As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sen. Ted Kennedy dies at 77

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    Æthelred wrote: »
    Kennedy was a terrorist sympathiser and fund-raiser. Not a great man. I don't know why the news in the UK is leading with this; he was never President, never even a party's presidential candidate.

That is a good question. I have no idea why any country outside the US would be interested in his death.

Because he was a major public figure.

moniker on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That immigration act was a HUGE DEAL.

Can you imagine that your parents lived in a time when we openly gave preferential treatment to white immigrants?

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    GinraiGinrai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Kennedy was a terrorist sympathiser and fund-raiser. Not a great man. I don't know why the news in the UK is leading with this; he was never President, never even a party's presidential candidate.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the IRA? I've actually never heard of a connection between Ted Kennedy and the IRA, but if there was one it really isn't surprising.

Also Ted Kennedy is more important than many former presidents.

According to this article he played a big role in the ceasefire.

I find it sad that the same newspapers and people who feel it's necessary to point out every negative aspect of Ted Kennedy's life also happily avoided even mentioning any of Reagan's racist rhetoric when he passed away.

Also this might be the best political cartoon about Kennedy.

Ginrai on
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    moniker wrote: »

That is a good question. I have no idea why any country outside the US would be interested in his death.

In the US, yes. Is there Senator-like politicians from other countries that we like to hear about in the US? I can't think of any.

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Surprised no one has mentioned his misadventures at Harvard and his time in the US Army.

Oh hey, surprised no one has mentioned a single legislative success of his.

Literally. In this thread. All that happened so far was that PantsB made a single indirect reference to the Civil Rights Act. So before this becomes just a little too much of an underhanded-Who?-Me?-twist-the-knife? exercise, let me list a few of the bills he's particularly known for:
    • Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965
    • Brokering a peace accord in Northern Ireland
    • Title IX
    • Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986
    • COBRA insurance

So that's how they kept regrouping after losing to G.I. Joe.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ginrai wrote: »

Dammit, the political cartoons whenever someone notable dies always make me a bit weepy.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    galenblade wrote: »

Dammit, the political cartoons whenever someone notable dies always make me a bit weepy.

Oh man. That's awesome.

_J_ on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

In the US, yes. Is there Senator-like politicians from other countries that we like to hear about in the US? I can't think of any.

Parliamentary systems tend to be more anonymous, but we frequently hear about chiefs of police dieing in Mexico.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hope Ted told Obama the secret of making the health care bill work at their meeting before he passed away.

JJ on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    galenblade wrote: »

Man, you do not let JFK steer the boat, the last time he was a captain...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    JJ wrote: »
    I hope Ted told Obama the secret of making the health care bill work at their meeting before he passed away.

I hope Obama doesn't fuck this up.

My guess is that Kennedy would not want Obama to NOT use his death to pass health care.

_J_ on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That secret wasn't having a Kennedy that supported it die?

Worked for the Civil Rights Act.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I can. Numerous, in fact. The former President of South Korea who had just passed away got news coverage, for instance. It wasn't the lead, but it wasn't buried either.

moniker on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

My guess is that Kennedy would not want Obama to NOT use his death to pass health care.

Byrd is already on it and moved to rename the thing the Ted Kennedy Memorial Health Care Bill. Which is a stupid, ridiculous, gaaah I hate our system tactic, but it works so whatever.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Senator Edward M. Kennedy was not only one of the greatest senators of our time, but one of the most accomplished Americans ever to serve our democracy. Over the past half-century, nearly every major piece of legislation that has advanced the civil rights, health, and economic well-being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts. With his passing, an important chapter in our American story has come to an end.

As a mark of respect for the memory of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on August 30, 2009. I also direct that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff until sunset on the day of his interment. I further direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same periods at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Byrd is already on it and moved to rename the thing the Ted Kennedy Memorial Health Care Bill. Which is a stupid, ridiculous, gaaah I hate our system tactic, but it works so whatever.

It's how human beings function.

It would be nice if we did not require death to show compassion. But, fuck it, we're terrible creatures.

_J_ on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why? He wanted it passed. It was, to him, the most important thing for the government to do.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Why? He wanted it passed. It was, to him, the most important thing for the government to do.
    While not a true double negative, I don't think the statement you quoted says what you think it says.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's likely because his family has been hugely influential on the world stage for the past six decades, and he was the most senior member of that family.

