As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Piece thread : Luffy vs Goku Chess match of the century!

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think he means the filler's good enough that he'll almost be disappointed that it'll be Impel Down instead.

Smasher on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just watched 421:
    Good stuff here too, I like the way they built the filler content for zoro, and the dramatic arrival of brooke. I was a bit sad at the lack of hancock's bishy-luffy fantasizing, but there was still some to be had I guess. Finally you anime viewers get some foreshadowing of the impending epicness of this arc. SHIT IS GOING TO GET BANANERS.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Camui wrote: »
    Off/On topic. He is fun to play with.
    screenshot2009101021430.jpg
    screenshot2009101021431.jpg
    screenshot2009101021432.jpg

Hahah, what the hell?

Godfather on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Champions Online.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A fine character creation my friend.

Has anyone recognized who your character is on that game?

Godfather on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Afew people, my friend told me he saw a very good TonyTony chopper, gorilla version though

Camui on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dang, the music that played during the part where Perona investigates the Zoro scene was pretty good.

It must be part of the new OST.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, THE CAPTAIN OF THE NAVAHOE BASE FILLER ARC IS IN THIS EPISODE.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Filler Hancock is the best. The best. This is simply putting more weight behind eventual crewmanship.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I want to see more of the bitch version of Hancock.

This whole Japanese wife thing works great in the manga, but in the filler it's kinda grating on my nerves.

If she does join the crew, I hope she keeps it in small, concentrated outburst doses, with a lot of bitch material in between.

If the rest of the Straw Hat crew isn't completely terrified of her by the end of the day I won't be satisfied.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Apparently after the first four episodes of Impel Down, there's going to be 4 special episodes leading up to the release of Movie 10 in Japanese theaters.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    Apparently after the first four episodes of Impel Down, there's going to be 4 special episodes leading up to the release of Movie 10 in Japanese theaters.

Wait is this movie a retelling like the last one or a new story? If it's the former that filler is gonna be weird as fuck.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Wait is this movie a retelling like the last one or a new story? If it's the former that filler is gonna be weird as fuck.

It's all new.

Looks pretty awesome too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q12wVrM6FLU

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Written by Oda, to boot.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Actually the entire movie is taking a single line in the manga and expanding it into a full-fledged feature.

Sengoku said that the only person able to escape Impel Down was the Flying Pirate, and the big bad in this movie is the one and the very same.

It's pretty rad.

EDIT: That animation is fucking gorgeous.

They're taking the animation ideals present in movie 6/9 without sacrificing the quality of the art.

That is an extremely expensive move on their part. They're betting big with this one, that's for sure.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well then I will await it thusly.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So we have just finished Skypia.

Enel:
    I had actually thought to myself
    "You know luffy would totally kick his ass because he's made of rubber which doesn't conduct electricity" and when I thought of it I was telling my gf as we watched
    "Oh man I hope Oda thought of that. I really hope he did because that would be so bad ass oh man don't dissappoint me."

I was so goddam happy!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't been tempted to watch any of the one piece movies, but I'll probably watch this one. This flying pirate dude sounds dope.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Actually the entire movie is taking a single line in the manga and expanding it into a full-fledged feature.

Sengoku said that the only person able to escape Impel Down was the Flying Pirate, and the big bad in this movie is the one and the very same.

It's pretty rad.

EDIT: That animation is fucking gorgeous.

They're taking the animation ideals present in movie 6/9 without sacrificing the quality of the art.

That is an extremely expensive move on their part. They're betting big with this one, that's for sure.

I don't think there's a huge risk of one piece not making money...

NotYou on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i was reading back through this thread a bit to see if theres any spoilers on things ive watched i can read about and man you guys bitch about people using japanese words so often its really silly

english steals words. it's the reason it's such an alive language. live with it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    you are so not my nakama anymore

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i was reading back through this thread a bit to see if theres any spoilers on things ive watched i can read about and man you guys bitch about people using japanese words so often its really silly

english steals words. it's the reason it's such an alive language. live with it.

When the new word provides a new meaning it is useful. When the new word is a new way to say the exact same thing, it's less useful.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

If a word means idiot just say idiot.

If a word can be interpreted as crew or friend then use crew where appropriate and friend where appropriate.

It comes off as pretentious when a guy translates some of a work but not the entire thing because " The original Japanese is cooler".

King Riptor on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Generally I think "baka" should just be translated as "stupid," because it's a much more flexible term than "idiot*" and fits more with how baka is used.

*Idiot also has a very specific historical meaning, "A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive."

http://www.answers.com/idiot

And I've never had the impression that baka was that specific.

--

On the other hand, you have things like "kitsune" which is just "fox" but which also may imply fox spirit, and while the two ideas were identical in the past, they are slightly different now, as most people have separated the idea of an animal fox and a spirit fox.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yes, english steals words. Which is why nakama, baka, and shichibukai now mean 'neckbeard' or 'weeaboo' in english.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I gotta say, one of the things I'm most looking forward to in the movie: the return of Carue! He's like the Rudy of giant racing ducks, all heart.

