Options

Champions Online - Out Now!

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    It'll probably take me two days to learn how to use the character builder and then come up with something creative and cool for a lasting character.

To be fair, it took me 6 characters to level 10 before I finally settled on a build that worked for me, which was, surprisingly for me, Munitions.

Not sure if I'm going to use Munitions for my main once we get Live, as I really wanted to do an elemental-based tank, but most elemental powers are more offensive in nature. I'd have to dip into the Power Suit tree for at least invincibility if I'm hoping to do the whole "Charge in and let loose with a gazillion PBAoEs".

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    On an unrelated note, the 'ice flight' power steers like a goddamn brick.

I all set to make an ice character, got her up past the tutorial, then the first thing I do (since its like the whole idea behind the character) is choose ice flight.

Then I tried it. D:

I think if I ever decide to go with an ice character is to (ironically) choose fire flight then make the flames blue. I dunno, but I just really don't like that ice flight.

On the other hand, I am really liking rocket jump more than I thought I would. Bounding across the map in leaps and bounds is pretty fun, though it kinda sucks when you go into some cave instance with a really low ceiling. :x

Actually now that I think about it, is there someway to move rocket jump/flight to come from your back (my robot armor character has a jetpack thingy on her back)? I don't think I ever looked to see if that was possible.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ice Slide isn't really a flight power.

It's a unique mode of travel that is like a mixture of superspeed and flight.

The idea behind the power is to travel in arcs, and to use momentum to do turns.

I actually like the way it steers and once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.

Mostly I use it on the ground, like a big surfboard, and it works great. I jump over obstacles as need be.

I don't treat it like flight, so it doesn't bother me that it doesn't operate like flight.

Pony on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dig would be nice if it could dig up vertically and not just stairs and hills. also getting blocked by curbs and foot high walls seems pretty dumb

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Rith AreousRith Areous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there any way to save your costumes from the beta to use in the retail client?

Rith Areous on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    you could try the save button in the costume editor

heard that works

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How will the game transition from OB to Early Start? Will there be some days of downtime? I'm not up to speed on everything.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    How will the game transition from OB to Early Start? Will there be some days of downtime? I'm not up to speed on everything.

I believe the early start is on the 30th and the beta ends tonight, so yeah.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is there any way to save your costumes from the beta to use in the retail client?

yes.

when you are in the character creation screen or tailor there are save/load buttons underneath your character. pressing save creates a jpg in your screenshot folder that looks like a comic book cover with your dude on it. this is, in fact, your character costume data.

Pony on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    dig would be nice if it could dig up vertically and not just stairs and hills. also getting blocked by curbs and foot high walls seems pretty dumb

Since it looks like my initial main will be using tunneling (for character concept purposes, since he's a zoot-suit wearing skeleton and I'm a big RP emo sissy), I'm now glad as fuck that one of the pre-order bonuses is a spare flight power since holy fuck does not having any vertical movement sucks so, so much.

Speaking of unanswered questions, has anyone confirmed that the Gamestop open beta code is also the 3-day headstart code?

Oh, and is there some way to change your in-game display name?

In other news, Munitions is fuckawesome. Now I just need a '30s Tommy gun replacement graphic for Submachinegun Burst and I'll be all set.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The reason I did not take dig.

My wife HATES Ice Flight. She says you can't hover.

I took disk...pretty cool. Can I change the disk, though?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

Since it looks like my initial main will be using tunneling (for character concept purposes, since he's a zoot-suit wearing skeleton and I'm a big RP emo sissy), I'm now glad as fuck that one of the pre-order bonuses is a spare flight power since holy fuck does not having any vertical movement suck so, so much.

Speaking of unanswered questions, has anyone confirmed that the Gamestop open beta code is also the 3-day headstart code?

Oh, and is there some way to change your in-game display name?

In other news, Munitions is fuckawesome. Now I just need a '30s Tommy gun replacement graphic for Submachinegun Burst and I'll be all set.

4 day head start isn't it?

Yes! Munitions IS fuckawesome! Gatlin gun...I have a motherfucking gatlin gun!

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Super Jump (and Rocket Jump) are just too much fun. Though there are downsides.

Like jumping through Westside past a 7 or so story building and having a Martial Artist on the roof hit you with a flying kick at the top of your arc, turning off your travel power and the fall damage protection it provides. Or missing your landing point by a foot in the desert and ending up beneath the same overhang you've landed under the past ten times you've jumped through that area. Or the caves.

