Options

Meeting People In College

2

Posts

  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having interests in common with people is completely unnecessary to be friends, so don't use that as an excuse to not get to know people. I share no interests in common with the majority of my friends, and my best friend and I are almost polar opposites.

    HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Go to clubs, join a design team, looks good on your resume and you meet new people. win-win.

    RenegadeSilence on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To be honest freshman year I just wandered around random floors talking to random people, especially on weekend nights when people were just hanging out doing whatever.
    Worked for me.

    And don't really rely on seeking out people with your same interests, my best friends don't share lots of the same interests as me, they just have personalities I get along well with.

    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    So Ia m trying to take everyones advice and be open and say hi to everyone and just generally meet people. However I only had one class today and was not used to the massive amount of freetime so I figured I would beat batman again and just left my door open like always. Two guys walked in talked to them for a minute added one on live seemed to be going great.

    Some girl walks in and asks me if she has a nice ass. I am pretty incredibly introverted so I was taken back and didn't know how to respond to that. She leaves and later she walks by and I hear her telling her friends about it and saying that all I ever do is play video games, which for some reason really depressed me and just got me to close the door and work on getting more organized.

    Maybe that's all she sees you doing. Go talk to her and maybe how her you're not completely introverted?

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    So Ia m trying to take everyones advice and be open and say hi to everyone and just generally meet people. However I only had one class today and was not used to the massive amount of freetime so I figured I would beat batman again and just left my door open like always. Two guys walked in talked to them for a minute added one on live seemed to be going great.

    Some girl walks in and asks me if she has a nice ass. I am pretty incredibly introverted so I was taken back and didn't know how to respond to that. She leaves and later she walks by and I hear her telling her friends about it and saying that all I ever do is play video games, which for some reason really depressed me and just got me to close the door and work on getting more organized.

    Maybe that's all she sees you doing. Go talk to her and maybe how her you're not completely introverted?

    Chances are, if she looks down on you for playing video games she isn't somebody you'd want to be friends with.

    Also the correct response in that situation is "yes".

    Nostregar on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    So Ia m trying to take everyones advice and be open and say hi to everyone and just generally meet people. However I only had one class today and was not used to the massive amount of freetime so I figured I would beat batman again and just left my door open like always. Two guys walked in talked to them for a minute added one on live seemed to be going great.

    Some girl walks in and asks me if she has a nice ass. I am pretty incredibly introverted so I was taken back and didn't know how to respond to that. She leaves and later she walks by and I hear her telling her friends about it and saying that all I ever do is play video games, which for some reason really depressed me and just got me to close the door and work on getting more organized.

    Maybe that's all she sees you doing. Go talk to her and maybe how her you're not completely introverted?

    Chances are, if she looks down on you for playing video games she isn't somebody you'd want to be friends with.

    Also the correct response in that situation is "yes".

    Who said she looks down on him for it? That comment can be taken in other ways, such as "I tried to talk to this guy, but he only seems to be interested in video games"

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know that talking about someone behind their back is less than classy, but walking by someones door then stating the "fact" right there is pretty much as inconsiterate/shitty as it gets.

    Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just smile and say hell yea. Friendliness is like pulling out the bomb in a game of rock paper scissors. It beats everything.

    NotYou on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know that talking about someone behind their back is less than classy, but walking by someones door then stating the "fact" right there is pretty much as inconsiterate/shitty as it gets.

    It's happened to me before and some times it's just a matter of bad timing

    and I mean she was passing his room so maybe that's when she thought to talk about it

    but really who gives a fuck, talk to this girl or don't.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Chicks don't ask guys about how their ass looks unless they're interested. Get back in the game and talk to her! BUT, I did meet my best friends (still all best friends 15 years later) when I walked by their dorm room and saw they were playing Street Fighter. BUT AGAIN, if the chick is cute make sure you talk to her.

    Pandion on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First few days of school and shes going around asking that? My attention-whore meter is off the charts.
    The appropriate response is "well, I'm more of a knee guy myself".

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmmmm you may be right.

    If she's cute then I say go for it. If she's not then don't s*** where you eat. All you get is draaaaaaaaaaama

    Pandion on
  • Options
    StormCrow420StormCrow420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Who said she looks down on him for it? That comment can be taken in other ways, such as "I tried to talk to this guy, but he only seems to be interested in video games"

    No way. That is textbook preppy american princess getting her jollies off picking on the gamer guy. Then she is telling her friends about the kid in a place he is sure to hear about it. Textbook. OP did the right thing by not saying anything, continue to pretend like she doesn't exist and he'll do fine. Don't ever let her catch you looking at her! Ever! One look and she knows she got in his head (which she did btw).

