Options

The Classic Movies

2»

• Options
    notquitenotquite Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most movies I would share have been said already. My only addition would be something with paul newman. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was good, but I'm a much bigger fan of Cool Hand Luke. Or you could go with Slapshots, which is probably the greatest hockey movie of all time.

notquite on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    notquite wrote: »
    Most movies I would share have been said already. My only addition would be something with paul newman. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was good, but I'm a much bigger fan of Cool Hand Luke. Or you could go with Slapshots, which is probably the greatest hockey movie of all time.

only stick with the first Slaphot, skip the other 2.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What Pandora is for telling you about other bands similar to your musical tastes, the Netflix queue is for developing lists of movies to watch. Or more specifically the movies it recommends once you pick something to add.

For instance: one of the best war movies ever is Saving Private Ryan. I've already seen it, but I added it to my queue anyway (I'm going to remove it in a second). The screeen popped up with the following recommendations for other stellar war movies:
    Full Metal Jacket
    Platoon
    Black Hawk Down
    Braveheart

It also recommended a movie I'd never heard of before called The Wind That Shakes The Barley. Any movie that gets mentioned along with Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan is a movie I want to watch, so I'm going to add it to my watch instantly queue.

You can repeat this process with almost any of the movies mentioned here, using one well-known title as a branching-off point for an entire genre. Ferris Bueller's Day Off yields Sixteen Candles and the Breakfast Club. Usual Suspects yields Fargo and Mulholland Drive.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Did we talk about Hitchcock? Because we should have:
    The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Notorious
    Rebecca
    Vertigo

Those are the 5 best of his that you must see.
    Fixed that up for you a bit

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    What Pandora is for telling you about other bands similar to your musical tastes, the Netflix queue is for developing lists of movies to watch. Or more specifically the movies it recommends once you pick something to add.

If the town/city where he's attending college is anything like the one where I went to school, the local video rental store will have a pretty varied selection. I was an avid fan of their indy/foreign section and I managed to find quite a few excellent movies (Rashomon, White Dragon, The Samurai Trilogy, Mirror Mask, etc.)

guar on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Makershot wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Did we talk about Hitchcock? Because we should have:
    The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Notorious
    Rebecca
    Vertigo

Those are the 5 best of his that you must see.
    Fixed that up for you a bit

This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

I will give you Notorious though, it's good.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png