But again, just leaping through the city, hearing the rush of air and then that satisfying slam on landing, so much more fun than flight.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    It'll probably take me two days to learn how to use the character builder and then come up with something creative and cool for a lasting character.

To be fair, it took me 6 characters to level 10 before I finally settled on a build that worked for me, which was, surprisingly for me, Munitions.

Not sure if I'm going to use Munitions for my main once we get Live, as I really wanted to do an elemental-based tank, but most elemental powers are more offensive in nature. I'd have to dip into the Power Suit tree for at least invincibility if I'm hoping to do the whole "Charge in and let loose with a gazillion PBAoEs".
    I'm not talking about powers. I'm just talking about apperance hah. It took me a month to finally settle on one in CoH. I got better at making costumes over the years I played that, which is why I think it won't take as long this time around.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As far as builds go, I really need to try and not make glass cannon #923210. Of the 6 or so builds I've been kicking around in my head, their super stats are like dex and ego, dex and int, dex and end or int and ego.

On a completely different note, what exactly are "melee endurance builders"? Do they increase your endurance when attacking?

Also, anyone have an idea what "particle acceleration" does on some of the power armor abilities?

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As far as builds go, I really need to try and not make glass cannon #923210. Of the 6 or so builds I've been kicking around in my head, their super stats are like dex and ego, dex and int, dex and end or int and ego.

On a completely different note, what exactly are "melee endurance builders"? Do they increase your endurance when attacking?

Also, anyone have an idea what "particle acceleration" does on some of the power armor abilities?

Your endurance builder is your energy builder. A melee END builder is just the melee version of your ranged END builder, which is just the one you use to build energy with. It confused me a little at the beginning too.

Also some frameworks have these effects that make your powers more effective. With Electricity it's Negative Ions, which (I believe) give some of your electricity attacks a chance to arc off to other targets. With melee it's momentum, fire clinging flames, etc. I would imagine that particle acceleration is one of these. If you look at power descriptions in the frameworks you should see what the effects are.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Your endurance builder is your energy builder. A melee END builder is just the melee version of your ranged END builder, which is just the one you use to build energy with. It confused me a little at the beginning too.

Ok, thats kinda what I thought. So why is it called an endurance builder when it seems like a better name would be energy builder or even energy generator or something without endurance in the name.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You got me. I guess END is less letters than energy? Maybe it's a CoX thing? I have no clue.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Ok, thats kinda what I thought. So why is it called an endurance builder when it seems like a better name would be energy builder or even energy generator or something without endurance in the name.

Legacy from CoH.

In CoH, your blue bar was called Endurance or END

people are used to referring it as such and it's managed to sneak into the actual game too

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pony wrote: »

Legacy from CoH.

In CoH, your blue bar was called Endurance or END

people are used to referring it as such and it's managed to sneak into the actual game too
    [rant]
    Well, thats unfortunate. Its already kinda confusing for me to wrap my mind around all these terms without having to figure out deceptively named concepts like "endurance builder" which has nothing to do with CO's endurance stat. [/rant]

Anyway, I need to think of whether my power armor character is gonna go more along the lines of iron man where she essentially made her armor and thus her secondary frameworks are going to be more something like gadgeteering or electricity(suit emits electrical pulses). Or something like the suit is an alien technology that also helps her focus her brain power through telekinesis/telepathy. Oh decisions, decisions.

Edit: And I think I'm just gonna break down and buy it through D2D. It seems Steam's preorder has fallen through the cracks.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man unity stuff is hard without any healers or tanks :(

This is why I'm both!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So does anyone know what we have to do to get credit for this event/get all the live perks yet? A fun as knocking down giant robots is, it's starting to get a bit old.

Also, did anyone get a code for the newsletter action figure yet? I've been wondering when they'd come.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    can't get into the login server now

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think the event has properly started yet.

I find it really difficult to keep track of teammates in a battle. There are too many heroes. I have a buff power that I can use on other people and it's difficult to do that when we're spread out and lost.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KassKass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yah, I was just DCed and can't get back in either. Also, it would indeed be nice to know what we needed to do to get credit for the event (as Archonex mentioned, while getting punched in the dick by giant robots is fun... it would be nice to move on from that).

Also, they need to make a target of target option (unless there's already one in there and I just haven't found it yet?).