    But back to the issue at hand. It sounds like the OP has hit a place that I ran into right before college. I realized at around 15 that my love for comics, D&D, magic cards, all that stuff wasn't helping my social life very much. There weren't any interesting genre girls around (I'm still looking) and the guys who were scoring all the chicks didn't have things like Character Sheets or Control Decks.

    I'm not saying abandon all that stuff, far from it, if anything I'm a bigger geek now than ever. But keep in in a box in your closet and make time for it. Like I said earlier, at 18 your priorites are 1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer, in that order. Plenty of time after you've had a few party years to get back into the world of sci-fi/fantasy.

    Those guys down the hall listening to hip-hop are your new friends. Make it happen. You'll never be at this time and place again. I'm 30 now and spend most of my time not working online geeking out, but I also have friends who invite me to BBQs and women who would sleep with me if I called them. At 18 I was never in my dormroom on a thursday-sunday night unless the sun was coming up.

    1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer. That's you're new mantra everytime you leave the dorm. Once you have experienced all three in copious amounts you can have your d20 back.

    Now Go!

    StormCrow420 on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well the only problem with that is everyone that I know here I know from playing Warhammer.

    Edit: Well that and I have my thinkgeek bag of holding here.. Actially theres no fucking way I have my Walking dead books on my shelf with my zombie survival and deadpool comics. Also a watchmen dawn of war 2 and Left 4 dead poster on the walls. With my Cthulu horror Clix...

    Ziac45 on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Who said she looks down on him for it? That comment can be taken in other ways, such as "I tried to talk to this guy, but he only seems to be interested in video games"

    No way. That is textbook preppy american princess getting her jollies off picking on the gamer guy. Then she is telling her friends about the kid in a place he is sure to hear about it. Textbook. OP did the right thing by not saying anything, continue to pretend like she doesn't exist and he'll do fine. Don't ever let her catch you looking at her! Ever! One look and she knows she got in his head (which she did btw).

    But back to the issue at hand. It sounds like the OP has hit a place that I ran into right before college. I realized at around 15 that my love for comics, D&D, magic cards, all that stuff wasn't helping my social life very much. There weren't any interesting genre girls around (I'm still looking) and the guys who were scoring all the chicks didn't have things like Character Sheets or Control Decks.

    I'm not saying abandon all that stuff, far from it, if anything I'm a bigger geek now than ever. But keep in in a box in your closet and make time for it. Like I said earlier, at 18 your priorites are 1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer, in that order. Plenty of time after you've had a few party years to get back into the world of sci-fi/fantasy.

    Those guys down the hall listening to hip-hop are your new friends. Make it happen. You'll never be at this time and place again. I'm 30 now and spend most of my time not working online geeking out, but I also have friends who invite me to BBQs and women who would sleep with me if I called them. At 18 I was never in my dormroom on a thursday-sunday night unless the sun was coming up.

    1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer. That's you're new mantra everytime you leave the dorm. Once you have experienced all three in copious amounts you can have your d20 back.

    Now Go!
    1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer.

    truer words have never been spoken.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Who said she looks down on him for it? That comment can be taken in other ways, such as "I tried to talk to this guy, but he only seems to be interested in video games"

    No way. That is textbook preppy american princess getting her jollies off picking on the gamer guy. Then she is telling her friends about the kid in a place he is sure to hear about it. Textbook. OP did the right thing by not saying anything, continue to pretend like she doesn't exist and he'll do fine. Don't ever let her catch you looking at her! Ever! One look and she knows she got in his head (which she did btw).

    But back to the issue at hand. It sounds like the OP has hit a place that I ran into right before college. I realized at around 15 that my love for comics, D&D, magic cards, all that stuff wasn't helping my social life very much. There weren't any interesting genre girls around (I'm still looking) and the guys who were scoring all the chicks didn't have things like Character Sheets or Control Decks.

    I'm not saying abandon all that stuff, far from it, if anything I'm a bigger geek now than ever. But keep in in a box in your closet and make time for it. Like I said earlier, at 18 your priorites are 1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer, in that order. Plenty of time after you've had a few party years to get back into the world of sci-fi/fantasy.

