As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blackest Night: Sinestro will save us all!

• Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Except that probably won't happen. Both GL and the greater DCU will surely spotlight the aftermath of Blackest Night, if Brightest Day solicits are any indication.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just look forward to a nice Guy/Ice scene in GLC #47. And maybe another Ching-Ching scene with Kilowog chillin' on Mogo. And then a big "thank you Patrick Gleason for saving our bacon" on the last page.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will admit that I'd really like to see Green Lantern stop faffing around on Earth as soon as possible, but I can live with it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I will admit that I'd really like to see Green Lantern stop faffing around on Earth as soon as possible, but I can live with it.

The Larfleeze on Earth antics alone will be worth the price of admission.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »

This is a true thing.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I heard that Earth is going to be the new home of the Guardians of the Corps. And by Guardians I mean Atroticus, Larfleeze, Sinestro, Hal, Carol, Indigo-1, and Saint Walker. What's the fall out by the way in concerning the little blue immortal peoples?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rans wrote: »
    off topic from BN but related to Green Lantern....

did anybody pick up the new Wonder Woman? Since it heavily featured some GLC action I was going to pick it up on a whim but my shop was oddly sold out within the first hour and a half they were open. I'm guessing they don't order Wonder Woman too heavily and the other GL people got there before I did. GL is pretty popular at my store.

I picked it up and will read it tonight. I'll post a spoiler tomorrow.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I just look forward to a nice Guy/Ice scene in GLC #47. And maybe another Ching-Ching scene with Kilowog chillin' on Mogo. And then a big "thank you Patrick Gleason for saving our bacon" on the last page.

Care to expound on the Patrick Gleason bit? Did he do art in BN#8?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gleason didn't contribute to the main BN series, he just kept GLC on schedule during a big event where he has to wait on Johns to have his scripts done for Tomasi to follow, and has done about 13 issues in a row.

And in the grander scheme of things, out of the 51 GLC issues out (counting GLC Recharge), he's done like 46 of them. That's as good as we'll get to a monthly artist these days.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ahh I gotcha. And yes, Patrick Gleason is commendable for his work on GLC. Is he staying with the book after Tomasi leaves? Or is he going with Tomasi to Emerald Warriors?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »

This is a true thing.

I'm looking forwards to all of the alien lanterns settling in on Earth, especially after that cover with Atrocitus standing in a subway tunnel and a train coming up behind him.

"Pathetic humans and their pathetic human cities, with these pathetic human tunnels. What are these pathetic human rails doing here?

What is that pathetic human light?"

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ahh I gotcha. And yes, Patrick Gleason is commendable for his work on GLC. Is he staying with the book after Tomasi leaves? Or is he going with Tomasi to Emerald Warriors?

Gleason is leaving GLC after #47, probably to get promoted to another book after taking a break. He is doing half an issue of Brightest Day coming up, maybe he'll be one of the more regular artists on the book since it's bi-weekly.

He should follow Tomasi to Emerald Warriors, because he draws Guy's ring constructs hella good.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The only thing about Tomasi's style that bugs me is his teeth sometimes. Sometimes his big toothy grins look a bit odd. But he's been on GLC for so long that I pretty much associate his style with that of the corps. I really hope whoever follows him does a good job.

Is Ivan Reis going back as the regular artist on GL? If he is, that would free up Mankhe to do GLC.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Reis is doing something else, like a Flash or Aquaman mini series. Mahnke is still the regular GL artist. And Adryan Sayaf is the new GLC artist.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Re: BN8
    The 2 page splash of all the previously dead heroes wearing white lantern suits was pretty cool. I especially like the Superman costume design. I'm a bit sad I didn't get to see him punch something while wearing that costume.

In fact, I'd say overall I'm a bit disappointed that we only got to see them in those costumes for a total of 1 image. I mean, I don't need a whole issue of it or anything, but a 2 or 3 page fight scene with them all in their glowing white uniforms would have been pretty rad.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Interesting Blackest Night 8 thing.
    Deadman is the only revived person shown to be wearing a White Ring. Considering how he was freaking out about "This isnt right" and whatnot... Perhaps this is going to be an upcoming plot point?

