As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Congrats I haven't seen anyone beat that one yet.
    It was pretty hairy. If I hadn't had some good rolls in the beginning which wiped out the active genestealers I probably wouldn't have made it as far as I did. I also had real good luck with the heavy flamer, taking out two or three genestealers with each shot, and blocking them from advancing directly on my surviving terminators. It really came down to the last turn, and having four command points to carry me through. It I hadn't mangaged to blow that door down, then it would've been luck alone that saw me survive to see another turn.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So has anyone had experience with the new Leman Russ kits? I have plenty of tanks already, but I was thinking of adding another three, since I can field tons now. What's the word on how easy/hard it is to swap between types of Russ?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @People who have played Space Hulk already: How long does a game take to play, give or take?

@PolloDiablo: I've got the old three leman russ tank box that I'm trying to get rid of, all new on sprue.... It won't have the new turrets, but it'll be three tank bodies pretty cheap, and you might be able to built the turrets you want from bits or something. Just offering it as an option :) Send me a PM if you're interested

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Space Hulk came today!
    sadly I have to go to work and woke up late

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So has anyone had experience with the new Leman Russ kits? I have plenty of tanks already, but I was thinking of adding another three, since I can field tons now. What's the word on how easy/hard it is to swap between types of Russ?

The new Demolisher/Executioner/Punisher is a really great kit. Very easy to assemble with little to no problems. The guns can be swapped out with almost no modification. If you're anal about it a pin or magnet will make the guns more secure.

*edit* Genestealers are now all assembled. Going to start painting tomorrow. Probably start on the door frames then start on the marines.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Well nobody in their right minds fields more than 3. 4 maybe, but that's pushing it. Yes an army can field 9 tanks total, but it's utterly foolish to do more than 3 or 4. Far too many weaknesses and limitations. If you already got the 3 or 4 chassis, I recommend looking for just the punisher/executioner guns so you can swap them in and out without having to buy more chassis you won't use.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    @People who have played Space Hulk already: How long does a game take to play, give or take?
    It took about 45 minutes to complete the first mission, and things moved along at a pretty even clip.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TheBog wrote: »

Well nobody in their right minds fields more than 3. 4 maybe, but that's pushing it. Yes an army can field 9 tanks total, but it's utterly foolish to do more than 3 or 4. Far too many weaknesses and limitations. If you already got the 3 or 4 chassis, I recommend looking for just the punisher/executioner guns so you can swap them in and out without having to buy more chassis you won't use.

Well, nobody's ever accused me of being in my right mind. I'll look into the guns, though. I just checked the website, does GW not do bitz anymore? They only seem to have a few.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Space Hulk is only in stores now. No more ordering from the GW sites in UK/US.

I can't find the link, but it's there.

Also, I have my Space Hulk! 2nd also, I cut a deal for an extra set of Space Hulk Terms for $45!

Bonus Round - I broke my hand on Sunday, hand surgery on it today and can't use my right hand!

There sits my Hulk Hawtness, and I can't even take a mini of the sprue. :x

That took 5 minutes to type and correct.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    TalonZahn wrote: »

Also, I have my Space Hulk! 2nd also, I cut a deal for an extra set of Space Hulk Terms for $45!

Bonus Round - I broke my hand on Sunday, hand surgery on it today and can't use my right hand!

There sits my Hulk Hawtness, and I can't even take a mini of the sprue.

C'mere, you need a hug.
    assterms002-1.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

SJ, any luck on your end?

Yes! Played against Mike twice last night as the marines, once as the 'stealers. First time I lost on turn three after some terrible rolls. Mostly though it was poor stacking at the beginning though, on my part. And mike played the stealers pretty well. Second game was way better, though.

The key to that first mission is moving as fast as fucking possbile. Hopefully you can get 4+ CP on the first turn as the marines so you can ensure everyone can move 5 squares on the first turn. Anyways, I think the proper stacking order for that mission is F -> B: SB, Serg, SB, Flamer, SB

First guy opens the door and moves forward 4 spaces, firing at the door in front of him with every single movement, so you don't slow yourself down trying to open up that door AND it means that if any 'stealers wanna come in from that far entry point they're now in LOS and must reveal before coming onto the board. The serg and other stormbolters must make sure to try and fire at the door to the right of your entry point to hopefully blow it open on the first or second turn. Last stormbolter guy gets left as overwatch in that first room and should blow open that southern door in the second turn if you couldn't do it on the first. He stays put unless your opponent completely gives up on flanking you (which he shouldn't be dumb enough to do).

As your advance along the next hallway, the first SB and Serg break left and literally just run and gun down that hallway using as many command points as you can to open up some space so you won't have to worry about getting assaulted for a turn. Middile SB guy goes on overwatch down the main corridor. Flamer guy follows them left down the hallway but puts a template down that main corridor to try and delay stealers for a turn if your duder on overwatch gets killed so a 'stealer can't jump in and kill him while he's going down that hallway and vulnerable. If this happens, the guy guarding the first room will have to come up and take the overwatch on that hallway if possible (this should be possible, place him intelligently in the main room!).

At this point it's a race against time. You don't want your sergeant to die so you can get decent CPs every turn, that's why he's not leading the charge down the hallway. Be smart about sustained fire and overwatch - move one + shoot, sustained fire, move on +shoot, sustained fire. Then use command points to go on overwatch, or if you can create a decent hole in the 'stealers, keep shooing down the hall.