    Those guys down the hall listening to hip-hop are your new friends. Make it happen. You'll never be at this time and place again. I'm 30 now and spend most of my time not working online geeking out, but I also have friends who invite me to BBQs and women who would sleep with me if I called them. At 18 I was never in my dormroom on a thursday-sunday night unless the sun was coming up.

    1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer. That's you're new mantra everytime you leave the dorm. Once you have experienced all three in copious amounts you can have your d20 back.

    Now Go!

    Okay, OP, do yourself a favor and ignore this idiot.

    If your idea of having friends in college is a load of shallow acquaintances, then by all means, follow his advice. However, instead of outright dismissing this person, let me just point out why this is bad advice.
    It sounds like the OP has hit a place that I ran into right before college. I realized at around 15 that my love for comics, D&D, magic cards, all that stuff wasn't helping my social life very much. There weren't any interesting genre girls around (I'm still looking) and the guys who were scoring all the chicks didn't have things like Character Sheets or Control Decks.

    The only time I have been insecure about being a gamer was in high school. This was mostly because I was young and stupid. In college, I had become confident about my hobby, I've always been confident about my physical stamina and looks, so essentially I was as this man describes: a closet nerd.

    In college, I felt less insecure about my hobby and would talk about the complexities of it on a regular basis. This pushed away people I would rather not talk to anyway (people who dismiss games) and brought those who shared a passion for them closer. Contrary to his advice, I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.
    I'm not saying abandon all that stuff, far from it, if anything I'm a bigger geek now than ever. But keep in in a box in your closet and make time for it. Like I said earlier, at 18 your priorites are 1) Bitches 2) Forties 3) Reefer, in that order. Plenty of time after you've had a few party years to get back into the world of sci-fi/fantasy.

    What he is saying is deny who you are when you are in the company of other people and privately indulge in your hobbies, which in my mind is absurd. Why have friends that you can't discuss these things with? Why do you have to hide a part of yourself? One of my friends loves cars and think games are a waste of money. I love games and think cars are a waste of money. We both share our interests with each other though, because we find our respective interests fun to talk and learn about.

    You shouldn't feel like you need to "closet" a part of yourself, and if you were looking for romantic interests, getting involved with someone who doesn't approve of your interests isn't someone you want anyway.

    Secondly, the poster is a sexist asshole. It's true, he'll come back and say "that's not what I meant!" but there is often a disconnect between what people say they are and what they actually are. When he says that your priority is first and foremost "bitches," he is essentially debasing women as some prize to be scored. He's essentially objectifying them, which is pretty fucking disgusting and pathetic. If you want casual sex, go ahead and shoot for it, but if you want a worthwhile person you can share your interests with and also date, looking at them as "bitches" to "score" with isn't really helpful.
    Those guys down the hall listening to hip-hop are your new friends. Make it happen. You'll never be at this time and place again. I'm 30 now and spend most of my time not working online geeking out, but I also have friends who invite me to BBQs and women who would sleep with me if I called them. At 18 I was never in my dormroom on a thursday-sunday night unless the sun was coming up.

    They are not your friends. I hung out with people similar to them my first two years of college because they were in my dorm. I'm an outgoing personality, don't get me wrong, but they had naked photos of women in their dorm, would blast music, and had plenty of women coming in and out, all of them incredibly vapid and sexist. The irony is that they also played games heavily, but their other qualities detracted from them being worthwhile people. They were pretty much your typical college students - very confident, "got all the women," and remind me of your rap music playing neighbors.

    I ultimately dropped them because they were devoid of thought. I said to myself that I would sooner be friendless and focus on my education and home friends than a bunch of inconsiderate and horrible people.

    Take a Deep Breath.


    So, original poster, it seems like you want to make friends and perhaps a romantic interest. Not acquaintances and not casual sex.

    Keep joining clubs, talk to people, and realize that it's going to take time. Focus first and foremost on clubs and activities that share your interests. Jump into conversations, introduce yourself to people, and after becoming comfortable with a few of them, ask them if a few of them want to go to the movies, play some games, what have you.

    I have a core group of friends that are as tight as family to me. We have gone above and beyond for each other, and those relationships didn't come because I closeted who I really was. My girlfriend, who is incredibly attractive, laid back, and hilarious, was attracted to me because

    1. I was confident
    2. I had a passion and deep understanding of my hobbies, which ultimately made me interesting
    3. Sense of humor
    4. She won't lie, attraction came into it.

