describe what you have if you succeed and I‘ll describe what you have if you fail. (Yeah, it‘s in that pdf of the official site too. I‘ll explain the Skill Roll mechanics anyway in a paragraph or two, but you guys should really read that.) Some of you might get tempted to just leave the rolling to the characters with good Tech, but working out of a basement and driving a blinged-out golf cart is where the fun is at! So don‘t.

Finally, you could come up with some fun job positions for your characters. The rulebook suggests choosing someone to be the CEO, the CTO and the CFO. The CEO will make the important decisions (even if no one follows them). The Chief Technical Officer will keep track of all the gadgets you‘ll [strike]pull out of your ass[/strike] remember you had all along. The Chief Financial Officer will write down all the Franchise dice you get. I‘m not sure the last two positions will be necessary, since we‘re playing PbP, but hey, titles are nice. I bet you want one. Heck, feel free to create your own! I already know who the Chief Hygiene Technician will be.

To summarize, here‘s a convenient bullet list of what you need to do:

• Come up with a basic “one sentence” description of the team’s franchise
    • [strike]Determine the number of franchise dice you’ll start with (five to ten is good)[/strike] I AM DECIDING THIS FOR YOU MWAHAHA
    • Distribute those franchise dice among the three Cards (Library, Gym and Credit)
    • Place any leftover franchise dice in the Bank
    • Decide on the details and peculiarities of the franchise
    • Assign job titles to the players (or let them fight over titles, which is also fun)

PS The quick explanation of how the game actually works, hidden on the bottom of an almost unrelated post! To make a Skill roll, you take your skill dice, a talent die if it applies, any Franchise dice you wish to add, roll them and take the highest result. Compare it against the table below:

6 Amazing! Describe the result and gain 2 franchise dice.
    5 Good. Describe the result and gain a franchise die.
    4 Fair. Describe the mostly positive result of your action
    but you must also include a negative or humorous effect.
    3 Not Great. The GM decides your fate but you may be given
    a chance to suggest a single positive (albeit minor) effect.
    2 Bad. The GM decides your fate or you may suggest something suitably negative.
    1 Terrible! The GM gets to hose you with a truly dire situation
    resulting from your incompetence.

Yep, you actually get to call the shots, if you roll well. Don‘t hold back the tears of joy. They‘re good for you.

YOU WILL NEVER SEE THIS TABLE AGAIN.

I AM DELETING IT AS WE SPEAK.

Megazver on
    edited September 2009
    Okay, so - I'll throw random bits of inspiration out there, just like we might at the table, and if anybody likes anything, go for it. Feel free to do for yourselves! I'm just tossing this out there to get the ball rolling.

(Megazver, what makes the things we say official? Like, if I say we have a Ghost Bomb or some shit, I'd make the Tech roll for it - but that's only if it's accepted by the group as a whole, right? If nobody wants it and we all decide, No, not a good idea... can we do that and scrap the suggestion, or is it official anyway just because it was mentioned?)
    • Our InSpectres franchise is located in a strip mall close to downtown, next to an Arby's and a car wash. We don't get much business.
    • Our franchise is in an office building, sixth floor. We have to keep all the ghost stuff low-key, because our lease strictly forbids us from bringing ghosts back to the building.
    • Our franchise is part ghost-busting squad, part Chinese restaurant. We all have technical ghost catching offices and titles, as well as different positions within the kitchen.

summeryclept on
    edited September 2009
    I'll let you discuss it first, but the person who first suggested it will be the one who makes the roll.

Megazver on
    edited September 2009
    I say we call ourselves the "Horror Hunters"

and that we have a headquarters inside a renovated Haunted House. Ala Pirates of the Carribean or that ghost ride in Disney World (Haunted Mansion). So we can screw around with that little on track rally thing, for quick access and stuff...and also give people a tour if we want of various ghouls and stuff.

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking something like TAPS, the team from the show Ghost Hunters. Except, we really hunt and capture ghosts, and not just film them. Perhaps we're trying to get our own show, or have one on some crappy channel at like 2:15 am. Just tossing that out there.

As far as headquarters go, I like summeryclept's first suggestion, or Egos'.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited September 2009
    I say we call ourselves the "Horror Hunters"

and that we have a headquarters inside a renovated Haunted House. Ala Pirates of the Carribean or that ghost ride in Disney World (Haunted Mansion). So we can screw around with that little on track rally thing, for quick access and stuff...and also give people a tour if we want of various ghouls and stuff.

It totally has to be in a ride, that is awesome.

summeryclept on
    edited September 2009
    So, abandoned amusement park maybe? Like some little 1950/1960's holdover that shut down and never got demolished? Or maybe a grand mini golf place.

StygianSmileyFace on
    edited September 2009
    That sounds good to me.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
    edited September 2009
    I would think that a whole amusement park would cause problems in terms of land cost. Especially if we are a public business and not just squatting.

Unless we're really rolling in the $$$.

I would think saving a specific building or perhaps buildings while development occurred around us. Might be more $$$ realistic.

Like Coney Island , Epcot Center, or Navy Pier ; if we bought a section but the rest got torn down and urbanized a tad more/or else the not so ridesy areas got more prominent.

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    That's what I was thinking when I suggested like, tiny family owned amusement park.

Unless upstate NY is alone in just having tons of these things rotting away.

the slightly larger than normal mini golf course would work for that too.

StygianSmileyFace on
    edited September 2009
    So, I think the next question is - how did we end up with this sort of office, and how did we end up starting an InSpectres franchise? Vin's here because the supernatural element won't leave him alone (big daytime tv fans apparently) and it cost him his job/sanity. Looking at the backstories, it would make sense if Valentin has some kind of grudge going against the supernatural and somehow he and Vin bankrolled our franchise from the earnings of their previous careers and hired the only people who interviewed for the job (ie, the rest of you :) )

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG