As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Georgia sends teen to prison for 10yrs for...

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    But is there a lower limit?
    Here's the law.

Assuming I'm reading this right, and unless there's some other law that supercedes this, it appears that the lower limit is 16; but if one party is pregnant, there's no lower limit, period.

So if he'd gotten her pregnant instead of getting a blowjob, would this have all been legal? Or in that case would he have still gone to jail for impregnating her, but then she'd have been free, since she was pregnant, to turn around and marry someone else without parental consent, after which point she could give that person as many blowjobs as she wanted legally? What the fuck is going on here?
    54964455-S.jpg

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Casket wrote:
    LiveWire wrote:
    Georgia Supreme Court has convicted a 17yr old male to 10years in prison (without parole) for consensual oral sex with a 15yr old female. The have also rejected the subsequent appeal.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=32&url_article_id=22700&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

What the fuck is wrong with our society?

There was more to this story probably.

How do you know the kid wasn't kind of a douche?

I didn't know being "kind of a douche" is grounds for being put in prison for ten years, you fucktard.

God this thread makes me so angry on SO many levels.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Saburbia wrote:
    So what is the law exaclty for child molesting, is it someone over 16 with someone under 16? I'm not too knowledgable about these laws, even though I should be. :P
    16 is the age of consent in Georgia, so him being 17 and the girl 15 etc. The reason he got 10 years though is that they consider anything besides penis-->vagina sex as "sodomy", which carries a harsher punishment. Since he was a 17 year old engaging in oral sex with a 15 year old, it's sodomy along with underage sex, so he gets the harsher sentence.
    I'd prefer to not even think about this, but I'm curious: why do they think penis-to-vagina child molestation is better than non-penis-to-vagina child molestation?

Agem on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Agem wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    So what is the law exaclty for child molesting, is it someone over 16 with someone under 16? I'm not too knowledgable about these laws, even though I should be. :P
    16 is the age of consent in Georgia, so him being 17 and the girl 15 etc. The reason he got 10 years though is that they consider anything besides penis-->vagina sex as "sodomy", which carries a harsher punishment. Since he was a 17 year old engaging in oral sex with a 15 year old, it's sodomy along with underage sex, so he gets the harsher sentence.
    I'd prefer to not even think about this, but I'm curious: why do they think penis-to-vagina child molestation is better than non-penis-to-vagina child molestation?

Because that way the molestation can at least result in new parishioners.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Because penis-to-vagina is at least an act that god intended

Obviously god did not intend for oral sex to exist

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Agem wrote:
    Saburbia wrote:
    It might have something to do with Georgia's location relative to the Mason-Dixon Line.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:

If God had meant us to have oral sex He would have given us mouths.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2006
    The defendant is also black. I wonder if the court would have had its hands tied if he was a good ol white boy. I bet it would be more boys will be boys.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    3 things I'm wondering:

1) Does anyone know if there's any sort of appeal going on, and if so, how successful it's going?

2) Was he charged as an adult or as a minor (I remember certain states tend to up 17 into the majority for certain situations, although I thought it was only for capital offenses)? if as an adult, how come?

3) What's this about a 16 year old's involvement, alcohol, and the telling of someone's mother?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rygar wrote:
    The defendant is also black.

Oh.

Well he's fucked then.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    3 things I'm wondering:

1) Does anyone know if there's any sort of appeal going on, and if so, how successful it's going?

2) Was he charged as an adult or as a minor (I remember certain states tend to up 17 into the majority for certain situations, although I thought it was only for capital offenses)? if as an adult, how come?

3) What's this about a 16 year old's involvement, alcohol, and the telling of someone's mother?
    4) What happened to the other six boys charged?

5) Is race an issue in this case?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2006
    FreddyD wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    3 things I'm wondering:

4) What happened to the other six boys charged?

5) Is race an issue in this case?

ht_Wilson_060306_sp.jpg

Unknown User on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Isn't it a five year minimum for corn rows?

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    Yeah, we just had a thread dealing with something similar to this.

These are laws that are absolutely necessary. Sometimes, due to the way they are written, some dolphin get caught up with the tuna. It's sad, but we gotta keep canning the tuna.

If there's anyone to be angry at, be angry at the Georgia Legislature. The Supreme Court didn't convict the guy. They just rejected his appeal.
    It is better for a hundred guilty people to go free than one innocent person than one innocent person should suffer.

Also, people have more worth than a dolphin.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Oh.

Well he's fucked then.

I had that sitting in the back of my mind, and I planned to reveal it later, until I got lynched. I just figured it was the elephant in the room that no one was talking about.
    Black kid, white girl, super white jury?

Doesn't mean he should be sent to jail for 10 years.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Casket wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Oh.

Well he's fucked then.

I had that sitting in the back of my mind, and I planned to reveal it later, until I started a bonfire, then jumped in it. I just figured it was the elephant in the room that no one was talking about.
    Black kid, white girl, super white jury?

Doesn't mean he should be sent to jail for 10 years.
    titmouse wrote:
    Raggaholic wrote:
    Yeah, we just had a thread dealing with something similar to this.

These are laws that are absolutely necessary. Sometimes, due to the way they are written, some dolphin get caught up with the tuna. It's sad, but we gotta keep canning the tuna.

If there's anyone to be angry at, be angry at the Georgia Legislature. The Supreme Court didn't convict the guy. They just rejected his appeal.
    It is better for a hundred guilty people to go free than one innocent person than one innocent person should suffer.

Also, people have more worth than a dolphin.
    Also, judges are able to exercise discretion, nets are not, and that's a fucktarded analogy that doesn't work and isn't analagous.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Jesus fuck, Casket. Go eat a bag of dicks.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ditto. Unfortunately the instant I saw the thread title I thought "black."

