Options

[Let's Play] Dragon Force: Part 2 - Pincer Strike

2»

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only thing I disagree with in the flowchart is Mages. I can usually win against anything except Dragons with them by using a Defense formation and some really high end magic. They're also a general's worst nightmare, since you can position them to harm him/her without taking any damage in return.

This is also possible with Archers of course, but they suck.

Also, Dragon Force 2 added a new troop or two if I recall, but it's so overly mediocre that it's best not mentioned.

The dual troop aspects are neat, though. (You can carry two types of soldiers in one battle, like having Mages in the front and Soldiers in the rear.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HematophiliaHematophilia Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, The chart I made above is straight from the instruction book. Of course, mages can kill anything, but there's some troops that dies faster than others.

Hematophilia on
    Feel the heat that is but a glimmer of eternal torment!
  • Options
    sorinevsorinev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yup, it's right from the booklet. I lost it long ago (let a friend borrow the game way back when and his 3 year old made the manual disappear), but I remember most of the chart.

And yeah, the mages thing in the chart of the booklet is a little spotty. I think the chart is basing their abilities mostly off of distance attacking because they barely dent harpies when they're in melee range.

As for strategy, I try not to use them and I hate going against them. When I'm forced to use them, I try to retreat them back so that the front row is parallel with the general (although this admittedly puts the general at considerable risk if care is not taken).

I only hate going against them because they're annoying - I don't actually find them hard to fight. I always do special formation --> disperse. That way they're safely out of range of the attacking mages. One single mage tossing fireballs at my general barely registers on the hp bar, depending on the General's hardiness. I'll use whatever anti-troop magic I have, then I'll wait for the enemy to fire off a spell. It doesn't matter what spell it is, I just need the time that is bought by having the enemy's power bar counting down, rather than ready. I'll then Regroup for a couple of seconds, then Advance. The mages are usually gone before the enemy can even fire off their next spell and my troop losses at that point are barely a handful.

sorinev on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think using mages/archers usually went like so...

Start in Standby:

MMMMM
    MMMMM
    MMMMM O
    MMMMM
    MMMMM

While the front row is in the middle of their attack animation, do a quick Retreat>Standby to stagger the formation a bit:

M MMMM
    M MMMM
    M MMMO
    M MMMM
    M MMMM

When the enemy troops reach the front line, use some lengthy magic spell to keep them from attacking. Meanwhile, they'll filter in between the first and second rows, getting pelted by twice as many fireballs as usual.

I'm fuzzy on a lot of other tactics I used to use. The AI was very exploitable in this game, but that was a pretty big part of its appeal to me for some reason.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I forgot to put alot of screenshots, but I promise I'll get better at taking screens of the fights later on. It's kinda hard to include any action when the battles consists of 10v10, 20v20, etc.

EV128.jpg
    Without further ado, Welcome to our first episode of Gongos's path of conquest!

Stick around, boot up our beastman's theme music and let's get on with the show.

Chapter 1: King of the jungle

00000000.jpg
    From what you see here, the nation of Bozack isn't much of a threat for the surrounding kingdoms. 5 generals and a single castle won't do much damage to the mighty samurais to the north, the mysterious gray-flagged castle or the Highland soldiers. :(

00000001-1.jpg
    We're the green area in the south-west corner. Today's objective will be to reclaim the bozack forest in the name of the Gallant man! But first, for our first domestic affairs, we'll try to recruit someone or find a valuable object. I was personally crossing my fingers for an officer so he can defend Bozack while we go out and smash infidels and stuff.

00000003.jpg
    Fortunately, Katt didn't disappoint as she hired an enthusiast zombie-slaying... ninja person. Say hi to Slythis.

00000005.jpg
    Hokay! And so Gongos, Rygar, Baghib, Katt and Yuni were deployed to the nearby castle while Slythis plays the benchwarmer role. Personally, I don't like generic officers so I leave them all behind while I train the ones with unique portraits. So Slythis will be happy to hear that he'll never fight. Ever. ... Wait, what the...

00000007.jpg
    ...Well, this didn't take very long. Invaders from Lightan are trying to take over Bozack while our king isn't home! Gunter with an army of 10 soldiers. Hopefully Slythis will be good enough to do the job. Then maybe he'll play a more important role. ...Maybe.

