As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] 19 twinks, times have changed

BeyondBeyond Nerd SlayerIn the SkyRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
19 Twinks
Ok so what has exactly happend to the BG's? I mean, new experience rewards are great for leveling but us 19's don't want any! You could pay 10 gold... 10 Freaking GOLD to take the experience gain off at your local Battlemaster room (talk to the level 19 guy), but seriously thats overpriced. Personally I think that blizzard did this to get WoW's economy flowing on each realm (twinks usually have a lot of cash...usually). The thing is though, we know have to deal with not having enough players to start up a WSG match (in Stormstrike battlegroup at least) at level 19. All of the "non-twinks" are playing in BG's that give exp only because once you pay 10 to turn experience gain on your 19 twink, it separtes you from the exp BG's to the non-exp BG's (theres not as many players) which is bad for some twinks who were farming honor, honorable kills, and achievements.
This update really through me off for a while, but i'm sure twinking should still be fun.
:winky:

What do you guys think?

Beyond on

• JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Twinking sucks... that's what I think.

But I'm not a PvP'er by any means.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Twink

An attractive, boyish-looking, young gay man. The stereotypical twink is 18-22, slender with little or no body hair, often blonde, dresses in club wear even at 10:00 AM, and is not particularly intelligent. A twink is the gay answer to the blonde bimbo cheerleader.

Thomase1984 on
  • BeyondBeyond Nerd Slayer In the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm a hardcore pvper. Look for Myrm 19 human pally, swifty 19 dranei shaman, and Vitalia 19 Night Elf druid.

Beyond on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seems like they're letting twink PvP die a natural death. If there aren't even enough twinks to start a battleground that just tells you the only reason it lasted as long as it did was at the expense of everyone who wasn't a twink.

Javen on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Twink

An attractive, boyish-looking, young gay man. The stereotypical twink is 18-22, slender with little or no body hair, often blonde, dresses in club wear even at 10:00 AM, and is not particularly intelligent. A twink is the gay answer to the blonde bimbo cheerleader.

First thing that came to mind was blood elf....

anyhow...

I like pvping, but on a bigger level. I made a 19 twink once, and I found it boring spamming the same few buttons. I will stick to lvl 80 pvp.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited August 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Seems like they're letting twink PvP die a natural death. If there aren't even enough twinks to start a battleground that just tells you the only reason it lasted as long as it did was at the expense of everyone who wasn't a twink.

When you put it that way I suppose it will be a much rougher battle now when you do get a Warsong Gultch to pop, due to the fact that most players will have BG experience and skill before hand. Unlike the non-twinked 10-19s.

Beyond on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    If you are a serious twinker, then ten gold is nothing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Beyond wrote: »

When you put it that way I suppose it will be a much rougher battle now when you do get a Warsong Gultch to pop, due to the fact that most players will have BG experience and skill before hand. Unlike the non-twinked 10-19s.

But that's what you twinks always wanted. Right? Not to fight the normal people, just face up against other twinks. And blizzard has finally given you that.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2009
    Indeed Raz, but I don't even have a main on the realm that I have all of my 19 twinks on. Seems silly doesn't it. Especially since the BoA shoulders, weapons, and armor came out.

Beyond on
    edited August 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »

But that's what you twinks always wanted. Right? Not to fight the normal people, just face up against other twinks. And blizzard has finally given you that.

I suppose so. It just that it takes 20min at least for a WSG to pop. Time is of the essence...

Beyond on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah, I've heard quite a few twinks complain how there's just no games available when you turn off the exp gains, or that the queues are ridiculously long.

So much for the "twinks only want to have a fair, honorable fight with other twinks" defense.

reVerse on
    edited August 2009
    Thomase with the irrelevant ololgay comment. Awesome.

Blizzard has stated they don't support twinking. They allow it to occur, but if it dies then it dies. They don't care either way.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait. Comic Sans? Changing the color and size of your fonts?

And 10 gold is too much?

...What the hell is going on here?

Wassermelone on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mining a whole stack of copper ore is hard.

Mgcw on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Mining a whole stack of copper ore is hard.

