As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Midi to MP3/Wav

Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
Looking for recomendations on a good Midi to MP3/Wav converter for Vista 64. (Mac OSX is an option, but I would prefer Vista since my PC has more memory) Naturally I don't mind paying for said software, as long as it is worth the money. Thanks again everybody.

Oh, and it is for converting Midi game music files to an extension I can use on my I-Pod.

Steam: kaylesolo1
3DS: 1521-4165-5907
PS3: KayleSolo
Live: Kayle Solo
WiiU: KayleSolo
Capt Howdy on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://users.lmi.net/bblackie/music/winamp/midi2wav.html

All of that looks accurate based on my last use of Winamp 5 years ago.

MKR on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The quality of the resulting MP3 depends greatly on the synth used by the conversion program.

For this reason, my suggestion is opening the MIDIs in GarageBand on the Mac, picking appropriate instruments, and saving to whatever format that way.

Or if that's too much work, find a playback program on either platform that makes things sound the way you like and we can help you export the audio from there, even if the program doesn't have any export options.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I remember doing similar things with winamp a long time ago, I think.

VLC might work, as well.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, I have winamp. I'll see if that works. I tried garage band, but couldn't figure it out. (Mac newb) And the music is just game music, like Super Mario Bros and Zelda from the old 8 bit days.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MID to WAV is always extremely problematic because the quality depends so much on the synth used and most straight conversion programs have crap synths.

Probably the ideal software for you would be Native Instruments Bandstand. Native instruments makes top quality product and Bandstand is their general midi-compatible sample library. In standalone mode it will do exactly what you want as well, that is, load MIDI files and render them as waves. The quality will be much higher than winamp or garageband, the downside is the price.

Edit: Here's the site if you want audio demos - http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/bandstand/

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Hmm, I have winamp. I'll see if that works. I tried garage band, but couldn't figure it out. (Mac newb) And the music is just game music, like Super Mario Bros and Zelda from the old 8 bit days.

If that's all it is, you're better off getting the original .nsf files and converting them. That way they will sound the same as they did on the hardware (or really freaking close). www.zophar.net/nsf

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PatriciaaPatriciaa Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Hello!

You can try MIDI Converter Studio for Windows or MIDI to MP3 Converter for Mac that is compatible with MAC. Personally I use MIDI Converter Studio that helps me convert files with soundfonts.

Patriciaa on