Anyway, onto Sardia Castle!

00000008.jpg

Gongos.jpg:Gunner! You're alive!

Gunner.jpg: I came to take my revenge on you... because I was exiled by your father.

Gongos.jpg: You rebelled against us! It was right to exile you! You should have been executed! My father SPARED your hide! You have my father to thank for your life, ungrateful one!

Gunner.jpg: Grrrr! Shut up! Because of your soft ways, we are falling far behind the elf and the human tribes! I think about the future of Bozack, of the beastmen! That is why I was exiled!

Gongos.jpg: Ho ho, ho! Gunner! You are still stupid! You still don't know why your rebellion failed, do you?

Gunner.jpg: Grrr, what do you mean?

Gongos.jpg: No one wants to follow you! You are too ugly and stupid! It is the same now as five years ago! Har har har! Yes.

Gunner.jpg: Hrrrmmpf! Warriors will follow a leader who is strong. I don't force them to. And besides that, I am a descendant of the Beast King, Leviathan. That makes me the ONLY one suitable to be king today!

Gongos.jpg: Ahhh hah hah hah!! No one will believe such a fairy tale! Har har har hah!

Gunner.jpg: Gongos, you must die to make room for the new king!!

Gongos.jpg: New king! Ahhh hah hah hah! Ohh oh, you're killing me! Ha ha...I...I will calm that fevered brain of yours! Yes.
    BOZACK ARMY VS GUNNER ARMY
    Gongos Gunner

Gongos.jpg: Ha, ha. You get so caught up in the thrill of battle, you forget all cunning and strategies.

Gunner.jpg: You have some nerve asking Lord Gunner to fight.

And so we begin. ... Hm?

00000036.jpg
    It seems like we have a battle enthusiast. However, I don't want to get Yuni in harm's way, so I'll let Gongos wisely tell her to shut up and stay back.

00000037.jpg
    Sorry, I had to include that quote. Wisest thing Gongos will ever say, trust me.

00000039.jpg
    Gunner's army consists of himself, Silva, Rykker and Norse. That means 20 beasts, 20 beasts, 20 cavalry and 10 soldiers respectively. Mine has Gongos (30 beasts), Rygar (30 beasts), Baghib (20 beasts), Katt (20 mages), and Yuni (10 beasts). Since all my beastmen shares a weakness against soldiers, I wisely send Katt's mages to doom Norse's footmen to spontaneous combustion.

Any last words?
    00000040.jpg
    Very well.

00000041.jpg
    Our opponent has called a special formation. I'd hope so, because leaving men behind against a ranged class would be pretty dumb. But then again, it's Norse. You'll learn to hate him if I get my hands on him.

00000042.jpg
    Let's fight back with our own special formation.

00000043.jpg
    Rain of death ensues, and Norse's army of... 10 soldiers... is left crippled.

00000044.jpg
    A final "FU" Bomb is cast upon Norse, who decides to flee before I can even surround him with fiery balls of pain. :(

00000045-1.jpg
    Yeah. Kinda overkill. But since Rygar had more CMD than Gongos, he'll be fighting Gunner. And I didn't want to test my luck against Silva by sending Baghib, because in many of my games, she'd send him flying to the hospital.

00000047.jpg
    ...She still manages to piss me off by playing defense. I hate defense. And Gongos has no troop-killing move yet. The outcome was inevitable.

00000051.jpg
    Indeed.

00000052.jpg
    Okay.

00000053.jpg
    One of the challenges I gave myself was that I'd never retreat or abandon a castle. So I took my chances and accepted the duel. Fortunately, Gongos is an excellent duelist!

00000054.jpg
    Rykker is stuck against everyone's favorite emo beastman.

00000055.jpg
    Yeah. He flees shortly afterwards along with Norse.

00000056.jpg
    The other reason I wanted those two to fight is because of their dialogue. Gentlemen, to arms!

00000057.jpg
    Gunner begins with an offense formation and manages to escape my wall of death with a special ability.

00000058.jpg
    Nice try.

00000059.jpg
    Unfortunately, my beasts are still looking for a fight, and Gunner happened to stand around with a few pals.

