As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 boomerang controller?

• Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Maybe games companies should look more into developing customisable controllers as everyone seems to have a different idea of what they want.

This would be nice. At least let us switch the D-pad and the left analog stick now. I really hate playing any 360 game, especially a shooter, because I can't get used to the wacky placement. To me it feels completely wrong.

Every game should have customizable controls, there's really no excuse for it. Surely if you can program in 'Type A' and 'Tybe B' control schemes, then you can just let the player decide what they want every button to do?

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »

Maybe games companies should look more into developing customisable controllers as everyone seems to have a different idea of what they want.

This would be nice. At least let us switch the D-pad and the left analog stick now. I really hate playing any 360 game, especially a shooter, because I can't get used to the wacky placement. To me it feels completely wrong.

Every game should have customizable controls, there's really no excuse for it. Surely if you can program in 'Type A' and 'Tybe B' control schemes, then you can just let the player decide what they want every button to do?

I think you misunderstood. He wants to physically swap the positions of the left analog and the d-pad.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

They're talking about Custom Controllers, not custom controls.

Like imagine if you could easily take out the face buttons and put them in place of the right analog stick or something.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    It is pure fact that the PlayStation controllers have always been poorly designed. Yes, people like them - because they got used to them at some point in the fifteen fucking years that Sony has been unable to come up with something that had proper ergonomics. Ripoff of SNES design, with extra shoulder buttons slapped on haphazardly. Then two sticks thrown in wherever they could find room. And rumble thrown in to the empty handles. Bam, call it a day. Later on, sure, make those extra shoulders triggers with a bump instead of a curve, that makes a lot of sense.

The dualshock is shit. It's small. The triggers suck. The sticks are not only too loose and inaccurate, but they have poor placement. The dpad being separated hurts your thumb with extended use, and overall, it's just ugly.

This is fact. There are very specific things you can point to and say - that's bad design, and has poor usability. I should know, my career is in design. I had to do a paper on human factors and all the versions of the playstation controllers were my focus. They are bad. I do not expect everyone to agree with me, but know that if you think it's the best controller, ergonomically, you are wrong. There is nothing you can say to change this fact.
    So.

You're kind of an asshole.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DB retardation makes double post. :(

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It is pure fact that the PlayStation controllers have always been poorly designed. Yes, people like them - because they got used to them at some point in the fifteen fucking years that Sony has been unable to come up with something that had proper ergonomics. Ripoff of SNES design, with extra shoulder buttons slapped on haphazardly. Then two sticks thrown in wherever they could find room. And rumble thrown in to the empty handles. Bam, call it a day. Later on, sure, make those extra shoulders triggers with a bump instead of a curve, that makes a lot of sense.

The dualshock is shit. It's small. The triggers suck. The sticks are not only too loose and inaccurate, but they have poor placement. The dpad being separated hurts your thumb with extended use, and overall, it's just ugly.

This is fact. There are very specific things you can point to and say - that's bad design, and has poor usability. I should know, my career is in design. I had to do a paper on human factors and all the versions of the playstation controllers were my focus. They are bad. I do not expect everyone to agree with me, but know that if you think it's the best controller, ergonomically, you are wrong. There is nothing you can say to change this fact.
    So.

But he is right. The DS line of controllers is horrible.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

So.

You are a great person. I applaud your post.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't suppose we could see this paper, could we? It would be interesting reading.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

*applause*

That said, I do disagree on one point. The sticks are too inaccurate, but loose?

They're *nothing* compared to the X360 and original N64 controllers, by far the worst two when it comes to having too much play in the stick. The N64, because after only a month of Mario Party or Smash Bros, you would have to buy a whole new controller. And the X360? You can literally wiggle it around a good 10-15 degrees in either direction with no input. They're just horrible.

Best analogs ever?

xbox_duke_controller.jpg

Bar none.

edit: The Dreamcast was also pretty bad. The controller itself was way ahead of its time, but the Analogs were ripped right off of the N64 -- and let's face it, positioned badly.

The Gamecube is second place to the original Xbox Dukes. Lovely analogs, aside from that funny octagonal cage on the C-sticks.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jclast wrote: »

I think you misunderstood. He wants to physically swap the positions of the left analog and the d-pad.

Ooooh, gotchya. That would be cool....

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Bar none.

Sir, I see your Duke and raise you an S.

800px-XboxOriginalController.jpg

In all seriousness, the sticks on both were quite good. Back then, MS made excellent PC controllers, and these came to us courtesy of the people who gave us beauties like the Sidewinder FF line. Nowadays, almost no one makes PC controllers.

