As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Phalla Signup List

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a mini ready to go as soon as disgaea starts.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    Samurai, am I right in thinking that your game had no mafia, and the red vote didn't kill? Because if so, you probably could have run it as a Forum Game instead of a mini.

Something to bear in mind if/when you get around to running it again, and don't want to be stuck in a queue for minis. :^:

I'm going to do some changes with it so the red vote has more sting. But that's a good idea.

Of course, if he had ran it as a Forum Game instead of a mini, people would not have been as distrustful of the cheaters on their own team. So there's that psychology element to its branding there.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Samurai, am I right in thinking that your game had no mafia, and the red vote didn't kill? Because if so, you probably could have run it as a Forum Game instead of a mini.

Something to bear in mind if/when you get around to running it again, and don't want to be stuck in a queue for minis. :^:

I'm going to do some changes with it so the red vote has more sting. But that's a good idea.

Of course, if he had ran it as a Forum Game instead of a mini, people would not have been as distrustful of the cheaters on their own team. So there's that psychology element to its branding there.

Misleading games are against the rules though too, calling it a Phalla to trick people when it's not really a Mafia type game falls under "no joke games" I figure.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Infidel wrote: »

Misleading games are against the rules though too, calling it a Phalla to trick people when it's not really a Mafia type game falls under "no joke games" I figure.

meh, it was a faction game not a joke persay.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ---Samurai Jack Phalla looking for QA or Mentor--

Hey guys

Sorry for the size, but I realize posts often get lost in the sea of a large thread. Anyway down to the niddy gritty, I'm looking for someone who is familiar with the show Samurai Jack and has at least some hosting under their belt.

Essentially what I'm looking for is someone to chat to about the mechanics I've devised and for them to asses how fair/balanced they are. And if they feel so inclined, offer alternatives if need be.

You wouldn't necessarily have to be an active force while the game is underway. But if you feel like it I wouldn't object.

If anyone feels like helping and know the show, it would be much appreciated :mrgreen:

edit: If you are good with mechanics though and don't mind me filling you in show wise. You're welcome also.

Egos on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Yeah, if you want to call samurai's mini not a phalla, then the my-Hime mini was in dangerously gray territory at the very least.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, if you want to call samurai's mini not a phalla, then the my-Hime mini was in dangerously gray territory at the very least.

I believe that phalla is taken a turn towards games like mine. Look at the last few. Burnage had a HP like system and My-Hime used the red vote as a seer. I think that we are just bored of plain phalla. Stuff like mine are just an elvolution of phalla. It keeps people playing as they feel they are in more control of their fate. Or maybe my insanity is contagious.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm fine with saying that my-Hime could have passed as a not-a-Phalla. If you don't have a daily vote that kills and an informed minority opposing an uninformed majority then you are straying away from what constitutes a "phalla". Looking at the most recent mains, the only one that doesn't quite fit that rule of thumb is Edcrab's, but that was because there were several small 'mafia-ish' factions; there was still an uninformed majority.

Games with fleshed out, unique villager roles have been around for a while; that's just due to hosts trying to prevent villager boredom. What's more likely to entertain someone? Being told that they're "a citizen", or that they're "Bob Bobson, a citizen catapulted into the conflict by a curious conflict constituted by a cosmic cat that killed your childhood chum"? Giving every player something extra to do, or just expecting two posts and a vote? Right.

Stuff like job classes, powers for all, and individual roles don't detract from a game actually being a phalla. Having no votekill and no mafia? Well... That sounds like it could be run as a forum game, really. Which shouldn't be taken as a criticism; it means that you can run it as soon as you'd like and with as many players as you'd like, after all.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, that's all I'm saying. It's the Mafia mechanics that are common that make it Phalla, taking the periphery mechanics from game to game but not the core means that you have a game similar to a previous Phalla but is not itself a Phalla.

And man, I would so run a mini right now but I'm still swamped. I finished my midterms finally yesterday (seven of them total! D:) and right now I think I just have a paper and a presentation to write left before finals... maybe soon.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I considered running My-Hime as a forum game rather than a mini, but as it was kind of toeing the line (the vote wasn't a kill, but it did have something of an uniformed majority vs informed minority going with the alternate win condition), and the mods recently tightening the rules on minis, I didn't want to look like I was trying to find a loophole on the phalla guidelines.

Burnage really hit the nail on the head about making villager roles interesting. Of the games I've played, the ones where I was a special have always been much more fun (I've never been mafia, by one of those bizarre quirks of chance), so in my games I've always focused on making everyone "special", even if it's only a non-gameplay post restriction power :).

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bremen wrote: »
    I considered running My-Hime as a forum game rather than a mini, but as it was kind of toeing the line (the vote wasn't a kill, but it did have something of an uniformed majority vs informed minority going with the alternate win condition), and the mods recently tightening the rules on minis, I didn't want to look like I was trying to find a loophole on the phalla guidelines.