    She remarked one time that she remembered someone mocking me for seeing the metaphorical symbolism in an episode of star trek (I don't really watch it, but I can appreciate the discourse it brings to the table). She'll never forget how I handled it. I calmly explained to them why the metaphor worked, how it functioned in the work, and that if they didn't have the capacity to appreciate or understand it, that's is perfectly fine, but it's not like I mock them for their decision to watch project runway on sundays, which has a lot less artistic merit than a culture defining science fiction series.

    There were plenty of opportunities for casual relationships for me, but they were all bullshit. I finally found someone of substance, perhaps my greatest friend and complimentary personality in my girlfriend. Realize that anyone who turns you down because of who you are wouldn't make you happy in the first place. Fuck them, be yourself, and have enough confidence in who you are to realize what you want, not what other people recommend.

    *edit*

    My room was often plastered with video game posters.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    You're an idiot. Go back to your reefers and bitches. I'm sure you'll find a real winner that way.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The answer is you're both right.

    I've met some surprisingly classy ladies while smoking reefers and chugging 40z and met women who were a blast to be with and cool as hell while playing video games.

    Enjoy yourself by doing what you like, and be on the lookout for people who enjoy doing similar things.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    So Ia m trying to take everyones advice and be open and say hi to everyone and just generally meet people. However I only had one class today and was not used to the massive amount of freetime so I figured I would beat batman again and just left my door open like always. Two guys walked in talked to them for a minute added one on live seemed to be going great.

    Some girl walks in and asks me if she has a nice ass. I am pretty incredibly introverted so I was taken back and didn't know how to respond to that. She leaves and later she walks by and I hear her telling her friends about it and saying that all I ever do is play video games, which for some reason really depressed me and just got me to close the door and work on getting more organized.

    You need enough confidence to realize that she is

    1. Insecure about herself. Why the hell else is she asking about her ass - she's fucking with you and it speaks volumes about her insecurity if she's doing that to someone she barely knows.

    2. Isn't worth your time. You shouldn't be depressed. You should ask her how long she's been going around asking people about her ass and that in the amount of time she wasted, she could have actually been doing something productive.

    Like playing batman.

    Which is awesome.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    You're an idiot. Go back to your reefers and bitches. I'm sure you'll find a real winner that way.

    I am happily married with a son. I am glad I had my experiences with BB40s they helped make me the man I am today.

    Stop being a judgmental retard.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It should be mentioned that the larger number of cool gamer chicks is a relatively new thing.

    *Puts on grumpy old timer persona* Back in my day there just weren't very many girls/women into D&D, video games, etc... (not to say that there are tons now but there sure are more than say 15-20 years ago.)

    I am very happy to see that that has changed for the better.

    Pandion on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    You're an idiot. Go back to your reefers and bitches. I'm sure you'll find a real winner that way.

    I am happily married with a son. I am glad I had my experiences with BB40s they helped make me the man I am today.

    Stop being a judgmental retard.

    Yeah, because being a man is all about the BB40s. The fuck does that even mean? Is your definition of being a "man" defining women as an object to be won, drinking alcohol with others, and smoking? Those are some shitty standards. God help your son.

    I'm being judgmental because you're being an idiot, not because of what you drink or what you smoke. It's how you act, the underlying sexism behind scoring "bitches," and the flippant responses you have been giving my posts.

    Drinking and smoking isn't inherently wrong, but your inferences are and yes, they do bug me.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    The problem with everything your saying is that if that isn't who the OP is, he is going to come off as fake and desperate. Which isn't going to help him make friends.

    To the OP: I agree with everyone other than the guy I quoted. Don't worry about it too much, just talk to people. My randomly assigned roommate is still one of my best friends. I met my husband by wandering around the dorm floor below mine. I met one other girl who is still a very close friend of mine by talking to her before a class we had together (we became friends over the course of a semester, don't worry if you didn't meet a new bff the very first day of class).

    There were tons of other people I hung out with in college and enjoyed their company even though they were never going to be my best friends for life. Just meet people and hang out with them and you will find friends in the mix.

    Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    You're an idiot. Go back to your reefers and bitches. I'm sure you'll find a real winner that way.

    I am happily married with a son. I am glad I had my experiences with BB40s they helped make me the man I am today.

    Stop being a judgmental retard.

    Yeah, because being a man is all about the BB40s. The fuck does that even mean? Is your definition of being a "man" defining women as an object to be won, drinking alcohol with others, and smoking? Those are some shitty standards.

    I'm being judgmental because you're being an idiot, not because of what you drink or what you smoke. It's how you act, the underlying sexism behind scoring "bitches," and the flippant responses you have been giving my posts.

