As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Michael Steele continues to be utterly ineffective.

Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
A radio show host slams Roy Blunt, running for Senate next year, and Steele pretty much agrees with him.

Steele still has not learned how to run the RNC. Rule number 1, which he seems to have gotten now, is not to say controversial shit that pisses off people in your party. Rule number 2 is to defend your candidates when people badmouth them.

Will this have any effect on Steele's job or Blunt's prospects, or should it just be filed under 'stupid shit Michael Steele did' and 'radio show hosts regard anyone to Limbaugh's left as not a true conservative'?

Captain Carrot on

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Guys like Papa Blunt make us sick to our stomach. They aren’t conservatives, and they sure don’t reflect moral absolute the way that we expect the Republican Party to stand up," Jericho said.

Republican party taken over by crazy "moral" wingnuts, News at 11

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit, Steele's still alive?

I figured he was hunted, killed and eaten by the Club For Growth at one of their retreats, and that's why he hasn't been in the news.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rule one of being a Committee chair: Your candidates ought to be more visible than you. You are a strategist not a media darling.

nexuscrawler on
  • TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only actual complaints that aren't personal issues (read: ones that matter), are his cloning stance and tobacco legislation.

So the 'pubs would now rather be morally 100% pure rather than have anything, at all, to do with how public policy is made? More power to them. I mean, people are bitching about what Obama's trying to do, and their best idea is stone adulterers? No wonder the 'pubs are in the shitter.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Well, it's not like the Dems are actually using their majority anyway. The Republicans might as well posture over biblical law and such, it's not like they're going to wind up cut out of the process until they're down to 3 or 4 seats in the senate.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited August 2009
    Pretty much

the GOP has proved that no matter what the votes say The Dems will continue to be scared to death of the retard religious vote forever

nexuscrawler on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only actual complaints that aren't personal issues (read: ones that matter), are his cloning stance and tobacco legislation.

So the 'pubs would now rather be morally 100% pure rather than have anything, at all, to do with how public policy is made? More power to them. I mean, people are bitching about what Obama's trying to do, and their best idea is stone adulterers? No wonder the 'pubs are in the shitter.

Sane people might have looked at the results in the 2006 and 2008 elections and concluded that the party had gone too far out of step with independents and moderates, but not the GOP braintrust

they've concluded that the problem is they haven't gone too far enough

Senjutsu on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A lot of Steele's worst quotes seem to come on radio shows. He's weak when prodded to agree with crazy stuff.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Second, we need to prohibit government from getting between seniors and their doctors. The government-run health-care experiment that Obama and the Democrats propose will give seniors less power to control their own medical decisions and create government boards that would decide what treatments would or would not be funded. Republicans oppose any new government entity overruling a doctor’s decision about how to treat his or her patient.

That's right, the head of the RNC is saying we need to get Government out of Medicare.

moniker on
  • gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Steele is in a tough bind however when comparing the Republican's recent cash haul next to the Democrats, he is succeeding.

Could be worse, the Democrats have an inexperienced community organizer in the WH ruining their own party faster than Jimmy Carter did.

gigEsmalls on
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    Steele is in a tough bind however when comparing the Republican's recent cash haul next to the Democrats, he is succeeding.
    The Republicans typically outraise the Democrats by an order of magnitude or so. Something about being the party of rich people.

OptimusZed on

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Could be worse, the Democrats have an inexperienced community organizer in the WH ruining their own party faster than Jimmy Carter did.

Huh, I thought we were past that talking point. Then again I also thought having a majority favor your administration and slowly passing bills that, while not perfect, will improve the country was good thing. Oh well.

P.S.Stop calling him a community organizer. Its ridiculous.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Huh, I thought we were past that talking point. Then again I also thought having a majority favor your administration and slowly passing bills that, while not perfect, will improve the country was good thing. Oh well.

P.S.Stop calling him a community organizer. Its ridiculous.

Just ignore him.

KalTorak on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    but...he's wrong!

On the internet!

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Stop making things up and stop using the troll talking points from last year.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited August 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Read my post again. Below is a citation for ya too. Ta dah!!

Senate GOP edges out Dems in fundraising

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/20/senate-gop-edges-out-dems-in-fundraising/
    The NRSC reported raising $2.75 million last month, bringing its year-to-date cash haul to $23.5 million. The NRSC also said it has $4.4 million cash on hand and is carrying zero debt.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee raised just over $2 million in the same time period, and has raked in $25.3 million since the beginning of the year. The DSCC has just over $7 million cash on hand and owes $3.3 million in debt.

gigEsmalls on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/20/senate-gop-edges-out-dems-in-fundraising/
    The NRSC reported raising $2.75 million last month, bringing its year-to-date cash haul to $23.5 million. The NRSC also said it has $4.4 million cash on hand and is carrying zero debt.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee raised just over $2 million in the same time period, and has raked in $25.3 million since the beginning of the year. The DSCC has just over $7 million cash on hand and owes $3.3 million in debt.

I'm shocked SHOCKED that the side which has already won is not raising money quite so well as the side which is desperate to regain power.

Now, I'm trying to put together a big "Oxygen is awesome" rally tomorrow. Would you like to join in? I've got 10000 signs which say "We love oxygen just the way it is and want nothing to change". I figure it will be just as easy to get people to rally for something which is already the way they want it right?

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited August 2009
    Didn't the RNC basically make Steele a figurehead anyway?

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2009

You mean it's actually Rush Limbaugh running the Republican party? Or was it it Dick Cheney, Glenn Beck, or Sarah Palin? I forget who the far-left Democrats wants to blame for their failures of the week.

gigEsmalls on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Michael Steele isn't in charge of the NRSC, the Senatorial fund raising is only a portion of fundraising and you're still full of crap.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I guess if you consider "recent" the last month, then yes, you're correct.

Of course, the fact that they've raised more this year (i.e. since Obama took office), and have more cash on hand is totally irrelevant, right?

And just think, the GOP got their asses fucking handed to them by an "inexperienced community organizer." I mean, this wasn't just a win, this was a fucking beat-down. God, how fucking lame must they be?

Thanatos on
    edited August 2009
    No I mean last I heard they were yanking most of his fundraising and leadership powers

and apparently theh dude never even hired a staff he just goes on tv and radio and makes an ass of himself.

nexuscrawler on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You mean it's actually Rush Limbaugh running the Republican party? Or was it it Dick Cheney, Glenn Beck, or Sarah Palin? I forget who the far-left Democrats wants to blame for their failures of the week.

What reality do you live in? Cause it clearly isn't reality.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited August 2009
    If anything, those numbers are extremely anemic. Lost election + healthcare battle + Republican ought to be pulling in a lot more money than that.

Republicans typically outraise the Democrats by substantial margins regardless of season. With so much going on that is obviously energizing their base, they should be worried about barely squeaking out ahead here.

OptimusZed on

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    And just think, the GOP got their asses fucking handed to them by an "inexperienced community organizer." I mean, this wasn't just a win, this was a fucking beat-down. God, how fucking lame must they be?

It turns out inexperienced community organizer beats lightweight boxer after 8 years of AWOL national guard

and then of course handing the RNC over to a seminary student didn't help

Senjutsu on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

What reality do you live in? Cause it clearly isn't reality.
    js2.jpg

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I find it ironic that we have someone accusing the Dems of blaming other people for their own failures.

Hell, a few weeks ago Rush was blaming the Democrats for Sanford's affair.

As far as Steele goes, well... when you nominate someone for cynically political reasons (Steele, Palin) it shouldn't really come as a surprise when they come up somewhat lacking in the talent department.

Duffel on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I find it ironic that we have someone accusing the Dems of blaming other people for their own failures.

Hell, a few weeks ago Rush was blaming the Democrats for Sanford's affair.

As far as Steele goes, well... when you nominate someone for cynically political reasons (Steele, Palin) it shouldn't really come as a surprise when they come up somewhat lacking in the talent department.

Grassley blamed Obama for making him (Grassley) lie. Which was precious.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited August 2009

Further into a figurehead.

National Committees really don't have much of a power base and one of them is always subsumed by the President as 'leader of the party' so as to make them even less of a figurehead than otherwise. All they really seem to do is write up rules for primaries, organize the balloon drop at conventions, and act as a slush fund for candidates and advertising.

moniker on
    edited August 2009
    moniker wrote: »

National Committees really don't have much of a power base and one of them is always subsumed by the President as 'leader of the party' so as to make them even less of a figurehead than otherwise. All they really seem to do is write up rules for primaries, organize the balloon drop at conventions, and act as a slush fund for candidates and advertising.

Well, with a smart chairman, they can build the party at a grassroots level, like Dean did.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2009

Well, with a smart chairman, they can build the party at a grassroots level, like Dean did.

That's just using the slush fund well, rather than using it to buy hookers and blow.

moniker on
    edited August 2009

That's just using the slush fund well, rather than using it to buy hookers and blow.

You're saying hookers and blow aren't a good use of slush funds? But that's why such things were invented!

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2009

That's just using the slush fund well, rather than using it to buy underage male hookers and blow.
    These are Republicans we're talking about.

OptimusZed on

edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

That's just using the slush fund well, rather than using it to buy underage male hookers and blow.

Hey, they've been sleeping with women lately!

enlightenedbum on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Great. Fantastic.

News flash: they don't count dollars on election day. They count votes.

Also, you'll note the Dems have a year-to-date advantage, an advantage in cash on hand, and an advantage in cash on hand after debt.

EDIT: Wait, sorry, miscalculated the after-debt numbers. GOP stands at 4.4, Dems stand at 3.7. My bad there. Still.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited August 2009

Foreign, married ones. They're also not paying for those, so I'm not going to include them under the hooker umbrella.

OptimusZed on

edited August 2009

Foreign, married ones. They're also not paying for those, so I'm not going to include them under the hooker umbrella.

Also their married employees! But still, women! Progress on the hypocrite front!

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

Great. Fantastic.

News flash: they don't count dollars on election day. They count votes.

Also, you'll note the Dems have a year-to-date advantage, an advantage in cash on hand, and an advantage in cash on hand after debt.

Also, the leviathan of incumbency at their backs. Plus 2010 looks better for the Dems in terms of pickup (what with vacant seats) than it does for the GOP.

moniker on
    edited August 2009

Also their married employees! But still, women! Progress on the hypocrite front!
    The "Defenders of the Sanctity of Marriage" are routinely violating the sanctity of marriage.

I don't know if that's progress so much as a new flavor of stupid.

OptimusZed on