As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chronotorious -- New Chrono Trigger fan remix project is out

Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
chronotorious.bmp

I've listened to all of it and I quite like it. There are tracks here and there that are iffy (such as the Tyrano's Theme remix and the Frog's Theme remix), but overall it's a good album. Definitely better than the recent OCRemix FFIV album. :lol:

Anyways, you can buy it here. They also offer samples of most of the tracks too, just in case you're hesitant. For $12, you could do worse.

Zephyr_Fate on

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit. Ailsean did a Frog remix and it's goddamn awesome.

That one track alone is probably worth twelve bucks.

Edit: I see what you mean. It's out of place in an album that otherwise consists mostly of ambient downtempo electronica. But I still think it's rad.

The whole thing is pretty neat.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My favorites are Chronotorious, Castle Rock, Rockin' on Heaven's Door, Cave Girl, BAMF, Watertite, Dream of Black, Longing for the Wind, and Forest Steppin'. The others are pretty meh. Rockin' on Heaven's Door is the best, though. Sooo awesome.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    These guys sound like morons.

1000 CDs and then the digital version is missing 5 tracks? Good job convincing me not to buy it at all.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Uhhh, actually the fact that they are cutting tracks from the digital version means you SHOULD buy the retail version.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So explain to me how they expect to get this on iTunes and AmazonMP3 without Squeenix busting their balls?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hrm. People are buying ROM and chiptunes for their 8 and 16bit glory and rocking them at parties.

And now we have this.

I can't decide which side of the cool fence to be on.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So explain to me how they expect to get this on iTunes and AmazonMP3 without Squeenix busting their balls?

Squeenix is actually somewhat open to fan projects. I have seen people actually get permission for FF fangames before, just told that they can't promote it (ie no buying ads to advertise it, etc)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Uhhh, actually the fact that they are cutting tracks from the digital version means you SHOULD buy the retail version.

Which is retarded if they actually want Amazon/iTunes sales.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Or they could have just released it for free like The Dark Side of Phobos.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    leah2255leah2255 Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Sounds great. Maybe i will have a try.

leah2255 on
    Love is a vine that grown into our hearts. Sometimes i just feel lonely. Here click me!
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This CD is fucking awesome and I will be buying it in the very near future. Mustin, Danimal Cannon, and Ailsean all on the same album? Yes, please, and thank you.

Basticle wrote: »
    Or they could have just released it for free like The Dark Side of Phobos.

I think the difference between this and the free ocremix albums is that the majority of the artists on this album are actually musicians by trade. Since they're professionals, you can expect the quality bar to be set higher on this.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Never heard of them... But I'm listening to their Castlevania: Symphony of the Night album.

Can you say CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK? Because that's what I'm saying right now.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SkribbleSkribble Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Squeenix is actually somewhat open to fan projects

Uhhh... you do realize that Square Enix have issued 2 cease and desist orders to 2 of the most complete Chrono Trigger fan games ever made, right? Chrono Resurrection and the Crimson Echoes ROM hack.

Crimson Echoes alone had over 35 hours of gameplay and was made over a period of 5 years.

You must be thinking of a different Square Enix.

Skribble on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Skribble wrote: »

Uhhh... you do realize that Square Enix have issued 2 cease and desist orders to 2 of the most complete Chrono Trigger fan games ever made, right? Chrono Resurrection and the Crimson Echoes ROM hack.

Crimson Echoes alone had over 35 hours of gameplay and was made over a period of 5 years.

I think he might mean fan music projects. This is by no means the first fan arrangement album to come out, not by a long shot. Video game companies have been very chill about this stuff for the past 10 years.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Of course the best music remix remains the Brink of Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If_nAMXaXmY&feature=PlayList&p=B4C1A64798777AC2&index=0

Awwwwww yeaaaaah

(skip to 1:05 for the awesome in the face)

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They are under OneUp productions, which has licensed their music ever since their first album, "Time & Space - A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda", and their online sales for CHRONOTORIOUS will provide a kickback to Square Enix.

Also, yes, The Brink of Time is the high-bar for Chrono Trigger remixes, I agree.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I think he might mean fan music projects. This is by no means the first fan arrangement album to come out, not by a long shot. Video game companies have been very chill about this stuff for the past 10 years.

Not sure about Mitsuda, but in the case of FF I think it has a lot to do with the fact Uematsu welcomes it, and is rather laid back about his music. And Squeenix isn't going to piss of Uematsu if they can help it.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mitsuda has expressed that his CT soundtrack was 'immature', and I think because of that he welcomes all who try to better it.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009

I'd hate to repeat this but:

Chrono Resurrection was not a complete game by the creator's own admission - it was just a rendering of select scenes inside their engine. There was also the fact that they were using it to sell their engine to developers. After they tried to do this to one dev, they called up Square who put a stop to that shit. They then tried to use the internet for a sob story. They got what was coming to them.

The hack was shut down due to the new DS port and the fact that it was just a blatant work based directly off Square's. All the fan projects that I've seen get the legal okay from Square do have some of the characters but all the graphics are original drawings. No spriterips.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It even has a 2 step remix. <3 This album sounds delightful.

The Zeal remix might be the highlight for me. I love that track so much, I'd idle there on my DS.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Which is retarded if they actually want Amazon/iTunes sales.