Burnage really hit the nail on the head about making villager roles interesting. Of the games I've played, the ones where I was a special have always been much more fun (I've never been mafia, by one of those bizarre quirks of chance), so in my games I've always focused on making everyone "special", even if it's only a non-gameplay post restriction power :).

You had uninformed majority and informed minority, as you say. You don't need every core mechanic necessarily, but if you have none well...

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is something to be said for a player base who comes in treating the game like a normal Phalla and how the game plays due to their expectations of mechanics that aren't really there.

And what can be said is that it's a lot of fun to watch

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    BandwagonBandwagon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's been about a month since the last time I sent out status update requests, so I've sent out another batch to try and clean up the list. We're currently without a person in 'Ready' status, so if your game is ready to run and you want to do the next game, let me know. If there are any other status changes you want to let me know about, I'll take note of those as well.

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    24 player mini OP coming sometime tomorrow.

phallakart.gif

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some time finally opened up, and I'm finishing up a few details to get a mini-phalla up by the end of the weekend. It'll be to test some mechanics to make sure it'll work in my bigger Phalla.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would like a mentor for my main, I want it to be horribly horribly broken, but not in a bad way.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A Phalla drought you say?

I might accelerate my plans to fix this

May have a main coming soon

Gumpy on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I would like a mentor for my main, I want it to be horribly horribly broken, but not in a bad way.

You rang?

Burnage on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I guess I'll tentatively sign up for a Color Wheel Phalla. I'm aiming for something with fully public mechanics and a fair number conversion mechanics.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BandwagonBandwagon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It appears that nobody is currently ready to host the next main game. It's probably just as well, since Thanksgiving is coming up for all of us here in the States. If your game is ready to run, then you'll probably be next to go, but notify me just to make sure.

Bandwagon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You can add me to the waitlist on the Color Wheel phalla, though I won't be ready to run it for a few weeks. I have most of the rules hashed out though.

Savant on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does any one have a game ready?

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have a Mini I could post but I wouldn't have time to start it until friday.

but I don't know who to ask permission from either.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a Mini I could post but I wouldn't have time to start it until friday.

but I don't know who to ask permission from either.

There is no main, so free for all?

I kinda want to do a Mega Man mini.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If there's a mini spot, first come first served right now.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I suggest holding off til at least Friday though.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mega Man sign up open - Game wont start till Friday.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Telephone mini taking the second slot

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I've pretty much finished up fleshing out the rules for the color wheel phalla, but I'm not going to be ready to run this for at least a week or so. I've done a bit of unorthodox stuff (a fair number of conversion and color based mechanics, the majority of kills are done through different vote counts), so if anyone has any suggestions on if I should change or rebalance things the rules are here. It's going to be a full public mechanics game so knowing everything ahead of time won't matter.

Savant on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've hit a roadblock as far as my Earthbound phalla, so I'm just going to shelve it for a while and come back to it in a week or two after finals end with renewed PSI points (provided I can find a few of those damned butterflies).

However, the Megaman mini has given me one heck of an idea for another major. So I'm going to work on that and hopefully I'll have a good folder full of games to run when I finally get a computer of my very own.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    TrueNeverbornTrueNeverborn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ready and able to Run "Shadow Phallas: Return of the Wagon" Based off the Shadow Hearts series

TrueNeverborn on
    So if you love games and I love games... Why are we not playing... **sees the forum** OOOOHHHH Yeh!
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If a main isn't up by monday I can get one up I think

Got a weekend with a lot of travelling to sort it out on

Gumpy on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, hopefully TrueNeverborn is able to put his up by the weekend. He says he's ready, he's played a few games over the years, so I think things will be fine.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Proto Man's Revenge mini sign up open
    A sequel to the Mega Man mini.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm considering running a "Bourne Phallacy" mini, although likely wouldn't be able to do so until after the new years. I will probably need the help of someone more experienced to evaluate it for balance before it starts or maybe to co-host, but right now I'm struggling with how to keep vanillagers occupied beyond the basic vote. Any general suggestions for dealing with this issue? At the moment I have a variety of roles at work but not enough for all 30 players.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so uh

what's the protocol for making a game that is not phalla

I'm inventing a game and although it won't be ready to got for a while, I'm just wondering how I go about getting that approved

I PMed Echo but he never got back to me and Thanatos hates my guts

so phalla thread

who wants to help me with my not-phalla-related question

Raneados on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When I wanted to start a BSG game, I just PMd Thanatos and he said go for it.

So uhh, PM Than? :P

Hippie on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    than hates my guuuuutssssss

Raneados on
This discussion has been closed.