As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DS/PSP] Puzzle Quest: It's a Bejeweled RPG

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I managed to play about half an hour of the demo this morning. It was very good indeed but I'm slightly concerned about the difficulty. Or perhaps I just suck. I keep setting up lovely fours only then to realise that the badguy gets a go and have him steal it and get a free turn.

I'm up to the bat so far, he's bested me twice.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Inthegray, our time has come!
    Both the PlayStation Portable and DS versions of Puzzle Quest have their quirks. On the PSP, loading issues can cause the game to hang for a second. These disruptive pauses can strike at almost any time, whether you're scrolling across the overworld map or casting a spell during combat. They don't really ruin anything, but they're annoying nonetheless. On the DS, the problems with the presentation are much more severe and end up impacting the gameplay. The graphics aren't as crisp and clear as they are on the PSP, and there are barely any flashy special effects. Most significantly, the puzzle playfield appears cramped on the lower screen of the DS, and it's difficult to discern certain pieces. Because of the size of the pieces, it's also easier to make mistakes with the game's mandatory stylus controls. The content is still good, but these problems make the DS version harder to recommend. While the presentation can be uneven between the two versions of Puzzle Quest, both feature some really great, sweeping music that fits the tone of the straightforward adventure quite beautifully.

The appeal of Puzzle Quest for fans of either RPGs or puzzle games is quite obvious, as it does a great job of scratching two distinctly different types of itches simultaneously. What's most remarkable about Puzzle Quest, though, is how a simple change of context turns some tired genre conventions that have been done to death into something that's suitable for just about anyone, regardless of your interest in the components.

Hmm...I'm torn. I was initially set to buy the DS version, but now I'm leaning more toward PSP -- and I may not have enough money for either. Time to hit up the Coinstar machine!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    :: sigh ::

i was a little worried about some of the "flashy effects" being taken out and tried to ask the developer about it, but he dodged the question. the touchscreen problems are also worrisome.

nevertheless, i fully intend to pick up a copy of the ds game (i don't have a psp unfortunately), and will eventually chime on whether or not the issues are distracting.

inthegray on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, this dang demo has stolen quite a few hours of my life. Such a simple concept, but it's done SO well. It has a very "One more turn" feel to it. Adding the spells you can cast, and the different items you can have, make for a very stratigic game. I am in LOVE!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Both the DS and PSP versions are listed at $29.99 at Gamestop, by the way. I might try to see if Best Buy gets it in stock (I know, a fool's errand) so I can use the GamePro $5 off coupon from CAG, but I'm feeling splurgey so I'll probably just snag it wherever I can.
    inthegray wrote:
    :: sigh ::

i was a little worried about some of the "flashy effects" being taken out and tried to ask the developer about it, but he dodged the question. the touchscreen problems are also worrisome.

nevertheless, i fully intend to pick up a copy of the ds game (i don't have a psp unfortunately), and will eventually chime on whether or not the issues are distracting.
    I don't know if the lack of effects would be a dealbreaker for me, but mentions of cramping and small in the touchscreen may stay my hand. It seems a lot more intuitive to tap that way, but I've butchered enough turns in Advance Wars DS that I typically just use the D-pad.

I'm in the rare spot of being able to choose, though. I think if they weren't the same price I might even keel toward the DS version.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll pick it up next week, barring any additional poor control feedback.

I'd like to hear what Nintendo Power said about it; some guy at 4cr posted that NP panned the game.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How odd, given the demo I would have assumed that this would have a PC release too.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    SponkSponk boglinus minimus Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried to reserve the game at Gamestop last week and they couldn't even find a listing for it in the computer (despite there being an entry for it on the website). This didn't give me high hopes about finding it locally so I decided to order it off Amazon earilier this week. The computer demo should hold me over until it ships. It's surprisingly well put together. I was sold on the concept alone, but I'm relieved that it looks like they actually put a lot of effort into the game.

I really don't think the stylus controls will be that bad... Even if they're a little off, this isn't a fast-paced game like meteos. I like that it actually helps to take time and think about the effects of your turn so you don't set up your opponent for a huge move.