He will be missed.
    Ginrai wrote:

That made the eyes water a bit.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »

I like the concept a lot but it'd be more powerful if the likenesses were better.

Hachface on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The news in the UK is leading with it because he's widely credited with the current peace accord and bringing the IRA's political wing in while repudiating the IRA's violent outbursts.

The UK had a long relationship with the man, and knighted him at one point.

They're leading with the story because he was far, far more than just a US Senator.

kildy on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are only 100 Senators. That's a relatively small group. The death of a senator who has been in office for decades making the international news doesn't seem so strange to me.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I can. Numerous, in fact. The former President of South Korea who had just passed away got news coverage, for instance. It wasn't the lead, but it wasn't buried either.

He was a President of a country.

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

What's your point? He was a public figure who was notable for his effect on the world. Did you complain when the last surviving British WW1 survivor passed away a few months ago and it was on every news site? The impact a person has had is more important than the country they live in.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ted Kennedy arguably had more political impact over the last 40 years than a good half of our presidents.

He at east had a hand in writing just about every medical and civil rights bill in the last 30 years.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    While not a true double negative, I don't think the statement you quoted says what you think it says.

My guess is that Kenny would have wanted Obama to use his death to pass the health care bill.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

What's your point? He was a public figure who was notable for his effect on the world. Did you complain when the last surviving British WW1 survivor passed away a few months ago and it was on every news site? The impact a person has had is more important than the country they live in.

My point is American politicians are much cooler so they're more recognized all over the world.

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

My guess is that Kenny would have wanted Obama to use his death to pass the health care bill.
    I wouldn't argue with that at all.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It does not seem at all strange to me that American politicians are more newsworthy than politicians from most countries, given the outsize influence American national politics has on an international level. And Ted Kennedy in particular is one of the most important American politicians to ever live. Top 50, at least.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It does not seem at all strange to me that American politicians are more newsworthy than politicians from most countries, given the outsize influence American national politics has on an international level.

That only applies to politicians who have an impact on foreign policy, though.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Ginrai wrote:

Wow. I hate political cartoons, but that one was so sad...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It does not seem at all strange to me that American politicians are more newsworthy than politicians from most countries, given the outsize influence American national politics has on an international level.

Uh huh. That Northern Ireland peace accord I mentioned wasn't exactly conducted between Southie and the Boston North Shore. Those lace curtain Irish motherfuckers, THEY ARE LIKE DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ted Kennedy's death won't change anyone's views on Obama's health bill or on any other issue since going on about the life of a recently deceased politician won't ever make a bill better. His death doesn't make him a better person or a better politician because it doesn't erase the things he did like that incident involving Mary Jo Kopechne in 1969 in which Kennedy didn't notify the authorities right away and was charged for leaving the scene of the accident after causing injury. His death also certainly doesn't make his political stances any better.

While I hated Kennedy's political views and thought he was a bad person, I will say that the Kennedy family has my condolences. I just hope a more honorable person takes his place in the Senate.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There really aren't any significant world powers I can think of that have an equivalent to "Senators." Most of them are parliamentary democracies, lacking strong bicamerality in their legislatures. The next-closest thing in a country like Britain would probably be a cabinet member.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The only people that Ted Kennedy's death needs to effect personally are other Senators. If his support and goodwill turns around even a few of the holdouts, it doesn't matter whether the public wants to rally around him.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

• Northern Ireland Peace Process
    • Ending of the Apartheid Government in South Africa
    • Worked successfully on arms control negotiations with Gorbachev during Reagan years

not to mention the countless foreign policy bills, trips, negotiations the guy went on.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2009
    I really think a large part of America has a very wildly distorted image of the man... he was possibly one of the more "honorable" senators we have had as of late, DESPITE his younger transgressions.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yes, I think I mentioned that when I referred to him as the former President of South Korea.

moniker on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    My company's flag is still at full mast. And I'm in fucking Massachusetts. I hate this company.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My company's flag is still at full mast. And I'm in fucking Massachusetts. I hate this company.
    Would this be more or less surprising if you were in Arizona?

OptimusZed on