00000060.jpg
    Rygar also wanted to trade a few blows and jump in the fight to say hi to Gunner.

Frightened and lonely, Gunners surrenders to the Bozack forces!

Gunner.jpg: Harrrrrggg! Why can't I ever win! Why!?!

Gongos.jpg: You want to know why? Because I am the gallant man of the forest, that's why!

00000064.jpg

I didn't give chase to Rykker and Norse. I promised I wouldn't chase any fleeing enemies down, and that includes those punks too.

Since I fear for our benchwarmer, Slythis, I've sent some reinforcement over to Bozack in case he gets his butt handed over to him on a plate!

00000065.jpg
    This should do.

00000066.jpg
    Seems I won't get there on time. Hm.

00000067.jpg
    Do your worst!

00000070.jpg
    No matter what would happen here, if Gunter doesn't retreat, we're going in a duel.

00000072.jpg
    And this is one of the only times you'll ever see a ninja win against a fighter in a duel. Really big spot of luck here.

Captive - Gunter

00000075.jpg
    So ends Slythis' moment of glory as the reinforcements arrives and Rygar takes leadership.

00000074.jpg
    I think they're far enough to chase down now. ...But who is that mage standing on our way? Better send Katt to check it out.

00000076.jpg

Yuug.jpg: Let's retreat for now... I wonder what Gunner's doing...

...And he retreats without fighting, running blindly towards Gongos!

00000080.jpg

...And he runs back to his initial position! Seems like there's no way to beat him up. Let's send Katt back to Bozack and wait for new orders.

00000082.jpg
    As you can see, Rykker and Norse are having a blast up there. They managed to beat the Tradnor and Izumo armies. I guess I'll have to capture them anyway. Ah well.

Domestic affairs beckons!

Chancellor.jpg: Lord Gongos, what are you thinking to do with Gunner?

Baghib.jpg: Death by fire if we follow the ancient law!!

Gongos.jpg: Well, wait a minute. Gongos is a modern king. We will have interpersonal captor/captive communication.

Rygar.jpg: I thought so, that is why I brought him in.

Gunner.jpg: RRROWR! How did I lose against such an imbecile?!!

Chancellor.jpg: Silence!! Bedraggled swine! You are still alive because of the mercy of Lord Gongos!

Gunner.jpg: Dammit! I should have been king of Bozack!

Gongos.jpg: Too small, Gunner. You think too small.

Gunner.jpg: What?

Gongos.jpg: King of Bozack? Your goal is too small. This is big, big land. You can have any place you want. How about from now on, you go around the land with me?

Gunner.jpg: What do you mean?

Gongos.jpg: Right now, Gunner, Fandaria makes war with everybody. Only way I can win is to go take over the other kingdoms. Then together we can attack big Fandaria in his face! Hah! After that, if you want, I will give to you the Fandarian Empire, at least.

Gunner.jpg: You tease me!

Gongos.jpg: Sure, sure I'm sure. .... Very serious. Very sure.

Gunner.jpg: Huh, you are a man who says extraordinary things. And I lost to you. I guess I had a small dream compared to yours.... I should go with you, to see what there is to take.

Silva.jpg: .....I'm coming with Gunner too, I guess.

Gunner.jpg: Well? Yuug? Where did Yuug go?

Gongos.jpg: Who is this Yuug?

Gunner.jpg: He is the magic warrior who helped me. That bum......grrrrrr... Did he run away?!? I am going to nail his head to a tree when I find him!

Gunner and Silva joins the Bozack army. Yay, more beasts!

00000115.jpg
    Hail the nose!

00000116.jpg

00000117.jpg
    +Baghib,Katt,Slythis

I have also given Gongos' second reward to Yuni to give her a fighting chance. Because like it or not, she WILL be part of my main force.

00000121.jpg
    There you have it. Beastmen knows spanish.

Search: Katt - Failed to recruit a fighter.

Captives:
    00000122.jpg
    00000123.jpg
    Guess he's still abit ashamed after getting pummeled by a ninja.

00000124.jpg
    And so ends my first turn of Dragon Force. Our objective was completed. Bozack is now ours!

Now, what should we do?

