As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Der Kolonie

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Social Entropy++
THE COLONY

The Colony is a reality "experimental" TV series currently being broadcast on the Discovery Channel, focusing on 10 survivors after a fictional post-apocalyptic event, set in LA (so really there's no difference!). The survivors all come from various backgrounds, from really important (mechanical engineer) to not-so important (self-defense instructor). They live in a warehouse and have to do everything for themselves - including creating power and a source of clean water. If they're too retarded to do that, they all die. And you get to watch. What more could you want?

Now to copy Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:
Vladimir Beck is a 62-year-old retired oil industry engineer from Zagreb, Croatia who currently resides in Los Angeles, California. Vladimir has been a mechanical engineer since the 1970s and spent many years working as an engineer in oil refineries. He spent a number of years in the military and left Communist Yugoslavia as a young man.

John Cohn is a 50-year-old chief IBM scientist for design automation from Richmond, Vermont. He is an expert in many areas, including fixing, making or hacking electronics, building structures out of natural materials, tying knots, growing edible plants, mechanical fabrication, welding, sculpting and fire building. John is a self proclaimed "mad scientist," and he has performed a "Jolts and Volts" electricity show to more than 50,000 people across the U.S.. In 2006, John and his wife Diane's 14 year old son, Sam, was killed in a traffic accident. Since then, John has dedicated all of his education outreach work to Sam's memory.

George Fallieras is a 34-year-old internal medicine/pediatric/ER doctor from Tampa, Florida who currently resides in Los Angeles, California. After majoring in Marine Biology at University of Florida and considering a career as a marine mammal veterinarian, George received medical training in Tennessee and New Orleans. George returned to New Orleans in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to provide care in makeshift medical units.

Morgan Hooker (*snicker*) is a 23-year-old aerospace engineer from Woodland Hills, California. Morgan designs irrigation, makes a generator, and builds heat insulated shelters using clay, metal, wood and her generator. She is also a sculptor who can make a kiln from clay and dirt, and can make pots, pans, plates, cups, etc. As an aerospace engineer, she focuses mostly on engines and propulsion mechanisms for planes and spacecraft.

Michael Raines is a 47-year-old solar panel installer/fabricator from Kotor, Montenegro who currently resides in Santa Monica, California. He specializes building alternative energy. He is an inventor who fabricates furniture from both wood and metal, customizes cars and bikes, installs solar panels, and makes bows and arrows from scrap metal. His gruff attitude does cause problems with the other colonists, especially Morgan and Leilani.

Joey Sciacca is a 37-year-old building contracting company owner from Los Angeles, California who currently resides in Sherman Oaks, California. He is a Black Belt Tang Soo Do. He also does plumbing, electrical, drywall, framing, concrete and is an artist utilizing pencil, pointillism and pastels. In 1994, while living in New York, in an attempt to make good on some debts, Joey agreed to do a drug run for a friend. He was arrested in Miami boarding a train for New York and ended up serving six years in prison for his crime. Joey now works in construction, where he utilizes his skills as an eco-friendly contractor.

Leilani Smith is a 36-year-old black belt martial arts fighter/instructor who currently resides in Sherman Oaks, California. She was born in Osan City, Korea, began her martial arts career at the age of 28, and now works as a personal trainer/self defense instructor. She is into mental strategic games such as chess and Scrabble, enjoys being physical and getting her hands dirty. She also loves to cook and uses her organizational skills in charity to help homeless and battered women.

John Valencia is a 37-year-old machinist from Covina, California. He is a conservationist and a machinist who can make pipe fitting for irrigation, repair engines and rebuild alternators to hook up to generators for electricity. He also has developed hand crank electrical systems.

Amy West is a 34-year-old marine biologist from Durango, Colorado who currently resides in San Luis Obispo, California. Amy is certified in CPR, diving and advanced rescue. She grew up in the mountains of Durango, CO; then at age 18 she packed her bags and moved to the Caribbean to study marine biology. While in the Virgin Islands in 1995, she experienced Hurricane Marilyn firsthand. She then entered the Peace Corps and served in Gabon, Africa for two and a half years, and then to New Zealand to work on organic farms for an additional three years. Amy eventually relocated to central California to complete a research internship, which led to stints in Alaska, Antarctica & the Arctic Circle.

