As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] The Anthology Edition

• Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My account has still never been flagged either way.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Ettin wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I could get a halo. Apparently I could reinstall TF2 and get one.

I have heard about this, but how does it work? I doubt it does but I wouldn't know.
    Yes I did stop lurking and register to ask a silly question.

basically everyone's account was queried, and if it came up that they had used the idler, they are flagged and their items were revoked... items earned properly (via achievements) were restored after a second query

for those who did NOT get burned this way on the first query, they automatically got a halo... I don't think it's a question of the query turning up a certain answer for them, rather it's just "did we get a hit on them on our first query, if no then give them a halo"... a la process of elimination rather than an affirmed negative

so that means that if you reinstall TF2, you will automatically get a halo because your account was never flagged as having idled

that's how it seems to work logically, anyway

has anyone actually done this? it sounds like the "delete 10 items and blow yourself up" hoax from a few weeks back

I'll try it, I don't have anything to lose but a few hours.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So apparently I'm really terrible at playing an engineer? I was only doing it because nobody else was, honest!

Also I didn't get a halo despite having done a fresh install on Monday.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

<Joke about Roland being old some how causing his account not to be flagged>

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    getting a halo for reinstalling doesn't make any sense

when you reinstall it's not like the logs i am supposing valve uses for the items disappear from their servers

all of the backpack info is on valve's servers so i am perplexed as to how reinstalling your data which doesn't come into this transaction would help

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that's what I was thinking too, unless "reinstalling" means "nuking your stats/achievements" which I still don't think erases your backpack and thus shouldn't matter

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mine too.

tofu on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Like I said, all of that information is stored on Steamworks. Nothing involving the unlocks except what they do is stored locally. So there's no way reinstalling would be enough to get a halo.

Now maybe if you went to Valve's headquarters and reinstalled Steamworks. But then you still probably wouldn't get one, it would just erase every single item from everyone's backpack.

Mars on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mars wrote: »
    Like I said, all of that information is stored on Steamworks. Nothing involving the unlocks except what they do is stored locally. So there's no way reinstalling would be enough to get a halo.

Now maybe if you went to Valve's headquarters and reinstalled Steamworks. But then you still probably wouldn't get one, it would just erase every single item from everyone's backpack.

the shitstorm alone would be worth any criminal charges

edit: hypothetically of course

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Mine too.

me either.

also, if you ever get stuck in spectator just type 'retry' in the console. it'll rejoin you to the server and you wont lose your spot.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unless the server is 25/24, then you will be kicked for slot reservation.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emot-ssh.gif

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ebotastic wrote: »
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Well the arrow moves slow enough to be reflected, and the bullet is hitscan isn't it?

Fires arrow >> Gets shot >> arrow hits

But that's not how the achievement works. :)

Dead Reckoning
    Kill an enemy with an arrow while you're dead

He wasn't even using the huntsman, which complicates things even more.

I get it now! Sorry, I wasn't aware of the achievement or its requirements (20 total minutes of sniper; I have unsteady hands) So I thought it was the simultaneous deaths that were throwing you off.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unless the server is 25/24, then you will be kicked for slot reservation.

If that's the case then the guy taking extra slot should leave for a minute, just like at map change if nobody else drops early.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Mine too.

me either.

Same here.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Narian wrote: »
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Mine too.

me either.

Same here.

Yep.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish they would've done an update at the same time so we'd have two things to bitch about.
    Well unless you call bitching about the halos and bitching about the idlers two things.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh hey, I got my first hat.

It's the Tough Guy Toque, the big brightly coloured hat for the Heavy.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

DAMN YOU TO HELL
    The toque is probably my favorite.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish they would've done an update at the same time so we'd have two things to bitch about.
    Well unless you call bitching about the halos and bitching about the idlers two things.

