As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

And I want my scalps! - Inglourious Basterds (now with SPOILERS)

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just a point, the only reason he left his seat was because he was emotionally disturbed by the actions that were being depicted. He is visibly troubled over watching the glorification of all the killing he did. Compare and contrast with any of the Americans in the movie.

In many ways the Nazi's were given more good guy actions than the Basterds were. The only reason we hate the Private is because his uniform is that of Germany and not America. He wears a rat's naked tail instead of the chipmunk's bushy one.

In response to what you wrote a second time (GOD DAM YOU FORUMS!)

Stoller is a wannabe rapist/woman beater who used his power to influence Shoshana for no other reason than to court her. He worked with Goebells to produce a propaganda film and still believed in the nazi cause, he was no "good" guy, if he was portraying an american his actions would be as reprehensible. It does matter which side you fight on.

The basterds never made any kind of justification for their actions. They were followers of Shermans War is Hell. Germany started it, and the basterds were showing them who the devil really was. That's why Aldo makes them wear their uniform forever, he feels they should be scarred for their participation on the "evil" side.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just a point, the only reason he left his seat was because he was emotionally disturbed by the actions that were being depicted. He is visibly troubled over watching the glorification of all the killing he did. Compare and contrast with any of the Americans in the movie.

In many ways the Nazi's were given more good guy actions than the Basterds were. The only reason we hate the Private is because his uniform is that of Germany and not America. He wears a rat's naked tail instead of the chipmunk's bushy one.
    Except the rats killed alot of other forest creatures, took their territory, and slaughtered innocent chipmunks by the millions.

There is a difference beyond the appearance.

Melkster on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

In response to what you wrote a second time (GOD DAM YOU FORUMS!)

Stoller is a wannabe rapist/woman beater who used his power to influence Shoshana for no other reason than to court her. He worked with Goebells to produce a propaganda film and still believed in the nazi cause, he was no "good" guy, if he was portraying an american his actions would be as reprehensible. It does matter which side you fight on.

The basterds never made any kind of justification for their actions. They were followers of Shermans War is Hell. Germany started it, and the basterds were showing them who the devil really was. That's why Aldo makes them wear their uniform forever, he feels they should be scarred for their participation on the "evil" side.
    Your characterization as a rapist is a bit forced, is something coloring your perceptions perhaps? It couldn't be the fact that he's a Nazi. Up until his very last scene none of his actions would be out of place in your average romance movie. Even the beginning of the last scene would work in a certain type.

The basterds are terrorists. They completely disregard all the rules of warfare and even basic humanity. None of them ever do a single benevolent action. They torture without hesitation a woman who is on their side.

The most evil depiction in the movie if that of the two basterds gunning down a roomful of helpless people with expressions of glee on their faces.

I think if you try and parse anything in this movie in a simplistic fashion you're doing it a great disservice and emphatically missing the whole point of the movie.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited August 2009
    I think we took two completely different things from the movie. C'est la vie. Arivadarche.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2009
    Melkster wrote: »

Except the rats killed alot of other forest creatures, took their territory, and slaughtered innocent chipmunks by the millions.
    Oh, that's all certainly true. Except the only rat in the movie who had personally done any of that to any of the chipmunks....well that wasn't the rat that the chipmunk made pay, now was it?

Fuck, their were fucking girl scouts in the movie theater. I guess since they were born German it's okay to brutally murder them and cheer about it.

Within the confines of the movie I'm not certain I agree. Historically, obviously so.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited August 2009
    I think we took two completely different things from the movie. C'est la vie. Arivadarche.

Well I think that divergence is entirely the point of the movie. It is shot in such a fashion to make you accept and agree with horrible things and hate and dehumanize people who are not simplistic caricatures of evil.

It's using many of the techniques of propaganda to make a point about propaganda.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited August 2009
    That's one interpretation sure. It's a subjective opinion. The basterds philosophy was an ends justify the means type belief. Who they are doing their means to definatey has an impact on whether you think they are justified more or less.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2009

Oh, that's all certainly true. Except the only rat in the movie who had personally done any of that to any of the chipmunks....well that wasn't the rat that the chipmunk made pay, now was it?

Fuck, their were fucking girl scouts in the movie theater. I guess since they were born German it's okay to brutally murder them and cheer about it.

Within the confines of the movie I'm not certain I agree. Historically, obviously so.
    Re: Girl Scouts: Collateral Damage. Sucks, but war is hell. They started it, anyway. At least we killed less girl scouts than they did.

Re: Zoller: And Zoller did personally contribute to the taking of the Forest Creature's lands, that's for sure. Without the collective effort of the German army, Landa wouldn't have been in France, and the girl wouldn't have killed Zoller and burned down the cinema.

Re: Confines of movie vs. historically: Well, the movie wanted to make you like both Landa and Private Zoller. And I did. I liked them way better than the other characters.

And that's part of what makes it awesome.

Melkster on
    edited August 2009
    Wait wait wait wait wait WAIT!