Kass on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Some things concern me about CO, so I'm gonna hold off on purchasing it until the first 30 or 60 days pass.

First off, it runs terrible. The engine just isn't very optimized. Hopefully they are running a debug build for the beta and some of that will free up at release, but I'm not expecting a miracle on this front. Even on medium settings, the game felt very clunky, and has since early in beta (one of the reasons I didn't test heavily early on, despite having a key...the game was frustratingly clunky in terms of FPS and overall playability). I know when I was talking about this in the PA channel last night, I got the typical "oh, it must be your system" quasi-fanboy response, but it's not my system, which has plenty of horsepower. The engine just isn't very optimized. The biggest issue here is that lowering graphics detail has a huge effect in visual fidelity (it gets worse very quickly), but has a disproportionately small effect on frame rate.

The balance seems way, way off. Some frameworks own really hard from the get go, others lag way behind. This is magnified by the fact that if you follow the mission arcs as given, you end up several levels behind the actual level of the arc. So those frameworks that start strong, have an easier time with this. Those frameworks that start weak, are in for a treat. I know they are supposed to tweak the experience situation so keep you more even with the story arc, but that doesn't change the balance issues. This is one of the things I will be looking most closely at while I observe the initial couple months of the game. Can Cryptic balance a P&P system that was never known for it's balance, and is known to create min/max super characters with certain power sets?

There are some things I do love about the game though. The fact that it's more story driven than CoX is great. There seems to be more to do with my time than "Go to this office building you've been to at least 500 times (ground hog day) and kill some of the same enemies over and over". The early travel power is a great idea and something I'm pretty fond of. The pace of the gameplay is nice, little to no down time, and you feel like a hero, being able to take on large packs of guys at a time (though some frameworks are better than others at this).

Overall I think the game has the potential to be fun, and I'm sure the CoX crowd will love it and latch on to it firmly. I've just been burned by so many "promising" MMO's lately, I'm gonna give this one a month or two to stew and see what it's like then. If it's looking pretty healthy and the developers have some good patches going, I'll probably pick it up.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I can't seem to log in right now either. Guess I will go eat some breakfast.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I got d/ced, and now I can't get back in...

When I do, I gotta see if my TK hero is low enough to retcon her out of Ego. If she is, I might have a tank for us for the first 30 minutes of the beta event. (after that, I got work D:)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but perhaps there are others who fit this description besides me:

I was in Closed Beta and Open Beta as a result. I ordered the Lifetime Subscription. I preordered (from Best Buy), but haven't received my headstart key (apparently they MAILED me the preorder card). I also bought a retail copy, but as Best Buy is also mailing that to me, I won't receive that on time.

If I don't have a headstart key or a retail box, but I've ordered a lifetime subscription and have the client, would I be able to play?

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    you need the retail box and cd-key to play the game once it goes live. I have no idea how headstart is done, but I'd imagine its a code that you would also need

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    I'm probably going to make a riff of Koschei the Immortal (Кощей -- Slavic mythology version, not Hellboy), and I'm not sure if I want to make him Might or Supernatural. Might probably works better, especially with the growth power, but Supernatural has some great "I'm going to hell and bringing you with me" features.

Why not take powers from both? Mostly Might, with key Supernatural powers, such as Regeneration, Iron Cyclone (big AoE chain whip that can be advantaged to drag targets towards you), Bite (if applicable), Devour Essence, Venomous Breath, and suchlike?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    As far as I know the early start code should be the same as your open beta code. There's no way you could obtain the retail box CD key, right, so it must be that code.

Edit: Oh, you don't have the preorder card yet. Yeah I don't know what you can do. Maybe email Cryptic?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I got booted off a few times this morning... I figured it was just caused by the overload of people fighting giant robots. At least I'm not the only one who can't get back on now. :P
    TheScruple wrote: »
    I was in Closed Beta and Open Beta as a result. I ordered the Lifetime Subscription. I preordered (from Best Buy), but haven't received my headstart key (apparently they MAILED me the preorder card). I also bought a retail copy, but as Best Buy is also mailing that to me, I won't receive that on time.

Wait why is Best Buy mailing you this stuff? Did you order it from their website?

Where I live, Best Buy sells game cases which contain a card with the access key printed on it. If you go into the store, that is.

Sounds like you'll get to play eventually, but if they're mailing you that shit, you might miss out on the early start and all.