And this is my point. If the full thing were on Amazon for $10, I'd buy it.

I don't buy physical CDs for the most part, and I sure as hell don't buy them online, because shipping to HI is stupid expensive.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It even has a 2 step remix. <3 This album sounds delightful.

The Zeal remix might be the highlight for me. I love that track so much, I'd idle there on my DS.

Yeah the Zeal remix is pretty nice.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit! A remix project that actually remixes the songs, instead of playing 9 minutes of techno beats with 10 seconds of the song they're 'remixing' tossed in? Man, a lot of people at OCremix can learn a thing or two from these folks.

Oh, Dream of Black is the best track.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woah, awesome!

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit! A remix project that actually remixes the songs, instead of playing 9 minutes of techno beats with 10 seconds of the song they're 'remixing' tossed in? Man, a lot of people at OCremix can learn a thing or two from these folks.

I love Joshua Morse. Did you ever hear the Ragnarok Online - Hybridism remix album? AMAZING stuff from that guy.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    StuffGuyStuffGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm, the page for this thing talks about a poster included if you buy the cd. Anyone know what the poster is?

StuffGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's an artwork of Crono, Lucca, and Marle in the Kingdom of Zeal. It's alright, even if the character drawings themselves are terrible. Their rendition of Zeal is beautiful.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    It's... all right. Only half of the CD is decent. The rest are crappy, really-out-there jazz arrangements.

Incidentally, the first track you posted - when I ripped it for my iPod, I edited out that first 1:05. It's all just experimental crap with footsteps and other sound effects.

The best (in my opinion) remixes for Chrono Trigger tend to be either the orchestral ones or the rock ones. There were some great ones on the second version of the OST where they had those extra tracks for the PSX release. And, if you were lucky enough, there was that great two-track CD pre-order bonus (I didn't actually pre-order) that came out with the DS release. That one in particular was really awesome.

This is one of my favorite remixes by a Japanese group called Low Tech Son

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

OCRemix is approximately 45% utter shit, 45% not for you, and 10% good-to-awesome.

Also the quality of your average track there is nowhere near as high as on this project. Part of it's the file size limit on OCR heavily restricting what you can do in terms of production quality. Part of it's the difference between hobbyists and professionals (some of whom got their start at OCR, mazedude and Ailsean in particular).

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

OCRemix is approximately 45% utter shit, 45% not for you, and 10% good-to-awesome.

Also the quality of your average track there is nowhere near as high as on this project. Part of it's the file size limit on OCR heavily restricting what you can do in terms of production quality. Part of it's the difference between hobbyists and professionals (some of whom got their start at OCR, mazedude and Ailsean in particular).

I dunno, listening to the samples, this entire CD was pretty unimpressive. About the same ratio as OCR, almost half of it was shit, half of it was not my kind of thing, and 1, maybe 2 tracks were genuinely enjoyable. I don't know why they think this CD is suddenly worth money when their other (mostly better) stuff is free.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

There's a remix album of Radiohead's OK Computer out there somewhere (for free, no less), and the remixes are, well, actually remixed. It almost sounds like legitimately new music altogether.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ferquin wrote: »
    It's... all right. Only half of the CD is decent. The rest are crappy, really-out-there jazz arrangements.

Incidentally, the first track you posted - when I ripped it for my iPod, I edited out that first 1:05. It's all just experimental crap with footsteps and other sound effects.

The best (in my opinion) remixes for Chrono Trigger tend to be either the orchestral ones or the rock ones. There were some great ones on the second version of the OST where they had those extra tracks for the PSX release. And, if you were lucky enough, there was that great two-track CD pre-order bonus (I didn't actually pre-order) that came out with the DS release. That one in particular was really awesome.

Low Tech Son has done some pretty impressive arrangements of videogame music, I agree.

Also, stop listening to just the samples; a lot of this album is awesome. Great remixes.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So - better or worse than Chrono Symphonic?

Because I love me some Chrono Symphonic.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Better, but in a different way -- it's a bit more of a downbeat electronica/hard rock remix of most of the tracks. I just didn't really like Chrono Symphonic.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

This is great.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Oh see I'm a giant raging music snob so I like experimental jazz trash as long as it's good and not just "Let's do some random assed shit and call it experimental"

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. If you like it, then great. In my opinion that first minute sounds like crap, which is why I edited it out when I ripped it to my iPod.

And I am not a music snob. I enjoy a wide range of music from classical to swing to classic rock to 80s pop to whateverthefuck. Certain stuff just sounds better to me than others. Not everyone's tastes are musically the same. (Geez, music nerds are touchy...)
    Also, stop listening to just the samples; a lot of this album is awesome. Great remixes.
    I didn't sample it. I, in fact, own a copy of the CD. I still say only half of it is good. Again, my opinion, just to clarify for some people.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No need to get snippy about it. That's fine.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorry, I'm not aiming this at you. The other guy called me out on this.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I suppose it's entirely a matter of taste. I don't like about five tracks on this album, but the rest is pretty good. The songs Chrono Trigger, Secret of the Forest, and The Brink of Time on the Brink of Time album are undeniably great, though.

Zephyr_Fate on