I thought that the Controller S had almost identical sticks. Were they of a different feel or quality? It's been a while, I suppose.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Sticks? Did I just have retardo DC controllers or something? I remember one shitty d-pad and one shitty analog stick on my DC controllers.
    *applause*

That said, I do disagree on one point. The sticks are too inaccurate, but loose?

They're *nothing* compared to the X360 and original N64 controllers, by far the worst two when it comes to having too much play in the stick. The N64, because after only a month of Mario Party or Smash Bros, you would have to buy a whole new controller. And the X360? You can literally wiggle it around a good 10-15 degrees in either direction with no input. They're just horrible.

Best analogs ever?

xbox_duke_controller.jpg

Bar none.

edit: The Dreamcast was also pretty bad. The controller itself was way ahead of its time, but the Analogs were ripped right off of the N64 -- and let's face it, positioned badly.

The Gamecube is second place to the original Xbox Dukes. Lovely analogs, aside from that funny octagonal cage on the C-sticks.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

So.

Yeah, he does sound like one (he works in design, after all.)

He's still incredibly correct, though.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Bar none.

In all seriousness, the sticks on both were quite good. Back then, MS made excellent PC controllers, and these came to us courtesy of the people who gave us beauties like the Sidewinder FF line. Nowadays, almost no one makes PC controllers.

I thought that the Controller S had almost identical sticks. Were they of a different feel or quality? It's been a while, I suppose.

S had better ergonomics overall, and the face buttons were certainly a huge improvement.

But analogs? Nay sir. I say, look at that beautiful target-groove shape on the Duke's secondary stick. It was perfection. And they both had *just* the right amount of concave/convex-itivity for their height (something else they did right) too, something that has yet to be duplicated on any other controller for some unknown godforsaken reason. Truly, a tragedy.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    S had better ergonomics overall, and the face buttons were certainly a huge improvement.

The start/select/black/white placement on the S was godawful.

I would either have to move my hands off of the controller to use them, or else sprain my thumbs reaching for them.

Evander on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd say they probably changed stick design so they could use the same nub objects on both sticks. Pretty minor cost cutting, but you cut it wherever you can.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could probably pay someone to mod a 360 controller with the Duke's analog sticks. *shrug*

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bar none.

But analogs? Nay sir. I say, look at that beautiful target-groove shape on the Duke's secondary stick. It was perfection. And they both had *just* the right amount of concave/convex-itivity, too, something that has yet to be duplicated on any other controller for some unknown godforsaken reason. Truly, a tragedy.

I defer to your wisdom, though I do imagine that might explain why I preferred the Duke to the S in 3D fighters (mostly DOA3 and a little SC2). Left stick is kind of big for them.

Though, it'd be well within one's capability to cut off the top off the left stick on two controllers, insert a thin metal rod (they're solid, after all), and use some strong glue or resin. If you wanted the ergonomics of the S and the left stick of the Duke, I mean. A little messy, but definitely doable.

(I didn't come up with this, I knew a guy who did it with the four controllers he owned when the S was first released. Either that, or he lied to me and had a secret line to computer hardware factories making Microsoft's stuff, and a custom blueprint.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also, you could throw your Duke at a wall and it would be the wall that got a chunk taken out of it -- not the controller.

I'm convinced those damn things were built to MILSPEC.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hate the Duke so hard. The S is a major improvement.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Evander wrote: »

I would either have to move my hands off of the controller to use them, or else sprain my thumbs reaching for them.

Well, at least you have a big penis.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well, at least you have a big penis.

Well you know what they say about guys with big hands...
    they wear big gloves

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    All I'm saying is that the Duke was the greatest controller ever, and they really ought to make a Duke style controller for the 360 (called The Baron)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As long as it still has bumpers instead of those godawful black and white buttons then I would buy a meatier 360 controller.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    EDIT: Good Christ, seeing someone saying "I grew up with the GameCube" makes me feel old as fuck.

Seriously, Grew UP with a GCN? How old are are these people? I got the GameCube in COLLEGE.

Speaking of which, I still think the GCN controller is perfect, and I have pretty big hands, too. Fits my hands perfectly.

oh, you have big hands, do you?

100_0844.JPG

Bearhands unite.

bearhands.jpg

Man, that almost makes me want to start a thread where we make an infinite controller picture. People holding controllers in front of a picture of people holding controllers that goes on forever.

edit: I think I will actually do that once I have software ready to automate it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would most definitely purchase a baron.