!1: Take Norse and Rykker, start putting pressure on Tradnor and Izumo.
    !2: Take Norse and Rykker, move on to Highland.
    !3: Leave Norse and Rykker, watch in amusement as Izumo and Tradnor can't defeat them. Move to Highland.
    !4: Defend, build up a bigger force.

Rest assured that Yuug will be meeting up with Gunner next turn. ;)

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd say a little of 1 , 2, and 4. Take out some of Izumo and Tradnor's advance guard, and put some pressure on Highland. I'd hate to see blondie get too powerful.

If anyone, conquer Tradnor first, because taking Izumo and being that close to Fandaria is just asking for trouble.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    To be fair, conquering Tradnor would take pressure off Goldark's back, and it'd give him more freedom to harass the regions of Izumo, Topaz and Tradnor.
    If anything, the kingdom I should take over without getting my ass handed to me is Highland. I'll probably be getting you-know-who in the next few turns and get Rykker for some Cavalry backup.

Also: Taking Tradnor would mean I'd have to split my already short army into smaller divisions: I need to defend the crossroad to Izumo-Tradnor-Bozack from Mikhal, Tradnor's right castle from Wein, and the top one from Goldark, should he weaken Topaz.

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'd mess around with peculiar neighboring towns and Lightonia first, though the latter would be a little annoying without temporarily walking back on the "no abandoning castles" rule. It's pointless to fight them more than once per week.

It would probably be best to only give Gongos awards earned through acquired territory since you're not using crests. He should have his troops maxed out by the end of the game from those alone.

This is like the most anal-retentive nitpick ever, but here's some smaller, direct-rip portraits if you feel like saving a bit on the V-scroll.

Yuni is the greatest. Her custom attack animations are adorable. All of the generic officers received some backstory and slightly differentiated portraits in the PS2 version too, which is cool even if I can't read a damn bit of it.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'd mess around with peculiar neighboring towns and Lightonia first, though the latter would be a little annoying without temporarily walking back on the "no abandoning castles" rule. It's pointless to fight them more than once per week.

It would probably be best to only give Gongos awards earned through acquired territory since you're not using crests. He should have his troops maxed out by the end of the game from those alone.

This is like the most anal-retentive nitpick ever, but here's some smaller, direct-rip portraits if you feel like saving a bit on the V-scroll.

Yuni is the greatest. Her custom attack animations are adorable. All of the generic officers received some backstory and slightly differentiated portraits in the PS2 version too, which is cool even if I can't read a damn bit of it.

Oh hey, thanks for those portraits. I was ripping mine from other sources, but smaller ones are always welcome. I'll put them to good use.
    I get what you mean. Usually I'd be messing with Zanon from turn 2 and on + stealing generals from neighboring castles, but with the rules I've given myself, I just can't afford harassing kingdoms. It's either conquer or stay put. I'm also REALLY crossing fingers for Hayate and Shirox. They would make wonderful allies for this challenge early in the game.

It's a sin to play a game as Gongos and leave Yuni unplayed. And yeah, I only give my monarchs awards from conquered territories.

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yuni really is the best.

I think she constantly wants to volunteer for fights, even if she hasn't a prayer of winning.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "No one wants to follow you! You are too ugly and stupid! It is the same now as five years ago! Har har har! Yes."

I like the cut of Gongos's jib.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    1) Send every free person you can up to take Rykker and Norse, then hang around for as long as you can and collect awards. One way or another, try to have each general get a fight in (even if it's a draw, because that counts as a victory and nets an award) because multiple victories in one week by one person all only net one award.

or

3) If it's true that none of the other kingdoms can go south of that castle until you come north, then I say sure, go mess around with Highland. This is my preference, if, like I said, it's true. It will let your kingdom lie peacefully while you head east.

sorinev on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I vote !3, I like that the refugees driven out by your conquests are themselves terrorizing your enemies.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I found this game at some little game shop, bought it, started playing, saved, and came back a couple hours later with a friend, and we kept playing all night, like for 4 or 5 hours.

Went to play the next day, save was gone. Bastard Saturn tricked me. Haven't been able to play it since.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    GenocideHeartGenocideHeart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is something I mentioned in a PM to cj_iwakura (the man, myth, legend who did the Tristan LP :P ), but playing as Bozack, you can recruit Zanon as well. It just is really complicated, since it seems to have multiple requirements.

