As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

George Clooney is a Jedi who stares at goats

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slow rise, set to dramatic music.

Followed by Ninja Vanish!

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really need to get around to reading the Episode III novelization

I've heard that it basically fixes everything that was wrong with the film, explains character motivation and actually makes you give a shit about what is happening! Normally this would be unbelievable but the passages I have read were suitably impressive that it seems worth a read

Also I have been excited for Men Who Stare At Goats for months ever since I saw the cast. This trailer just brings home how fucking wonderful this movie is going to be

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I love the next part because if you know where he is hiding you can actually see him on the screen, in the shadows.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

I've heard that it basically fixes everything that was wrong with the film, explains character motivation and actually makes you give a shit about what is happening! Normally this would be unbelievable but the passages I have read were suitably impressive that it seems worth a read

Also I have been excited for Men Who Stare At Goats for months ever since I saw the cast. This trailer just brings home how fucking wonderful this movie is going to be

how in the hell do they rewrite teenage angst into a believable motive?

EDIT: ok, Goatmon, we get it

you have a massive nerdboner for Grievous

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Tartakovsky got me so fucking pumped to see Grievous in the film.

And then Lucas turned him into a complete turd. :(

VROOOM LIGHTSABER SHINIES EVERYWHERE

LOOK AT BRIGHT COLORS

YAY

defender please explain your hate of shiny pretty things that kill people

I think you may have misunderstood something.

wait, that wasn't sarcastic?

it's so hard to tell with you

Action fightings are cool with me, but only if they're well done. All the choreography for the lightsaber stuff in the new trilogy (minus Ray Park) was just "wave this glowstick around just wherever" and it looked really meaningless. Like there was no emotion in it, it was just a bunch of random bright lights moving around. It's not too hard to get a good swordfight choreographer, but somehow they managed not to.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Fiiiine, I'll stop.

God.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Fiiiine, I'll stop.

God.
    *fap fap fap fap*

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I know! It's impossible, right? But everyone says it's great, and the preview pages are good

I mean, it's not like it could be any worse than the movie, you know what I'm sayin'?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I know! It's impossible, right? But everyone says it's great, and the preview pages are good

I mean, it's not like it could be any worse than the movie, you know what I'm sayin'?

well I may just have to check it out then

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Look at that.

He dodges the force!

Nobody dodges the force!

Except Grievous.

And that's really cool, because it represents ______.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Fiiiine, I'll stop.

God.
    *fap fap fap fap*

:oops:

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Look at that.

He dodges the force!

Nobody dodges the force!

Except Grievous.

Clone Wars was good enough that it didn't really have to have some deep meaning or purpose behind everything. It told a good story and did a much better job with characterization than Lucas, especially in regards to Anakin's transition to the dark side.

So there's no reason why he couldn't throw in a few action sequences that were just there for the fun of it.

Goatmon on

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Clone Wars Series was pretty much the best part of Episodes 1-3.

Especially the Commando Clones.

101 on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cody is a great name for a badass, jerk.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    BOOM

"What was that?"

"I don't know, General."

FWOOOSH

"That's not one of ours!"

"No, General."

SHWAAAAAAAAAAHH

"That was Anakin!"

"Yes, General!"

Goatmon on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brody

Brolo on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2009
    tanner the clone

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think a Tartakovsky series based on the Force Unleashed would be a good thing

it had a solid story behind the buggy gameplay

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2009
    I think a Tartakovsky series based on the Secret Apprentice would be a good thing

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think a Tartakovsky series based on the Secret Apprentice would be a good thing

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

you need to read the comic, man

does a much, much better job at telling the story than the game

but the game had truly phenomenal cutscenes

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    tanner the clone
    in a squad with skylar, tyler, taylor, and tylor.

What about Kenneth

Or Cameron

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scribemite wrote: »
    Kevin Spacey, George Clooney and Jeff Bridges in the same movie. I don't even care what the movie is about, this is watched.

I was all like, whats with the random-ass title.

This movies looks awesome. The best part of the trailer was when Boston kicked in.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is Tartakovsky the one who's behind the abortion that is Drama Island?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is Tartakovsky the one who's behind the abortion that is Drama Island?

nope, but the clone wars artist worked on that show

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh phew.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Did you know he's working on Iron Man 2?

