As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DS/PSP] Puzzle Quest: It's a Bejeweled RPG

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so i beat the game with a wizard and with a knight.

I've officially beaten the game. I captured all the enemies. I got both endings.

What do I do now?

And what's with that whole Deathbringer thing? How do I get it? I just started a new story with a Druid. I figure Warrior would be last, yeah?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Spore CloudSpore Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I've officially beaten the game. I captured all the enemies. I got both endings.

What do I do now?

And what's with that whole Deathbringer thing? How do I get it? I just started a new story with a Druid. I figure Warrior would be last, yeah?

Deathbringer is the Warriors GG strategy. It makes random skulls across the board equal to half of your current red mana. With the right equipment, enough starting mana and luck, you can 1 shot the last boss no joke.

My warriors stats:
    Earth Mastery:3 2
    Fire Mastery: 89
    Air Mastery: 32
    Water Mastery: 32
    Battle: 82
    Cunning: 7
    Morale: 15

Head: Collar of Fire - +7 damage for each of your mana resevers that are full when doing 3 or more damage gives +8 to red mana at the beginning of each combat

Body: Woodland Cloak - adds +1 to green mana for ever 3 damage you do

Weapon: Dugog's Club: gives 20% change to add +12 points of damage whenever you do damage

Misc: Dragonhorn of Fire adds +6 to all of you rmana reserves whenever you match 4 or 5 gems gives +8 to red mana at the beginning of each combat

Spore Cloud on
    Spore+Cloud.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

What do I do now?

Play Etrian Odyssey. That's what I did after burning through PQ with a Wizard and a Knight anyway. Until there's a PQ II!

As for the Deathbringer, it's been a while, but isn't that the sword the Sorcerer gives you if you let him go instead of sending him to prison?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

What do I do now?

Deathbringer is the Warriors GG strategy. It makes random skulls across the board equal to half of your current red mana. With the right equipment, enough starting mana and luck, you can 1 shot the last boss no joke.

My warriors stats:

Head: Collar of Fire - +7 damage for each of your mana resevers that are full when doing 3 or more damage gives +8 to red mana at the beginning of each combat

Weapon: Dugog's Club: gives 20% change to add +12 points of damage whenever you do damage

Misc: Dragonhorn of Fire adds +6 to all of you rmana reserves whenever you match 4 or 5 gems gives +8 to red mana at the beginning of each combat

Why use the club? Erik's Bow will give you as much of a bonus 100% of the time.

jothki on
  • Spore CloudSpore Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hah, you're right! I guess when I got the bow I just wrote it off as not being worth it and never looked at it again.

Spore Cloud on
    Spore+Cloud.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, the general concensus seems to rank the classes from best to worst as Warrior, Wizard, Knight, Druid, with a significant gap between Wizard and Knight. They're just so game-breaking. Warriors can literally fill the whole board with skulls every turn. (The guy hacked the game to max his stats, but you can achieve similar battle results easily.)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i still say we need to update that gamebreaking strategy guide.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jothki wrote: »

What do I do now?

My warriors stats:

Why use the club? Erik's Bow will give you as much of a bonus 100% of the time.
    The Firewalker's Staff is really the best weapon in the game.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I love the Firewalker's Staff. I should probably get some Fire Mastery+ objects, but for now I've just been levelling it up (or buying more skill).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, I finally finished the game.

Man, I beat Bane on my first try.

Didn't think I was going to. He got me down to like 20 HP when he was still at 300, but through luck and healing spells I managed to hold on.

...so when does Galactrix come out, again?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow just got it for the PSP and fuck. Is the opponent's luck correlated to the differences in levels between you and it?

I mean it's like I move once and and bambambambambambam the opponent gets 20 billion mana and just did 40 damage to me.

What the hell?

Bryse Eayo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the AI can see whats coming next, so that gives them a silly edge

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Red KnightRed Knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    im fairly certain the ai doesnt cheat or look ahead. the devs have written a couple of articles about it and talked about it in some interviews (in one they actually describe the ai process in its entirety). they insist that there is no cheating, and ive been following these guys for years (long time warlords fanboy) and theyve never lied about stuff before.

what you can actually see sometimes (and it took me a while to realize this - doh!) is the ai gets a lot of extra turns because its 4 mana skills are high, so its getting extra turns just from matching mana gems on many occasions. and the more an ai player has to be "pulled up" to your level, the more its skills go up & the more extra turns it gets. thats not a bad thing, because the player has so many extra spells & items at their disposal that the ai needs a boost. but this is entirely within the rules of the game - nothing cheapo about it imho.

the other thing to watch out for is that some creatures have items that give them extra turns (minotaurs are a good example).

