As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2009: Director's Cut

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ate at Philippe's back in 07 they are damn good.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm down to hit Philippe's since I'll probably be one of the early birds there.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just Hit LA (About 4 hours before I left.) Currently in Hotel opposite Union Station, about to go on a SIM card hunt and Pick up ticket.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • bookofnerdsbookofnerds Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love Philippe's. The lamb sandwich with blue cheese is amazing. As a matter of fact, I just had breakfast there a couple of hours ago.

bookofnerds on
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    I'm down to hit Philippe's since I'll probably be one of the early birds there.

I'm debating when to "show up" at LA.. I have a ticket for the first amtrak run between irvine and la, but I'm tempted to catch a earlier metrolink going that direction.

tek on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, let's shoot for 7 then. My day is open.

Sounds great. I can make that.

cheez on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if I should go camp out at the Portland train station all tomorrow and Thursday so that it's like im with you guys?

The_Reflection on
  • Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if I should go camp out at the Portland train station all tomorrow and Thursday so that it's like im with you guys?

If you want - I imagine you could track us easier from the comfort of your home via http://forums.penny-arcade.com/announcement.php?f=26&a=80 , though...

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
    edited September 2009
    Do you want to conference call in to the train?

Arikado on
    edited September 2009
    Haha we should make a WCTT Skype Account! Anyone from the outside world wants to, they can call in and chat with the traingoers - we have limited interwhebz, right?

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haha we should make a WCTT Skype Account! Anyone from the outside world wants to, they can call in and chat with the traingoers - we have limited interwhebz, right?

Not this year, no. :?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Ack, you're right - damnation and hellfire, what are the WOW addicts gonna do now? o_O

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ack, you're right - damnation and hellfire, what are the WOW addicts gonna do now? o_O

They're gonna do their dailies at the Amtrak station then again as soon as they make it to their hotel room...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    fufufuufuufufufuf need to finish packing.

Eugal on
  • PGmightyPGmighty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cuz i'd rather not triple post . . . any changes to the spread sheet should be made now. Tonight i'll be printing it out to take with me on the train.

I'm twice guilty of the triple post. My apologies. Anyway, the beginning of our trip is getting dangerously close! I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and good luck with final preparations.

P.S... I was hoping DSi-ware would provide some multiplayer goodness when it dropped its weekly title on Monday. But, alas, single-player Planet Puzzle League was delivered. Either way, if you're lookin' for DSi-ware, my top multiplayer pick is Art-Style: Base 10. It's an aquired taste, for sure.

PGmighty on
    edited September 2009
    Eugal wrote: »
    fufufuufuufufufuf need to finish packing.

I know! I have no room in my carryon suitcase for my fan, will they let me carry it on separately?

Kwisatz Haderach on
    edited September 2009
    All I can find regarding that:

Guidelines for Carry-On Baggage

Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as purses, briefcases, laptop computers, baby items such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats, and equipment required for a passenger's medical condition such as breathing assistance devices and oxygen tanks.

50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.

Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28x22x14 inches in size. Carry-on baggage is limited to 11 inches on Pacific Surfliner trains.

Visible Tag Required: All carry-on luggage must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger. Passengers may use their own personal identification tags, or may obtain free Amtrak baggage identification tags at station ticket offices, or onboard trains from a member of the train crew.

Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is specifically designed to safely and securely accommodate the storage of the items.

Raiden333 on
    edited September 2009
    I don't have much in terms of multiplayer DS games.

Bringing
    FFCC: Echoes of Time
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    New Super Mario Bros
    Mario Kart DS

Not sure what else I can offer for DS multi. The rest of my games are RPGs. Totally not bringing Puzzle Quest: You Fail Cause the AI Kicks Your Ass.

Arikado on
  • PGmightyPGmighty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @Raiden333 - them guidlines are helpful (I guess I gotta scratch my cooler that looks like a piece o' luggage -- too big).

@Arikado - Advance Wars match? I just got back into it this week in prep for the trip (read: I'm not that great at it).

PGmighty on
    edited September 2009
    I'm horrible at it. I'm like 5 stages from the end.

Arikado on
  • ScootaScoota Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm bringing this for multiplayer-

Advance Wars Dual Strike
    Meteos
    Brain Age 2
    Club House Games
    Picross DS
    Metroid Hunters
    New Super Mario Bros
    Brain Age
    Tetris DS
    Super Mario DS
    Mario Kart DS

So if anyone wants to play that... i'm good to go. Brain Age 1/2 multiplayer is WAY FUN- the drawing one especially. They have each player draw that they believe something looks like (lets say, a flower), and you all vote on which person drew the best representation of it. Lots of laughs in that game.

Also, I'm bringing most/all of my WoW TCG cards. If I brought a raid or two, would anyone be interested? I have all 4 (onyxia/molten core/magtheridon/black temple), and my cards are good enough to beat the first three. My friend and I are defiantly playing at least head to head if anyone wants to join with my cards, but I'm debating if I should bring those raids.

Scoota on
    steam_sig.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Someone got to have Dokapon besides me.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Scoota wrote: »
    Brain Age 1/2 multiplayer is WAY FUN- the drawing one especially. They have each player draw that they believe something looks like (lets say, a flower), and you all vote on which person drew the best representation of it. Lots of laughs in that game.

Oh holy crap, that just reminded me of a game to bring: Telepictionary! It combines the best aspects of Telephone and Pictionary :winky:

Would you like to know more?
    All I can find regarding that:

Guidelines for Carry-On Baggage

Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as purses, briefcases, laptop computers, baby items such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats, and equipment required for a passenger's medical condition such as breathing assistance devices and oxygen tanks.

50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.

Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28x22x14 inches in size. Carry-on baggage is limited to 11 inches on Pacific Surfliner trains.

Visible Tag Required: All carry-on luggage must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger. Passengers may use their own personal identification tags, or may obtain free Amtrak baggage identification tags at station ticket offices, or onboard trains from a member of the train crew.

Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is specifically designed to safely and securely accommodate the storage of the items.

Awesome, thanks - looks like I might be able to squeeze the fan in on a technicality, I mean it's smaller than a stroller, so it should be good, right? Here's a pic:
    21PqkK8dHeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're on Twitter I'd recommend following @paxtrain as I'll be using it to pass on Important Announcements™ during the journey. If you're not on Twitter... well, the easiest option is to register and enable device updates if you're able.

I will still be making announcements out loud, with my voice, like an Amish man, but I'll be using @paxtrain as an efficiency thing in case, oh, I don't know, someone's in the loo or off playing Rock Band or something.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The amish are german though...

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    edited September 2009
    Ok, great news. Board games should be officially covered.

My buddy coming on the train who doesn't post here, Matt... He has a friend who has more board games than God.

From him, we have borrowed, and are packing:

Battlestar Galactica
    A Game of Thrones
    Zombies! + 2 expansions
    Pimpin' (the card game)
    Bang!
    Red Dragon Inn
    Hex Hex

Plus probably one or two more I'm forgetting.

We considered bringing Frag, the Starcraft board game, and/or Twilight Emperium, but those boxes were HUGE.

Oh, and as a reminder, I'm getting on in San Jose, so nobody spends a few hours wandering around trying to find me.

Raiden333 on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Someone got to have Dokapon besides me.

I've got it, but I only played once. It's fun, but it's slow as hell.
    Ok, great news. Board games should be officially covered.

[List full of awesome.]

Sweet, I can leave my copy of BSG then. Totally want in on the first game of that. I'll bring Catan (+seafarers), Agricola, Dominion (+intrigue+promos), Bang, Fluxx (zombie/python), Race for the Galaxy (+Gathering Storm).

SlickShughes on
  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want to play them all.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
    edited September 2009
    Man, I totally forgot what my Magic decks had in them. Totally forgot I picked up a bunch of boosters and multi-colored cards at the Wizards booth last year. This should be fun.

Arikado on
    edited September 2009
    MoreGrease wrote: »
    I want to play them all.

Me too.

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2009
    fuck. I leave tomorrow morning and cant find my ipod. been looking for an hour.

but on the bright side i leave tomorrow morning

Eugal on
    edited September 2009
    Eugal wrote: »
    fuck. I leave tomorrow morning and cant find my ipod. been looking for an hour.

but on the bright side i leave tomorrow morning

Odds are you won't need it. Make sure you have your DS though.

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, as awesome as PAXtrain is, it's great to take 15-30 minutes every so often to just listen to music and watch the landscape go by. The Coast Starlight route is insanely beautiful, especially around sunrise in north CA.

Raiden333 on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Update on what I'm bringing:

Citadels
    From Cape to Cairo
    Frank's Zoo
    Dia De Los Muertos
    (All card games)

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone have Curses? I loved that in '07 but I don't think anyone brought it last year.

Apples to Apples would be cool too.

Raiden333 on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone have Curses?

YOU'RE AFTER ME LUCKY CHARMS!

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited September 2009
    I've got apples. I'll try to shrink the box down some to make it fit.

EDIT: I've got citadels as well.

SlickShughes on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slight snag, one of my wiimotes decided to crap out on me, so I'll only be able to bring one w/ nunchuk and a classic controller :?

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited September 2009
    my hunt for the ipod is done. I had already packed it /facepalm

Eugal on
  • bookofnerdsbookofnerds Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Slight snag, one of my wiimotes decided to crap out on me, so I'll only be able to bring one w/ nunchuk and a classic controller :?

I can bring a wiimote and a classic controller. Is someone bringing a battery charger?

bookofnerds on
This discussion has been closed.