From my own testing, these are the requirements to successfully get the Zanon event where he joins (which you can see in debug Mode, BTW - that's how I knew it existed):

(spoilered in case someone wants to try on their own)
    1) Never capture any of Zanon's generals until you have to deal with him after he flipped out;

2) Get the scene where Zanon rescues Katt from Ryskim's clutches after meeting him the first time, but before he goes insane (this one may not be set in stone, I'm still experimenting);

3) ALWAYS bring no one but your five core generals (Gongos, Rygar, Baghib, Katt and especially Yuni, who is vital to this) when fighting Zanon at any time;

4) Allow Yuni to fight and defeat Zanon every time. Not sure if that's obligatory, but in the event where he is captured, Yuni is the one who pounces on him and disarms him, and that's how I got him to be captured instead of killed, so better safe than sorry.

If all of those requirements are met, USUALLY you will see a scene where Zanon threatens around with Eclisis, and Yuni... uh... seriously, see the scene for yourself, because it's the single most deliriously funny thing in the game.

GenocideHeart on
    "I... It's Lu Bu! Lu Bu has come to destroy us all!!"
    --Random grunt about to be destroyed in DW5
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is something I mentioned in a PM to cj_iwakura (the man, myth, legend who did the Tristan LP :P ), but playing as Bozack, you can recruit Zanon as well. It just is really complicated, since it seems to have multiple requirements.

From my own testing, these are the requirements to successfully get the Zanon event where he joins (which you can see in debug Mode, BTW - that's how I knew it existed):

(spoilered in case someone wants to try on their own)
    1) Never capture any of Zanon's generals until you have to deal with him after he flipped out;

2) Get the scene where Zanon rescues Katt from Ryskim's clutches after meeting him the first time, but before he goes insane (this one may not be set in stone, I'm still experimenting);

3) ALWAYS bring no one but your five core generals (Gongos, Rygar, Baghib, Katt and especially Yuni, who is vital to this) when fighting Zanon at any time;

4) Allow Yuni to fight and defeat Zanon every time. Not sure if that's obligatory, but in the event where he is captured, Yuni is the one who pounces on him and disarms him, and that's how I got him to be captured instead of killed, so better safe than sorry.

If all of those requirements are met, USUALLY you will see a scene where Zanon threatens around with Eclisis, and Yuni... uh... seriously, see the scene for yourself, because it's the single most deliriously funny thing in the game.

Oh, I know, but I have to wait end-game to trigger that event.
    I also need to reach Shadow tower to trigger the Vlad VS Riskym event.

EDIT: Dynasty Warriors rules. But I'm more of a fan of Gan Ning myself.

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So I found this game at some little game shop, bought it, started playing, saved, and came back a couple hours later with a friend, and we kept playing all night, like for 4 or 5 hours.

Went to play the next day, save was gone. Bastard Saturn tricked me. Haven't been able to play it since.

The battery is probably bad. I've had it happen before. Get a new one, or better yet, a backup cart. It even happened once during the LP. I just started it over again. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I live in Italy. Are there any good retailers where I can still find backup carts for Saturn? I have an old Action replay, but doubt it's still alive...

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The battery is probably bad. I've had it happen before. Get a new one, or better yet, a backup cart. It even happened once during the LP. I just started it over again. :P

Oh I know, it was the battery. That's why I saved and came back later, to see if the save would stay, and it did at first, so I thought it was still good. It's been replaced now.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I live in Italy. Are there any good retailers where I can still find backup carts for Saturn? I have an old Action replay, but doubt it's still alive...

Play-Asia, or ebay a 4-in-one Action Replay. I've had random issues with mine losing data (:x), but it seems to last if I keep the cart in the Saturn.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is Dragon Force (PS2) largely the same game with a graphical update?

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    kedinik wrote: »

Pretty much. They added two new bosses, voice acting, and artwork. I think the actual gameplay is exactly the same(possibly looks the same, too).

It even has the same cutscenes as the original. But no Working Designs localization, which is one of the best things about DF.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alrighty, expect an update tonight. The best course of action seems to be taking Norse and Rykker as captives, hold that castle for as long as possible for rewards, and then put pressure on Izumo and Reinhart once I get a reasonable attack force!