Red Knight on

O==((==RedKnight=---
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Red Knight wrote: »
    im fairly certain the ai doesnt cheat or look ahead. the devs have written a couple of articles about it and talked about it in some interviews (in one they actually describe the ai process in its entirety). they insist that there is no cheating, and ive been following these guys for years (long time warlords fanboy) and theyve never lied about stuff before.

what you can actually see sometimes (and it took me a while to realize this - doh!) is the ai gets a lot of extra turns because its 4 mana skills are high, so its getting extra turns just from matching mana gems on many occasions. and the more an ai player has to be "pulled up" to your level, the more its skills go up & the more extra turns it gets. thats not a bad thing, because the player has so many extra spells & items at their disposal that the ai needs a boost. but this is entirely within the rules of the game - nothing cheapo about it imho.

the other thing to watch out for is that some creatures have items that give them extra turns (minotaurs are a good example).

I equate it to a computer playing chess. The computer is able to analyze the board and see the outcome of possible matches much, much faster than a human can. In other words it can do something like "x to yz, ABC will fall from abve putting ABF into position for another match.

That was a pretty poor way to explain it but the AI isn't doing anything we couldn't do, it's just doing it a lot quicker and a lot better.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    I equate it to a computer playing chess. The computer is able to analyze the board and see the outcome of possible matches much, much faster than a human can. In other words it can do something like "x to yz, ABC will fall from abve putting ABF into position for another match.

That was a pretty poor way to explain it but the AI isn't doing anything we couldn't do, it's just doing it a lot quicker and a lot better.

I read the article on the AI actually, and he claims its about 200 lines of code.

The funniest part where he says essentially "Does it cheat? No. I'm too lazy to code a cheating AI."

Phoenix-D on
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just got the game, but I don't have time to read through the whole thread, so;

What stats should I put my skill points in if I am a Druid?

And also
    Should I take Darkhunter's prisoner to the tower or should I release him for that sword?

Qorzm on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My suggestion is to keep pumping points into whatever costs 1. Everything else you can buy with cash later.

Pb on
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God damn, you, G&T; God damn you all to hell.

So my wife traded in her GBA SP & some exrta monies from work to buy a DS Lite from GameStop on Friday. While we were there, I spent my monies on Puzzle Quest, Hotel Dusk, and took advantage of their Buy Two get 1 Free deal on used games. (Hello, Elebits, Thousand Year Door and Cooking Mama DS! for cheap/free!)

I'm not sure if she's slept since then.

I had to go to Best Buy today and spend more birthday monies on a second copy of PQ so I can play.

I blame each and every one of you bastards who have posted to this thread for my joy/pain/addiction.

Anti-Sean on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Are... people still playing this? I've looked for matches online like... four times today, and there is nothing in the window. I even tried creating a match, but nothing happens.

Delzhand on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just beat the game today with my Wizard.
    At first, Bane was brutal not giving me a chance. Then, I learned one spell (took like four fucking days tho) and crafted one rune item, and bam.
    Dead-o.
    Kinda anti-climactic.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What's the best version of this game to get, guys?

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DS con: Accident illegal moves because you touch between two boxes by accident

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited June 2007
    i played both and i recommend the psp. youll find lots of discussion here over whether people prefer:

psp: nicer graphics, better tutorial better sound, minor gameplay bug (companions dont add bonuses)
    ds: stylus control is good, sound offends some people but not others, not much tutorialish help

Red Knight on

O==((==RedKnight=---
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love the stylus control, although I admit I haven't tried any other versions. It makes it really easy to swap gems, although of course the flipside is that it's easier to accidentally make a move you don't want to. The chances of that happening, though, are pretty slim. Just as long as you're careful.

As for graphics, it's not really all that important in a game like this.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Eteric wrote: »
    What's the best version of this game to get, guys?