    I am flippant. I disagree with your position that people who take the time to party are misogynists, but don't carry to follow up on this conversation with you. It seemed apparent after the first sentence that you have some bitterness towards the 'social' crowd. Your message is stick with your clique, embrace your current interests, don't meet new kinds of people and then you too can have a rousing game of super mario brothers. Sounds pretty gay.

    I say the opposite. Now is the time to reach out and have new experiences. roll with the gangsters. trash a frat house. get arrested. write anarchist propaganda. find out that all you want to do is sit at home and play video games. whatever. I think all some of us are trying to say, and I'll put blunts forties and bitches on a goddamn flag, is that now is the time to challange your self image, and dig a little deeper into who you are.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    XaiokXaiok Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Those guys down the hall listening to hip-hop are your new friends. Make it happen. You'll never be at this time and place again. I'm 30 now and spend most of my time not working online geeking out, but I also have friends who invite me to BBQs and women who would sleep with me if I called them. At 18 I was never in my dormroom on a thursday-sunday night unless the sun was coming up.

    They are not your friends. I hung out with people similar to them my first two years of college because they were in my dorm. I'm an outgoing personality, don't get me wrong, but they had naked photos of women in their dorm, would blast music, and had plenty of women coming in and out, all of them incredibly vapid and sexist. The irony is that they also played games heavily, but their other qualities detracted from them being worthwhile people. They were pretty much your typical college students - very confident, "got all the women," and remind me of your rap music playing neighbors.

    I ultimately dropped them because they were devoid of thought. I said to myself that I would sooner be friendless and focus on my education and home friends than a bunch of inconsiderate and horrible people.

    While he may not get along with all of them, he might get along with some of them once he gets to know them. You never know, there's no point ruling out those people right now, especially since they're so loud and "social" that through them you can meet a lot of different kinds of people.

    What type of college experience is the OP looking for? Do you want to be partying all the time? Do you want to spend all your time just relaxing with some friends playing video games? Spend time "hooking up with bitches"? Whatever you want, I'm sure you can see some other people who are thinking similar lines. Stop just hanging out in your room, or at least lessen the time you spend doing it, and wander the floors around you and talk to people you see playing video games or anything like that. Hell, talk to people that LOOK "geeky" if you want comic/video game/whatever friends. Stereotyping for sure, but it's not always a bad thing.

    I'm going in to my last year of school this year. I've got 3 roommates, all of whom are completely different. 2 friends from one "group" and a friend from another "group". With 2 party-people in the house, we always have invites to the best parties, and tons of people know us simply because we go out, have fun, and are all pretty confident. 2 people (including myself) are pretty hardcore gamers. Of course, we've drawn the partiers into our gaming as much as they've drawn us into their partying.

    Don't worry about finding people with the exact same interests as you. As long as you've both got SOMETHING to talk about, be it comics, sports, games, parties, girls, whatever, you can get along well enough that you can hang out. While you hang out you're sure to meet more people.

    Xaiok on
  • Options
    BardiBardi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For my $.02, i'd say listen to both SkyGheNe and StormCrow420. But only when they are realistic.

    What you should do: join the gaming club, but do NOT under any circumstances expect to meet your dream girl there. . . or any kind of acceptable girls at all honestly. I'd bet money that at most colleges game clubs are sausagefests, or at best, lots of dudes and a few less than desirable girls. The gaming club is where you will meet friends, not girlfriends, and it is under no circumstances the only club you should join.

    Secondly, make sure that the people you meet also want to go out and party. Even if you think you don't want to party that hard, odds are you are you will enjoy it more than you think. Don't worry if you dont go out and get messed up 3 nights a week, but actively seek out opportunities to go out on the weekends. Parties are great places to meet people, not just girls. And who knows, those douchebags with the loud music might be nice guys when they don't have control over a stereo volume knob, so don't rule those people out either. They may just be enjoying the freedom that being out from under their parents' roof gets them.

    Bardi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    You're an idiot. Go back to your reefers and bitches. I'm sure you'll find a real winner that way.

    I am happily married with a son. I am glad I had my experiences with BB40s they helped make me the man I am today.

    Stop being a judgmental retard.

    Yeah, because being a man is all about the BB40s. The fuck does that even mean? Is your definition of being a "man" defining women as an object to be won, drinking alcohol with others, and smoking? Those are some shitty standards.