People like landa? Are you serious?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do we have to keep using spoilers? I mean, seems silly for a thread about the movie but, I guess:
    The only Nazis I think we are supposed to really feel sympathetic for by the end of the film is the solider with the iron cross who gets his head caved in with a bat solely because he wouldn't sell out his fellow soldiers (switch the situation with an american soldier being the one getting his face batted in by nazis and the american soldier would be a hero/patriot) and Willy (I think that was his name) who just had a child who is now going to grow up fatherless, who put his faith in the basterds and was betrayed by them, and over all was basically a big, cowardly goofball

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Do we have to keep using spoilers? I mean, seems silly for a thread about the movie but, I guess:
    The only Nazis I think we are supposed to really feel sympathetic for by the end of the film is the solider with the iron cross who gets his head caved in with a bat solely because he wouldn't sell out his fellow soldiers (switch the situation with an american soldier being the one getting his face batted in by nazis and the american soldier would be a hero/patriot) and Willy (I think that was his name) who just had a child who is now going to grow up fatherless, who put his faith in the basterds and was betrayed by them, and over all was basically a big, cowardly goofball

Hey now

Willy was betrayed by the traitor, not by the basterds. I think there was a cut scene that even has Aldo upset that she shot the guy (it was in the trailer).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Hey now

Willy was betrayed by the traitor, not by the basterds. I think there was a cut scene that even has Aldo upset that she shot the guy (it was in the trailer).
    Shit, you are right, foggy memory there. My mistake.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2009
    Also for those upset about Aldo and his handling of the actress at first.

Remember he just lost 3 of his own people to what looked like a freaking ambush and the only other person who knew what happened she shot upon him putting his gun down. It was entirely suspicious she could be a triple agent sent to kill the basterds as much as help them. Not to say I agree with torture, but I understand the predicament he was put in.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Grendel72 wrote: »
    Another level this movie works on that I find amazing is confronting the idea that America was fighting Nazis with a segregated army, and with Jim Crow laws at home. Again, racism has long been a theme in Tarantino's films- and another one his detractors seem not to get.
    Shosanna, the real hero of the film, has a black lover, Marcel. When the two conflicting plots climax, the Basterds fail. Marcel and Shosanna do not fail. On one level it's cinematic revenge succeeding where thuggish brutality fails, beyond that, though, Shosanna and Marcel have a moral high ground the Basterds don't for reasons beyond the brutality of the Basterds.
    The King Kong gag in the pub scene is more than just a joke, it's a reminder the moral high ground wasn't much higher for the Americans.
    And Raines' unexplained neck scar: given Raines insistence on carving swastikas into those Germans they let go as a mark of their crimes you do have to wonder what a Southern boy like Raines is doing with a rope scar around his neck.

I liked how he addressed racism in Pulp Fiction by giving himself a character who gets to say the n-word a lot.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2009

How could you not? He was charming, polite, intelligent, well-read, well-traveled, and had an attractive smile. He was a joy to listen to, and if he wasn't
    a murderer working for the Nazis
    I'm sure I'd be happy to invite him over to discuss politics over pasta and a bottle of wine.

Melkster on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Another level this movie works on that I find amazing is confronting the idea that America was fighting Nazis with a segregated army, and with Jim Crow laws at home. Again, racism has long been a theme in Tarantino's films- and another one his detractors seem not to get.
    Shosanna, the real hero of the film, has a black lover, Marcel. When the two conflicting plots climax, the Basterds fail. Marcel and Shosanna do not fail. On one level it's cinematic revenge succeeding where thuggish brutality fails, beyond that, though, Shosanna and Marcel have a moral high ground the Basterds don't for reasons beyond the brutality of the Basterds.
    The King Kong gag in the pub scene is more than just a joke, it's a reminder the moral high ground wasn't much higher for the Americans.
    And Raines' unexplained neck scar: given Raines insistence on carving swastikas into those Germans they let go as a mark of their crimes you do have to wonder what a Southern boy like Raines is doing with a rope scar around his neck.

I liked how he addressed racism in Pulp Fiction by giving himself a character who gets to say the n-word a lot.

If he addressed racism in any one of his movies, it was Jackie Brown.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited August 2009

How could you not? He was charming, polite, intelligent, well-read, well-traveled, and had an attractive smile. He was a joy to listen to, and if he wasn't
    I'm sure I'd be happy to invite him over to discuss politics over pasta and a bottle of wine.

Oh I dunno the fact

He was an opportunistic murdering sociopath. The only reason he changed sides was because he knew germany was done for, he had no love of country for either affair strictly murder. He was proud of his jew hunter nickname to the person he was intimidating, saddened at it to Aldo to gain sympathy.

Landa was expertly played, but not a good person in any way shape or form.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2009

If he addressed racism in any one of his movies, it was Jackie Brown.

And on that one's use of the word he said: "The word 'n****r' is probably the most volatile word in the English language. Should any word have that much power? I think it should be de-powered. But that's not my job. I don't have any political agenda in my work. I'm writing characters."

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yes, Landa was a very charming and charismatic man.
    Much like Hannibal Lector.
    Bet you thought I was going to say like Hitler
    Can you Godwin a discussion when it's already about Nazis?

