As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount & Blade: New Steam group and server! EaTRC released for Warband!

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    i know i already do that. it's how I took on a 100+ force with my 30 guys. it's just a little too run-froward for me!

As your archery skill goes up, it becomes a lot easier. You don't need a huge amount of leadership, although it helps obviously, think my archer has 3 or 4 points in it. Just use what few you can take on heroes and tough/hard to hit units like heavy cavalry and you should be ok.

Cavalry works as long as you keep moving them around so they don't mill up and block your shots, and will get the enemies running in circles.

Morkath on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, your leadership should be maxed out no matter what your weapon of choice is. It's one of your most vital skills.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if this is a glitch or not, but it concerns the Rune weapon + enchant.

I have the rune weapon, a thing of wine, and a Qualis gem in my inventory. When I go to the Al-Azziz to get my enchant, I tell the drunk guy I have my wine, but nothing happens. Am I missing something here? I've tried talking to the Rune Weapon guy before talking to the drunk guy too, among other various arbitrary changes. One thing to note, I bought the rune weapon a week earlier in the game.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
      edited August 2009
      Scooter wrote: »
      Well, your leadership should be maxed out no matter what your weapon of choice is. It's one of your most vital skills.

i'm just usually not sure which stat to raise first. str/agi or cha.

tyrannus on
    • Options
      SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
      edited August 2009
      Silvermist rangers is where it's at. 45 of them on my 90 man army can take down a 200 man army with 0 losses.

As long as I get a good spot for them, the enemy can't close in at all.

Buttcleft wrote: »
      Your problem is obviously that you are using archery.

when you should be using lances and a high speed/high maneuverability horse.

You can almost solo entire battlefields once you get competent with couched lancing

headshoarch.png

I beg you to reconsider. :)

Satsumomo on
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      jesus how

tyrannus on
    • Options
      jothkijothki Registered User regular
      edited August 2009

Not necessarily. Unless you're dumping all of your points into charisma, eventually the troop size from leadership will vastly outstrip what you get from leadership. The other bonuses are decent, but can be offset by just making more money.

jothki on
    • Options
      ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
      edited August 2009
      I am in love with Ravenstern Rangers.

I deployed 40 of them in a battle with some calvary and infantry, nothing even got near us. there was just a massive wall of death down hill from my archers.

Buttcleft on
    • Options
      GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
      edited August 2009
      Yeah, I don't recall archery being this effective in native. The archers in this game are just nasty.

I had a similar experience as Buttcleft's last night. It was me, my 50 Rangers, and the rest an odd mix of heroes and knights, camped out on a hill, as 1000 frothing demon-worshipers bore down on us. 80 vs. 1000. None of my troops died. And by that I mean, none of my troops were even knocked unconscious. I'm tempted to just replace all my knights with rangers as well. At range they're devastating, but as infantry they are surprisingly effective. My cavalry tend to get bogged down in melee and I don't find them as useful.

So where are people finding the book seller? I finally have some qualis gems and it's time to enchant up my awesome noldor weaponry. I don't think I've even seen him yet.

GoodKingJayIII on
      Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      Yeah, I don't recall archery being this effective in native. The archers in this game are just nasty.

I had a similar experience as Buttcleft's last night. It was me, my 50 Rangers, and the rest an odd mix of heroes and knights, camped out on a hill, as 1000 frothing demon-worshipers bore down on us. 80 vs. 1000. None of my troops died. And by that I mean, none of my troops were even knocked unconscious. I'm tempted to just replace all my knights with rangers as well. At range they're devastating, but as infantry they are surprisingly effective. My cavalry tend to get bogged down in melee and I don't find them as useful.

So where are people finding the book seller? I finally have some qualis gems and it's time to enchant up my awesome noldor weaponry. I don't think I've even seen him yet.

in native the Vaegir high level archers were monsters, Not nearly as powerful as Ravenstern Rangers, but damn close.

Buttcleft on
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      Booksellers are travelers who show up in taverns.

Scooter on
    • Options
      GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
      edited August 2009
      Either I'm blind or just unlucky, because I make a point to visit every tavern in every city. I used to see them all the time in Native. Oh well. I'm sure one will pop up eventually.

