As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OSX Snow Leopard: Out Today, Brings the 'snappy'

1789101113»

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    edit: oh, and I'm at F, with about a fifth of my library moved over (who knew my library was so top of the the alphabet heavy.)

Sounds like you're medium- or bottom-heavy, actually. F is the sixth letter of the alphabet, so you've gotten through 6/26 letters, which means that roughly 1/4 of the alphabet has only 1/5 of your songs.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    edit: oh, and I'm at F, with about a fifth of my library moved over (who knew my library was so top of the the alphabet heavy.)

Sounds like you're medium- or bottom-heavy, actually. F is the sixth letter of the alphabet, so you've gotten through 6/26 letters, which means that roughly 1/4 of the alphabet has only 1/5 of your songs.

Sorry, let me clarify, F is the next letter to move over (as artist name letters are a natural starting/stopping point in a giant list of songs.)

Midway through F is 6406 songs out of 19282 moved.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I want to write a shell script or two just to help automate a few things for a console-challenged friend who is just getting his own mbp. There are no specific hangups or unusual curveballs doing this on OS X, right?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want to write a shell script or two just to help automate a few things for a console-challenged friend who is just getting his own mbp. There are no specific hangups or unusual curveballs doing this on OS X, right?

Depends on what you're after. Some ecosystem stuff has been replaced (timed events are through launchd, for instance), but the basics are there. Be careful with versions, though – some things are a little out of date. Just check it over after writing.

Linden on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Linden wrote: »

Depends on what you're after. Some ecosystem stuff has been replaced (timed events are through launchd, for instance), but the basics are there. Be careful with versions, though – some things are a little out of date. Just check it over after writing.

I'll do that, and then I need to run most of the same on my own system anyway, so I'll take care of any fires myself before inflicting them upon him.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2009
    I didn't think I would like the magic mouse, but the way it handles right clicking compared to the mighty mouse is much much better, the scrolling is awesome, AAAAND... Snow leopards' handling of hot corners WRT spaces and Expose make it much better than I expected.

Seriously, even without the magic mouse, turn on the hot corner for expose all windows and for spaces, and see just how easy it is to manage 20-30 open windows. It is cake.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ATTENTION SAFARI USERS: http://www.machangout.com/

This plugin has solved almost all of my issues!

- Add any search engine to the search bar that you feel like.
    - Favicons can display on each tab.
    - BOOKMARK SEPARATORS! If you add a new bookmark named "-", it replaces it with a Firefox-style separator.
    - Specify a location for new tabs to always open in.

There still isn't an exact replicant for the Firefox "awesome bar", but that thing is what makes my Firefox so slow anyway, so I won't miss it that much. I don't even use half the features that this plugin offers, but I can imagine other people getting even more use out of it.

You know, the funny thing is that so much of that was must have features for me in Firefox (speaking as a girl who first installed Firebird 0.7), but the sheer speed of OS X and Safari has made it so I really don't care about that stuff any more. I should probably bring my bookmarks over. I guess.

I keep trying other browsers, but no matter how fast or nice they may be there's always something in Firefox that keeps me using it. Chrome has ridiculous speed (Chrome nightly build for OSX here) and Safari is very nice on OSX but they're just too minimalist and the simple lack of addons always peeves me off.

Supposedly Chrome 4 is going to have proper Firefox like add-ons, which will really be very interesting. Although i'll use one of the Chromium or SRWare Iron builds to avoid all that Google privacy invading crud.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tab Mix Plus keeps me coming back. As well as Cybersearch, DownloadThemAll, DownloadHelper and the ability to rearrange elements in the browser window by use of CSS and Stylish. I hate wasted UI space with buttons I will never use and Chrome and Safari love to waste so much space in their UI. I do like that Chrome hides the status bar when not needed, which is what all browsers should do because come on! When is it useful except to tell you where you are going to go or how much of the page is left to load? Most of the time Firefox says "Done". Yeah, I KNOW it's done. (Statusbar hiding plugins don't do it for me either. I want the real thing.)

I will most likely stick with Firefox until Chrome gets an open plugin system and the aforementioned plugin developers decide to port their stuff. Though I still don't see Chrome making their UI smaller. God, fuck, the elements in Chrome are fucking huge! Why? They don't need to be gigantic!

Speaking of Google and other search engines, why do we still require a plugin to get previews on search results pages? After years of having a plugin that does this for us, wouldn't you think Google and Yahoo would have gotten the point by now? They're indexing the site anyway, why not make a preview? Or just access the same preview hosting site the plugins use? Seems like it's logical, but no one at Google has thought of it yet?

Jasoco on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hurrah, installed it.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Hurrah, installed it.

I feel like that was the extent of my initial reaction to 10.6. With no flashy features added, I felt like it was lacking. Then over the course of a week of use, I realized how polished the OS had become.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hurrah, installed it.

I feel like that was the extent of my initial reaction to 10.6. With no flashy features added, I felt like it was lacking. Then over the course of a week of use, I realized how polished the OS had become.

My feeling too actually. 8-)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Hurrah, installed it.

Well so far the only thing I've noticed at this point is the substantial freeing up of the hard drive but that is a good enough start for me.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Hurrah, installed it.

Well so far the only thing I've noticed at this point is the substantial freeing up of the hard drive but that is a good enough start for me.

The first big thing I noticed was that my mini remained responsive even when using a big Excel file full of pictures. It was like it was working as it was supposed to work or something...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera