As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo 3: ODST - Prepare To Drop (Out Tuesday)

• Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for helping me out, Leitner, that level is hell on solo legendary.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Really wasn't all that bad, bar like a half dozen deaths right at the begining we raced through it.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I have this game waiting for me tonite at Gamestop... only problem is my Xbox RRoD on me. I dont even play it that much and when I do play it I let it rest after a few hours of playing just to prevent this crap from happening.

Its an elite too.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Firefight Impressions: (Bit early but meh)

On Heroic or higher close quarters with a Shotgun or Mauler is impossible without taking health damage. Hunters fucking own and are hard to take down without explosives. The map with the Warthog (The park map) blows the others out of the water, by far. Cloaked Brutes/Drones/Fuelrod Chieftans are annoying. The 4 non-combat skulls (Blind, IWBYD, Birthday Partay, etc) are togglable from the main menu. The maps are all locations where you find clues or areas from flashbacks. There's one map (Sky Docks) where you spawn with Sniper Rifles.

Worse of all, they never put in Jackel Shields as weapons. Oh, and the Pistol is shite except for headshotting shieldless targets. Doesn't feel that overpowered, so no Magnum/BR clutch weapons in the game.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    question: would using visor mode reveal camo'd enemies?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I've read a bunch of articles on this, and just finished the Game Trailers review.

Why is there so much obsession with the absence of Master Chief? He was a fairly one dimensional character to begin with. Not knocking him or anything, but what made Halo a good game will be in ODST in full force.

I can't think of a single person who would NOT play ODST because it doesn't have Master Chief.

Sheep on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    question: would using visor mode reveal camo'd enemies?

Yes. What's cool is that the outline fades (you don't see them, just the outline + white haze) in as you look at them, so "Ok nothing ther- OH SHIT" moments abound . Or my eyesight could suck.

Edit: Oh, and using your Visor on any of the day levels just gets you a faceful of glare. Even when inside. And on Night levels the AI doesn't take time to find you in the darkness like in campaign. Which is slightly disapointing because there could have been potential for a stealth game. Think Metal Gear Solid.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I've read a bunch of articles on this, and just finished the Game Trailers review.

Why is there so much obsession with the absence of Master Chief? He was a fairly one dimensional character to begin with. Not knocking him or anything, but what made Halo a good game will be in ODST in full force.

I can't think of a single person who would NOT play ODST because it doesn't have Master Chief.

It's the same people that felt their sexuality was threatened when they had to play as Arbiter.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

It's the same people that felt their sexuality was threatened when they had to play as Arbiter.

No one player can be a conduit for Keith Davids voice. It's just too much to handle.

Leitner on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

No one player can be a conduit for Keith Davids voice. It's just too much to handle.

Were it so easy.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd just wait for Halo 3: Mythic to show up used and buy him a copy.

Because license transferring = ALL of your DLC.

Oh, well never mind then. He can play Lone Wolves like a pleb then.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ugh. I wasn't planning to hit the midnight release tonight, because I wanted to get some sleep, but I'll be at recording all day tomorrow. Meaning I can sit all day and think about the game I have but aren't playing, or I can sit all day and think about the game I have to pick up after idling down the 405 for hours. Decisions...

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Another complaint I see raised, right along with the answer to WHY it's done like that, is that the character you play doesn't "grow". I don't remember Master Chief doing much growing outside of shoot the aliens and rescue the hot blue chick.

Secondly, the narrative isn't focused on the playable character, but the group. Right?

So WTF?

Sheep on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What about Big Game Hunter 2010?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-gqL4vjmg

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Were it so easy.

Fyre, I'll have you know that I would buy the shit out of a game based around the Arbiter, Spec Ops Commander, and all the Elites returning to their homeworld post Halo 3.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Primus, that was one of the ideas throw around in concept whilst they were deciding what would become ODST (well a game based upon the spec-ops elites).

I believe Burns had something to say on this.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is FireFight or whatever it's called only open to people on your friends list?

Sheep on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would LOVE an Elite-based game; that being said, I don't think it would carry the same mass appeal that the previous Halo games have had.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    The only good part of the Halo 2 campaign was playing as an elite, WORT WORT WORT!

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just realized I didn't have my gamertag in my sig. That should be fixed now. I'll be playing ODST tomorrow on.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So my Amazon preorder isn't even scheduled to ship until the 23rd, with an estimated arrival of the 28th-30th. Sadness abound.

Blakout on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    I can see how making it all the way to that 2nd post could be tiresome...

Yes, because the 2nd post is always the default post for EXACTLY the information I posted for. Pardon me if I'm at work and don't have time to go trapsing all over the thread to find something.

Thanks for being highly sarcastic while giving me the info, though. It's always new and exciting to find a dick on an internet forum. How original you are.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be playing tomorrow, too. I'm not great, but you can all feel awesome by comparing yourselves to me!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    12 Hours left, luckily I'll be sleeping through about 10 of them.

I've decided to go with Legendary for my first playthrough, it's going to be hard but i'll feel so much more awesome when i finish it.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    I can see how making it all the way to that 2nd post could be tiresome...

Yes, because the 2nd post is always the default post for EXACTLY the information I posted for. Pardon me if I'm at work and don't have time to go trapsing all over the thread to find something.

Thanks for being highly sarcastic while giving me the info, though. It's always new and exciting to find a dick on an internet forum. How original you are.

It's not like we hid it on page fifty-doorknobs or something, it's on the first page! This is the usual system for information in a thread

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My gamestop is doing things a little different this time. They are still going to finish the transactions early, but they won't start doing that till 10pm. This means there will be people in line at midnight that don't have the game paid for... which means my plan of showing up at midnight (transaction finsihed) and getting home by 12:30 won't work. So, I guess I'll be there about 10pm and wait in line. :x

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Three hours left.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Chris RedfieldChris Redfield Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd like to point out that we reached the end-of-thread target!

I'm going to be trying to pick it up after school tomorrow, although I'll probably only get to play it for an hour or two.

What are the overall opinions so far?

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I too will have to wait 2 hours in order to get back home at a decent time

I really want to get Buck when I play it, his flashback is the first one right?

edit: also will post a new thread in around 98

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Three hours left.

Fuck you.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yorker wrote: »
    Three hours left.

Fuck you.

I'm probably just goin to play for a couple hours, then get some sleep when I get too tired. Get to properly enjoy it.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Agent BorskiAgent Borski Registered User new member
    edited September 2009

I believe so. Read, bottom of the page: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1025307p3.html

I got to play a little bit of FireFight at PAX Prime. I was quite impressed, I was kinda afraid that it would feel like Horde all over again or Nazi Zombies Halo-fied but they managed to make it feel rather unique. Just wish it supported match making.

Agent Borski on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    is the TRU deal for tomorrow only?

I will probably just xfer my preorder cash onto something else because that is a hell of a deal.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    is the TRU deal for tomorrow only?

I will probably just xfer my preorder cash onto something else because that is a hell of a deal.

Apparently it's for the whole week. That said, people in my area are goddamned vultures, so I'll be hitting the local one ASAP.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I believe so. Read, bottom of the page: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1025307p3.html

I got to play a little bit of FireFight at PAX Prime. I was quite impressed, I was kinda afraid that it would feel like Horde all over again or Nazi Zombies Halo-fied but they managed to make it feel rather unique. Just wish it supported match making.

No matchmaking for firefight. Someone doesn't have to be your friend to join you in the lobby, but they would need an invite. Firefight works off the code for Halo 3's campaign, so if someone quits, you get kicked to the lobby... you can't join a game in session... etc

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

It's not like we hid it on page fifty-doorknobs or something, it's on the first page! This is the usual system for information in a thread

I realize it wasn't hidden away. And, yes, it would have been simple to just scroll down on the first page. I was mostly just annoyed that he was a prick about it instead of just saying, "It's on the first page". No reason to act that way towards people who asking a simple question.

I do apologize for my ignorance, though. I just want to find some cool folks to play with and most everyone on the PA forums seems worth playing with.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I realize it wasn't hidden away. And, yes, it would have been simple to just scroll down on the first page. I was mostly just annoyed that he was a prick about it instead of just saying, "It's on the first page". No reason to act that way towards people who asking a simple question.

I do apologize for my ignorance, though. I just want to find some cool folks to play with and most everyone on the PA forums seems worth playing with.

sup chattanooga

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm actually considering going to Wal Mart tonight and picking up a copy, then returning the one from Amazon when it gets here.

God I'm a loser.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

sup chattanooga

Sup, Cleveland. Reppin' for southern geeks. :)

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Chris RedfieldChris Redfield Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Willeth, you live in Macclesfield?! I never realised...

Are you all getting ODST tonight?

Chris Redfield on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.