Allison White is a 29-year-old registered nurse from Oklahoma City, whose natural inclinations allow her to remain calm in extreme, life-threatening situations; thus, she has found herself most at home working in the emergency room. Over the years, Allison's assignments as a traveling nurse have led to the opportunity to both work and explore living in cities such as Manhattan, Miami, Los Angeles, and Honolulu.

The Colony, as its called, goes through various phases to [strike]enjoy watching the survivors suffer[/strike] see how the survivors will act:
Wikipedia wrote:
Phase 1: Sleep Deprivation - Shock and Fatigue - To simulate the stress survivors experience in the aftermath of a disaster, the volunteers are kept awake for thirty hours with almost no food or water.

Phase 2: Looting - Scarcity of Supplies - Mentally drained, the first six volunteers were given fifteen minutes in an abandoned department store to scavenge as many resources as they can carry.

Phase 3: The Marauders - Resource Competition - Ten minutes into scavenging, a gang of looters are sent in to steal the volunteer's supplies.

Phase 4: River Walk - Search for Shelter - Before arriving at the colony, the volunteers haul their 200 pounds of looted supplies eight miles down the Los Angeles River.

Phase 5: Arrival and Survival - Rebuilding Begins

Phase 6: Sustainable Energy - Fuel Shortage - With the battery array running out of power, the colonists need to build a generator and find a plentiful fuel source.

Phase 7: Foraging - Resource Acquisition - With a lack of food, the colonists go out to acquire more food for the colony. They acquire a small supply of canned goods, fresh fruit, and a pair of goats.

Phase 8: Creature Comforts - Recreating Home - With a power source for their tools, the colonists decide to make a shower and other smaller comforts to improve morale.

Phase 9: River Trip - Resource Scarcity - Running out of water and tired of eating canned goods, the colonists head to the river to acquire water, fresh fish, and citrus.

Phase 10: Power On - Outside Contact - Discovering the small television is on and transmitting an emergency signal, the colonists who did not leave the colony to go on the river trip discover that the power has been turned on for a short time.

Phase 11: Colony Attack - Resource Competition - Not paying attention to security, the colonists are surprised by an attack on the warehouse by marauders and thieves, and they lost two days worth of food afterwards. The marauders were given instructions not to physically harm the colonists, but the colonists don't know that.

Phase 12: Security - Safety From Attack - After being surprised by an attack from marauders and thieves, the colonists agree to increase their security on the warehouse.

Phase 13: Traders - Negotiation Skills - A group of gun-toting traders arrive to trade with the colonists for certain goods they have for things that the colony needs.

Phase 14: Solar Power - Fuel Shortage - Not having enough power for their fabrication needs, the team goes out scouting for renewable energy in the form of obtaining solar panels.

Phase 15: New Arrivals - Test of Unity - Two mysterious new colonists, Andre and Elizabeth, make their way into the complex through a locked side door, to test the team's willingness to accept outsiders and their unity against potential threats.

Phase 16: Heath - Illness and Injury - Five weeks of living in unsanitary conditions proves to be a health hazard for the colonists so even minor cuts and bruises needs to be continuously looked after. Also, a lower intake of food has taken it's toll on them physically as well.

Phase 17: Hospital Foraging - Resource Scarcity - Needing medical supplies, as well as looking for food and other salvageable materials, some of the colonists enter an abandoned hospital for resources.

Phase 18: Disappearance - Coping With Loss - To simulate a loss in the group, George was removed from the experiment during the hospital trip.

Phase 19: Communication - Outside Contact - While grieving the loss of George, power from the grid goes on and the television receives an emergency broadcast for a short while. With renewed hope, the colonists focus on communication with the outside world.

Discovery put a few video clips on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=3BDA9C3AEE0D4DA7&search_query=The+Colony

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Phase 20: all remaining survivors raped

the wook on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think DE?AD or Dubh told me about this

possibly both of them

Moriveth on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Phase 11: Colony Attack - Resource Competition - Not paying attention to security, the colonists are surprised by an attack on the warehouse by marauders and thieves, and they lost two days worth of food afterwards. The marauders were given instructions not to physically harm the colonists, but the colonists don't know that."

Holy shit. Did this happen already or?

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's pretty good, but sadly, no zombies

EDIT: yeah, all of the phases in the OP have already happened. they've had to deal with some really shitty stuff

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Youtube clip of harming the reality show participants, where is it?

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Youtube clip of harming the reality show participants, where is it?

they aren't allowed to hurt anyone, just fuck with them/destroy stuff

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is this show at all like the show V? I only like shows that are like V.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    So....like Jericho? :P

Where's Skeet?

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    and for the record, Morgan Hooker (pbffft) is useless and annoying

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it's weird, whenever i see a thread still on its first page, i have the desire to read it and then post in it

am i

a thredophile

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Whoo, I can't wait! :o

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tossrock wrote: »
    it's weird, whenever i see a thread still on its first page, i have the desire to read it and then post in it

am i

a thredophile
    threderast

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A link to someplace I could watch this. That's what more I could want.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I think DE?AD or Dubh told me about this

possibly both of them

Must'a been Dubh, 'cause this is the first I've heard of it.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wasn't me.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, so the people doing this like volunteered, they know whats happening

is this real?

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    A link to someplace I could watch this. That's what more I could want.

Yeah.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

is this real?

Yeah, I want to know how much they were told beforehand, or if it was just HEY SUP WANNA BE ON A REALITY SHOW? SIGN THIS WAIVER. (paxtrainwaiver.jpg)

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

is this real?

this is where things get fuzzy and I don't really know

obviously they volunteered for something, but even if they were aware of the general scenario, they aren't told what they can/cannot do or what other can/cannot do

at least, that's what we're told

edit: a link to some clips in the OP, but aside from network television, I don't know of any places - legal or otherwise - that has any of the episodes.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sounds pretty interesting. I don't think any other network can top VH1 right now as far as reality bombshells go, but I would give this a try.

All that Ryan Jenkins stuff scared the life out of me. In San Diego no less!

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    why would anyone actually watch vh1

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe they like watching 16 year olds party.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why don't you go bitch to Tube about how you don't like it when people watch shows you don't

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bogey wrote: »
    Whoo, I can't wait! :o

Oh wait are you talking about the V remake? I forgot they were doing that.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

who doesn't?

wait...

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

I like to watch 16 year olds party, while naked, hiding in the bushes

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like this show. But the "they have been told not to harm the colonists... BUT THE COLONISTS DON'T KNOW THAT" several times per episode gets old and I don't know how true this is. The colonists have clubs and flamethrowers and there is no way they are actually going to use them on attackers. I can't believe they actually think they are in any danger on a tv show. It kind of kills the realism a bit.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i keep forgetting to watch this and I hear it is goodf

Raneados on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    does hulu or some analog have this

Raneados on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This looks pretty cool

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Since we're on the topic, these are two fascinating articles with reality show contestants whose NDA's have expired

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article412827.ece

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/business/media/02reality.html?_r=3&scp=2&sq=Edward%20Wyatt+Reality&st=cse

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i like the building things

but the "pretend these guys might GETCHA" thing is zzzz

also: after first episode : Joey needs to get killed and michael needs to shut up

Raneados on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since we're on the topic, these are two fascinating articles with reality show contestants whose NDA's have expired

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article412827.ece

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/business/media/02reality.html?_r=3&scp=2&sq=Edward%20Wyatt+Reality&st=cse

well the first article is fucking fascinating. haven't got to the second quite yet

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jessica Cabo, from the 2005 “Hell’s Kitchen,” said even the production crew would not interact with contestants. “The only person I ever felt close to was the sound guy,” she said, “because he was sticking a microphone up my shirt every day.”

Fucking Hell

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    this show is fucking great

i normally hate reality tv shows, but i actually like this one

The Professor, John C., is a bad ass

and the whole "volunteers and actors can't hurt the experiment participants" thing fell apart when the big guy and girl joined the crew and got in a big fight over food

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i only saw the first episode

I expect I will see more tomorrow

Raneados on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it gets a lot better once Mike (the tall handyman guy) stops being a douchebag to everybody

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    That first article is really well written. Nobody who ends up on a reality show is supposed to be that insightful.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it gets a lot better once Mike (the tall handyman guy) stops being a douchebag to everybody

When the hell was that? Everytime I see him he's nothing but a douche.

He's the guy they chose to create conflict, it seems.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is a great show, I keep forgetting to catch it on tv though. Luckily Discovery has it up on their site.

Arrath on