GoodKingJayIII on
      Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      also, this mod is a blast. I kinda like doing tournaments for the first like, 2 weeks or so, or fighting guys with just a couple of companions so I get a lot of renown. I tried the archer thing and I guess it's not how I roll, so I just started a new character concentrating on a few things. 4 leadership, 5 looting :D

tyrannus on
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      I noticed that Ramun is tucked away in the upper floor of the tavern in one of the Nord cities. I assume that that guy is impossible to mod out or something.

jothki on
    • Options
      ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
      edited August 2009
      I like the mod, but when you make your own kingdom how do you get other lords to join you? They all seem angry :(

Arasaki on
    • Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      edited August 2009
      Arasaki wrote: »
      I like the mod, but when you make your own kingdom how do you get other lords to join you? They all seem angry :(

Defeat them in battle, capture them, "talk" to them on the party screen, ask if they want to join. You need to have pretty good Rep with them first, I want to say like ~20.

edit: Not sure why they went that route instead of the normal Claimant route, but my guess is it probably would have been too easy if it were like that.

Axen on
      A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
      edited August 2009
      jothki wrote: »

Not necessarily. Unless you're dumping all of your points into charisma, eventually the troop size from leadership will vastly outstrip what you get from leadership. The other bonuses are decent, but can be offset by just making more money.

I've barely touched Leadership (I think it's at 4). You want a bigger army? Just keep fighting more battles and doing more tournaments. The more renown you get, the bigger the army you can have. I'm up to 130 men.

Heir on
      camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
      edited August 2009
      I don't quite understand how to create elite troops. Something-something-order-of-the-something. I know I have to be Ravenstern aligned, but then what?

MayGodHaveMercy on
      XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      Shamelessly stolen from the Taleworlds forum:
      To make a knighthood order you need
      a) A castle or a city
      b) 20k denars
      c) Qualis Gem

Some orders will require an NPC hero like Sir Rayne is needed to create Knights of the Falcon, if i remember correctly. Some major cities already have knighthood orders, so you need a qualis gem and 20k.

To create a knighthood order you need to go to your castle/city and talk to your seneschal (he is stationed in your palace). Then you have to say "I wish to go to the War Room" or something like that, and then you choose "I wish to establish a Knigthood Order".

A-Knights of the Dragon /15 Honor/Faction must be Ravenstern OR must be in Rane/Upgraded from Ravenstern Knights
      -Better Ravenstern Knights

B-Knights of the Lion/10 Honor/Faction must be Sarleon OR must be in Sarleon/Upgraded from Sarleon Knights
      -Better Sarleon Knights

C-Immortals/10 Honor/Faction must be The Empire OR must be in Janos/Upgraded from Legionnaires
      -Better Legionnaires

D-Windriders/10 Honor/Faction must be D'Shar OR must be in Torbah/Upgraded from D'Shar Horsemen
      -Armored Horse Archers

E-Madame Valkyrie/10 Honor/Faction must be Fierdsvain OR must be in Javiksholm/Upgraded from Valkyries
      -Better Valkyries

F-Knights of the Griffin/20 Honor/Must have a Qualis Gem OR Sir Darlion in Party/Upgraded from Pendor Knights
      -Lance & Shield & Sword knights. Regular.

G-Knights of the Falcon/15 Honor/Must have Sir Rayne OR Madame Ursula in Party/Upgraded from Pendor Knights
      -Lance & Shield & Sword knights. Regular.

H-Knights of the Raven Spear/10 Honor/Player must own Poinsbruk and have a qualis gem/Upgraded from Pendor Knights
      -Tough Lance Riders.

J-Rangers of the Clarion Call/10 Honor/Player must own Laria and have a qualis gem/Upgraded from Pendor Knights
      -Heavy armored “Rangers”

K-Knights of the Dawn/25 Honor/Player must own Valonbray and have a qualis gem/Upgraded from Pendor Knights
      -Very tough melee cavalry.

L-Knights of the Ebony Gauntlet/10 Honor/Must have a Qualis Gem/Upgraded from Pendor Foot Knights
      -Assault Infantry with crossbow and warhammers.

M-Knights of the Shadow Legion/10 Honor/Must have a Qualis Gem/Upgraded from Legionnaires
      -Mounted Legionnaries.

N-Silvermist Rangers/10 Honor/Must have a Qualis Gem/Upgraded from Pendor Grey Archers
      -Most like noldor troops,hardcore archery,good melee.

O-Knights of the Unicorn/20 Honor/Must have Sir Timothy in Party/Upgraded from Pendor Knights
      -Weakest Order of all.Only advantage over normal troops is armor rating.

P-The Order of the Radiant Cross /15 Honor/Player must own Ethos/Upgraded from Pendor Knights
      -Pretty much regular knights,most likely with crossbow.

