As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Piece thread : Luffy vs Goku Chess match of the century!

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to see what the video says because I don't know what you're talking about.

RockinX on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, is this really what the final pages of what the One Piece thread are gonna be about? Bullshit translation words that no sane person gives a rat's ass for?

This is as bad as the Haki arguments on the Something Awful forums.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's all talk about how awesome the next few anime episodes will be. Because we're now in Impel Down, and it will be so awesome.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah i really did not want to spark an argument about the technicalities of the translations, it just annoyed me that people on both sides bitch at each other. im sorry i brought it up at all, i should have known it would provoke a passionate debate since you know it's about nothing in particular.
    can we just sort of erase my comments from history and ignore the whole thing?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    I'd like to see what the video says because I don't know what you're talking about.

Well, I said I'd rather not, but since you're genuinely curious, here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7E554C9B3A0AA63A

Slicer on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys just watch One Piece in the original japanese. Subtitles are for casual fans.

Greeper on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Greeper to all: You Are Not Hardcore Enough!!!!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyway in important news I started a new fallout 3 character with bright blue hair and sideburns named Franky Supa.

He uses a power fist, heavy weapons and has a super high repair skill.

He does the right thing most of the time but he isn't afraid of stealing whatever he wants.

He never keeps caps overnight and he's obsessed with Nuka-Cola.

Greeper on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh that reminds me though I really don't follow the anime I watched the first two Crew filler.

Some impressions-
    Nami/Franky
    Nami got a power up. Nifty. Shower scene ? SUPER!
    Franky's was hilarious especially his pervert dance. I'm hoping they upgraded him but I'm sure it'll be addressed. Darjeeling Tea Franky is a class act.

Sanji/Chopper
    POOR SANJI. Even though you knew if you read the manga they way they handled this segment was gold. Choppers was meh. Oda is going to have to explain his ass off for this one.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Chopper
    Is going to have to confront his animal self, his place in the food chain, etc. Maybe even gain some measure of control over his omega form.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's argue simultaneously about Haki's effects on the known bad guys and good guys, AND the fact that we refer to it as "haki" instead of the available english translations. That way this thread can end faster and we can get a new OP OP (heh).

I've always thought that the shichibukai was the NAME for them, and wasn't meant to be translated. A suitable english translation would be something like "The Selected Seven" or "The Seven Menaces". Sort of like how Nami means wave, but the english translation still has her named as Nami.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Let's all talk about how awesome the next few anime episodes will be. Because we're now in Impel Down, and it will be so awesome.

Or how awesome these art books I picked up in Tokyo are. :mrgreen:

And to be fair, sometimes there are words in English that are a translation, but the meaning is somewhat different.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Names are kind of an exception, since most people in English speaking countries have no idea what the average person's name means.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Names are kind of an exception, since most people in English speaking countries have no idea what the average person's name means.

Though there are the rare cases when a character's name is a rather obvious joke and should probably be translated.

Frog in Chrono Trigger being the easy example.

Slicer on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Let's argue simultaneously about Haki's effects on the known bad guys and good guys, AND the fact that we refer to it as "haki" instead of the available english translations. That way this thread can end faster and we can get a new OP OP (heh).

I've always thought that the shichibukai was the NAME for them, and wasn't meant to be translated. A suitable english translation would be something like "The Selected Seven" or "The Seven Menaces". Sort of like how Nami means wave, but the english translation still has her named as Nami.

Isn't that mainly because most English names have lost any meaning they might have once had so theme naming outside of a few names like Smith will just sound weird? People don't think of Jonas as meaning "Dove; peaceful being, destroyer, he who oppresses' accomplishing, and a gift from God." (Don't ask me how it means both "peaceful being" and "destroyer.") I'm not sure if Japanese is different in that respect though.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "We-ah-boo" sounds funnier so I prefer that pronunciation.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Kasanagi wrote: »

Isn't that mainly because most English names have lost any meaning they might have once had so theme naming outside of a few names like Smith will just sound weird? People don't think of Jonas as meaning "Dove; peaceful being, destroyer, he who oppresses' accomplishing, and a gift from God." (Don't ask me how it means both "peaceful being" and "destroyer.") I'm not sure if Japanese is different in that respect though.