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Part 2: Pincer Strike
    00000000.jpg
    Welcome to the second chapter of my quest to conquer the world! As you can see, our army is growing slow and steady with the recent addition of Gunner and Silva to our forces.

00000001.jpg
    Let's give our rookie some beasts to travel the world with, then we'll pay that cowardly mage a visit, Mmm?

00000003.jpg Sent him alone. He should be fine. For the record, I've deployed Rygar and Yuni back to Sardia so we can prepare our assault on Rykker's division.

00000004.jpg
    Gunner.jpg: You planned to let me fight alone from the start!
    Yuug.jpg: I am good at magic, but even better at escapes. watch me disappear...
    Gunner.jpg: Hey...hey...HEY! I'll not let you get away! The only way for a coward is to die. DIE, coward!
    Yuug.jpg: ...oh!...ummm...ah... If only I had more time to plan my trickery... um... Lord Gaul...help...me!
    Gunner.jpg: Gaul? You are not... You are working for the Empire of Fandaria!

...How did he know Gaul was Fandarian anyway?

00000016.jpg
    Welp, he disappeared without putting up a fight.

00000018.jpg
    Funerals aside, it's time to begin our next move!

00000019.jpg
    Let's have our division wait on that city and send a second division (made of Baghib alone while Silva is ordered to stay behind) catches up after recruiting some troops.

00000020.jpg
    Huh?

00000021.jpg
    Shirox.jpg: I don't know who you think you are, but the forest here is my territory. No one enters or exits without my approval. I guess it's time I taught you a lesson in manners!
    Shirox.jpg: Well now. That's a face to break a few thousand mirrors. I can see you are thieves looking for Hayate. Sorry to disappoint you, but Hayate's not showing up. But, I'll fight in his absence. The name's Shirox, Hayate's star pupil...

00000032.jpg
    Okay then. Shirox meet Katt.

00000034.jpg
    Since beasts are at a disadvantage against samurais and Shirox had 40, there was no way I'd send anyone other than Katt without running the risk of getting humiliated. I felt much more confident with mages.

00000036.jpg
    He starts out alright...

00000040.jpg
    Somehow gets his arse handed to him...

00000041.jpg
    And runs.

00000042.jpg
    Hayate.jpg: Please wait! That boy is my pupil.
    Shirox.jpg: Master Hayate!
    Hayate.jpg: Please forgive my student. He mistook you. People have come seeking to challenge me lately. Rogues and ruffians comes to fight with me, seeking the fame that would come with defeating me. Shirox thought you were like them. A thousand pardons. The student's error falls solely upon his master. If an apology won't do, I want you to have this tactics book. It will prove very useful in the strategy of combat. I don't need it anymore. Well, Shirox, let's go.
    Shirox.jpg: Yes, Master.

00000055.jpg
    Result of this battle: I get strategy runes, an item that grants my character Intelligence, used for research if it reaches 70.

00000056.jpg
    Also, Katt levels up. Anyway, let's resume our march.

00000059.jpg
    Meet Yuni. While she doesn't seem like it, she's a really powerful beast(wo)man and takes a surprisingly huge amount of blows.

00000062.jpg
    She received one sonic boom and 2 soldiers attacked her. Fairly decent.

00000064.jpg
    Anyway a duel begins and Norse gets cleaved in half.

00000066.jpg
    Let's see what Gunner can do.

00000072.jpg
    Cowards deserve death, etc etc.

00000073.jpg
    captives: Norse & Rykker.

Now what's going on around the world?
    00000074.jpg
    Tradnor expands to the North, Topaz claims an empty castle. HO HO HO.

00000075.jpg
    Nothing impressive to the east, but Palemoon attempts to invade Tristan.

But back in our homeland of Bozack, we're about to get in a world of trouble.

00000076.jpg
    Tradnor is sending a friendly hello to the south.

00000078.jpg
    Those !@#$ing skull childrens have chosed the worst time to bother us.

00000079.jpg
    And Izumo didn't seem too happy about their past attempts at taking over the castle we quietly stole from Rykker's hands.

00000080.jpg
    Oh boy. Tradnor arrives first.