Satsumomo on
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      Oh. I have to have one of those gems. I have yet to see a Qualis Gem. Gotta kill the armies for them, right?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    • Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      edited August 2009
      Oh. I have to have one of those gems. I have yet to see a Qualis Gem. Gotta kill the armies for them, right?

You do not need a Qualis Gem for every Order, just most of the Orders.

Axen on
      A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      the gems are ball-bustingly hard to get though

tyrannus on
    • Options
      edited August 2009
      You also don't need to set up more than one type of knightly order for Pendor Knights, and you can get some of those from companions. Silvermist Rangers are probably worth a gem, though.

jothki on
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited August 2009
      jothki wrote: »
      You also don't need to set up more than one type of knightly order for Pendor Knights, and you can get some of those from companions. Silvermist Rangers are worth a gem.

Limed for truth. A few improvements to them and the enemy can barely get within mêlée range.

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        So I've got 3 lords now in my fledgling nation. I tell them all to follow me so we can take one of the Empire's cities.

Yeah...they all run off to attack some farmers while I'm besieging it. They show up like a week later. Jerks.

Heir on
        camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        DracilDracil Registered User regular
        edited August 2009
        Just get Griffins and Silvermists. Awesome awesome stuff.

Dracil on
        3DS: 2105-8644-6304
        Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
        MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        Heir wrote: »
        So I've got 3 lords now in my fledgling nation. I tell them all to follow me so we can take one of the Empire's cities.

Yeah...they all run off to attack some farmers while I'm besieging it. They show up like a week later. Jerks.

If you have sworn an oath to a King, if you break that oath to start your own kingdom will you keep all land that was awarded you or will it be taken back?

Buttcleft on
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        I think it's taken back, but I don't know. I broke my oath first.

Heir on
        camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
        edited August 2009

If you have sworn an oath to a King, if you break that oath to start your own kingdom will you keep all land that was awarded you or will it be taken back?

It is all taken away from you, along with any units you had stationed in those towns, so be careful

InfestedGnome on
        IGsig.jpg
        AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
      • Options
        edited August 2009

It is all taken away from you, along with any units you had stationed in those towns, so be careful

so much for using my vassalage as the stepping stone to my own kingdom.

Buttcleft on
      • Options
        edited August 2009

so much for using my vassalage as the stepping stone to my own kingdom.

It's a good way to get lords to like you, though. Be a vassal long enough, and you can pretty much immediately take over most of the kingdom as soon as you split off.

What happens to the king of a destroyed faction? Do they just disappear, or do they act like a normal lord?

jothki on
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        Kings disappear, unless you have them in your prison.

Scooter on
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        58 empire legionnaires vs 216 of this unique spawn adventurer guy! didn't end well for me

tyrannus on
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        tyrannus wrote: »
        58 empire legionnaires vs 216 of this unique spawn adventurer guy! didn't end well for me

Yeah, I refuse to even join my lords when they are fighting the armies. I'm just not ready for that yet. I am having a jolly good time raping faces with my 45+ Ravenstern Archers/Rangers/Mounted Rangers/ Wardens. I plant them on a hill and lead the enemy cavalry on a merry chase while my archers pick them off one by one. I wish I could tell the game to classify two of my heroes as archers though, so they'd stay with my archers instead of running around with the big boys.

MayGodHaveMercy on
      • Options
        PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
        edited August 2009
        fuck demonic warriors btw

everything else?

no big deal at all

but demonic warriors?

fuck

PiptheFair on
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        PiptheFair wrote: »
        fuck demonic warriors btw

everything else?

no big deal at all

but demonic warriors?

fuck

My one sadface of the new PoP version is that it doesn't let you recruit "elite" prisoners. In my old game I actually managed to get 2 or 3 in my army and they were godlike. I think one only died because she had to fight off about 40 guys in a siege.

Scooter on
      • Options
        edited August 2009
        I think I'm just gonna roll with companions and get more renown until I can field about 70 something jerks.

tyrannus on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        My 95/100 man army costs like 7,000 denars a week, and goes through food horribly fast, it's hard to keep up.

Satsumomo on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Money saving tip: Don't use mercs. They cost way more than any other troop of their type.

Scooter on
      • Options
        CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
        edited September 2009
        So I tried the demo out on steam and this is pretty awesome. I've gotten the hang of mounted versus infantry combat down but not mounted versus mounted. Probably gonna order this from amazon later this week.

CorporateLogo on
        Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg