As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Game catch-up!

1235»

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    It's the "spiritual successor", with a much shittier twist and better graphics. Also, the atmosphere in SS2 was better, fuckawful models and all.

Also it had some pumping techno beats. How it manages to be scary at the same time I will never know.

I had three heart attacks simultaneously when I met my first psychic monkey. I was half dead. Suddenly, I heard playful monkey noises and I saw a tiny chimp wandering around the opposite end of the hallway. Awww. Cute little fella.

Then it saw me.

Then I burst into flames.

emnmnme on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    It's the "spiritual successor", with a much shittier twist and better graphics. Also, the atmosphere in SS2 was better, fuckawful models and all.

From what I've seen of Bioshock, it's about as similar to SS2 as SS2 was to SS.

Orogogus on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    You know what's sad? That game has (at least) three sequels.

Meanwhile, games like Freespace and System Shock got only one.
    Is it edgy to pretend Bioshock is not a SS sequel or something?

Bioshock is as much a sequel to SS as Fallout 3 is a sequel to [strike]Oblivion[/strike] Fallout

Or like Phantom Hourglass is to A Link to the Past.

Or like Temple of the Ocean King is to fun.

Or Civilization III to Alpha Centauri.

Synthesis on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bioshock is NOT SS2's sequel, no matter how hard you try. It's a good game that was definitely influenced by SS2, but not a sequel in any sense of the word. That would be like saying that Duke Nukem 3D was a Wolfenstein 3D sequel because the latter influenced the first and they share a part of the title.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't play Crysis because of "hey-kids-look-who's-here-it's-nvlddmkm!!". It feels good to not be alone in this, but it's almost infinitely aggravating.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

I hope I'm not the only one who found this fucking hysterical.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bioshock is NOT SS2's sequel, no matter how hard you try. It's a good game that was definitely influenced by SS2, but not a sequel in any sense of the word. That would be like saying that Duke Nukem 3D was a Wolfenstein 3D sequel because the latter influenced the first and they share a part of the title.

It's a spiritual sequel. Didn't somebody already say that? It's pretty clear it doesn't relate in any way plot-wise.
    Wiki wrote:
    The game incorporates elements found in role-playing and survival horror games, and is described by the developers and Levine as a "spiritual successor" to their previous titles in the System Shock series.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's a spiritual sequel. Didn't somebody already say that? It's pretty clear it doesn't relate in any way plot-wise.
    Wiki wrote:
    The game incorporates elements found in role-playing and survival horror games, and is described by the developers and Levine as a "spiritual successor" to their previous titles in the System Shock series.

SS2: A cyborg awakens to find a spaceship ravaged by an evil force. He is lead around over a voice comm by someone who turns out to be the real bad guy.

Bioshock: A guy awakens to find an underwater world ravaged by an evil force. He is lead around over voice comm by someone who turns out to be the real bad guy.

BlindPsychic on
    edited August 2009
    Why call it a spiritual successor when everything but the spirit was passed on from SS2 to Bio?

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Why call it a spiritual successor when everything but the spirit was passed on from SS2 to Bio?

Spiritwise, it seems a lot closer to System Shock 1 than System Shock 2 was, but I'm basing this mostly on people's complaints. A lack of RPG elements, no inventory Tetris and less oooOOOoooOOO scary would seem to hearken back to the original.

Orogogus on
    edited August 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Kastanj wrote: »

Spiritwise, it seems a lot closer to System Shock 1 than System Shock 2 was, but I'm basing this mostly on people's complaints. A lack of RPG elements, no inventory whatsoever and a minimum dose of Hollywood-level "frights" would seem to hearken back to the original.

Got you covered, guv.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009

Wiki wrote:

Successor != Sequel.

And people who actually played both games know that there are plenty of big differences in the plot, the atmosphere, the gameplay...

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2009

Wiki wrote:

SS2: A cyborg awakens to find a spaceship ravaged by an evil force. He is lead around over a voice comm by someone who turns out to be the real bad guy.

Bioshock: A guy awakens to find an underwater world ravaged by an evil force. He is lead around over voice comm by someone who turns out to be the real bad guy.