    I'm being judgmental because you're being an idiot, not because of what you drink or what you smoke. It's how you act, the underlying sexism behind scoring "bitches," and the flippant responses you have been giving my posts.

    I am flippant. I disagree with your position that people who take the time to party are misogynists, but don't carry to follow up on this conversation with you. It seemed apparent after the first sentence that you have some bitterness towards the 'social' crowd. Your message is stick with your clique, embrace your current interests, don't meet new kinds of people and then you too can have a rousing game of super mario brothers. Sounds pretty gay.

    I say the opposite. Now is the time to reach out and have new experiences. roll with the gangsters. trash a frat house. get arrested. write anarchist propaganda. find out that all you want to do is sit at home and play video games. whatever. I think all some of us are trying to say, and I'll put blunts forties and bitches on a goddamn flag, is that now is the time to challange your self image, and dig a little deeper into who you are.

    There is a big difference between partying and calling women bitches. You never said anything good about partying. Couldn't sitting in your dorm room alone getting drunk, high and chatting anonymously online qualify as meeting your three goals?

    Everyone else in this thread other than you is telling the OP to go out and meet people. You haven't done that so I have no idea where this rant is coming from. Bitches, Reefer and 40s in no way tells the OP to leave his dorm room to do those things and talk to people in the process.

    It is all about how you are saying things that makes you sound like an asshat. You never actually suggested the OP go out and go to parties (which if he doesn't feel like he has any friends yet he may not know how to find).

    Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good advice from Xaiok...even if it's from Canada. ;)

    Pandion on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am flippant. I disagree with your position that people who take the time to party are misogynists, but don't carry to follow up on this conversation with you. It seemed apparent after the first sentence that you have some bitterness towards the 'social' crowd. Your message is stick with your clique, embrace your current interests, don't meet new kinds of people and then you too can have a rousing game of super mario brothers. Sounds pretty gay.
    Let's add homophobia, or at the very least, flippancy towards the gay community to your postings after referring to my advice as "sounding pretty gay."

    The people who take time to party are not misogynists. I never said that. Where did I say that? I dare you to point it out.

    My message isn't to stick with your clique - yes, I feel embracing your passions or "current interests" are important to establishing confidence and making you a worthwhile person. I actually advised that the OP DO go out and meet new kinds of people, so I have no clue what you're fucking talking about.

    I'm amazed that you made it this far in life and can only guess that standards at uni have dropped considerably, because you're failing at basic reading comprehension and critical thinking. You're disingenuously twisting my words to fit what you want to believe.

    If he sticks to who he is, the "partying" will follow. You're really an idiot if you think that due to my hobbies and interests, or how I met my girlfriend, that I don't party. I'm saying that the partying is a lot more fun because it's with a tight group of friends that I met through things I actually enjoy doing. You're essentially stereotyping gamers, nerds, what have you and establishing a false dichotomy that is essentially this:

    1. Abandon a part of yourself and party

    or

    2. hold onto yourself and forget about partying/meeting new people/having fun in college
    I say the opposite. Now is the time to reach out and have new experiences. roll with the gangsters. trash a frat house. get arrested. write anarchist propaganda. find out that all you want to do is sit at home and play video games. whatever. I think all some of us are trying to say, and I'll put blunts forties and bitches on a goddamn flag, is that now is the time to challange your self image, and dig a little deeper into who you are.

    Digging a little deeper into who you are isn't abandoning the things you enjoy doing. It's the exact opposite.

    Bardi and Xaoi have some good advice. Listen to them.

    *edit*

    Also, yes, video game clubs tend to have a 3:1 ratio of men to women (at least ours did). Some of them were attractive, some of them weren't at all. Yes, you shouldn't think of it as a means of finding a girlfriend, but as others have said, there are actually normal people who play video games, yes, they might actually show up at the club, and yes, they might actually have female friends. This is how you meet new people - meeting friends of friends and so on.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    You're an idiot. Go back to your reefers and bitches. I'm sure you'll find a real winner that way.

    I am happily married with a son. I am glad I had my experiences with BB40s they helped make me the man I am today.

    Stop being a judgmental retard.

    Yeah, because being a man is all about the BB40s. The fuck does that even mean? Is your definition of being a "man" defining women as an object to be won, drinking alcohol with others, and smoking? Those are some shitty standards.

    I'm being judgmental because you're being an idiot, not because of what you drink or what you smoke. It's how you act, the underlying sexism behind scoring "bitches," and the flippant responses you have been giving my posts.