00000081.jpg
    Spirit users are fragile things, and Gongos can chop half their health in one cross flash.

00000083.jpg
    Beasts don't like fire. They opted to disperse out of harm's way while fire balls are flying all over the place.

00000087.jpg

Kung%20vs%20Barraka%20Fatality.png

00000088.jpg
    More beasts, more mages.

00000093.jpg

00000099.jpg
    Zerg rushes are awesome.

00000100.jpg
    +Rygar & Baghib.

But before we get more bloodshed, domestic affairs!
    00000104.jpg
    Gongos.jpg: Nirutaba, do you know anything about him?
    Nirutaba.jpg: Well, strange to find a ninja living in the forest, eh?
    Gongos.jpg: He shouted something about being the best student. He said... I think his master is called....uh... Hayate?
    Nirutaba.jpg: Hmm, I have heard that name somewhere before. Oh, yes! I remember. He is the genius of ninjitsu from the land of Izumo, where, among his peopple, he is considered a living legend. Hayate claims his skill as a ninja is unmatched.
    Gongos.jpg: A living legend...hmm.
    Nirutaba.jpg: He has been missing in his country for years now. So, I think we have stumbled on the master's secret, eh? Who would have thought he has been hiding here?
    Gongos.jpg: I wish I could meet him and see what he's really like.

00000119.jpg
    They just LOVE your nose!

00000120.jpg
    +Rygar, Baghib, Katt, Gunner
    Gongos - 50 Beasts
    Rygar: 50 Beasts
    Baghib: 40 Beasts
    Katt: 40 Mages
    Yuni: 30 Beasts
    Gunner: 30 Beasts

I saved Gongos' extra award for another occasion. Who know what we'll stumble upon... So, let's see our captives.

00000121.jpg
    Gained your pride back huh?
    Milishea.jpg: I would be glad to work for you. When do we eat?
    Norse.jpg: Hmph, okay, I'll join you.
    Rykker.jpg: Get out of my sight!
    baww.png

00000125.jpg
    That'll be useful! ...Oh wait.

One last thing we need to do.
    00000127.jpg
    We'll give the book to Gunner so he is granted the search function.

00000128.jpg
    Let's fortify our defenses.

00000130.jpg
    Well... it failed, but we were lucky enough to get full unit supplies! Now we can get our newly recruited captives to full troops, and maybe, if we're lucky, recover from Tradnor's damage.

00000126.jpg
    So ends our second turn! This is getting more and more interesting. Whatever will we do once we're done pushing Izumo and Tradnor back? Will we attack Mikhal? Reinhart? And what about Hayate? Hmm....

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In the 13 years that I've had this game, I've only played Gongos once (all the way through). I never really liked him much. But this inspired me to give it another round so the other day, I started one up. The only thing I have to say thus far is:
    regarding Yuug. I actually ignored him and I'm glad I did. It would appear that he is unbeatable by the AI. Izumo headed down towards Sardia, and they were repelled by Yuug. Twice. At that point, he got one of those exclamation points over his head and decided to chase down the fleeing Izumo army. He then proceed to take Mikeral Castle (intersection of Bozack, Izumo and Tradnor) and has been sitting there ever since. Since it seems that he's unbeatable, he has effectively contained Izumo to just three castles and prevents either Izumo or Tradnor from proceeding south into my home territory.

I've taken the opportunity to freely harass Highland without worrying about defending my native territory, and then going around through the rest of the continent counter clockwise from there.

yuug1.png
    yuug2.png

sorinev on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Presto is the classiest chap around.

At any rate, it seems I have a 3-day weekend on my hands. I think I might just do a Goldark playthrough and post an abridged play-by-play after this one is completed, as the beginning of Goldark's story is a significant spoiler for the others.

Hell march!

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Heh, :^: Gongos's conversation with the Mage. The dialogue in this game is pretty funny.

kedinik on
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    goddamn i suck with this game. I just don't understand the formation thing at all...

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What about it are you having trouble with?

sorinev on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm guessing he means that it's fairly difficult to put the different formations to your advantage at the beginning. I had a hard time using Protect, Surround and Squad when I started playing. Hell, I didn't know how to use my supplies to hold the lines with protect formation at first.

