As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dust 514] FPS MMO? In my console? Why I never!

2»

• Options
    KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Love the idea of this game, but it will be tough for them to implement it in a way that will work well with Eve. Maybe battles in Dust will only effect FW caombat in eve?
    Wren wrote: »
    limit aiming to just using the keyboard
    Thats a guaranteed way to sell 0 copies on the pc. No fucking way i'd play an FPS with keyboard only.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    and you cant use wasd to move

arrow keys only

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    and you cant use wasd to move

arrow keys only

Left and right turn.

ctrl+left / right strafes.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    page up and down to switch weapons

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suppose Doom did have the perfect control scheme. Looking up and down is for suckers.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since it uses a lobby matchmacking system, you could have different matchmaking for PC users and Console users, so they don't ever mix.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Since it uses a lobby matchmacking system, you could have different matchmaking for PC users and Console users, so they don't ever mix.

wouldnt that just be the same thing as seperate shards then? also matchmaking for pc games is just terrible. I understand it for consoles since they're so technically limited and you don't want to give console gamers too many choices like a server list but thats just consoles.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    So an EVE player can craft a dozen Caldari 15gauge Shotguns and put them up on the market.

Whether anyone would buy them or not...

Just an FYI: Gauge size is based off the old measurement system used for cannons and thus works counterintuitively because of the small diameters involved. A 12 gauge means that it has the same diameter a lead sphere that weighs 1/12th of a pound. A 20 gauge is 1/20th of a pound. So a 15 gauge would actually fire a smaller cartridge then a 12 gauge; and the 12 gauge was thought to be weak when firing steel shot (hence the continued existence of 10 gauge shotguns) until improvements in shot metals closed the difference.

A 1 gauge is a 1 lb cannon. Anything larger then 1 gauge is measured as a "# lb cannon".

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    So an EVE player can craft a dozen Caldari 15gauge Shotguns and put them up on the market.

Whether anyone would buy them or not...

A 1 gauge is a 1 lb cannon. Anything larger then 1 gauge is measured as a "# lb cannon".

Ahem. . . yes, yes it was 8-)
    Zounds! I am undone!

Like I said though in my post, CCP would have to have a system in place where you would lose your shit and thus have to buy replacements. Much like how normal EVE works, but like I said I just do not see that ever happening and really it's probably is for the best.

edit- Hm, there used to be a joke there.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been wanting to see a new MMOFPS for a while now... but on console? I have a 360. Racing, sports, rythym.. all those games belong on console. Until someone releases a mouse/keyboard interface for my 360, I'm never buying a FPS on it. But the trailer looks sexy :(

Rivulent on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Multiplayer FPS on console are superior to PC because you actually have firefights instead of one shot/burst headshots from across the map while bunny hopping.

The inaccuracy of a controller is a PRO towards immersion in any FPS I ever played multi.
    I could NEVER stand playing CoD4 on PC because it never feels remotely close to a firefight, it's just like target practice.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Multiplayer FPS on console are superior to PC because you actually have firefights instead of one shot/burst headshots from across the map while bunny hopping.

The inaccuracy of a controller is a PRO towards immersion in any FPS I ever played multi.
    I could NEVER stand playing CoD4 on PC because it never feels remotely close to a firefight, it's just like target practice.

So youre basically saying that people are too good and need to be hamstrung to have a fun fps?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think he's saying that the accuracy provided by PC inputs decreases immersion because it allows people to target far better than real weaponry does.

Also, if sniping is less effect due to decreased accuracy you tend to get more run and gun fights. Which some people like.

Or are you purposefully being obtuse because he seems to be against the play style you enjoy?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the accuracy

I don't really like console FPS either. I hope this comes out on PC eventually.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

So youre basically saying that people are too good and need to be hamstrung to have a fun fps?

What I'm saying is based on my feeling of immersion regarding FPS.

I want to feel like I'm actually in some kind of cinematic firefight, with lots of stuff blowing up around me and bullets hitting the ground while I run through that towards the closest cover.

I DON'T want to move two steps and be shot dead by anyone who can use a mouse even remotely well.

I am really, really, REALLY sick of these "counter strike-esque" firefights, where it's all " Two people see eachother and 2 seconds later one of them is dead".
    That's not what I play games for.

And yes, I firmly believe that sometimes you should take control away from the player too make for a more cinematic gaming experience.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am really, really, REALLY sick of these "counter strike-esque" firefights, where it's all " Two people see eachother and 2 seconds later one of them is dead".
    I'd wager more often then not the dead guy didn't see the guy who killed him.

They could always go the TF2 route though and have training gradually bend dust players into highly situational classes.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

What I'm saying is based on my feeling of immersion regarding FPS.

I want to feel like I'm actually in some kind of cinematic firefight, with lots of stuff blowing up around me and bullets hitting the ground while I run through that towards the closest cover.

I DON'T want to move two steps and be shot dead by anyone who can use a mouse even remotely well.

That's not what I play games for.