Sponk on
    LIVE ID: sponk81
    wii code: 8041-7562-5268-4264
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh damn, this is awesome. Just by going through the inventory I can see that it's at least superficially deep. Building dungeons, capturing enemies and mounts, siege machines...this sounds more like a sim than an RPG.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It really is seeming like this game is one of those hidden gems. I mean, the artwork is nice enough, the soundtrack is good, they added things like having a cidadel, and mounts (although I don't know how those affect gameplay). I am definitely getting one, and SOON!

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I haven't seen a whole lot of it lately, but the artwork strikes me as "pleasantly bland." The music in the trailer was a lot better than I was expecting.

I think the name and overall vibe gives a first impression of "lol shovelware," but I'm totally stoked about the game. Total cult hit, if it ends up as good as those Gamespot reviews are saying.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    I'll pick it up next week, barring any additional poor control feedback.

I'd like to hear what Nintendo Power said about it; some guy at 4cr posted that NP panned the game.

according to what i've heard, the low score was partially due to the reviewer not taking to Bejeweled-type puzzlers. also, i believe it's one of the first reviews from a recently-hired writer (ex-PSM), so he might've felt pressured to knuckle down on the game.

yeah, i'm just making excuses for puzzle quest. but i still think it looks fun.

inthegray on
  • Options
    JanciJanci Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Likewise, I'm super pumped for this. I've played a fair amount of the PC demo, and I'll be picking up the DS version as soon as I can find a store that actually carries it (my Amazon order got delayed to April).

I am a little worried about the graphics on the DS though. I have a feeling effects like the lightning bolts that stream of matched skulls to the HP bar they are damaging won't be in.

Janci on
    Let's be Wii friends: 3696 5067 0073 8314
    Or, talk smack on Xbox Live: Gaffgarron
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I only have the DS, so that settles the version choice for me. I played the demo the other night and loved it. So is there any one cart multiplayer, or does everyone have to have a copy? This would be really fun against others, but I doubt I'll ever find another player. My order can't get here soon enough! I want to kill undead with puzzles!

Pseudonym on
    Animal Crossing Wii: Kelly in Boomtown
    1934-4237-4812
    Fruit: Peaches, perhaps coconuts soon too!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Artwork reminds me of Fire Emblem, it really looks like they were going for that style. Some of the knight portraits in particular remind me of it a lot.

Also, this game will get maddening later on. Anybody try to capture a monster yet? I got a skeleton and the puzzle took me quite a few tries to beat. Then I tried to learn his spells which also took several tries. I can't imagine doing this for every enemy type in the game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    I only have the DS, so that settles the version choice for me. I played the demo the other night and loved it. So is there any one cart multiplayer, or does everyone have to have a copy? This would be really fun against others, but I doubt I'll ever find another player. My order can't get here soon enough! I want to kill undead with puzzles!
    I've been wondering this, too -- I might get the DS version if I have more chances to play multiplayer.

HURRGGHGHHGGHHH

Sporky, is that all in the demo or are you playing the full game? The EBStops by me don't have it in yet.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    no download-play (single cart multiplayer) unfortunately, last i heard. :/

i'm in the same boat as you, lunker... gonna try to scour the shops for a copy after work today.

inthegray on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    I've been wondering this, too -- I might get the DS version if I have more chances to play multiplayer.

HURRGGHGHHGGHHH

Sporky, is that all in the demo or are you playing the full game? The EBStops by me don't have it in yet.
    It's in the demo which I assume must be pretty close to the real thing...I can't imagine stuff like that missing from the other versions.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EDIT: oops, somebody posted that already. Sorry.

Yea load times are annoying, I wonder how bad they are.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Somebody already posted that exact review.

Personally, I'd rather have less impressive special effects than load times.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It was the next logical step. For ten years now, they've been putting these idiotic story modes into puzzle games. It was only a matter of time before someone made the story mode an actual game in itself.

...anyway, this looks interesting, but I cannot possibly think of a worse title than "Puzzle Quest".

i've always thot the same thing about fighting games and still nothing.

and someone mentioned bejeweled. am i the only person who hates bejeweled and can't understand its success. probably is just me

theparttime on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    got the game last night!

unfortunately, i only had about 10 minutes with the game due to some other obligations. my two thougths so far:

1. man, i wish there was more classes than just these 4. i never play non-rogue characters, and i have no idea which one i'll be the most comfortable playing. i went with the knight, because the idea of playing a warrior/fighter class sounded a little bland to me.

