Options

Second Life, what is this bullshit?

1246789

Posts

  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WIRED ran an article about SL... it's how I learned about it and no matter how awesome they try to make it sound (I like WIRED mostly because of their ability to do so), you just know it's crawling with furries.

    YOU JUST KNOW.

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JAEF wrote:
    Silmaril wrote:
    Its the symbols that give me power old man.
    Penis me down and I will become more penis than you can possibly imagine.

    That made me "lol".

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate Wired for precisely that reason. From what I remembered they tend to hype things that are actually pretty shitty and should not be encouraged.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ham hammerham hammer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    WIRED ran an article about SL... it's how I learned about it and no matter how awesome they try to make it sound (I like WIRED mostly because of their ability to do so), you just know it's crawling with furries.

    YOU JUST KNOW.


    you know what's scary

    you're completely correct

    ham hammer on
    opprod84178lx5.jpg
    pokemon pearl friend code- 4897-2782-3202
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Druhim wrote:
    I hate Wired for precisely that reason. From what I remembered they tend to hype things that are actually pretty shitty and should not be encouraged.
    It's a double-edged sword, really. Mostly, I like it because it's good writing... I dislike it because of the hype, as you say, but you can't deny that they are just so good at persuasive writing.

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited January 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    I hate Wired for precisely that reason. From what I remembered they tend to hype things that are actually pretty shitty and should not be encouraged.
    It's a double-edged sword, really. Mostly, I like it because it's good writing... I dislike it because of the hype, as you say, but you can't deny that they are just so good at persuasive writing.
    NAMBLA could get themselves a really good propagandist but it wouldn't make them any less disturbing. If anything, it would be even more so.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    their article on the new atheism was actually really good though
    Ooooh I read that one! Did you see the letters that responded to it? Geeeeez some people have way too much time on their hands.

    t Druhim: I'm not questioning the quality of their subject matter in the least. To each their own...but I like Wired because those are some GOOD journalists (who tend to write about stuff that interests me, even if I can agree with you in saying that some of that stuff isn't worth a mention).

    I respect good writing, regardless of subject matter. Wired's got good writers.

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Fair 'nuff.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So much wasted potential.

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    I hate Wired for precisely that reason. From what I remembered they tend to hype things that are actually pretty shitty and should not be encouraged.
    It's a double-edged sword, really. Mostly, I like it because it's good writing... I dislike it because of the hype, as you say, but you can't deny that they are just so good at persuasive writing.

    Everything is a double edged sword.

    Plus, I see no links to thie SA goons 9/11 thing, which I have some morbid curiousity over.

    ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    In other news, a 40-man mob in Onyxia's lair disbanded after much argument in the ranks.
    "It was hell," Baldridge (Tank, Horde) said to our news reporters. "The ***ing healers were doing a suxx0rz job! We kept aggro, and did a goddamn good job of it, but my green bar kept shrinking like a goddamn midget ****!"
    "That's bull****," says Fygun (Priest, Horde). "There's only so much we can do. It was a good party, but the Loot Master was a total nub and didn't give me the purple drop I needed. It would have given me a +35 to shadow magic, and he gave it to some ****ing shaman!"
    Fallout from this disbandment is expected to cause fluctuations in the Tokyo stock exchange, and WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS A FUCKING VIDEO GAME WHY ARE WE REPORTING THIS BULLSHIT AS NEWS

    J. Grant on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:
    Does anyone have the link where the SA goons built a re-enactment of 9/11 that continually loops just to see how much they could cause surrounding property values to plummet?
    This link must be brought to light.

    SithDrummer on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tentacles.jpg

    Yeah, in SL it's all user content. Like this user-created tentacle-rape-monster.
    Oh SO

    scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SL press continues to amuse me.
    Second Life has no goals, unless you count the continuing attempt to avoid the erotic depredations of hideously overendowed anthropomorphic rabbits. It’s an experiential environment, not a game environment.

    http://secondlife.reuters.com/stories/2007/01/12/second-life-sketches-digital-shorelines/

    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    warren ellis is wonderful

    and i'm planning to write a column about SL for next week

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    their article on the new atheism was actually really good though

    How can "the belief that there does not exist a god or gods" possibly have a "new" spin on it?