Due to how Kanji works a proper name is also usually phrase with multiple possible variations.

Obviously One Piece uses English names so it's a moot point in that regard.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Though there are the rare cases when a character's name is a rather obvious joke and should probably be translated.

Frog in Chrono Trigger being the easy example.

True, but it gets complicated. Also harder for some people to take a character seriously. It's really unfortunate that we don't know the meaning behind names in Western culture. Countries which name in their native tongue get to have so many awesome plays on words.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tons and tons of names in English mean something, it's just that these days a ton of our common names are either corrupted forms from other languages or are not English at all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tons and tons of names in English mean something, it's just that these days a ton of our common names are either corrupted forms from other languages or are not English at all.

God bless English, it's like the dark side of the force's retarded linguistic brother.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited October 2009

That would be the point.

Religious names are absurdly common, especially, and so aren't even from Germanic languages.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As soon as this thread is over I am going to make a OP covering things we are not to discuss.

1) Haki

2) Translating special words

3) Bitching about certain crewmate possibilities

Every one of these arguments get old fast.

Godfather on
  • Options
    goatboygoatboy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, Chopper's filler was totally heartbreaking when you realize
    he's the only one who has no idea what happened. He went to monster point before Kuma ever showed up. Last thing he saw was the crew getting destroyed, and then he woke up on some random island all alone.

For all he knows could've gone on a rampage and killed everyone. D:

goatboy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So Luffy is circumcised? If it wasn't, it wouldn't look that much like a mushroom.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    As soon as this thread is over I am going to make a OP covering things we are not to discuss.

1) Haki

Xenogears called Dibs.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Luffy is circumcised? If it wasn't, it wouldn't look that much like a mushroom.

Goddamit, Couscous.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009

Goddamit, Couscous.

Seriously, how could you have ignored the possibility of retraction from morning wood?

A duck! on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Goddamit, Couscous.

I don't even know what to say...

but I guess it's true?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A duck! wrote: »

Goddamit, Couscous.

Seriously, how could you have ignored the possibility of retraction from morning wood?
    Would a rubber body be capable of morning wood? I'm not sure how the physics would work with a rubber penis.

Couscous on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »

Well, I said I'd rather not, but since you're genuinely curious, here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7E554C9B3A0AA63A

So for part 1 of these documentaries, I watched none of them, what anime is that, that is being displayed as the cover? It looks kind of neat looking and something I may want to watch.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A duck! wrote: »

Goddamit, Couscous.

Would a rubber body be capable of morning wood? I'm not sure how the physics would work with a rubber penis.

Well, we've seen gear third already, so

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

1) Haki

Xenogears called Dibs.

As long as he throws those into the OP i'm good.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If by that warning you mean a tribute to the pirate rap, then yes.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This is why we never get anymore new readers XoB

Godfather on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If by that warning you mean a tribute to the pirate rap, then yes.

I am throwing my support behind the XoB for OP campaign.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You're all goofs

Godfather on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    4Kids pretty much ruined any chance of One Piece being really popular in America.

My roommates were talking about how cool it would be to live in the Naruto universe, and I said I would rather live in One Piece land. One of them was like "that show sucks, man", having only seen the terrible dub on CN. Maybe I'll remedy that one day...

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How old are your friends?

Narutoland is boring as fuck.

Godfather on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    4Kids pretty much ruined any chance of One Piece being really popular in America.

My roommates were talking about how cool it would be to live in the Naruto universe, and I said I would rather live in One Piece land. One of them was like "that show sucks, man", having only seen the terrible dub on CN. Maybe I'll remedy that one day...

It's an upward battle, but I've gotten two of my friends to start reading the manga. One's gotten kinda-sorta stuck in Skypeia, but with the absolute retardedness of last week's manga chapter for Naruto, he said he's going to take my word for it that it gets much better and push through Skypeia.

The other one is doing it as a deal where if he reads it and catches up, I'll give Negima a shot.

The things I do for you people :(

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    How old are your friends?

Narutoland is boring as fuck.

and it sucks

if you're not a ninja your life is shit, you're either cannon fodder or some slaving peasant

not to mention the inconsistent technology

Rust on
This discussion has been closed.