Options

[WoW] CLAWSHRIMP 2: CLAW HARDER (PA ALLY PvE GUILD)

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    One of these days though, someone is going to take the standard MMO formula that you see in games like WoW, WAR, LOTRO, Aion, Everquest 2, etc and just put all the best unique things about each one into one game with a good engine. But that has yet to happen, and I don't know why.

See that's the thing, that's exactly what WoW did with the games before it. All of the games that you mentioned up there were mostly just copying WoWs design with one or two tweaks that are really cool and interesting. This is exactly what happened before when Everquest came out. It was the shining example of an MMO done right, and all other games coming out in that period (arguably besides DAoC and SWG) were just Everquest with a different skin and some minor gameplay tweaks.

Then WoW came out and revolutionized the genre, and now all the MMOs coming out are just WoW with a different skin, different world and some minor gameplay tweaks. It will take a while for a company to have the capital to invest in perfecting an MMO to the point where it makes WoW look bad on launch, and I'm not sure if any of the other major game companies that compete with Blizzard are willing to try. Blizzard dominates the market in every genre it releases, it doesn't make much sense from an economic standpoint to spend that amount of money on the offchance that you will make a better game than what Blizzard has.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant on the MMO genre as a whole, not against your decision to quit WoW. Maybe we'll see you around eventually, have fun with Borderlands :)

Yeah, the MMO market is pretty stagnant right now. WoW pretty much ushered in the 2nd generation of MMOs, but since then other games have improved on certain aspects, but never all in one game. I'm just surprised we have yet to see a game that is essentially the 3rd generation of the Everquest formula, and iterate on what WoW and its clones have done. WoW came out 5 years after EQ, here we are 5 years after WoW and the only big MMO on the horizon is The Old Republic. Though as much as I like Star Wars, I generally prefer fantasy MMOs. But it still has a chance at being the game I am looking for. Although really, the real thing I want is a successor to Asheron's Call, since I was an AC fan more than an EQ fan, but the odds of that happening are really slim.

Either way, I imagine I will give WoW a shot again when Cataclysm comes out. I've always wanted to play a Dwarf Shaman anyways. Hopefully you all are still around when it does.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A big problem with what most people who are dissatisfied with WoW want is that they and like another 0.5% of the market want it.

Most people I've talked to who play WoW enjoy all the conveniences in the game. A lot of people want "grand epic quests whose completion mean something" which, to most means "questing is a huge pain in the ass." Same thing with leveling being "meaningful," all that means is that it fucking sucks and catching up to your max level friends is going to take forever. There are some people who enjoy things like firewaterword mentioned in UO, tricking people into eating poisoned bread. There are some who enjoy the tension that exists in an MMO with FFA PvP, corpse looting, whatever else. Most people, however, don't give half of a fuck about this, and just don't want to be bothered while doing their dailies or whatever.

Wow's greatest success lies in its willingness to sell out and water down all of the things that people once considered "big accomplishments." Raiding? Now you can do the two entry tiers of raiding content with any 9 other half-competent people. You can get gear that's better than was available at the expansion's launch from doing a 5-man that takes 20 minutes. Hitting max level? They've nerfed how much experience it takes to level twice, and have made available tons of items to make it faster the whole way, with no need or even urge to stop for all those garbage instances along the way.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    another thing is

Every wow expansion is exactly what you describe.

"battleground leveling is fun? well, why don't we put that in wow?
    vehicle fights are interesting? whoops, we got em 8-)
    guild leveling structure? cool, we polish the fuck out of it, then put it in
    oh, WAR players love their custom titles? We have them too, but let's put in many others, so player can label themselves more to their liking"

If you think WOTLK is even in the same ballpark as WoW at release, clearly you haven't tried it

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kainy: on end game being "easy". Blizzard solved that too. Hard modes are far FAR from being easy, and give the "hardcore" accomplishments "regular" players will never get. Still, they get to experience the whole world.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    True, but even hardmodes get easy quick. I walked into Algalon a few weeks ago having not touched Ulduar in 3 months, hell, barely even playing in that long, and steamrolled it. Their whole strategy is release hard, then rapidly water down. Look at what happened to Mimiron vanilla and hard in the month or two after Ulduar came out.