White trash 15-yr-old gets wasted drunk and proceeds to suck off 7 older black kids. Wakes up in racist purgatory and tells mom/dad. Mom/dad flip out and decide to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

That's my best guess.

Yar on
  • Options
    WiseguyWiseguy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    How do you not get pessimistic and hopeless after shit like this happens in fuckin' America?

Seriously, this is damn near undebatable. I can pretty much say that anybody who doesn't think this boy doesn't deserve his 10 year sentence is a worthless sack of flesh.

Wiseguy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

If God had meant us to have oral sex He would have made penises fit in mouths.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Wiseguy wrote:
    Seriously, this is damn near undebatable. I can pretty much say that anybody who doesn't think this boy doesn't deserve his 10 year sentence is a worthless sack of flesh.
    Yes, I don't not disagree.

mcc on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Also, judges are able to exercise discretion, nets are not, and that's a fucktarded analogy that doesn't work and isn't analagous.
    Judges aren't always able to exercise discretion, especially in sex-crimes cases. Mandatory minimums frequently tie their hands.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

10 years.

No past criminal records.

Unless you're being sarcastic, which I think you are, you're an idiot.

Wiseguy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

You don't agree? Did I count the negatives right?

edit: Thanks Thanatos. mcc strikes again!

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wiseguy wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

10 years.

No past criminal record just means he was never convicted of anything, y'know, not that he's a perfect angel.

I'm not saying he deserves what he got, only that no priors doesn't mean he hasn't done something.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wiseguy wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    10 years.

Mcc is subtly suggesting you count your negatives. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    10 years.

Mcc is subtly suggesting you count your negatives. :P
    mcc actually messed the negatives up on this one. Do not not disagree = Do disagree.

But I knew what he meant.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Looks like Thanatos got to your wrong statement before I did. I think it's funny that you called my analogy fucktarded, right before your reason for calling it fucktarded shit the bed.

Funny indeed.

The legislature gave this crime a sentencing guideline, thus there is no discretion. The kid (dolphin) got caught in the net (the statute) that was cast out for something else (sex predators).

But, y'know... the analogy doesn't work...

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

10 years.

No past criminal record just means he was never convicted of anything, y'know, not that he's a perfect angel.

I'm not saying he deserves what he got, only that no priors doesn't mean he hasn't done something.

10 years in prison and you can basically kiss the chances of a successful life away. And for what? For being a horny teen? Who happens to be african american and live in a shitty white supremacist neighborhood?

It just doesn't add up. It's like convicting somebody to 5 years in prison for littering.

Wiseguy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wiseguy wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

10 years.

10 years in prison and you can basically kiss the chances of a successful life away. And for what? For being a horny teen? Who happens to be african american and live in a shitty white supremacist neighborhood?

It just doesn't add up. It's like convicting somebody to 5 years in prison for littering.
    Hey, you can't just throw your shit anywhere. Especially if it's nuclear waste, or something.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Wiseguy wrote:
    How do you not get pessimistic and hopeless after shit like this happens in fuckin' America?

You will get pessimistic and hopeless only if you naively believe America is somehow "better" in the first place. For all the noble ideals and values the country is founded and praised on, it is still a country of humans and their shortcomings, after all.

Not saying noble ideals and values are a bad thing, mind you.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

You will get pessimistic and hopeless only if you naively believe America is somehow "better" in the first place. For all the noble ideals and values the country is founded and praised on, it is still a country of humans and their shortcomings, after all.

Not saying noble ideals and values are a bad thing, mind you.

Haha, of course I don't believe America is the land of dreams and gold paved streets. But, at least I'd like to think we're a bit more tolerant around here.

Wiseguy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wiseguy wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    mcc wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

10 years.

Not really - anti-littering laws make sense.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The question in my mind is whether or no the judge and jury had their hands tied. Basically, anyone sane can see that this is an enormous fuck up. But since all they have to prove in court is that they had oral sex(how hard is that, anyway?), the jury may not have been in a position to declare him not guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

So, I guess what I'm getting at is, how much could the judge have done to toss the law, so to speak, when the case was open and wasn't being appealed?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Tarranon wrote:
    The question in my mind is whether or no the judge and jury had their hands tied. Basically, anyone sane can see that this is an enormous fuck up. But since all they have to prove in court is that they had oral sex(how hard is that, anyway?), the jury may not have been in a position to declare him not guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

So, I guess what I'm getting at is, how much could the judge have done to toss the law, so to speak, when the case was open and wasn't being appealed?
    I do imagine not giving someone a 10 year jail sentence, aka fucking their life over, might have been a good start when they have pretty apparently committed no crime.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tarranon wrote:

If the jury weren't retarded, they could have nullified it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    If the jury would have ruled not guilty based on them thinking it was a bad law and the kid shouldn't get a harsh sentence, the state would have probably moved for a judgment as a matter of law or a mistrial due to an incompetent jury.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    If the jury would have ruled not guilty based on them thinking it was a bad law and the kid shouldn't get a harsh sentence, the state would have probably moved for a judgment as a matter of law or a mistrial due to an incompetent jury.
    Only if the prosecutor thought he could do better with the next jury.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Only if the prosecutor thought he could do better with the next jury.
    Which is what they usually think. This case was probably a slam dunk. The prosecutor is a dick for bringing the charges the way he did (if this wasn't a mandatory filing situation), but cases like this are pretty open and shut.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You think this is madness?

This...

IS...

GEORGIAAAAAA!!

georgiaeu9.jpg

I'm so sorry.

KalTorak on