    I am flippant. I disagree with your position that people who take the time to party are misogynists, but don't carry to follow up on this conversation with you. It seemed apparent after the first sentence that you have some bitterness towards the 'social' crowd. Your message is stick with your clique, embrace your current interests, don't meet new kinds of people and then you too can have a rousing game of super mario brothers. Sounds pretty gay.

    I say the opposite. Now is the time to reach out and have new experiences. roll with the gangsters. trash a frat house. get arrested. write anarchist propaganda. find out that all you want to do is sit at home and play video games. whatever. I think all some of us are trying to say, and I'll put blunts forties and bitches on a goddamn flag, is that now is the time to challange your self image, and dig a little deeper into who you are.

    There is a big difference between partying and calling women bitches. You never said anything good about partying. Couldn't sitting in your dorm room alone getting drunk, high and chatting anonymously online qualify as meeting your three goals?

    Everyone else in this thread other than you is telling the OP to go out and meet people. You haven't done that so I have no idea where this rant is coming from. Bitches, Reefer and 40s in no way tells the OP to leave his dorm room to do those things and talk to people in the process.

    It is all about how you are saying things that makes you sound like an asshat. You never actually suggested the OP go out and go to parties (which if he doesn't feel like he has any friends yet he may not know how to find).

    Limed for truth.

    OP, I'm sorry if I implied you should stay at home, doing drugs and chatting on omegle. It was never my intention. I think some high grade grass and a few glasses of chardonnay with high-class ladies who are into videogames and are pretty on the inside will do you well. That being said, don't just stay in your comfort zone. Meet the cowboy from oklahoma with shit on his boots. talk to the thug from cleveland.

    Just don't shell up and stick to the same old shit. Meet everyone you can, any way that you can. Maybe you'll hate most of them, maybe you'll love em. but now you know.

    Hell, start the damn video game club, sounds like a good way to meet some chubby chicks.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I've met a lot of fantastic women at the Video Game Club I started at my University and met my current girlfriend at said club after a rousing game of Super Mario Bros.


    Cheesier bullshit has never been spoken.

    You're an idiot. Go back to your reefers and bitches. I'm sure you'll find a real winner that way.

    I am happily married with a son. I am glad I had my experiences with BB40s they helped make me the man I am today.

    Stop being a judgmental retard.

    Yeah, because being a man is all about the BB40s. The fuck does that even mean? Is your definition of being a "man" defining women as an object to be won, drinking alcohol with others, and smoking? Those are some shitty standards.

    I'm being judgmental because you're being an idiot, not because of what you drink or what you smoke. It's how you act, the underlying sexism behind scoring "bitches," and the flippant responses you have been giving my posts.

    I am flippant. I disagree with your position that people who take the time to party are misogynists, but don't carry to follow up on this conversation with you. It seemed apparent after the first sentence that you have some bitterness towards the 'social' crowd. Your message is stick with your clique, embrace your current interests, don't meet new kinds of people and then you too can have a rousing game of super mario brothers. Sounds pretty gay.

    I say the opposite. Now is the time to reach out and have new experiences. roll with the gangsters. trash a frat house. get arrested. write anarchist propaganda. find out that all you want to do is sit at home and play video games. whatever. I think all some of us are trying to say, and I'll put blunts forties and bitches on a goddamn flag, is that now is the time to challange your self image, and dig a little deeper into who you are.

    There is a big difference between partying and calling women bitches. You never said anything good about partying. Couldn't sitting in your dorm room alone getting drunk, high and chatting anonymously online qualify as meeting your three goals?

    Everyone else in this thread other than you is telling the OP to go out and meet people. You haven't done that so I have no idea where this rant is coming from. Bitches, Reefer and 40s in no way tells the OP to leave his dorm room to do those things and talk to people in the process.

    It is all about how you are saying things that makes you sound like an asshat. You never actually suggested the OP go out and go to parties (which if he doesn't feel like he has any friends yet he may not know how to find).

    Limed for truth.

    OP, I'm sorry if I implied you should stay at home, doing drugs and chatting on omegle. It was never my intention. I think some high grade grass and a few glasses of chardonnay with high-class ladies who are into videogames and are pretty on the inside will do you well. That being said, don't just stay in your comfort zone. Meet the cowboy from oklahoma with shit on his boots. talk to the thug from cleveland.

    Just don't shell up and stick to the same old shit. Meet everyone you can, any way that you can. Maybe you'll hate most of them, maybe you'll love em. but now you know.

