As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] and Catastrophe

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Safeties fail.

So do condoms, baby. <3 We also often have DA firing processes, and place our weapons in such a way as to make the chances of a trigger pull infinitesimal.
    And keeping a magazine loaded 24/7 is hard on the spring, eventually it will misfire unless you replace it periodically.

I don't keep my magazines loaded. I meant that I keep a round in the chamber when I'm carrying (which definitely isn't 24/7, and isn't 12/5, either).
    If you really feel the need to carry a loaded handgun, maybe you should consider switching to a double-action revolver.

Not a fan of revolvers.

Organichu on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, do you really need to have a gun for self-defence? Is it that bad over there?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah, marriage. The Great Indoor Fight.

One of the best lines

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Also, do you really need to have a gun for self-defence? Is it that bad over there?

Yes and no.

Can it be? Yes. Is it usually? No.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have the choice between buying a new keyboard and buying Arkham Asylum.

the solution is obvious.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hearing Americans talk about guns still unsettles me. You talk so casually about a device that was designed to cause harm. It's unsettling.

Who doesn't talk casually about guns?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone with an automatic produced in the last few decades would ever carry for the purpose of self-defense without a round in the chamber.

Because safeties fail, and shooting yourself with a gun you brought to protect yourself from being shot is pretty stupid.

A negligent discharge with responsible use (and I admit, allowing myself to fall asleep with a loaded weapon on my waist in a crowded car isn't responsible use... probably the worst thing I've ever done wrt gun safety, and even then the chances of anything happening were stupendously small) is... eh.

I guess there's a chance of everything. We are talking about mind blowingly small percentages, here, though.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I actually don't understand why people are so unsettled by guns who haven't been. . .you know shot or something.

Gun education is a fantastic thing to have. I do not own a gun. I have never fired a gun. But I sure as hell know a lot about them. Seems like the wisest thing to do.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

the solution is obvious.

yup

keyboard

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The British, for one. I should know - I'm one.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hearing Americans talk about guns still unsettles me. You talk so casually about a device that was designed to cause harm. It's unsettling.

Looking at my penis I'm pretty sure it, too, was designed with mayhem in mind. I work with what I got, friend. :D

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Guns are fine.

Getting shot not so much.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »

the solution is obvious.

yup

keyboard

yes.

batman is all well and good but we're talking about my soul

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't understand why anyone with an automatic produced in the last few decades would ever carry for the purpose of self-defense without a round in the chamber.

Because safeties fail, and shooting yourself with a gun you brought to protect yourself from being shot is pretty stupid.

A negligent discharge with responsible use (and I admit, allowing myself to fall asleep with a loaded weapon on my waist in a crowded car isn't responsible use... probably the worst thing I've ever done wrt gun safety, and even then the chances of anything happening were stupendously small) is... eh.

I guess there's a chance of everything. We are talking about mind blowingly small percentages, here, though.

Well, the chances aren't that small, and you got to prepare for the worst. You only need to slip up once, so better safe than sorry etc.

Much of the same reason why you always treat a gun like it's loaded, no matter if you just took out the bullets or just unchambered the last round.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Let's... y'know, let's not allow this to turn into a gun thread.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think Norway has more guns per person than the US.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    http://pagodanoodlecafe.com/

The website sucks

But hopefully the food's ok

Most reviews suggest it is ok, if on the 'mostly salty' side, flavor wise.

I HOPE TO ENJOY MYSELF, PITIFUL EARTHLINGS

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Canadians too

it seems very gauche in the main to talk about a thing for killing people with

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    everything i know about gun safety i learned from gargoyles

Greeper on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What kind of gun do you carry, Chu?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    guhh i dont want to go to bed but i should.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Studies would have to be done, but I don't see the chances of needing a gun in self defense to be much different than the chances of a weapon malfunction.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Over-and-under double barreled shotguns is the tits. I love it when you open it and the spent shells fly out. It's almost more fun than actually shooting.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Studies would have to be done, but I don't see the chances of needing a gun in self defense to be much different than the chances of a weapon malfunction.

Weapon malfunction by user error or weapon malfunction?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Computer keyboards cost nine dollars.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    everything i know about gun safety i learned from gargoyles

I loved that episode. It doesn't just go with "guns are bad", it goes with "guns are dangerous and should be handled with respect".

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

let's not go all out of context statistics in this thread m'kay

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Guys we're nerds. Let's stop talking about guns before the NRAA sees us as a demographic.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Canadians too

To be fair, in Norway you're not allowed a gun if all you're going to do with it is kill people. You gotta have a hunting license, or collectors license and a membership of a gun club, and do it for sport. So it's not really the same. Very few people get shot here.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wrist-destroying piece of shit chinese rubber crap Computer keyboards that no self-respecting person should use cost nine dollars.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Weapon malfunction by user error or weapon malfunction?

Initially I was thinking the former, but probably both combined.

Either seem to be legitimate risks by those who carry who are unable to risk the chance of a confrontation without a weapon.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Canadians too

To be fair, in Norway you're not allowed a gun if all you're going to do with it is kill people. You gotta have a hunting license, or collectors license and a membership of a gun club, and do it for sport. So it's not really the same. Very few people get shot here.

Very few people who legally own guns shoot people here.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    squirm: I'm loving the title of your blog post.

Now to read the actual content :D

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Well, the chances aren't that small, and you got to prepare for the worst. You only need to slip up once, so better safe than sorry etc.

Much of the same reason why you always treat a gun like it's loaded, no matter if you just took out the bullets or just unchambered the last round.

The chances really are that small, in my opinion.

I take that (again, very tiny) chance because I like the presence of mind of having a loaded firearm. Not having a chambered round diminishes that presence of mind.

I'm not trivializing the importance of gun safety. Just... with modern firearms, the redundancy is pretty total. I'd be marginally safer by carrying without one chambered, but I'd be more than marginally impaired if it came to the point where I'd ever have to fire my weapon in defense.

Now, of course, the likelihood of me ever having to fire my weapon in defense is just as absurdly low as the likelihood of me misfiring my weapon while it's holstered and safetied. This is all elementary. No sore feelings or anything, Squirms. Nobody here seems to be angry or interested into turning this into a a gun thread. We're just talking about safety and stuff.

If it'd make you feel better though I'll change the subject. Sorry dude.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

let's not go all out of context statistics in this thread m'kay

It's just an interesting aside. When I read that I thought "what, no-one I know has any guns at all! Oh except my farmer friend. They have seven. And my uncle, he has five. Oh."

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Hah, I pretty much made the same point in my last post without reading this. :D

*hi-5*

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Guys.

I want to write something. What should I write?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Canadians too

Very few people who legally own guns shoot people here.

but he's right, it's a fundamentally different thing

norwegians aren't taking out hunting licenses on desert eagles, and I think their carry laws are more restrictive

that's the problem with blanket statistics like "Norway has more guns per capita" and oh god someone go start a gun thread for this shit

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    WHAT KIND OF NOODLES SHOULD I GET AT THE NOODLE CAFE

Thai

Malaysian

Chinese

etc

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.