And yes, I firmly believe that sometimes you should take control away from the player too make for a more cinematic gaming experience.

Ahh I see. I was thinking you just wanted it to last longer as opposed to making it more 'real'. I'm not being obtuse because 'i dont like it' it just doesnt cross my mind that people prefer that style. CoD4 was pretty fun, but I found myself getting frustrated because my shots aren't going where they are supposed to. Different strokes and all that I guess.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Travan wrote: »
    Its been said before, but more than anyone GF/MerchI should be thrilled by this. Both come from large gaming communities with members who enjoy reading about and would like to participate in EVE's metagame antics, but can't really gel with some of its more frustrating gameplay mechanics. Or like the idea of making space capitalists weep bitter tears by shooting people in the face.

This. I can't continuously play Eve, but I love the politics and all that. This might be my way to contribute to the swarm.

Cosign.

I have a job and a family and I want to keep both, so EvE is a big fat no-go for me.

However, you need a Space Marine to hot-jump into Delve 421 and be the guy 20 seconds into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU&feature=related

Well, fuck, I'll do it for free so long as Merchi covers my expenses.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, any Dust 514 clan we make must be known as "The Fleshreapers".

Shouldn't have to say why but:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/1/5/

I fail to see how this can be disputed.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, is there even a remote guess at a release date for this?

Or is it going to be whenever they get around to bothering?

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's a good point about the benefit of a console FPS being that its a little less wtfwasthatigotupfor1secandwasheadshotted. But on the flip side, I get equally annoyed in console FPS' when someone absolutely rapes me using a thumbstick.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know the PS3 has some strange nunchuck and mouse thingy... does the XBox 360 have anything like that? I know the shuttle thing that has USB ports in it is shit from hearing a friend curse it.

More curious than an interested customer (I don't even have a console).

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rivulent wrote: »
    That's a good point about the benefit of a console FPS being that its a little less wtfwasthatigotupfor1secandwasheadshotted. But on the flip side, I get equally annoyed in console FPS' when someone absolutely rapes me using a thumbstick.

What? No. That's simply an argument against pinpoint-accurate weapons and one-shot-kill headshots, and has precisely Jack Shit to do with PCs vs. consoles.

I mean, shit, what were the most popular weapons in Halo? Pistol and fucking Sniper Rifle.

Garthor on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's a huge generalization.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I kinda had to write it after this:
    I have a 360. Racing, sports, rythym.. all those games belong on console. Until someone releases a mouse/keyboard interface for my 360, I'm never buying a FPS on it

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I have a 360. Racing, sports, rythym.. all those games belong on console. Until someone releases a mouse/keyboard interface for my 360, I'm never buying a FPS on it

I have no idea what you're trying to say here

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So how exactly is this tying into the larger EvE game?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

It's basically a hole that EvE corporations have to throw money into, or they lose.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I have no idea what you're trying to say here

Scroll to the top of the page.
    I wrote a huge generalization as a response to another huge generalization.

And yes,god dammit, I know I should not have added "are superior to" without stating "for me" or "in my opinion" or whatever stops all you people from going all "abloo bloo" about this topic.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for threadcrapping with generalized statements about pc vs. console. I'm pretty much talking out my ass about this and can't judge until the game is released. But what I'm trying to say is I'm disappointing that this is currently console only, because I solely play FPS's on PC. And my reply saying that it was a good point about the lack of precision does have the benefit of making firefights last longer was because.. well it's a valid view I never thought of before. I still prefer the accuracy and knowing the only limiting factor in my ability is my own limits, not the controllers.

I wonder if they chose to go console because the eve developers don't want to overlap their audiences? In other words, maybe they want to avoid the possibility of a PC owner making a choice to pay a sub for eve or for Dust 514?

And COD4 on PC has never felt like target practice in the sense you say, Klyka. Instead, it feels like a shooter where you must think before you act (especially in hxc mode), else you will be murdered.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rivulent wrote: »
    I wonder if they chose to go console because the eve developers don't want to overlap their audiences? In other words, maybe they want to avoid the possibility of a PC owner making a choice to pay a sub for eve or for Dust 514?

They'll never admit to it but my guess is diversification. CCP hf is a one-title, and for the most part, one-platform studio.

I think they, or their principle investors, realized this and are taking steps to expand into new markets.

Diversify or die, so to speak.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Garthor wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

It's basically a hole that EvE corporations have to throw money into, or they lose.

Or they get their console playing breatherin to open up a mercenary unit to do contracts at cost.

Nah...noone metagames in EvE, right? :winky:

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Dust will need Boarding actions. Don't destroy that titan, get on there and gank that thing!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The griefing has the potential to be epic.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    The Goon's new diversion will be to board and steal a ship in mid-sec before CONCORD arrives.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rise from the dead, thread! RIIIIISE

So, uh, any news on this? I haven't heard a thing since it was first announced

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nope.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Here's a slightly bigger version of the picture in the op :(

57054_DUST514-02.jpg

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]