As it stands right now I think my top three controllers (as far as ergonomics goes) are the Duke, the S, and the 360 wireless.

The Duke with bumpers would be the greatest thing ever. Imagine if the jewel were the guide button. . . that thing would need it's own battery pack just to power the LEDs to light the thing.

edit: also, AFAIK the all of the MS console analog stick covers (the plastic/rubber part) interface with the analog component in the exact same way, so it should be a fairly easy mod to swap the sticks around. At the very least, I know the Duke and the S are the same 'cause I swapped the sticks to have the godly Duke's xhair sticks on the otherwise godly S.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jesus fucking christ, i think my entire hand could fit in your palm.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The jewel on the Duke is just so big that it becomes comical.

"Hey man, uh.. shit. We made this controller and have a bit of empty space. What should we do?"

"Well Carl, We've already used up all the buttons"

"Oh I know! Let's install a fucking billboard sized logo in the middle of the controller, so people don't forget what console they are playing."
    Also sometimes when I pull out my OXbox I catch myself trying to press the middle Xbox logo on the S in a failed attempt to bring up the guide

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As long as it still has bumpers instead of those godawful black and white buttons then I would buy a meatier 360 controller.

that's the only reason I never bothered to try to rig one myself with an old, used Duke.

I really need to start the CDE (Coalition of Duke Enthusiasts) back up and try petitioning MSoft again

Evander on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bar none.

That's because 90% of the games that were also made on consoles already have plug and play built in for the 360 controller.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the 360 controller basically just made all those crappy PC controllers not worth buying anymore.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Talking of sticks and controllers in general no one has mentioned the Wii much at all yet. The Wiimote, nunchuck or classic controller. What's people's views on those?

I think that the Wii stick is very comfortable to use. It has good grip and is nice and tight, and the nunchuck itself is very comfortable. It does lack a few things like a couple of extra usable buttons and a second stick but we now know that playing with a split controller is nice.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The wiimote could use a little more contouring, but then that'd probably make it hand-specific which I guess could be bad.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Talking of sticks and controllers in general no one has mentioned the Wii much at all yet. The Wiimote, nunchuck or classic controller. What's people's views on those?

I think that the Wii stick is very comfortable to use. It has good grip and is nice and tight, and the nunchuck itself is very comfortable. It does lack a few things like a couple of extra usable buttons and a second stick but we now know that playing with a split controller is nice.
    I... I actually dislike the split controller. It works for Wii, but I really hope that it does not become the norm. Coincidentally I hope that motion control dies after this gen, but I don't see that happening.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah it's very square, especially compared to the nunchuck sitting in your other hand.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wiimote could really do with more buttons, for a lot of games.

Yes, I know it is supposed to be intuitive and accessible, but so many games use shit like the down on the Dpad, and the + and - button for stuff that they really aren't suited to.

No other major complaints other than the Dpad being a little too small, and rumble in the nunchuck would be nice.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I... I actually dislike the split controller. It works for Wii, but I really hope that it does not become the norm. Coincidentally I hope that motion control dies after this gen, but I don't see that happening.

I've been wondering recently whether instead of motion control the opposite, force feedback, should have been developed further instead?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The split controller is the best thing.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like the gate on the nunchuck, I find the Dpad way too small on the wiimote. Nintendo didn't seem to learn that it is not a good idea to make a controller where a significant portion of the controller is not possible to reach (lol 3handled n64), which is pretty much the same with the 1 and 2 buttons.

I don't like how I have to pull some ninja foojistics if I want to take a drink or grab a bite. . . with a conventional controller I can just hold it with one hand, with wii+chuck I have to set one down. If it happens to be a lolwaggle game then that usual means catastrophic failure in the form of avatar seppuku.

That said, I applaud Nintendo's ability to sell extra shit we shouldn't actually need for highly inflated prices. By the end of the Wii's lifetime we'll end up having 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 motion pluses, 4 balance boards, 4 classic controllers, 4 heart sensors, 4 wii anal plugs, and 4 jumbo-sized Nintendo branded lube bottles, etc.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    4 wiimotes,

yeah because the other consoles only support 2 controllers
    4 nunchucks,

needed for analog control
    4 motion pluses

which are going to be coming free with a crap ton of games, and are permanent upgrades to the Wiimote
    , 4 balance boards,

The Wii can only handle a maximum of 2 and then you can't use a Wiimote at all
    4 classic controllers

which so far are fully optional

FyreWulff on