Kainy on
  • Options
    wanthonywanthony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm sorry guys, but I can't make the Naxx run today. I thought I'd be working 7 to 3:30 EST as usual, but I'm actually working 12:30 to 9:00 EST. Also, I still have to reinstall (after reformatting my computer). See you guys on during the week.

wanthony on
    396318-1.png
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    another thing is

oh, WAR players love their custom titles? We have them too, but let's put in many others, so player can label themselves more to their liking"

If you think WOTLK is even in the same ballpark as WoW at release, clearly you haven't tried it

But even WoW was like that when it came out, they took ideas from other games and polished them up all nice and shiny and made World of Warcraft, Auction Houses, Mail system, Faction vs Faction and more. WoW isn't terribly innovative, but they do a terrific job of using other peoples ideas and turning it into something fantastic.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I ended up reinstalling and giving this another shot again instead of just quitting after a couple days. Also downloaded the QuestHelper mod and its like the greatest thing ever, so its definitely going better now.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I ended up reinstalling and giving this another shot again instead of just quitting after a couple days. Also downloaded the QuestHelper mod and its like the greatest thing ever, so its definitely going better now.

Even better: WoW-Pro Alliance Leveling Addon.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    another thing is

Vehicle fights are godawful, battleground leveling was a bad idea, and WoW did titles first, long before WAR was released. I think they added them in 1.5?

Wrath is, unfortunately, not as good as vanilla WoW, for the simple reason that everything is so toned down that it just begs the question "why bother"? You can run linear instances with loot bags, but why bother? There's no challenge or fun. You could run raids, but why bother? By the time you get your set they'll be releasing a new one, since they are putting them out on a much faster schedule. You could pvp, but why bother? The only rewards are from the awful arena system. The new BGs in Wrath are terrible, the new dungeons are a bad joke, and the first raid instance was a gutted version of a real raid instance from vanilla.

What is better in Wrath is the leveling/questing. There's really no competition in that aspect.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    LeftOnRedLeftOnRed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OK, since this thread is quickly derailing into a debate on whether WoW is fun or not, let's try to get it a little more on topic.

Our first Naxx run was yesterday. Not a full guild run because a couple people had some extenuating (that can't be spelled right) circumstances, but 7 out of 10 is close enough. I think we did fairly well considering how many people we had who were new to this. Finished off the spider and plague wings and did raz in death knight. Going to try to go in as a full guild run next Sunday. No kill pics or anything because it wasn't a full guild run, those will happen next week in Clawshrimp vs. Zombies 2.

LeftOnRed on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LeftOnRed wrote: »
    extenuating (that can't be spelled right)
    It is.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

carbonite mod is amazing.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    another thing is

Vehicle fights are godawful, battleground leveling was a bad idea, and WoW did titles first, long before WAR was released. I think they added them in 1.5?

Wrath is, unfortunately, not as good as vanilla WoW, for the simple reason that everything is so toned down that it just begs the question "why bother"? You can run linear instances with loot bags, but why bother? There's no challenge or fun. You could run raids, but why bother? By the time you get your set they'll be releasing a new one, since they are putting them out on a much faster schedule. You could pvp, but why bother? The only rewards are from the awful arena system. The new BGs in Wrath are terrible, the new dungeons are a bad joke, and the first raid instance was a gutted version of a real raid instance from vanilla.

What is better in Wrath is the leveling/questing. There's really no competition in that aspect.

I think battleground leveling is a great idea. Why should PvP-interested players be forced to PvE for 80 levels to get to the level that PvP is supposed to be balanced around? PvE players don't have to PvP, EVER, if they don't want to, to reach endgame PvE content.

The current raids and dungeons being fun or not is so intensely subjective that just stating that they all suck is pretty ridiculous. Yogg-Saron and Mimiron, ESPECIALLY Firefighter Mimiron, have a pretty decent counterargument for all Wrath raids being lame and easy.

I don't like arena, but lots of people do. Rated Battlegrounds will significantly help with getting nice PvP gear out of BGs, which I find to be the fun part of PvP (that and open world random stuff).

Believe it or not, 11 bajillionty people play WoW because they enjoy it, for one reason or another. Your stating your opinion that WoW is a bad game like it's a fact, sadly, does not magically make it so.

Kainy on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kainy wrote: »
    Believe it or not, 11 bajillionty people play WoW because they enjoy it, for one reason or another. Your stating your opinion that WoW is a bad game like it's a fact, sadly, does not magically make it so.

Never said that, said that vanilla was better, which is an opinion.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd call it rose tinted glasses

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So how bout that Clawshrimp and Co? I hear they're cool cats.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the coolest cats I hear.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Moving along efficiently. Up to 75, finished Ampitheater quests, and carrying enough gold to start flying around Northrend in a couple levels.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm thinking of coming back to the game after a long hiatus and I'm ready for a PvE server. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder. I was hoping to shack up with you guys, but all my characters are horde side. I won't have the cashola to transfer them for a bit, and I can only transfer one, so I was hoping to get an idea of what you need.

I have an 80 Warrior (Normally specced Fury) And an up and coming Hunter and Death Knight. I don't know if the list in the OP is accurate, so maybe someone could clue me in as to what is missing.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    RatmikeRatmike Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Off the top of my head we have very few rogues, hunters, and warlocks.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was leveling a Warlock, but got annoyed with the pet pathfinding and rolled a mage instead.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We've had a shortage of tanks in general for a while (although that doesn't seem to be as much as an issue now, many of our 70 range players have hit 80 recently).