2. while some might feel the storylines are contrived, it just seems more "old school" to me. which is what i was hoping for with this game.

inthegray on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been playing the demo a lot. It's damned addictive. So there's about 150 quests, and just about everything you can do (Capture monsters, research monster skills, train mounts, craft items) is it's own semi-unique mini-game? I think I'm going to be busy with this for quite a while when I get a DS copy. Does anyone know if the multiplayer is across wifi internet or not?

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    inthegray wrote: »
    got the game last night!

unfortunately, i only had about 10 minutes with the game due to some other obligations. my two thougths so far:

1. man, i wish there was more classes than just these 4. i never play non-rogue characters, and i have no idea which one i'll be the most comfortable playing. i went with the knight, because the idea of playing a warrior/fighter class sounded a little bland to me.

2. while some might feel the storylines are contrived, it just seems more "old school" to me. which is what i was hoping for with this game.
    Is there any credence to Gamespot's "cramped bottom screen" complaints? I keep waffling on which system to buy this for.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Puzzle Quest spotted in the wild! EBGames had both versions in. After some hemming and hawing, I decided to go with the DS version; Imran reminded me about how unweildy UMDs can get, and yeah, loading. Looking at more media I don't think I'll mind the "smaller" DS playing field.

Now I can just get crackin'! Poring through the instruction manual, there's a shitload of things to do in this game. Crafting, mounts, exploration ... I can't wait.

Lunker on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Puzzle Quest spotted in the wild! EBGames had both versions in. After some hemming and hawing, I decided to go with the DS version; Imran reminded me about how unweildy UMDs can get, and yeah, loading. Looking at more media I don't think I'll mind the "smaller" DS playing field.

Now I can just get crackin'! Poring through the instruction manual, there's a shitload of things to do in this game. Crafting, mounts, exploration ... I can't wait.

You can actually do all that in the demo, too. The only thing I haven't been able to do is capture a city, but that's because the demo caps your level at 7 and the city's level is 15. But I'm riding a giant rat and I've learned spells from all the enemy types I've encountered.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »

You can actually do all that in the demo, too. The only thing I haven't been able to do is capture a city, but that's because the demo caps your level at 7 and the city's level is 15. But I'm riding a giant rat and I've learned spells from all the enemy types I've encountered.

Riding a giant rat...dang I need to buy this game.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    alright, so i put another half-hour into this game (level 4), and i'm digging it so far.

complaints on the ds version. REAL TALK:

now that i think about it, the bottom screen does seem a little cramped, but i didn't notice it much while playing. i haven't had a problem yet telling the different pieces apart.

i haven't made any mistakes yet with the stylus controls, but i did immediately recognize the complaints about the touchscreen not being as "smooth" as people would like. every now and then, i have to re-attempt sliding a piece because my first try didn't register. while it's deplorable that a game which heavily relies on touchscreen gameplay futzes it up like this, you don't suffer much from it besides being mildly annoyed. the gameplay isn't as frantic as zookeeper -- your moves should be strategized and deliberated over, not quickly scratched out.

it's also a shame that the game doesn't have the lightning and visual effects that the psp/pc version does.

i still really like the game so far, and i hope to be able to present a long list of awesome things about it soon.

inthegray on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    alright, so i put another half-hour into this game (level 4), and i'm digging it so far.

now that i think about it, the bottom screen does seem a little cramped, but i didn't notice it much while playing. i haven't had a problem yet telling the different pieces apart.

i haven't made any mistakes yet with the stylus controls, but i did immediately recognize the complaints about the touchscreen not being as "smooth" as people would like. every now and then, i have to re-attempt sliding a piece because my first try didn't register. while it's deplorable that a game which heavily relies on touchscreen gameplay futzes it up like this, you don't suffer much from it besides being mildly annoyed. the gameplay isn't as frantic as zookeeper -- your moves should be strategized and deliberated over, not quickly scratched out.

it's also a shame that the game doesn't have the lighting and visual effects that the psp/pc version does.

i still really like the game so far, and i hope to be able to present a long list of awesome things about it soon.

Have you acquired and tried to upgrade a mount yet? Those have a timer attached to each turn.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Captain AmazingCaptain Amazing Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

it's also a shame that the game doesn't have the lightning and visual effects that the psp/pc version does.

inthegray is right on about the touchscreen. I went into the game trying to drag the pieces like on Zookeeper and the results weren't great. Now I tap each piece I want to move and it works much better. Even though the pieces don't drag how I would like, I would still rather tap with the stylus than navigate with a d-pad.

