As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Second Life, what is this bullshit?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Raneados wrote:
    guess I'm wrong

:(

damnit

it's okay raneados

people often forget that epigenetic differences will likely occur in clones too.

without some kind of artificial interference process, your own clone would have different fingerprints and retinal patterns than you do, and additionally they would like exhibit stochastic differences in neurological processes and psychology, and would be less identical to you as a person than your own twin, because they wouldn't even have an identical birthing or upbringing environment

also see: the boys from brazil.

Pony on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WE ARE SOULESS DEMONS

Shurakai on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    boys what now?

Raneados on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    guess I'm wrong

damnit

it's okay raneados

people often forget that epigenetic differences will likely occur in clones too.

without some kind of artificial interference process, your own clone would have different fingerprints and retinal patterns than you do, and additionally they would like exhibit stochastic differences in neurological processes and psychology, and would be less identical to you as a person than your own twin, because they wouldn't even have an identical birthing or upbringing environment

So both twins will be equally strong in the Force?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I find it hilarious that there is such a thing as "the force" in physics. Highly theoretical physics, of course, but still physics.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey Pony, I was reading this and I thought of you.
    Human Exceptionalism (aka human racism): Not everyone is in favour of human enhancement and the prospect of greater-than-human intelligence. Nor is everyone in favour of extending personhood outside the human sphere. These 'human exceptionalists', a group that includes anti-transhumanist Wesley Smith, argue that being human is what matters, and that to give equal moral currency to non-humans is a violation of human dignity and worth. The opposing viewpoint to this is that of Non-Anthropocentric Personhood -- the notion that nonhumans, be they animals, robots, or uploaded minds, have the potential for personhood status, and by consequence, are worthy of moral consideration.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Harrier wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    guess I'm wrong

damnit

it's okay raneados

So both twins will be equally strong in the Force?

not necessarily

clearly genetics plays into midichlorian count in some way, since the children of parents strong in the force exhibit strength with the force, and apparently the force can either conceive a child spontaneously, or can be used to cause a virgin birth (depending on who you believe)

but is midichlorian count truly genetic, or epigentic? Scientists would agree that in west philadelphia, born and raised, on the playground i spent most of my days. chillin' out, maxing, relaxing all cool...

no

i'm not going to do this

fuck this thread.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Basically what I was building up to was Fuck You Jacen

Fuck You up your ass you Emo Shit

You're the fucking Hot Topic customer of Sith Lords

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Quantum chromodynamics states that the force is only strong when dealing with gluons acting upon quarks, antiquarks, and the gluons themselves.

Silly humans.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    rockmonkey wrote:
    this struck me for some odd reason while reading this thread...

If/When human cloning openly occurs does it lead to the implication that christianity's and many other religions' belief in the enternal soul and human spirit is wrong and therefore pretty much prove there is no god in the sense that they believe.

Like I said for some reason this thread sparked that line of thought in me and I haven't really given much thought to it beyond typing it out.

No, the religious groups will claim that the cloned individuals are some kind of abomination/mark against God. The thing is, Christian faith cannot admit that it is wrong, or else the basis of the religion (the infallibility of God) is put into question. Close-mindedness is irremovable from the Faith. Then again, people don't always pay attention to the actual Organization that runs the religion.

Way to make a blanket statement about a belief system that doesn't actually say "don't think" and that has has countless followers for thousands of years.

Also, I like your heavily-flawed logic where a human theologian can't go "oops, that was wrong" without it implicitly meaning that God was wrong.

How about a simple "no, cloning does nothing to disprove 'souls' or whatever."

But hey, you know what, it's cool to be a fuckin' idiot, so keep going with that.

I don't think I've ever loved you as much as I do right now.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Human Exceptionalism (aka human racism): Not everyone is in favour of human enhancement and the prospect of greater-than-human intelligence. Nor is everyone in favour of extending personhood outside the human sphere. These 'human exceptionalists', a group that includes anti-transhumanist Wesley Smith, argue that being human is what matters, and that to give equal moral currency to non-humans is a violation of human dignity and worth. The opposing viewpoint to this is that of Non-Anthropocentric Personhood -- the notion that nonhumans, be they animals, robots, or uploaded minds, have the potential for personhood status, and by consequence, are worthy of moral consideration.

Yeah, I'm not a total Human Exceptionalist, I'm a Human Supremecist. There's a slight difference, in that while Exceptionalists consider humans alone the only species of true worth, I hold humans up as the ideal to which any other creature which desires to be considered a person should aspire. As a result I could, for example, come to see an artificial intelligence or an alien lifeform or a genetically constructed animal-human hybrid as a "person" if only they exhibited a satisfactory capacity of human qualities and traits. I would still consider them not entirely equal to humans, but I would consider them above say, animals or possessions. It's a status they would have to earn.