EDIT: After re-reading, I noticed you were in the Open Beta. I'd think that means you may get into the Early Start, depending on whether Cryptic requires the release key for that. There shouldn't be an 'early start' key that's separate from the main retail key I wouldn't think. Either the early start requires the release key or it doesn't.

As an example, WAR's early start had a grace period, so those of us who pre-ordered in brick and mortar stores were able to go pick up a copy and keep playing. Many who ordered online, however, got screwed.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »

When I do, I gotta see if my TK hero is low enough to retcon her out of Ego. If she is, I might have a tank for us for the first 30 minutes of the beta event. (after that, I got work D:)

As someone who hasn't played at all in the beta....how would you describe the TK abilities? Are you able to throw things around in the environment, force-like knockbacks, and hold abilities? Does Force play entirely different than this set? I"m still confused as to why TK and Force are two different sets.

gaming_librarian on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you need that preorder card/key.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    -When does the beta event kick off?

-is your preorder code the same code that will be used for your early start?

-crafting...wtf?

-when does the lifetime sub offer actually end?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The beta event is supposed to start at 10AM PST. The preorder code from Best Buy or Gamestop is the code for early start as well.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The beta event is supposed to start at 10AM PST. The preorder code from Best Buy or Gamestop is the code for early start as well.

love love...thanks.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Some things concern me about CO, so I'm gonna hold off on purchasing it until the first 30 or 60 days pass.

First off, it runs terrible. The engine just isn't very optimized. Hopefully they are running a debug build for the beta and some of that will free up at release, but I'm not expecting a miracle on this front. Even on medium settings, the game felt very clunky, and has since early in beta (one of the reasons I didn't test heavily early on, despite having a key...the game was frustratingly clunky in terms of FPS and overall playability). I know when I was talking about this in the PA channel last night, I got the typical "oh, it must be your system" quasi-fanboy response, but it's not my system, which has plenty of horsepower. The engine just isn't very optimized. The biggest issue here is that lowering graphics detail has a huge effect in visual fidelity (it gets worse very quickly), but has a disproportionately small effect on frame rate.

The balance seems way, way off. Some frameworks own really hard from the get go, others lag way behind. This is magnified by the fact that if you follow the mission arcs as given, you end up several levels behind the actual level of the arc. So those frameworks that start strong, have an easier time with this. Those frameworks that start weak, are in for a treat. I know they are supposed to tweak the experience situation so keep you more even with the story arc, but that doesn't change the balance issues. This is one of the things I will be looking most closely at while I observe the initial couple months of the game. Can Cryptic balance a P&P system that was never known for it's balance, and is known to create min/max super characters with certain power sets?

There are some things I do love about the game though. The fact that it's more story driven than CoX is great. There seems to be more to do with my time than "Go to this office building you've been to at least 500 times (ground hog day) and kill some of the same enemies over and over". The early travel power is a great idea and something I'm pretty fond of. The pace of the gameplay is nice, little to no down time, and you feel like a hero, being able to take on large packs of guys at a time (though some frameworks are better than others at this).

Overall I think the game has the potential to be fun, and I'm sure the CoX crowd will love it and latch on to it firmly. I've just been burned by so many "promising" MMO's lately, I'm gonna give this one a month or two to stew and see what it's like then. If it's looking pretty healthy and the developers have some good patches going, I'll probably pick it up.

Not sure how you think this game is more story driven. Definitely not correct at all from what I've seen so far. More variety in mission types != more story driven. Also, I don't understand why people "wait" to try out MMO's 30-60 days after release? Who cares if they fixed the problems if everyone has left. If you want to play it at all pick it up play your free month and quit at the end.

I don't think this game is very good but it's fun and I'm going to play it for a few weeks and then drop it. It's self evident that it is not finished in every single category, but Cryptic is obviously out of money and needs to release it now. People will play it for a month then move on, just like they do with every MMO that was released to early.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »

As someone who hasn't played at all in the beta....how would you describe the TK abilities? Are you able to throw things around in the environment, force-like knockbacks, and hold abilities? Does Force play entirely different than this set? I"m still confused as to why TK and Force are two different sets.

The best way to put it would be that Force is Jean Grey/Invisible Woman sans Invisiblity, and TK itself is more Psylocke.

Force is more of a stand back and pummel with knocbacks, almost like a ranged Might in that regard, with some buffs. TK is mostly melee with Psychic Blades, with a couple AoEs and the Telekenisis Power.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.