The graphics took a bit of getting used to after playing the PC demo, but once I got into the game they were fine. They aren't bad by any means, but they are about what you would expect in the step down from the PC to the DS.

I don't know what Gamespot was talking about when they said the pieces were difficult to distinguish. They are colored blocks. Unless you are colorblind you aren't going to have a problem.

One thing I love is the instant action button. It is perfect for when you have 5 minutes and want to throw down a quick puzzle without messing with the story. It sends you directly into battle with an opponent and your character keeps the experience and gold you earn during the match. I imagine this will make for much easier grinding when saving up for expensive items and whatnot.

Captain Amazing on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So far I rather dig the game. I get a very heavy Magic the Gathering vibe from it, and there's a really cool blend of strategy and luck while playing. You have a lot of options available to you: You can make gem matches to store up mana for yourself; you can make star/gold matches to build up your experience and cash reserves for equipment; you can match skulls to directly attack; or you can also make gem matches to prevent your opponent from getting said mana, blocking him from casting spells.

The game's quite hard, but there's no penalty for losing battles, which is nice because I've been getting whipped a lot. You can even go into a battle and just match up gold/experience stars while your enemy beats on you.

One thing that's killing me: After about 5 seconds, a small hint icon pops up that points to a suggested piece to move. Is there any way to turn this off? It's immensely irritating, and I want to figure out the matches on my own. :x

Also, as far as DS or PSP: I find myself squinting a bit on the DS, but I also really, really like the touchscreen controls, so I'm happy with my decision.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Other than graphics/animatics is there anything missing GAMEPLAY-wise on the DS?

Like, does it play like the PC demo? Do you have a courtyard or whatever of your own in the central castle-town?

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Other than graphics/animatics is there anything missing GAMEPLAY-wise on the DS?

Like, does it play like the PC demo? Do you have a courtyard or whatever of your own in the central castle-town?
    Yeah, I wanna know too. Lunker, can you play the PC demo and let us know if anything's missing? Are the quests and portraits and script the same? Can you learn enemy spells and use them as mounts?

Also I don't know if you can turn the hint thing off but it's basically something to ignore since I think it's totally random and rarely shows a good move. I'm often told to go for three when a four is right there.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's something I don't understand. They made a demo for the PC. But there's no PC version of this game? Why not? If they already have it running, why not just churn out a pc version? I loved the demo, but I only own a DS, and the thought of the small screen and lack of special attacks kind of makes me doubt if it'll still play as nicely.

Noray on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    There's something I don't understand. They made a demo for the PC. But there's no PC version of this game? Why not? If they already have it running, why not just churn out a pc version? I loved the demo, but I only own a DS, and the thought of the small screen and lack of special attacks kind of makes me doubt if it'll still play as nicely.

Hold on there, soldier.

Small screen? Sure.

Lack of Special Attacks? No such thing (as far as we know).

Yes, when you skull an opponent the "lightning doesn't flash" (according to others), but that doesn't mean you don't get the same results.

Currently, the only noted differences are graphical and animatic. From the, maybe ONE report, there does not appear to be any gameplay differences. We just need to find out for 100% sure whether the gameplay is different between the DS / PSP and the PC Demo.

Squashua on
  • Options
    TarTar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game is pretty fun, wish it had wifi though.

Tar on
    AC:WW 2191.0414.2547 Tar in Red Hill PM me if you add me!
    TETRIS DS 760.559 466.343
    clubhouse 270.663 522.426
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought there WAS going to be a PC version. Gamespot lists it as an upcoming PC game with a release date "TBA."

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rocketlex wrote: »
    I thought there WAS going to be a PC version. Gamespot lists it as an upcoming PC game with a release date "TBA."
    From what I can tell a PC version will emerge at some point in the future. I'm holding on for that as it seems the best way to play it.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It started on the PC, but moved to the DS and PSP. It looks like the PC version was discontinued when it shifted platforms.

Steve Faulkner from Infinite Interactive says that it "might find its way" to the PC and XBox 360 eventually.

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2007/02/22/4cr-interview-infinite-interactive-puzzle-quest-ds/

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    there are pc and 360 (live) versions planned -- steve faulkner has done everything but make the official announcement for it. just not sure how far off it will be.

inthegray on