Also that sky pirate guy appears to have TWO peg legs in the trailer.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you are so not my nakama anymore

1242148720809.jpg

Slicer on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can not get up the effort to care either way.

So some neckbeards who are translating find certain words special, what does it matter as long as it's readable? Watching this show forced me to learn some japanese(or french and spanish in case of sanji & robin) words, DAMN THOSE SNEAKY WEEABOO BASTARDS.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yes, english steals words. Which is why nakama, baka, and shichibukai now mean 'neckbeard' or 'weeaboo' in english.

this is an american form of ridiculousness ive never really understood.

oh wait living in denial right i get it. as long as you don't use the words you aren't watching anime, or something.

it's silly and dishonest, use whatever you want to use, let other people use whatever they want, leave each other alone for chrissakes and watch the rubber pirates punch each other.

is this so fucking hard?

anyway, i still think it's incredibly silly but i dont want to hear the justifications for it, because there's always justifications for people hating some random bullshit about someone else for no good reason.
    i just think there should be a lot more talking about rubber pirates punching gods because frankly that is my cup of tea.

has anyone got like a still image of enel's face? that was fantastic and made me laugh so much.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

this is an american form of ridiculousness ive never really understood.

oh wait living in denial right i get it. as long as oyu don't use the words you aren't watching anime, or something.

it's silly, use whatever you want to use, let other people use whatever they want, leave each other alone for chrissakes and watch the rubber pirates punch each other.

shutup.png

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ive had my say and im not interested anymore. i was being hyperbolic to make a point btw, i don't actually tar all americans with the same brush or think its something special to them, we all do it. if you note though, it's the same kind of thinking he was espousing and i was trying to parody that. i guess i just came off like a dick, sorry. pretend i have a big fat cheesy grin on my face and im poking your thought processes in a friendly way, because that's what im thinking. :D

god i cant wait until the next arc this show gets better n better
    i hope sanji gets more powerful he's lagging behind at this point where i am

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I understand Shichibukai because it's hard to find an accurate translation that sounds better, but baka and nakama shouldn't be left untranslated.

I once read from Kaizoku-Fansubs that they used the term nakama because it was a very important word in the world of One Piece, and that it couldn't be translated into a single word because it means "friend, companion, family, etc". That's kind of stretching the use of the word too much, as "friend" or companion summarize it just fine.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    I understand Shichibukai because it's hard to find an accurate translation that sounds better, but baka and nakama shouldn't be left untranslated.

I once read from Kaizoku-Fansubs that they used the term nakama because it was a very important word in the world of One Piece, and that it couldn't be translated into a single word because it means "friend, companion, family, etc". That's kind of stretching the use of the word too much, as "friend" or companion summarize it just fine.

Keep in mind that the very same fansub group's policy of "we leave all important words untranslated" also applies to "baka", if you're using their argument, as K-F has definitely left that in.

Alternatively: Both Viz and Funimation don't use it in their manga/anime translations respectively, and I'm a hell of a lot more inclined to trust multiple professional translators than some fansubber.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You kids and your special words.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Keep in mind that the very same fansub group's policy of "we leave all important words untranslated" also applies to "baka", if you're using their argument, as K-F has definitely left that in.

Alternatively: Both Viz and Funimation don't use it in their manga/anime translations respectively, and I'm a hell of a lot more inclined to trust multiple professional translators than some fansubber.

That's kinda lame. Baka should be translated. It's not like the meaning is broader than "stupid" or "idiot". This is why some of us get labeled as "weeaboo" by people.

(by the way, I've heard it pronounced "we-boo" on Youtube, but in PBF they spelled each syllable separately, which makes me think it's pronounced "we-ah-noo" instead. Which is correct?)

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

They should use the term Privateer for Shichibukai, since that's what they are - government-sponsored pirates.

Official translation just uses Warlord, which is a direct translation of what Shichibukai is.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Check here.

I'll say what I said last time this came up. English has by far, more words in it than any other language. If you can't find a word to translate to, BUY A THESAURUS.

edit:: DAMN YOU JRAGGHEN

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

They should use the term Privateer for Shichibukai, since that's what they are - government-sponsored pirates.

Official translation just uses Warlord, which is a direct translation of what Shichibukai is.

Man, everything K-F said about the issue is bullshit!

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Countdown to someone posting the video: 3...2....1 :P

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll say what I said last time this came up. English has by far, more words in it than any other language.

Well, Spanish is more complicated because it has more synonyms and some of them vary in meaning depending on the country. One teacher of mine once said that Spanish is more complicated to learn than Chinese itself because they don't have as many words for one single object. BUT THAT WAS JUST BULLSHIT AND IGNORANT FROM HIM BECAUSE HE OBVIOUSLY KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THE TOPIC. I will concede that it is probably harder to learn than English, though.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Countdown to someone posting the video: 3...2....1 :P

Let's not and say we did! Even if it would be partially on-topic what with its K-F bashing and such!

(He definitely has some good points but his opinion that fansubbing was better back in the day when fansubbers had to use special expensive equipment and release on a VHS is rather insane)

Slicer on
This discussion has been closed.