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    No, I think they're just going to ignore it. It was an accident.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    well considering that
    No other revived hero ended up actually wearing one, and how his whole THING as a character was being... DEAD, the fact that he is now alive (and was actually the one to explain how to defeat Nekron in the end) has to have some sort of significance.

Perhaps him getting the White Lantern and being a device for reviving and giving people 2nd chances?

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think Keith was being sarcastic

Furu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wonder . . .
    If Deadman's ring is the one corresponding to the White Lantern we see in the crater at the end of the issue.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ok I just put this sucker together a few minutes ago, regarding that character.

whitelantern.th.jpg

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i still want to know the orange lantern oath.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1264909282754.jpg?t=1270104239

Not something I made though, I think I found it here (or somewhere else over the intertubes).

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still think the orange lantern oath should always be changing, basically it being pieces of the other oaths the other corps say or even some stuff that Larfleeze picks up randomly from TV commercials, music etc.

Considering the nature of the orange it seems only fitting it keeps changing as he tries to use "everything" for his oath.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure "Mine" is the oath.

Furu on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Didn't they do that? Everyone else did their oaths and he just said "Mine"? I could swear I saw a scan of that somewhere.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I know they're the main EARTH heroes but why would you deputise them over Lanterns with actual experience who would actually be useful against a deadly force?

Very underwhelmed with the ending of BN, but the hwole thing has kinda seemed like there was little actual plan going into it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I suppose you could say that they don't necessarily have to be as technically proficient as a Lantern would be, as they are 'overseers' or figureheads in a similar fashion to the avatars. Thus, while you wouldn't want Flash to be your Honour Lantern Number 1, he can still play a fine role as a deputy to a Guardian.

In theory, anyway.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Very underwhelmed with the ending of BN, but the hwole thing has kinda seemed like there was little actual plan going into it.

I believe there was a plan, but somewhere around Rage of the Red Lanterns Johns went less for laying out the story and more for "wouldn't it be cool if Hal did ______?" moments with all the other colors of the rainbow.

BN #8 was very anticlimactic, and it didn't help that the first 3-4 issues were stretching the whole earth based zombie thing thin. The anti-monitor thing, that was just a waste.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Just seems silly to me, its a Lantern war of light, surely the representatives of light who in some cases I would think are closer friends to Hal than the JLA would be better icons in the story for bearing the white light. I think ultimately BN will be forgotten as a rather ineffective story arc.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Question about 8.
    Did they explain why everyone turned into a white lantern? It seemed like, ok Sinestro got his ass kicked, then Hal said "Man we sure are great" and everyone turned into a white lantern for no apparent reason? Or did I miss something?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    Question about 8.
    Did they explain why everyone turned into a white lantern? It seemed like, ok Sinestro got his ass kicked, then Hal said "Man we sure are great" and everyone turned into a white lantern for no apparent reason? Or did I miss something?
    It was all the Living Black Lanterns. Hal said that Nekron didn't bring them back; they did it themselves. Then he grabbed the entity and gave the resurrected heroes power.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Virral wrote: »
    Didn't they do that? Everyone else did their oaths and he just said "Mine"? I could swear I saw a scan of that somewhere.

In BN5 after everyone else says their oaths to power up, Larfleeze just goes 'eh?'

Then when Sinestro asks what he's waiting for he says 'I'm hungry.'

So far, it doesn't look like he has one, or he just doesn't bother to say it since he's connected to his battery directly.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He hasn't said his oath yet but Johns has one picked out for him apparently and loves it.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Question about 8.

This problem is everywhere in Blackest Night, and in the Green Lantern stories leading up to it. The incredible leaps Johns makes between point A and point B are ridiculous.
    Is the White Lantern transformation justified? Somewhat; like what Keith said, the "living" Black Lanterns were basically coerced into returning to life, just like Wonder Woman was able to overpower her black ring and become a Star Sapphire. But does that make any sense? Not really.

