As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arcania: A gothic Tale] Americans want teletubbies, Europeans Enemy at the Gates

AldoAldo Hippo HoorayRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
So I'm reading up on the next instalment of Gothic: Arcania: A Gothic Tale.

It's going to be a free-roaming RPG, but more open to new players and with more options to make the game as enjoyable as possible.

The previous Gothic games failed in the US, the makers believe there are multiple reasons for this: bugs, bugs and the game was too depressing for Americans.

So now they have decided to make 2 versions of their game: one in a grey/brown palette for European players and one with much brighter colours for Americans. There aren't any screenshots I could find that showed the differences, but that's what they're saying, so I assume they're serious about it.

There are a lot of American gamers here and I've seen the "ugh, it's all brown" comment being made quite a few times in reaction to gritty shooters etcet. Do you think DreamCatcher is on the right tract by giving you yanks a teletubby version to be happy in?

---Screenies---
gothicg3ao_2008_0023june191.jpg
gothic-4.jpg
arcania__a_gothic_tale_pics_5.jpg

---Additional info---
The previous three Gothic games dealt with a fantasy world wherein a nameless hero was dropped who had to make some sort of choice between good and evil. It's kind of like The Elder Scrolls, but with more bugs and gore. The games are huge in Germany and even the last bug-ridden clusterfuck has a fanbase. The games offer a rich and big world with a lot of magic and medieval armour to play with and you were free to make your own hero, although you could not change they way the hero looked. The old games were rather hardcore: you had to learn a lot if you wanted to succeed and even then it was difficult. The new game is aimed at new players, dumb players and Americans: this is why they made the game more accessible, made all sorts of nifty features such as a quest tracker and decided on a smaller, but better filled world.

---The Other Gothic---
After part 3 there has been a breakup between the developer and publisher. Here we're looking at the publisher's new take on Gothic. It is being developed by Spellbound Entertainment. The old developer, Piranha Bytes, has moved on to make the spiritual heir: Risen.

Aldo on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Will there be another version for the Japanese?

Couscous on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would buy a gothic Teletubbies game.

Time for Tinky Winky to MURDER.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Will there be another version for the Japanese?
    I believe they called that one Final Fantasy.

Aldo on