I'd say the PC version if, you know, there actually was one.

/sulk

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2007
    I'd say the PC version if, you know, there actually was one.

hey, at least you can take consolation in this: by the time they actually do release a pc version the game should be just about perfect.

Red Knight on

O==((==RedKnight=---
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks like they're also spreading this game to the Wii. And I think I saw a PS2 version on the site too. I haven't played the DS version in a while but it's so addictive. I don't know if I'll get the Wii version or Xbox Live version. Or both. Wiimote pointing would be very nice.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Darn it I want the Wii version now. :(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ugh. just make sure to have everything be waggle or digital at the same time.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Puzzle Quest is in the Omegathon this year!
    Gabe wrote: »
    And how will we abuse our Omeganauts this year you ask?

The Omegathon 2007 Schedule

Round 1: Pac Man

Time: Friday, 4:00 PM

Round 2: Calling All Cars

Time: Saturday, 1:30 PM

Round 3: Quake III

Time: Saturday, 4:30 PM

Round 4: Karaoke Revolution

Time: Saturday, 8:00 PM

Round 5: Puzzle Quest

Time: Sunday, 1:30 PM

Round 6: ???

Time: Sunday, 4:30 PM

Diabolical!

-Gabe out

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited July 2007
    I have to wonder how that will work. Will the contestants be expected to bring their own characters? Will they be allowed to?

jothki on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I bought the game a few weeks ago, but Im not very far into it because I feel like the computer cheats. Its almost as if they know what blocks will fall from offscreen that you cant even see yet with some of their combos. Perhaps I just suck ass or made my Druid suck somehow.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited July 2007
    druids can be tough to play because they lack any direct damage spells early in their list.
    the ai doesn't cheat, im certain... but it seldom misses a good combo and it knows how to stack the odds in its favor by choosing matches that give a good chance for MORE matches.

If you want some simple rules that i play by:
    a) look for 4/5 of a kind, then
    b) look for skulls, then
    c) look for mana you need (or perhaps mana your enemy needs if he has a big spell)
    d) prefer vertical matches to horizontal ones (more chance of cascades)
    e) prefer matches near the bottom to matches near the top (more chance of cascades)
    f) spend your ability points mostly on your 1pt skills, sometimes on your 2 pt skills, NEVER on 3 pt skills
    g) ignore the helper arrow
    h) dont make matches too close to pairs of skulls when doing so could allow an extra skull to fall down and give the ai an easy damage move

Red Knight on

O==((==RedKnight=---
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I bought the game a few weeks ago, but Im not very far into it because I feel like the computer cheats. Its almost as if they know what blocks will fall from offscreen that you cant even see yet with some of their combos. Perhaps I just suck ass or made my Druid suck somehow.
    This is a common complaint but it's a psychological thing, the computer does not cheat.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, you get lucky just as much as the AI. It's just that you tend to forget about your own unintentional combos when the computer is kicking your ass with one. Think about it this way: haven't you won 90% of your matches so far? How do you think the computer feels? :P

Also, the game is hard at the beginning, but becomes very easy 1/4-1/2 of the way in. By the end, you'll probably have strategies that you ban yourself from using, they're so overpowered.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    Red Knight wrote: »
    g) ignore the helper arrow

Remember, the computer is trying to beat you. Don't trust it.
    I think it's random, but there's almost always a better move.

jothki on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CITIZENS
    THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BTW, I"ve just ordered this game online. I always wanted a Bejeweled with story game.

Oh, anyone here plays Lunar Knights? I'm really liking it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone else think that this game would have been much better if it wasn't so linear and spread out? Based on how the overworld map works, the game could have worked well having everything take place in a single or a few centralized countries, with new locations appearing as they are needed. Sending the player all over the world when you can just make things pop into existance anywhere seems like a waste of the mechanics.

jothki on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that this game would have been much better if it wasn't so linear and spread out? Based on how the overworld map works, the game could have worked well having everything take place in a single or a few centralized countries, with new locations appearing as they are needed. Sending the player all over the world when you can just make things pop into existance anywhere seems like a waste of the mechanics.
    Not really, no. I played it for the gameplay, I could give a rip about the overworld map. It was adequate, and that's all the game needed for me.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png