I basically hammer away at that complaint for much of the review I put on my blog yesterday (if any of you are even remotely interested in that, you can check it out in my sig HUR PLUG), but at the end of the day, it's not hard for me to see why BN was massively successful, or why someone would enjoy it. To me, though, I need some sort of rules to govern a plot; there has to be some limit to what one could reasonably expect to happen (and this limit can be absolutely insane - I love, love, love Final Crisis, for example - it just has to be present), and there has to be some cohesion that makes the story make sense in retrospect.

Blackest Night didn't have that, and as such, I felt like it didn't have tension. I was never worried about any of the characters, probably because the stakes were so absurdly high that the sort of deus ex machina we see in BN#8 (the exact thing that everyone was predicting) was inevitable. The story felt very, very flat to me.

But others might say "who gives a fuck?" Others probably had a lot of fun. It is a very pretty action story. That can be enough.

It just wasn't for me. And I don't necessarily think I'm alone, either. Considering how deep and involving FC was, I think it's somewhat disappointing (if not altogether surprising) that DC is completely ignoring that in favor of centering their entire line on this straightforward, pyrotechnic stuff. I get it, though.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's my issue with Blackest Night.

Every tie-in consisted of this sequence of events: Hey it's my old dead friend! Yeah, it's me! No it's not! Haha, yeah, no it's not! Fight it! I'm fighting it, I'm okay now! No you're not! Haha, no I'm not! PEWPEWPEW!

Fin.

And every main issue of Blackest Night consisted of this sequence of events: What are these things?! Here's what these things are! I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work. I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work. I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work.

Then Boston Brand shows up and tells everyone how to solve everything.

Fin.

I feel like Blackest Night got off to a good start, and I was really into the first issue. But it quickly went off the rails as books were forced to grind their ongoing plots to a halt and repeat the same bullshit for months, with no plot progression to speak of occurring in the main book.

I feel like Blackest Night was much less about the story Johns wanted to tell, and much more about giving readers a string of costume changes designed to titillate and excite the hardcore fan demographic. That kind of thing's fine in small doses, but stretched out over such a long period of time, it's not unlike eating a wheelbarrow filled with candy.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Munch are you saying you don't like candy

Because that sounds like killer robot talk to me. Do you sometimes experience the urge to kill all humans?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Candy's fine in small doses. But Geoff Johns just spent the better part of a year tamping taffy down my throat with a blunt instrument, and I could really go for a salad.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Here's my issue with Blackest Night.

Every tie-in consisted of this sequence of events: Hey it's my old dead friend! Yeah, it's me! No it's not! Haha, yeah, no it's not! Fight it! I'm fighting it, I'm okay now! No you're not! Haha, no I'm not! PEWPEWPEW!

Fin.

And every main issue of Blackest Night consisted of this sequence of events: What are these things?! Here's what these things are! I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work. I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work. I know how to hurt it, follow my lead! That didn't work.

Then Boston Brand shows up and tells everyone how to solve everything.

Fin.

I feel like Blackest Night got off to a good start, and I was really into the first issue. But it quickly went off the rails as books were forced to grind their ongoing plots to a halt and repeat the same bullshit for months, with no plot progression to speak of occurring in the main book.

I feel like Blackest Night was much less about the story Johns wanted to tell, and much more about giving readers a string of costume changes designed to titillate and excite the hardcore fan demographic. That kind of thing's fine in small doses, but stretched out over such a long period of time, it's not unlike eating a wheelbarrow filled with candy.

I completely agree with all of this. I, too, was intrigued by the first issue, but then the whole thing just got out of control.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Question about 8.
    It was all the Living Black Lanterns. Hal said that Nekron didn't bring them back; they did it themselves. Then he grabbed the entity and gave the resurrected heroes power.

This brings up something I don't understand:
    Green Arrow was turned into a BL, yet he never wanted to come back to life, that Hal brought him back (that was one of the main points of Smith's GA run). Going by what Hal said, all those heroes who died basically fought there way back to life. That really doesn't jive with some of them, like GA or Ice or even Bart.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, The Source shows the resurrected heroes and says "They've been resurrected -- for a reason."

I don't want some stupid stories about "Why am I brought back?! WHY ME?!?!"

It should be "Hey J'onn, you're back!" "Yep, guess I am let's punch shit"

Garlic Bread on