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Crowmouth here. I've decided that I'm gonna bring my Warrior over. Levelling Crowmouth was fun for 5 hours, then I realized I have a 65 warrior just languishing. So I'm busting him to get him as high as I can, then I'm just going to faction change and server transfer him over.

This is in addition to the Rogue I'm bringing over.

Sorry I wasted your bags Steev. I wish they weren't soulbound. I'll pay you back seven fold.

I'll pop on over and chat on the regular tip till I get the real muscle over.

I should also say, Tanking is my favorite thing to do in WoW.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't worry about the bags. As I've been working on Loremaster in Outland, netherweave has been dropping like mad. I put 12 more bags in the bank there this morning.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ding 80!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys, what's the guild base starting to look like these days (classes, peoples at 80, activity, etc) I might possibly be in the market for a new guild soon and dont think I'll be finding much more to offer on my current server.

Also, raid nights/times?

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    http://www.wowarmory.com/guild-stats.xml?r=Draenor&gn=Clawshrimp+and+Co&cn=Blusella

Almost all of our active members are lvl 80, we're very active, and we're lowest on tanks. As far as active classes, we're lowest on Warriors for tanks, Warlocks/Rogues for DPS, and Priests/Shamans for healing.

We Raid every Sunday afternoon (currently set to do Naxx10 this coming Sunday) We alternate between Progression (naxx, etc.) and classic raids - Vanilla and BC. This isn't set in stone, it's just what works best for now.

Saturdays we usually try to knock out as many Heroics as possible, always Northrend unless we have a particular need or desire to do BC.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Priests for healing
    Working on it. Level 76 now.

Actually considering switching dual-specs from Shadow/Holy to Disc/Holy once I hit level cap. That whole Disc thing sounds interesting.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rogues you say.... hmmm

Reigner on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I'm one of only a couple of active high lvl rogues. Be sure to /join PA for an invite to the guild.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    http://www.wowarmory.com/guild-stats.xml?r=Draenor&gn=Clawshrimp+and+Co&cn=Blusella

Almost all of our active members are lvl 80, we're very active, and we're lowest on tanks. As far as active classes, we're lowest on Warriors for tanks, Warlocks/Rogues for DPS, and Priests/Shamans for healing.

We Raid every Sunday afternoon (currently set to do Naxx10 this coming Sunday) We alternate between Progression (naxx, etc.) and classic raids - Vanilla and BC. This isn't set in stone, it's just what works best for now.

Saturdays we usually try to knock out as many Heroics as possible, always Northrend unless we have a particular need or desire to do BC.

Also keep in mind that when he says "afternoons" he's talking about server time, which is PST. :)

SteevL on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Figures, druids are your most populated class.

I think I may want to transfer anyways, because I realize how much I may miss having any sort of Alliance character, when the focus of the game is shifted back to the more segregated Azeroth.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

Also keep in mind that when he says "afternoons" he's talking about server time, which is PST. :)

As long as those "afternoons" never turn into weekday "evenings" I think I might be alright
    P.S. Screw PST :P

Reigner on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    Figures, druids are your most populated class.

I think I may want to transfer anyways, because I realize how much I may miss having any sort of Alliance character, when the focus of the game is shifted back to the more segregated Azeroth.

Yeah, it'd figure this would be the case, when my only 80 on the Dranei server is, in fact, a Druid. :P

Also fuck you guys... why do I keep reading this thread after I've moved on to other games and finally managed to sac up and cancel my account after 3.5 years? D:

Eh, I'll have to see how the holiday season pans out. Champions is still fun for me right now, and there are a ton of other games about to flood the market that I want to play as well. I think Cataclysm will be pretty much impossible to avoid for me, though.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll be firing up my 80 gnome warlock this weekend. If anyone wants to toss me a scroll of resurrection send me a PM.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    tanking gear is coming along. hopes to run some ToC with you gents tonight whether it be just tagging along as dps or what.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    AfroJ wrote: »
    I'll be firing up my 80 gnome warlock this weekend. If anyone wants to toss me a scroll of resurrection send me a PM.

Unfortunately I found out that scrolls of resurrection can't be applied to WotLK accounts. :(

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    AfroJ wrote: »

Unfortunately I found out that scrolls of resurrection can't be applied to WotLK accounts. :(

I successfully got one. The email said I had been resurrected for TBC access, but I got into the game just fine.

It's important to note that an account cannot be resurrected more than three times.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have now transferred my druid over. I'll see about contacting someone in the guild tonight.

Septus on
This discussion has been closed.