Pony on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies explore that idea a bit. Good cyberpunkish books. Dynagrip hates them.
    I do, but I will let you get suckers to waste their money on his shitty crap. Because you are a good forumer despite your shit taste in science fiction.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a total Human Exceptionalist, I'm a Human Supremecist. There's a slight difference, in that while Exceptionalists consider humans alone the only species of true worth, I hold humans up as the ideal to which any other creature which desires to be considered a person should aspire. As a result I could, for example, come to see an artificial intelligence or an alien lifeform or a genetically constructed animal-human hybrid as a "person" if only they exhibited a satisfactory capacity of human qualities and traits. I would still consider them not entirely equal to humans, but I would consider them above say, animals or possessions. It's a status they would have to earn.
    This is almost exactly my position, Pony.

Although if AIs or aliens could truly demonstrate what I took to be sentience I think I'd be ready to put them at an even level with me.

Harrier on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    man I can't believe how many of you guys are full of shit

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007

shoe

shoe

spiderman.

Pony on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i hold with the idea that wolverine lost the majority of his cool when his back story was revealed

thank you people for what you are gradually turning me into

mrpaku on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oh, are we going to move the discussion over here?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    LobsterFuhrerLobsterFuhrer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want life to be like Bioshock where we can use cells from sea slugs to make my penis bigger.

LobsterFuhrer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:

shoe

shoe

spiderman.

wanna know a secret pony

it's a doozy

the hyphen thing

it's a joke, it doesn't bother me

my philosophy doesn't have a specific name, but there are three rules

1. use your brain
    2. be decent to people
    3. don't get caught up in a lot of bullshit and extraneous posturing

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    HolidayComic01.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:

shoe

shoe

spiderman.

wanna know a secret pony

it's a doozy

the hyphen thing

1. use your brain
    2. be decent to people

Fuck rules 1 through 3.

LobsterFuhrer on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want life to be like Bioshock where we can use cells from sea slugs to make my penis bigger.
    Also: Poisonous and covered in purple spots.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only X-Men comic I have ever read is The Uncanny X-Men 306
    I have also read X-Men 2099 3.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    IpseDixit wrote:

the second statement renders the first one untrue.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:

shoe

shoe

spiderman.

wanna know a secret pony

it's a doozy

the hyphen thing

1. use your brain
    2. be decent to people

Fuck rules 1 through 3.

4. Wolverine sucks ass on toast.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    HolidayComic02.jpg

HolidayComic03.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Also: Poisonous and covered in purple spots.

Tell your whore mother to keep what happens in the bedroom IN the bedroom.

LobsterFuhrer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jordyn what you are posting looks heartwarming and horrible

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    Pony wrote:

shoe

shoe

spiderman.

wanna know a secret pony

it's a doozy

the hyphen thing

1. use your brain
    2. be decent to people

Fuck rules 1 through 3.

4. Wolverine sucks ass on toast.

Also, fuck rule 4.

LobsterFuhrer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrpaku wrote:
    jordyn what you are posting looks heartwarming and horrible

HolidayComic04.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doc wrote:
    Does anyone have the link where the SA goons built a re-enactment of 9/11 that continually loops just to see how much they could cause surrounding property values to plummet?
    This link must be brought to light.
    No, seriously folks

this is kind of important

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I love how Perry is totally a misogynist

Oh, 50's gender relations

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    still horrible

mrpaku on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    IpseDixit wrote:

the second statement renders the first one untrue.
    Well I don't know if X-Men 2099 is considered an X-Men comic.
    I don't really pay attention to comics really. I mean I'v got copies of Batman 497 and 500, a bunch of random comics I got as an X-Mas gift years ago, and a couple of random Thor comics (my parents called me Thor while I was still in the womb). But I don't really pay much attention to comics as a whole.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrpaku wrote:
    still horrible

HolidayComic05.jpg

HolidayComic06.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Hahahaha oh my god WHAT THE HELL?

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jordyn i'm posting this so it can be your next sedgeway and i can feel like i am contributing

mrpaku on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    well... batman is a douchebag

Barcardi on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    But atheism isn't a lack of belief. It's not what you "don't believe in."

There's another wrongsumption right there. Atheism goes from abscence of belief in dieties, to active disbelief, to active stamping out of religions, to being a complete know-it-all-dickbag.

Uh, no, actually, that's not a "wrongsumption" unless "wrongsumption" means something along the lines of "correct statement." Atheism means believing that there does not exist a god or gods. Maybe people become atheists by starting with a lack of theist beliefs and then gradually forming strongly-held atheist convictions, but that doesn't change that atheism isn't merely a lack of belief; it is an active disbelief.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, atheism means:
    1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

So when we are talking about atheism in the context of religions, the word can most certainly refer to a specific belief or doctrine.

Defining it as merely "lacking belief" is insufficient in that context, because a person who never thinks about religion and/or doesn't care about the subject will not believe that god exists, but that same person will not believe that god doesn't exist. Putting that person under "atheist" joins him with people who have a belief that he does not share.

Defender on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MOAR

The Otaku Suppository on