    Defender on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know how the article approaches it but I've long felt that ahteism is really an odd label because people are labelling me by what I don't believe rather than what I do. It's like referring to everyone strictly as gentiles just because they're not Jewish. Yes, I realize there is such a label but my point is that society does not see non-jews primarily as gentiles and yet someone who doesn't believe in gods is labelled as an atheist as if that person has just been described. In reality there are of course a vast range of different beliefs among atheists. The only thing they share in common is that they don't believe in gods.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    'New Atheism' as a movement, not a new form of atheism.

    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    this struck me for some odd reason while reading this thread...

    If/When human cloning openly occurs does it lead to the implication that christianity's and many other religions' belief in the enternal soul and human spirit is wrong and therefore pretty much prove there is no god in the sense that they believe.

    Like I said for some reason this thread sparked that line of thought in me and I haven't really given much thought to it beyond typing it out.

    rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can see several wrongsumptions in that statement.

    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Druhim wrote:
    I don't know how the article approaches it but I've long felt that ahteism is really an odd label because people are labelling me by what I don't believe rather than what I do. It's like referring to everyone strictly as gentiles just because they're not Jewish. Yes, I realize there is such a label but my point is that society does not see non-jews primarily as gentiles and yet someone who doesn't believe in gods is labelled as an atheist as if that person has just been described. In reality there are of course a vast range of different beliefs among atheists. The only thing they share in common is that they don't believe in gods.

    But atheism isn't a lack of belief. It's not what you "don't believe in." It is that you firmly believe that there does not exist a god or gods. Atheism is itself a belief, just as theism. Therefore, if you don't care or don't think about whether or not there's a god, that's one thing, but if you care enough to believe that there isn't one? That is an active belief on your part.

    Defender on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies explore that idea a bit. Good cyberpunkish books. Dynagrip hates them.

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Insufficient PostageInsufficient Postage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    rockmonkey wrote:
    this struck me for some odd reason while reading this thread...

    If/When human cloning openly occurs does it lead to the implication that christianity's and many other religions' belief in the enternal soul and human spirit is wrong and therefore pretty much prove there is no god in the sense that they believe.

    Like I said for some reason this thread sparked that line of thought in me and I haven't really given much thought to it beyond typing it out.

    No, the religious groups will claim that the cloned individuals are some kind of abomination/mark against God. The thing is, Christian faith cannot admit that it is wrong, or else the basis of the religion (the infallibility of God) is put into question. Close-mindedness is irremovable from the Faith. Then again, people don't always pay attention to the actual Organization that runs the religion.

    Insufficient Postage on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    rockmonkey wrote:
    this struck me for some odd reason while reading this thread...

    If/When human cloning openly occurs does it lead to the implication that christianity's and many other religions' belief in the enternal soul and human spirit is wrong and therefore pretty much prove there is no god in the sense that they believe.

    Like I said for some reason this thread sparked that line of thought in me and I haven't really given much thought to it beyond typing it out.

    No, the religious groups will claim that the cloned individuals are some kind of abomination/mark against God. The thing is, Christian faith cannot admit that it is wrong, or else the basis of the religion (the infallibility of God) is put into question. Close-mindedness is irremovable from the Faith. Then again, people don't always pay attention to the actual Organization that runs the religion.

    Way to make a blanket statement about a belief system that doesn't actually say "don't think" and that has has countless followers for thousands of years.

    Also, I like your heavily-flawed logic where a human theologian can't go "oops, that was wrong" without it implicitly meaning that God was wrong.

    How about a simple "no, cloning does nothing to disprove 'souls' or whatever."

    But hey, you know what, it's cool to be a fuckin' idiot, so keep going with that.

    Defender on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    But atheism isn't a lack of belief. It's not what you "don't believe in."

    There's another wrongsumption right there. Atheism goes from abscence of belief in dieties, to active disbelief, to active stamping out of religions, to being a complete know-it-all-dickbag.

    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What if we are like... IN the matrix?

    Barcardi on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For some reason, 'We're all in a giant simulator'-theory has become more reputable, even after the Matrix films.

    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I went on SL and I was just extremely bored. There isn't really much to do at all, as far as I'm concerned.

    real_pochacco on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    rockmonkey wrote:
    this struck me for some odd reason while reading this thread...

    If/When human cloning openly occurs does it lead to the implication that christianity's and many other religions' belief in the enternal soul and human spirit is wrong and therefore pretty much prove there is no god in the sense that they believe.

    Like I said for some reason this thread sparked that line of thought in me and I haven't really given much thought to it beyond typing it out.

    Does this mean identical twins disprove the soul?

    Because, geneticly, a clone is no different then a itentical twin.

    Really.

    I fail to see the problem here.

    Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    rockmonkey wrote:
    this struck me for some odd reason while reading this thread...

    If/When human cloning openly occurs does it lead to the implication that christianity's and many other religions' belief in the enternal soul and human spirit is wrong and therefore pretty much prove there is no god in the sense that they believe.

    Like I said for some reason this thread sparked that line of thought in me and I haven't really given much thought to it beyond typing it out.

    Does this mean identical twins disprove the soul?

    Because, geneticly, a clone is no different then a itentical twin.

    Really.

    I fail to see the problem here.



    ummmm

    identical twins are not clones, don;t be a retard, they have different fingerprints, retina prints etc, and I'm PREEEEETTTYYY sure they have unique DNA

    Raneados on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    People overthink this cloning shit.

    If you make it right, is a clone a human being, genetically? Biology, one of the sciences, tells us yes.

    Does a human being have a soul? Sacred Doctrine, another of the sciences, tells us yes.

    Ergo, human clones have souls. Christ, it's not that hard.

    Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They come from the same Blastocyst thus they are genetic clones. There may be some sort of variation im not aware of but thats what they taught us in biology.

    Shurakai on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Raneados wrote:
    rockmonkey wrote:
    this struck me for some odd reason while reading this thread...

    If/When human cloning openly occurs does it lead to the implication that christianity's and many other religions' belief in the enternal soul and human spirit is wrong and therefore pretty much prove there is no god in the sense that they believe.

    Like I said for some reason this thread sparked that line of thought in me and I haven't really given much thought to it beyond typing it out.

    Does this mean identical twins disprove the soul?

    Because, geneticly, a clone is no different then a itentical twin.

    Really.

    I fail to see the problem here.



    ummmm

    identical twins are not clones, don;t be a retard, they have different fingerprints, retina prints etc, and I'm PREEEEETTTYYY sure they have unique DNA

    no

    ran no

    Identical twins have identical DNA but differing environmental influences throughout their lives affect which genes are switched on or off. This is called epigenetic modification. A study of 80 pairs of human twins ranging in age from 3 to 74 showed that the youngest twins have relatively few epigenetic differences.

    Fingerprints are different, but that's not because of genetics. On the palmar surface of the hands and feet are raised surfaces called friction ridges. The scientific basis behind friction ridge analysis is the fact that friction ridges are persistent and unique. Friction ridges are formed during fetal development where their unique characteristics emerge due to genetic and epigenetic factors (maternal diet, pH, temperature, movement of the fetus, etc). Even identical twins do not have the same fingerprints. Uniqueness among even identical twins is due to random, or stochastic, effects during fetal development.

    There are many sorts of epigentic and stochastic differences between identical twins, but they are nonetheless exact genetic copies at the time of seperation, which makes their biological difference from clones to be pretty nebulous and minute.

    Pony on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony knows all.

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Pony knows all.

    my dad's a twin. has a twin sister. i grew up knowing all kinds of crazy things about the science related to twins.

    Pony on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited January 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Pony knows all.

    my dad's a twin. has a twin sister. i grew up knowing all kinds of crazy things about the science related to twins.
    If two twins are born strong in the Force, what will determine which is stronger?

    Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Harrier wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Pony knows all.

    my dad's a twin. has a twin sister. i grew up knowing all kinds of crazy things about the science related to twins.
    If two twins are born strong in the Force, what will determine which is stronger?

    The screenwriter

    Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    guess I'm wrong

    :(

    damnit

    Raneados on
Sign In or Register to comment.