Something he could be doing while he waits the 20 minutes or so for his BG queue.

Seg on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    19 Twinks
    Ok so what has exactly happend to the BG's? I mean, new experience rewards are great for leveling but us 19's don't want any! You could pay 10 gold... 10 Freaking GOLD to take the experience gain off at your local Battlemaster room (talk to the level 19 guy), but seriously thats overpriced. Personally I think that blizzard did this to get WoW's economy flowing on each realm (twinks usually have a lot of cash...usually). The thing is though, we know have to deal with not having enough players to start up a WSG match (in Stormstrike battlegroup at least) at level 19. All of the "non-twinks" are playing in BG's that give exp only because once you pay 10 to turn experience gain on your 19 twink, it separtes you from the exp BG's to the non-exp BG's (theres not as many players) which is bad for some twinks who were farming honor, honorable kills, and achievements.
    This update really through me off for a while, but i'm sure twinking should still be fun.
    :winky:

What do you guys think?

I think you use too many font changes where a simple bold or italics tag could've worked.

10g isn't shit these days with the game economy, you need to get that perspective set in. People who twink aren't people rolling up brand new on a server, they have an 80 providing funds. And if the 80 isn't on their server, they transferred (for whatever reason).

Twinking is easier to accomplish than you think.

Henroid on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do they have to pay 10g per battle, or is it a one time toggle on/off?

Even if it's per battle, you can make 200-300g a day doing dailies easy. That's 20-30 battles a day. Do you twink that much?

Not anymore, I guess.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, I've heard quite a few twinks complain how there's just no games available when you turn off the exp gains, or that the queues are ridiculously long.

So much for the "twinks only want to have a fair, honorable fight with other twinks" defense.

I'm not saying that twinks don't want that, only that if there isn't enough supply to meet the demand of that particular niche...that sucks?

I'm sure there exist people who loved 40 man instances, too. But those people were far into the minority, so that little slice of the population has to deal with the changes that occur.

Javen on
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One time to turn off, one time to turn on.

10g per BG would be a retarded and cumbersome system.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Considering the amount people have paid in the past for twink gear, the 10 gold emphasis is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

I wouldn't have sweat 10 gold back in Vanilla WoW, let alone WOTLK, where you practically get it for logging on.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited August 2009

Holy crap this is not even worth complaining about then. Go spend two minutes doing a daily on your level 80 guy. If you spend four minutes, you can support two twinks!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Holy crap this is not even worth complaining about then. Go spend two minutes doing a daily on your level 80 guy. If you spend four minutes, you can support two twinks!

Apparently this guy is one of the rare breed that houses his twinks on a server that doesn't contain his lvl 80 character/s.

Seg on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seg wrote: »

Apparently this guy is one of the rare breed that houses his twinks on a server that doesn't contain his lvl 80 character/s.

Wow, that must suck.

Twinking has been expensive since the concept came to be, back in the days of yore.

Doing so nowadays is pretty much just poor planning.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BetaflameBetaflame Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't understand the appeal of twinking beyond being a cyber bully.

Betaflame on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    sometimes people just want to one shot a fker.

what.

what do you want.

leave me alone.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Betaflame wrote: »

Honestly, there is no other reason.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

To be fair, the fact that people are aware that the queues are ridiculously long proves that there are twinks like that.

No one ever said every twink likes to fight other twinks. A bunch of them are just in it for the one-shots. But there were those who did enjoy it, and their enjoyment is a casualty of trying to kill the bad kind of twinking.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

To be fair, the fact that people are aware that the queues are ridiculously long proves that there are twinks like that.

No, it doesn't prove that. They have to turn the exp off or they get booted off the bracket. All it proves is that they want to continue twinking.

reVerse on
    edited August 2009
    Jaded wrote: »

Well to be honest in any PvP situation, every player wants to ideally be more powerful than the others. If you want to call that bullying, then fine; I'll state right here and now that the end goal of PvP is always bullying. I wouldn't normally use that term to describe someone who does their best to get the best gear they can and beat other players, but whatever fits.