Mars on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Oh I dunno the fact

He was an opportunistic murdering sociopath. The only reason he changed sides was because he knew germany was done for, he had no love of country for either affair strictly murder. He was proud of his jew hunter nickname to the person he was intimidating, saddened at it to Aldo to gain sympathy.

Wasn't he changing sides in 1941? At which point he really had no clue who would win, and it looked like Germany was doing a good deal better?

SniperGuy on
    edited August 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Oh I dunno the fact

Wasn't he changing sides in 1941? At which point he really had no clue who would win, and it looked like Germany was doing a good deal better?

He clearly thinks Germany is going to lose.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Oh I dunno the fact

Uhh.

No. It was early June, 1944. Remember how they rode off to Allied lines? That was the Normandy beach-head.

Melkster on
    edited August 2009

Oh I dunno the fact

Just for the record, I didn't say he was a good person. Just that I liked him, for the reasons given. That's just one thing I liked about this movie; I really enjoyed Landa. He's a great conversationalist and a brilliant presence on screen. I really liked him.
    But I had to hate him because, you know, he's a murderer, like you said.

Melkster on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah. I misread the times.

SniperGuy on
  • Grendel72Grendel72 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And on that one's use of the word he said: "The word 'n****r' is probably the most volatile word in the English language. Should any word have that much power? I think it should be de-powered. But that's not my job. I don't have any political agenda in my work. I'm writing characters."
    It's quite clearly used as a power ploy by certain characters, Vincent doesn't talk around Jules the way he talks around the scumbag drug dealer, The Tarantino character is put out and knows they need him. The scene with Dennis Hopper in True Romance is even more clear.

Grendel72 on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hans Landa I think was more enjoyable to watch than Heath Ledger's Joker. Every scene I saw him in I was simultaneously saying "oh shit" and "oh sweet".
    I just loved the part where he says "Now, do you mind if I smoke my pipe?"

I was expecting an action flick, but QT delivered something more. He really knows how to do dialogue in films.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Hans Landa I think was more enjoyable to watch than Heath Ledger's Joker. Every scene I saw him in I was simultaneously saying "oh shit" and "oh sweet".

I was expecting an action flick, but QT delivered something more. He really knows how to do dialogue in films.
    that damn pipe was hilarious. Where was he hiding that thing?

DanHibiki on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

that damn pipe was hilarious. Where was he hiding that thing?
    Oh god, I almost died laughing when he pulled that out.

His uniform had a lot of pockets.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Same here for the comment on Landa. Honestly I think he's one of my favorite, if not actually the favorite villain in a movie. I think he's just as good if not better than Ledger's joker, too. He had better get tons of awards for this thing.

And when I first heard of Inglourious I was expecting more of an action movie, and I kind of feared it'd be way too campy and I'd enjoy it but it wouldn't be more. Boy was I wrong. The movie's so much more than that, and I'm glad it wasn't just an action movie.

The friend I went with has come to the conclusion he didn't really like it that much. He got said while the ending was great and some other parts were awesome, he got bored a few times. Then again, this is the same guy that hates watching movies with subtitles. He watches movies with dubs. I told him to watch Let the Right One In a bit ago and then I found out he watched the freaking dub of it, for instance....

Edit re the pipe: EVERYONE in our theater burst into insane laughter when he pulled that out.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, when the film froze on Hugo Stiglitz with the big block lettering and this played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqRCX1uh3KU

was one of the most badass things I've ever seen on film.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The soundtrack to this movie is going to be awesome.

edit: In fact, I think it may already be out now, so I may be picking it up tomorrow.

edit edit: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2374829/ ok, that is the best last name ever.

DanHibiki on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I did find it funny that the two douchebags from the bar in deathproof were also two badass basterds

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, when the film froze on Hugo Stiglitz with the big block lettering and this played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqRCX1uh3KU

was one of the most badass things I've ever seen on film.

I loved that stinger. It was like the movie had to take a break when they said his name to go "FUCK YEAH, HUGO STIGLITZ!"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This was, I think, a very good movie. Definitely not what I expected.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Great movie.

I have a friend that was trying to argue with me about how, even though they were Nazis, having them killed without mercy was not moral (since not all Nazis had killed Jews etc).

I thought that was stupid.

An-D on
    edited August 2009
    An-D wrote: »
    Great movie.

I have a friend that was trying to argue with me about how, even though they were Nazis, having them killed without mercy was not moral (since not all Nazis had killed Jews etc).

The conflation of German soldiers and Nazis is problematic.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Great movie.

Yeah, it is. And I don't think your friend's argument is stupid.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    Great movie.

Yeah, it is. And I don't think your friend's argument is stupid.

His argument is valid, and is, in fact, I would say the overall "message" of the movie itself.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Can someone give me some information, I want to go see this but my friend isn't the quickest reader and to top it off subtitles generally distract you from whats going on so how bad/frequent is the film subtitled and does it detract?

DarkWarrior on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Around half the movie takes place in French or German, with four or five lines in Italian.

I don't think it detracts, but if you don't care for reading subtitles, you might get bored.

RMS Oceanic on