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm guessing he means that it's fairly difficult to put the different formations to your advantage at the beginning. I had a hard time using Protect, Surround and Squad when I started playing. Hell, I didn't know how to use my supplies to hold the lines with protect formation at first.

see, I have no idea what you just said about supplies. I need to go read up or something.

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MadnessBA wrote: »

see, I have no idea what you just said about supplies. I need to go read up or something.

The guys you have on stand-by behind your officer in Protect formation.

Hematophilia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I love protect and surround. They're excellent defensive formations, not even counting the defense bonus the troops get. I hate squad though, I never use it.
    MadnessBA wrote: »

I don't know what he meant about supplies either, and I've been playing this game since it came out. I'm assuming he means the reserve troops stationed behind the general when you use protect formation.

sorinev on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

Pretty much. They added two new bosses, voice acting, and artwork. I think the actual gameplay is exactly the same(possibly looks the same, too).

It even has the same cutscenes as the original. But no Working Designs localization, which is one of the best things about DF.

It's a crime that we never got PS2 Dragon Force. I've thought about importing but decided against it, like you say WD's localisation typos and all is half the game's charm.

Anyway nice LP so far, it's always good to see more love for DF. :)

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I use "Special" formation about 90% of the time. I don't even know why it's called Special. Pretty sure that's a misnomer. Breach is useful against mages/archers as long as the other guy doesn't have Sonic Wave/Blast.

Usually, it makes the most sense to play defensive. Keep your guys stationary and let them pick off enemy troops as they approach, then rush the commanding officer when his troops are all dead.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've been doing a Gongos campaign myself. I just conquered Tradnor and crippled Izumo by employing the extremely cheap tactic of camping a scary army over Hayate's forest village and raiding Mikeral castle whenever Tradnor and Izumo exchanged pleasantries.

The Skull Children harassed me a couple times, but nothing a quick swap with the home castle's fresh generals couldn't fix. Now my army counts Uryll, Gigg, Ardor and Santana in its ranks, as well as Mileen of Fandaria, who had the unhealthy idea of attacking me alone en route for Highland...

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mileen of Fandaria, who had the unhealthy idea of attacking me alone en route for Highland...
    Several of the unimportant officers (anybody who isn't counted among a monarch's main circle) and practically all of the generic ones (those who share the same portraits and can be found in search) seem to exhibit this behavior. It seems that most AI monarchs instruct these guys to head straight for Highland regardless of any other factors. The result is that--if they're even lucky enough to get close--Wein will capture them and add them to his ranks. This seems to be done for the sole purpose of inflating the size of Highland's army.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hah. Well, I have decided to leave Izumo alone for now, and am now striving to beat down the monk populace of Legendra.

Goldark is now bottled in Fandaria, since I blocked off his only access to the mainland with Gunner's posse (who are more than enough to deal with his attacks) and a few generics for good measure. On the other hand, Topaz is putting up a fight. Damn it, Yanna, stop hospitalizing my VIP officers.

GenocideHeart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I finished my playthrough with Goldark today. I'll prepare screenshots of important scenes (probably much) later.

For a laugh, I decided to try out Teiris w/ Archers vs Katmando, as I don't think I had ever done that before. It surprisingly didn't end that badly; you just have to keep them up in his face instead of firing from long-range, or else he'll just make short work of Teiris very quickly. For some reason he was stuck punching one lone archer right in front of him but never actually hitting him until he used his long-range shot that goes all the way to your officer.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This technically is off-topic, but we're the only ones likely to care anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32EFAZjPrM

Evidently FaustWolf and a whip-wielding prosecutor(:P) are working on hacking and possibly translating? Dragon Force 2, the sequel that almost no one's played.

hellyeah6.png

I imported it near the end of the Saturn's lifespan because it's DF2, and I had to play it.

hellyeah2.png

I never got too far. It has some neat improvements like dual troops in battle, and the new Tradnor ruler uses Katmando as a steed, but overall, it's a severe downgrade. The graphics are bland and near lifeless compared to how bright and shiny DF1 was, and the music is less quality to match.

Also, if you thought the Skull Children were bad, imagine castles with five of them each with 100 soldiers.

Still, it's worth a go just for being DF2.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png