And no, I'm not even a fan of twinking, I think it'd be most balanced if it was like TF2 or something where everyone has nearly even footing, but that's not how they made the game.

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2009
    Jaded wrote: »

Well to be honest in any PvP situation, every player wants to ideally be more powerful than the others. If you want to call that bullying, then fine; I'll state right here and now that the end goal of PvP is always bullying. I wouldn't normally use that term to describe someone who does their best to get the best gear they can and beat other players, but whatever fits.

And no, I'm not even a fan of twinking, I think it'd be most balanced if it was like TF2 or something where everyone has nearly even footing, but that's not how they made the game.

At higher levels when there are more options for armor than just buying the best loot on the AH, I would agree. At a level where players actively keep from leveling and pump 100's of gold into armoring up to 1shot newbies. That's being a bully. If there were more people into low level PVP then chances are there wouldn't be such long queue's for the BG.

Betaflame on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

No, it doesn't prove that. They have to turn the exp off or they get booted off the bracket. All it proves is that they want to continue twinking.

They wouldn't know the bracket had long queues if they didn't pay to stop the experience gain, knowing that they would be put in a bracket with everyone else who had turned off that experience gain, re: twinks.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited August 2009
    Players enjoy the various metagame of certain brackets. This can be especially appealing since you have brackets that exclude an entire class now. Are there people who just want to beat up on people? Sure. But there's also a number of people that enjoy it for purely competitive reasons.

Queue times were undoubtedly reduced by non-twinks, and long queue times can lead to a slippery slope of increasingly long queues as more twinks get frustrated and quit.

But Blizzard doesn't support twinking: they just allow it to exist. If it proves unpopular and dies, so be it. It is unfair to expect Blizzard to balance the numerous twink brackets out there on top of endgame PvP.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If the cost is a problem:

* Create Death Knight on the server with the twinks.
    * Blast through levelling to 58.
    * Visit Outland, where money rains from the sky.

All the money's at the high levels, but there's a quick 'n' handy shortcut *to* said high levels.

mattclem on
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've done "twinking" before in the 60-69 bracket, and I definitely didn't do it just to slaughter those who had worse gear. The main benefit was just being able to get gear and then treat it like any other competitive game instead of constantly needing upgrades in order to compete.

I took a few months off, and when I came back I found my lvl 80 pally to be utterly helpless in BGs. People's life pools were double mine. My lvl 69 twinks, however, were still relatively powerful and fun to play because they had reached the summit of gear for their level.

And Rorus nailed another great reason for lower leve twinking - eliminating DKs. God, they make the 50-59 bracket nearly unplayable.

Acheron on
    edited August 2009
    But we're not talking about 60-69 twinks, we're talking about 19 twinks. At 19 you barely have any green equipment. If u want anything really decent you have to rape the AH and that's only an option for people who already have a high level character feeding them gold. But whatever, its moot since 19 twinks are dying a slow, boring death.

Betaflame on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Didn't fiery enchants go for like, fucking 30-40G back in the day? 10G is nothing.

JJ on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A good twink doesn't get any gear from the AH, beyond one or two pieces at 19. Crappy ones do.

And the fact that twinks have been complaining about long queue times doesn't mean they were only into twinking to beat up on scrubs. It means they don't enjoy waiting to fight.

Many of the twinks I run around with (myself included) love the no-xp concept, where only diehard twinkers pay the fee and fight. Unfortunately, there's still the occasional lvl 11 shaman or the lvl 21 priest that pops up :(

slurpeepoop on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, with no exp it's easier than ever to get the shit you need without worry of leveling out of the bracket.

JJ on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that's really nice. You used to really have to plan out your gear runs well in advance. No more hoops to jump through now!

slurpeepoop on
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And the fact that twinks have been complaining about long queue times doesn't mean they were only into twinking to beat up on scrubs. It means they don't enjoy waiting to fight.

I believe people are implying that the long wait times can be attributed to the low number of twinks who realistically were looking to do battle against other twinks.

In other words: Most twinks aren't using that system because they want to still beat up on the easy targets.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
This discussion has been closed.