And those are basically ALL the similarities... The kind of villain, the relation between the two antagonists, the gameplay, the resolution, all different.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Still more similarities than those between FO3 and the other FO games (even tactics). I mean, at least it's in the same sub-genre

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Wiki wrote:

And those are basically ALL the similarities... The kind of villain, the relation between the two antagonists, the gameplay, the resolution, all different.
    What, the gameplay is identical to SS2 with some of the more complicated stuff cut out. You still have your magic powers by a different name, a wrench, upgradable standard guns etc. Hacking becomes a simpler minigame not relying on an RPG skill. The revive chambers, the audio clips (and the way they're presented) and you're still eating chips and soda instead of space chips and future soda.Your enemies are melee using zombies beating kill me kill me in morse code. SS2 had Xerses and Shodan, Bioshock had Andrew Ryan and Fontaine.

Don't get me wrong, I like both games but really, they aren't THAT different.

BlindPsychic on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So since I have been living in a cave with regards to PC games. Never played any xbox titles.

read this entire thread. So it seems like a bunch of awesome stuff just came out and wanted to see if there are more titles to consider.

Me: likes RPGs but tend to get game add towards the end rather than actually finishing.. surprisingly the wii has gotten me into shooters.
    like strategy games as well.

bonus if it is easy to pick up play a little and then quit.

just built my machine with an i5 750 quad core, 8GB of Ram,

and an 5770 card so should be able to run almost anything.

bonus for cheap

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Wiki wrote:

I am an idiot.

Awesome untagged spoilers in a thread entitled "PC CATCH-UP."

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mts wrote: »
    So since I have been living in a cave with regards to PC games. Never played any xbox titles.

read this entire thread. So it seems like a bunch of awesome stuff just came out and wanted to see if there are more titles to consider.

Me: likes RPGs but tend to get game add towards the end rather than actually finishing.. surprisingly the wii has gotten me into shooters.

bonus for cheap

You like RPGs that are easy to pick up and play a little and then quit? Really?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

bonus for cheap

Borderlands, Torchlight
    Both are fun, instant-gratification that can be played (satisfyingly) for 15 minutes at a time, or a marathon 4-hour grind.

zhen_rogue on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You like RPGs that are easy to pick up and play a little and then quit? Really?

Baldur's Gate 2 is all you need - try to quit after playing a couple of hours, try it!

Well, but yeah, Borderlands and Torchlight kinda fit the description, I mean if you really want to call this type of gameplay a RPG.

Other RPG recommendations: Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Neverwinter Night 2+ Mask of the Betrayer + Storm of Zehir, Risen

(underlined games don't get nearly enough love)

Old school RPGs: Baldur's Gate 1&2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, Gothic series, Morrowind + addons

RTS: Dawn of War 2, C&C Red Alert 3 (both great coop games), Company of Heroes

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the bonus of it being easy to pick up and play for a little bit is that i don't have much free time so if i can easily hop on and play for 30 minutes or so or if there are ways to save my progress often rather than you need to finish this 4hr labyrinth before you can save again.

not just interested in RPGs.

Borderlands looks good too. I might download the first mass effect. the videos i have seen go against any preconceived notion i had of what the game was like

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the bonus of it being easy to pick up and play for a little bit is that i don't have much free time so if i can easily hop on and play for 30 minutes or so or if there are ways to save my progress often rather than you need to finish this 4hr labyrinth before you can save again.

not just interested in RPGs.

Borderlands looks good too. I might download the first mass effect. the videos i have seen go against any preconceived notion i had of what the game was like

I'm in the same boat, being i have 15-30 minutes now and then to play during the day. Sporadic.
    Torchlight and Borderlands are fantastic, because I can run a full floor of TL or a quest/run in BL in 15-25 minutes, and then save/quit at a good stopping point.
    Hellgate: London is also a good choice, if you decide you like BL. In the same vein as a 'fps with rpg elements', and you can dive in and dive out at will, and really accomplish something.

zhen_rogue on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll agree with Fallout 3. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but it really is a nice game you can either play casually for an hour or 3-4 hours. Plus, getting dogmeat!

DOGMEAT!

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png