They hired him to do Storyboards.

It's gonna be awesome.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Look at that.

He dodges the force!

Nobody dodges the force!

Except Grievous.

Clone Wars was good enough that it didn't really have to have some deep meaning or purpose behind everything. It told a good story and did a much better job with characterization than Lucas, especially in regards to Anakin's transition to the dark side.

So there's no reason why he couldn't throw in a few action sequences that were just there for the fun of it.

"It doesn't need a good narrative" is a decent answer if it's a Jackie Chan movie. When Jackie Chan fights ten guys at a time using only a ladder, it doesn't need to represent the moral struggles facing 21st-century civilization. It can just be that Jackie Chan is one agile motherfucker.

But it's not as good an answer when there's a huge preexisting storyline, and things like The Force are already very deliberately loaded with symbolic meaning. Having a character who can dodge it really should mean something. When you set up a something that binds all life and all non-living matter into a universal energy field that can be felt and even manipulated by trained practitioners of a millenia-old religion, having someone who can "dodge" it shouldn't be something you just do for a cool action sequence.

Defender on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the cgi clone wars series is pretty dang good, sans the parts with snips

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Look at that.

He dodges the force!

Nobody dodges the force!

Except Grievous.

"It doesn't need a good narrative" is a decent answer if it's a Jackie Chan movie. When Jackie Chan fights ten guys at a time using only a ladder, it doesn't need to represent the moral struggles facing 21st-century civilization. It can just be that Jackie Chan is one agile motherfucker.

But it's not as good an answer when there's a huge preexisting storyline, and things like The Force are already very deliberately loaded with symbolic meaning. Having a character who can dodge it really should mean something. When you set up a something that binds all life and all non-living matter into a universal energy field that can be felt and even manipulated by trained practitioners of a millenia-old religion, having someone who can "dodge" it shouldn't be something you just do for a cool action sequence.

When a huge preexisting storyline gets so huge there's like a hundred books by almost as many authors, all considered canon, and six feature films, seven if you count Clone Wars and only three of which are really any good or adhere to their own inner logic, I think the symbolism can be stretched and flexed a wee bit, if you see what I mean

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    t defender: grievous was intended to be a jedi killer who was force attuned but not capable of manipulating it

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Look at that.

He dodges the force!

Nobody dodges the force!

Except Grievous.

When a huge preexisting storyline gets so huge there's like a hundred books by almost as many authors, all considered canon, and six feature films, seven if you count Clone Wars and only three of which are really any good or adhere to their own inner logic, I think the symbolism can be stretched and flexed a wee bit, if you see what I mean

So you're saying somebody already shit the bed. I can accept that.

Pip: OK, maybe not the way I would want to see it work, but thanks for at least explaining the official plot reason why that can happen.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pip wrote:
    t defender: grievous was intended to be a jedi killer who was force attuned but not capable of manipulating it

Or you could just bust out the nerdtastic canonical answer

...seriously, is that his deal? Because when did that get explained

t Defender: pretty much!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pip wrote:

essentially behind the scenes for the tartaovsky series and lucas explaining him

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think I'd rather see something like a robot who can assassinate Jedi because his harmful intentions aren't "emotional" in nature and thus can't be detected. Maybe some armor that isn't easy to cut through would be good, too, although he'd have to be kinda stealthy so he doesn't get Force Chucked Into A Garbage Compactor.

But still, it's a better answer than "just for a cool fight sequence."

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    grievous was also the precursor surgery to vader

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Pip wrote:

essentially behind the scenes for the tartaovsky series and lucas explaining him

I really don't think things like that should be things you find out through behind the scenes shit

It's like that whole "who is the jedi who ordered the clone army and why" thing from episode II, which got answered in a fucking visual encyclopedia book they released along with the movie and nowhere else

I mean what the hell

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    But...they couldn't have built the Grievous thing on purpose to prepare for Vader, right? I mean him getting burned to shit wasn't really planned, was it?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Defender you realise that Grievous was actually a genius level tactician, who's vital organs I believe are in the robot exoskeleton.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you