Can I bitch about being lumped in with the holier-than-thou crowd when I've always made fun of people who idled?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

DAMN YOU TO HELL

If they implement the trading system, I'll swap you for the Ush-whatever it is. The big black furry one.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    See guys. Be more like Goomba. He gets creative in his complaints, and makes the thread more entertaining for it.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    red team is silly

cpsteel0026.jpg

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    there should be an achievement for making a engineers sentry gun kill the engineer who built it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yea so browsing through this new backpack program has brought up some interesting results.
    HERE is the backpack of someone who works at valve, notice anything special about certain weapons? Yes they made the game, they have every right to give themselves super overpowered weapons, whatever.

Ok, now HERE is the backpack of just some random player. Take a look at his kritzkrieg.

For those of you unaware you cannot view the special attributes of an item that is currently equipped on a character. For example, HERE is the backpack of a valve employee that has his special valve weapons equipped. Anyone besides me curious to what these community weapons are and what special attributes they attain?

This is really starting to get out of hand if you ask me, TF2 is an fps. I dont want to level my weapons, I dont want a trading system, I dont want people complaining that their halo is soulbound. This needs to stop, maybe im just ranting but the more and more this game becomes like an mmo the less and less I seem to like it. People are already grinding for hats, I think I might cry if it degrades to the point where people start looking for groups to raid badlands.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sparrow wrote: »
    Yea so browsing through this new backpack program has brought up some interesting results.
    HERE is the backpack of someone who works at valve, notice anything special about certain weapons? Yes they made the game, they have every right to give themselves super overpowered weapons, whatever.

Ok, now HERE is the backpack of just some random player. Take a look at his kritzkrieg.

For those of you unaware you cannot view the special attributes of an item that is currently equipped on a character. For example, HERE is the backpack of a valve employee that has his special valve weapons equipped. Anyone besides me curious to what these community weapons are and what special attributes they attain?

This is really starting to get out of hand if you ask me, TF2 is an fps. I dont want to level my weapons, I dont want a trading system, I dont want people complaining that their halo is soulbound. This needs to stop, maybe im just ranting but the more and more this game becomes like an mmo the less and less I seem to like it. People are already grinding for hats, I think I might cry if it degrades to the point where people start looking for groups to raid badlands.

You missed the discussion. Valve has super secret weapons for themselves. Community members who've contributed in some significant way (in this case, I think all Community map makers got one) get a special weapon whose only extraordinary attribute is that it sparkles.

So no, i don't think you're going to need to worry about levelling your weapons.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You missed the discussion. Valve has super secret weapons for themselves. Community members who've contributed in some significant way (in this case, I think all Community map makers got one) get a special weapon whose only extraordinary attribute is that it sparkles.

So no, i don't think you're going to need to worry about levelling your weapons.

Oh thank god. Sorry for the re-post then, I was browsing through, saw that, and fretted the worst. :lol:

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

DAMN YOU TO HELL

If they implement the trading system, I'll swap you for the Ush-whatever it is. The big black furry one.

funny story: I got the officer's ushanka last night which was also my first hat

actually it's not really that funny but I wanted to let everyone know that I got a hat

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EttinEttin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well at least not everyone with a halo is a jerk about it

letsbefriends.jpg

Ettin on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ettin wrote: »
    Well at least not everyone with a halo is a jerk about it

letsbefriends.jpg

best halo

best halo

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would do dirty dirty things to get that rocket launcher in Robin's backpack.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Like use a third party program and then get it taken away while I get a special heavenly harp weapon because I wouldn't do dirty things.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    Like use a third party program and then get it taken away while I get a special heavenly harp weapon because I wouldn't do dirty things.

I said dirty things, not stupid.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    FightTest wrote: »

I said dirty things, not stupid.

Well, does Valve consider sleeping with the team a third party program?

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So what's the deal with the PAX TF2 tournament? Is it BYOC only?

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man I was getting random crits every time an enemy was remotely near me. Was good times.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ishbu wrote: »

As far as I know, yes.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Ishbu wrote: »

As far as I know, yes.

Rats. Well, I'll be around. Hopefully I'll see some of you there...I didn't bring my computer though because I live in Huntsville, AL.

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    viaduct is a good spy map

dgm890.jpg

tofu on
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ew