Options

[WoW] [Chat] War never changes. Warcraft has changed.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They should give Nef Ony's head.

815165 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ony should give he- no, no, I won't go there.

reVerse on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    So faction changing is now officially implemented and costs 30$
    So to change realms and change faction costs 55$
    I think I'll just level new toons instead

Well, in perspective, that might be 3-10 hours of work at a job in order to save potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay. It's a lot of cash, I agree, but it seems reasonable to me.

I can't see it like this, because if you did put in those hundreds of hours of gameplay, in the end you would have one geared 80 alliance and one geared 80 horde. You're just paying money to maintain the status quo. It's only a time saver if there are friends you really want to play with on the other faction.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

If you have full sets of gear, be it tier gear or arena gear, for a few different specs, heirloom gear you want to save, lots of money, difficult acheivements, a proto drake mount, basically have done any significant endgame, than i could see why paying $55 would be better than leveling 1-80 all over again.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well, in perspective, that might be 3-10 hours of work at a job in order to save potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay. It's a lot of cash, I agree, but it seems reasonable to me.

I can't see it like this, because if you did put in those hundreds of hours of gameplay, in the end you would have one geared 80 alliance and one geared 80 horde. You're just paying money to maintain the status quo. It's only a time saver if there are friends you really want to play with on the other faction.

Hey, I agree, it's not something I can see myself ever doing, but I don't think it's an unreasonable price point for what people are getting out of this.

Short of a sliding scale based on how badass your character was (titles, mounts, gear, etc), you get as much out of it as you've put into it.

Want to move a level 80 in greens? Probably better to just reroll.

Want to move a level 80 gladiator with a number of rare mounts and factions that took you weeks to grind out? Pretty damned good deal.

Just comes down to the grey area between these extremes where most people sit and ask themselves if it's worth it.

And to be fair, if they wanted to they could always faction swap back eventually, if it meant enough to them, and they were willing to pay the fee again.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Race changing is only coming with Cataclysm, right?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I'm sure it'll be worth it to some, I just don't think it's equivalent to time spent playing.

I wonder how many will switch out of reactionary "grass is greener" sentiment.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Race changing is only coming with Cataclysm, right?

No, it's coming when it's ready.

reVerse on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey look at that, $55, the price of a new game. :whistle:
    Hey, I agree, it's not something I can see myself ever doing, but I don't think it's an unreasonable price point for what people are getting out of this.

Short of a sliding scale based on how badass your character was (titles, mounts, gear, etc), you get as much out of it as you've put into it.

Want to move a level 80 in greens? Probably better to just reroll.

Want to move a level 80 gladiator with a number of rare mounts and factions that took you weeks to grind out? Pretty damned good deal.

Just comes down to the grey area between these extremes where most people sit and ask themselves if it's worth it.

And to be fair, if they wanted to they could always faction swap back eventually, if it meant enough to them, and they were willing to pay the fee again.

This is how I see it (bitterly, might I add). The service was supposedly designed due to player feedback stating they wanted to play with friends. The catch is, the server transfer is *practically* mandatory after doing this. How often would you be playing on the same server as the group you want to play with?

They should be encouraging the players to play, not punishing them with a ridiculous fee to circumvent their own technology limits.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If someone can't earn $55 in expendible cash in the 7 days /played it takes to get a new character to the level cap I totally understand them bitching about the faction change cost. That's $0.32 an hour, if you don't have that much expendible cash I'd totally just reroll instead.

815165 on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hot pockets and crack rocks are expensive. Priorities, man.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    Maybe DW has raised Nef's body in some horrible experiment and given him like a dog's head or something.

Well, I mean, they did say that we'd be seeing The Beast again.

Dourin on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    I could play Batman for $55. Just sayin'.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Oh my god Sept. 15th can't come soon enough. You guys have no idea how hard it was passing up the only copy Blockbuster had of this, and renting Wolfenstein instead, because I didn't want to ruin myself on the beginning of the game before buying it for PC.

Back on topic: I can see why some people think that the price for faction changes seems a little high, but I mean, really, the same could be argued for server changes. You could just level a character from 1-80 on a server your friends play on. Or you could pay the money and just transfer one you already have.

Dourin on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dourin wrote: »

Oh my god Sept. 15th can't come soon enough.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyway, WoW: Can someone who is going to PAX ask a blizzard person what their plans are for achievements like Loremaster in Cataclysm; and if they've made any further decisions on account-based achievements as opposed to character-based when Bnet 2.0 becomes integrated with everything. I.E. what will happen to faction specific achievements and will alts acquire titles/mounts/tabards/etc from them too. IIRC someone asked Metzen between panels at blizzcon and he said something to the effect that they were thinking about that.

I think they said something about making old achievements feats of strength. Don't think they talked a lot about account achievements, although it was going to be a separate point total or something.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I suspect they'll be like Gamer Points and be a running account total with subsections for each character. I could also see your highest achievement whore character being the one counted.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you know what seems more reasonalbe than 55 bucks for a one time transfer?

maybe making people pay it once, but be able to transfer X number of times with a wait period between them

55 for a one time thing is pretty insane unless you have no living expenses or are transfering your character of the last 3 years

ronzo on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    $55 doesn't seem like that much to me.

then again I paid $15 or whatever to reset how one of my guys looks.

if the D&D folks I'm playing with all lost interest, I'd definitely pay $55 to get my lvl 8- transferred to ravenholdt and switched to horde. and then another however much when the time comes to make him a tauren paladin. it would increase my enjoyment of the game a hell of a lot.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Man my friend told me Faction changes went live and I got really excited.

But $55 bucks? I'd rather get champions and swamp through a few weeks of character altering nerfs/buffs.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    It isn't a lot of money, but it is a lot for what it does.

If my friends went alliance, I'd pay for it just because of my character's progress. But I wouldn't feel any less ripped off.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wait? What is 55 bucks, I'm at work so I can't access too much. My friend says Faction change is 30...

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    Wait? What is 55 bucks, I'm at work so I can't access too much. My friend says Faction change is 30...
    Transfers aren't included.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It isn't a lot of money, but it is a lot for what it does.
    This. It's all about what value that it has to you as an individual, so if you only want to move one character over to play with your friends and $55 is a drop in the bucket for you, then super. If you want to move more characters over, well then, things get more financially interesting.

I can't fault them for doing it this way, they're in the business to make money and capitalist society is capitalist, but this doesn't strike me as anything approaching a "good value" or a benevolent move on their part. Personally I think they should have included a server transfer in it for free OR let you transfer multiple characters with one paid faction change. They'd have garnered much more interest (and thus, business) from the populace that way I think.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Jason036Jason036 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think $55 is too much money. I can understand making the price high so you don't have everyone doing it, but $55 is just too much.

I transferred 1 character from realm to realm a long time ago because that's where all my friends were playing and I didn't mind paying $15. I'm personally not willing to pay $55 to change realms and faction just to play with friends and its' not because I don't have the money to do it.

Supply and demand I guess.

Jason036 on
    Jason036
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Transfers aren't included.

Ahhh,

Makes sense. Thanks!

Aumni on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I could move my entire account over and faction swap to play with the Beasts, and it would only cost me...

... carry the two...

Over half a grand? D:

But I'm happy where I am, and just think that it'd be nice if some sort of bulk discount were available, like, I dunno, $250 to rename/faction swap/server transfer any character on ONE realm to another. That's under half price for up to 10 character, which would be a pretty damned fine deal.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, in light of the coming stats simplification I thought maybe WoW could go the Diablo loot mod system. Like instead of millions of varieties of juggled numbers you would get stuff that DOES things. Like a shield with [On use]"Creates 5 pumpkins you can eat to restore health" (1 hour cooldown). Or [On hit]"Chance to Metamorph player into a demon, increasing damage dealt and attack speed by 5%".

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    you know what seems more reasonalbe than 55 bucks for a one time transfer?

maybe making people pay it once, but be able to transfer X number of times with a wait period between them

55 for a one time thing is pretty insane unless you have no living expenses or are transfering your character of the last 3 years

I think the target market for this service IS people who are transferring their character of three years. It's obviously not for the guy who has one level 30 orc that he would rather be a night elf. $30 is not unreasonable at all for the faction change, but there should at least be a DISCOUNT for the server transfer too. Because even Blizzard has said that a big part of why people wanted this service was to play with friends. How many people have a bunch of friends on the same server but opposite faction?

Then again I've paid $10 for name changes several times, and I had an RAF account to level my priest quickly. I'm certainly not made of money but I figure one night of Chinese takeout is a small price to pay for something to make me happier in my main hobby.

riz on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, in light of the coming stats simplification I thought maybe WoW could go the Diablo loot mod system. Like instead of millions of varieties of juggled numbers you would get stuff that DOES things. Like a shield with [On use]"Creates 5 pumpkins you can eat to restore health" (1 hour cooldown). Or [On hit]"Chance to Metamorph player into a demon, increasing damage dealt and attack speed by 5%".
    Someone actually mentioned this at Blizzcon and thankfully the devs agreed. Items with just secondary Equip: stats are boring so they plan to have more items with actual Use: or Equip: procs and things in the future.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Awesome! Seems like everything with the expansion is right up my alley.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really really want to play (I have been offline for about two months because of moving and my computer dying on me)....

but

the problem is I really want to play a dwarf shaman.

I dont want to play anything else.

I have wanted to have a level capped shaman in tier gear since before TBC, but I was never in a raid guild. Finally join some friends who raid on alliance side and get excited about the shaman for alliance before I realized I hated draeni.

Want dwarf shaman so badlyyy (I mean I think I have made at least a dozen posts about it in chat threads if you guys remember)

i like worgen and all, but the best part of the expansion for me is dwarf shamans. and old world flying

I wish they would unlock them early....:(

but yea...i fear that when I log in after getting everything fixed this weekend i will be very very bored

maybe I can convince my raid to let me go shadow....

Arch on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

But $55 bucks? I'd rather get champions and swamp through a few weeks of character altering nerfs/buffs.

Honestly?

I've got a druid with 25 days /played. I could probably get another to a similar level in a lot less than that, but I'd probably still be talking 10 days played to get to 80 and regear, skill up trades, save up for epic flight, get all my mounts again, etc.

So I have a friend on alliance side. I like druid, and honestly don't have any other classes I care to level up, having tried out friend's characters, leveled a paladin and hunter up to mid 70s and gotten bored of them, etc. Basically, I have the choice of two things:

1. Spend 240 hours getting an alliance druid up to the level my horde druid is now.

2. Go to work and work overtime for the approximately 2 and a half hours it takes to make 55 dollars after taxes, spend that money on a faction swap.

So yeah.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Honestly?

I've got a druid with 25 days /played. I could probably get another to a similar level in a lot less than that, but I'd probably still be talking 10 days played to get to 80 and regear, skill up trades, save up for epic flight, get all my mounts again, etc.

So I have a friend on alliance side. I like druid, and honestly don't have any other classes I care to level up, having tried out friend's characters, leveled a paladin and hunter up to mid 70s and gotten bored of them, etc. Basically, I have the choice of two things:

1. Spend 240 hours getting an alliance druid up to the level my horde druid is now.

2. Go to work and work overtime for the approximately 2 and a half hours it takes to make 55 dollars after taxes, spend that money on a faction swap.

So yeah.

i hear ya...considering doing this as well, but with a warrior

Arch on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know what the best part of flying in the old world is?

Visiting all the Midsummer festival bonfires and Elders just got a whole lot easier.

As for all the paid services....it's really nice they're offering this stuff but the prices seem a little high to me. If it were half the price and/or there was a bulk rate for transferring multiple characters I'd probably be more interested. The faction change not getting a discount on a server transfer doesn't make much sense to me either.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Honestly?

So yeah.

I think it's more being burned out on WoW and having my NE rogue go undead and join my buddies on another server wouldn't net me too much more play time. It's awesome being able to faction switch, I was hoping for less on the server switch.

Aumni on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    You know what the best part of flying in the old world is?

Visiting all the Midsummer festival bonfires and Elders just got a whole lot easier.

YES

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, since they probably won't give us more character slots, I'm probably going to delete my draenei shaman to make a dwarf shaman, and delete my nelf hunter for a worgen hunter.

At least on the server I play my horde characters I still have slots available for goblins and Tauren Paladins.

Lars on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lars wrote: »
    Yeah, since they probably won't give us more character slots, I'm probably going to delete my draenei shaman to make a dwarf shaman, and delete my nelf hunter for a worgen hunter.

At least on the server I play my horde characters I still have slots available for goblins and Tauren Paladins.

I was thinking of transferring my alliance characters off a pvp server to a pve one but I've been hesitant because of the cost. With all new class/race combos for the expansion plus the new leveling experience I'll probably just leave them all there and start over.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    maybe I'm overestimating how much I'd be willing to play, but if it meant having a character I essentially had no use for to having one that could do things with a secure group of people I knew, or at least had connection to, that's worth $55 to me because it greatly expands what I'm able to do in game. I suppose this, specifically, doesn't apply to a lot of people as they ideally would have thought of that beforehand if that's where they wanted to take the game. or maybe it does.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.