    Hell, start the damn video game club, sounds like a good way to meet some chubby chicks.

    I loved your advice up until the last line, but I'll settle for this much of an improvement in such short notice.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    [oh snap]

    I loved your advice up until the last line, but I'll settle for this much of an improvement in such short notice.

    Well thank you. I only threw the end in there to make friends.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Now kiss and make up.

    Pandion on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pandion wrote: »
    Now kiss and make up.

    I rather kiss my has-to-be-chubby girlfriend from video game club.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Pandion wrote: »
    Now kiss and make up.

    I rather kiss my has-to-be-chubby girlfriend from video game club.

    I'd probably rather kiss her too.
    be nice, damnit

    remember, OP, snarky arguments are another good way to make friends.

    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    StormCrow420StormCrow420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

    Okay, OP, do yourself a favor and ignore this idiot.

    I actually spent 4 minutes reading this post. Now I want them back. I don't appreciate being called an idiot or an asshole, though at times I've been both. I'm just trying to give this guy some advice about fitting in. I'm pretty sure I did that without calling him queer or pasty or anything.

    Eventually the OP is going to mature and get comfortable with himself, and the best advice for fitting in is to be yourself. But that ain't happening at 18, guaran-fucking-ted. To much drama, hormones and insecurity. He needs to get out and get some real, non-warlock-related, experiences. He needs to get fucked up, wake up in strange beds, get wild, get his heart broken, get in trouble. In short, he needs to find himself and you're PC touchy feely everyone gets a trophy take on reality isn't going to help him with that.

    And I'm very sorry you take offense at my objectification of women. No, really, I'm very sorry. I may lose sleep tonight.

    Anyway, if the OP wants to know what I think, he can read my posts. I bid this thread a fond farewell!

    StormCrow420 on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

    Okay, OP, do yourself a favor and ignore this idiot.

    I actually spent 4 minutes reading this post. Now I want them back. I don't appreciate being called an idiot or an asshole, though at times I've been both. I'm just trying to give this guy some advice about fitting in. I'm pretty sure I did that without calling him queer or pasty or anything.

    Eventually the OP is going to mature and get comfortable with himself, and the best advice for fitting in is to be yourself. But that ain't happening at 18, guaran-fucking-ted. To much drama, hormones and insecurity. He needs to get out and get some real, non-warlock-related, experiences. He needs to get fucked up, wake up in strange beds, get wild, get his heart broken, get in trouble. In short, he needs to find himself and you're PC touchy feely everyone gets a trophy take on reality isn't going to help him with that.

    And I'm very sorry you take offense at my objectification of women. No, really, I'm very sorry. I may lose sleep tonight.

    Anyway, if the OP wants to know what I think, he can read my posts. I bid this thread a fond farewell!

    And your sarcasm and general disregard for your damaging behavior (ie: the sexism) shows me just how little you care about people.

    OP, this is pretty much an example of someone who I really wouldn't want to be friends with and how I would single them out. Someone who knows he's doing something wrong but still does it anyway because they're lazy.

    My advice is to avoid them, but I'm done with this thread, I've given it my all.

    SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    haxormaxhaxormax Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So here's an idea with a back story.

    When I was in high school, all my friends started doing drugs. I smoked weed maybe 8 times and then stopped. I noticed that all my friends started choosing drugs over me; they would not call me because it felt awkward to smoke around me. Going to college, all of them went to one school and I had a choice of where I wanted to go. Well, I figured that I wanted a new beginning. I wanted new friends that liked me for me. So I went to a different school and made different kind of friends.

    My point here is that, you're in college! These people have no idea who you are. Try as much shit as you can. You don't know if you like sushi or not? Go try it! You have no idea if you'd be interested in the club that watches foreign flicks? Go try it!

    What all of these guys are trying to say to you is that you don't know who you are yet. You don't know where you're going. College is the time to try shit. I'm glad to hear you're trying to branch out. Keep going dude. Anything you like doing, go do it in public.

    Pretty much this, except for the buying part. Buying girls gifts to win their affection is inviting them to use you.

    haxormax on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I only read the Op's first few posts.

    My first year at college, I met these kids that were into techno. I fucking hated techno. They were always blasting techno and it was really annoying.

    I gave them a chance and now they are my best friends at school. Out of my crew of 6 people, three of whom I live with, we essentially have nothing in common except that we are all awesome. Are you awesome? They might be awesome. You will only know if you talk to them.

    Chop Logic on
Sign In or Register to comment.