This is basically the plan I used, although some of it is lessons in restrospect, as I had my sergeant lead the charge down the left hallway and although he killed a good number of stealers he eventually died, and some shitty CP draws left me moving really slowly for a few turns. My flamer guy at one point had a genestealer in his face who didn't have the points to attack and it took me TWO flamer rounds (a whole turn, argh, I was not happy :P) to kill the fucker right before he broke left down the hallway (one genestealer, argh!).

My SB at the end of the line killed a holy shitload of genestealers while on overwatch but eventually had to come up with the main force to watch the long hallway, as my original overwatcher got mulched by a stealer, and since that meant my flamer was now vulnerable to being flanked, I had no other option. That guy ended up dying on one of the last turns. My one remaining SB & flamer powered down the left hallway right as the 'stealers got to the end of their blip stack and I was fortunate enough to have gotten the SB far enough down the hallway to force his stealers to either lurk on the north entry way, or come in on the southern one (the N/S ones at the far right side of the board, that is, not the ones at the far bottom of the board). This stalled the stealers enough (one turn, really, but that was enough) so that my flamer could make a break for the objective room.

Unfortunately, this is when the lack of sergeant kicked my ass. Two turns in a row I grabbed 1 and 2 CPs, not enough to actually get to the room, open the door and flame it in one turn. So I had the flamer back up one space at at time for two turns firing at the intersection just south of the objective room. Then on the last turn, I was close enough to the door so that even with 1 CP (I drew a 5, heh) I was able to turn, move, open the door and flamer the objective.

With the very last flamer shot, with my very last marine

Hell yeah.

We also played the second mission, exterminate, but that one is WAY less difficult for the marines, though mike didn't play the stealers as well as he could have in that mission. Finished that mission with 3 marines left (thanks to a lucky combat for me in the last turn) with all the stealers dead. The assault cannon is fucking brutal as hell.

SJ on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    C'mere, you need a hug.
    assterms002-1.jpg

But I want to hug the LC guy in the SH box!

TY for the pity hug though. :winky:

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well he's not painted yet, but I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.

I'm highly amused by the fact that after priming them gray, I base-coated the BA red, and the GS dark blue, so that you really can't tell they've had any paint applied at all. They terminators are all magnetically mounted though, so huzzah for that. I don't think I'm going to have enough magnets to finish the stealers, I'm going to have to order more...

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel like such a GW consumer whore. I have 4 armies sitting here in various states of uncompletion, a slowly growing pile of unassembled boxed sets and I STILL bought space hulk.

Oh man those SH mini's look awesome. I can't wait!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone know about how long delivery takes for GW's "priority express" shipping

Cause I ordered space hulk just before they ran out and wondered when I should expect it.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I ordered Space Hulk on release day but specified delivery to my LGS to collect it on Saturday, I hope it will actually be there when I turn up. :(

Edit: are the missions re-workings of the original missions or all-new ones, by the way?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TalonZahn wrote: »

There sits my Hulk Hawtness, and I can't even take a mini of the sprue.

C'mere, you need a hug.
    assterms002-1.jpg

HAHA i laughed so hard i choked on my oj looking at that.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    C'mere, you need a hug.
    assterms002-1.jpg

Technically, this would be a Tactical Dreadnought-armored hug. :winky:

edit: Stupid smiley.

Mago on
    Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Man, I ordered Space Hulk on release day but specified delivery to my LGS to collect it on Saturday, I hope it will actually be there when I turn up. :(

Edit: are the missions re-workings of the original missions or all-new ones, by the way?

I've only ever used the standard shipping option for GW orders, and I've consistently received my items in about 3 days.

Skullo on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    The first one is certainly a classic that I remember from 2nd edition space hulk. Not sure about the rest.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What do you mean you can no longer order them online

Does GW hate money? Do they realized they released this shit right when college kids are going back to school and buying $500 worth of books? And it's up for order for a /week?!/

I shall send their ass to Khorne

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Skullo, Dayspring.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Does GW hate money? Do they realized they released this shit right when college kids are going back to school and buying $500 worth of books? And it's up for order for a /week?!/

Man, Khorne doesn't want their asses. He wants their blood.

Send the asses to Slaneesh. S/he'll get some mileage out of them.

see317 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So my main board game buddy's copy of Space Hulk arrived. So pumped.

This gives me an excuse to look at Games Workshop 40k minis to make a little custom 12-man squad just for chuckles. There are a lot of flavorful dudes in the lineup. I kind of like the look of the Tau, and there's the basic 12 man fire team which would work and be pretty cheap as an all-in-one solution. The stealth suits look bulkier and like a more fitting replacement for the feel of those Terminators, but I don't know if I want to bother spending that much for something that will only get so much use. I also really like those Eldar warp spiders, but kind of the same problem. Hmmm.

I need to go buy painting supplies. These will need to be painted, then there's my Doom minis, Memoir 44 pieces, Shadows Over Camelot player pieces ...

edit: I don't know what I would ever use them for, but I really want an excuse to buy those Bloodletter of Khorne guys. They look awesome.

desc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    see317 wrote: »

Man, Khorne doesn't want their asses. He wants their blood.

Send the asses to Slaneesh. S/he'll get some mileage out of them.

ASS FOR THE ASS THRONE

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

They were limited release... Estimates from around the intertubes put them at between 75k and 100k.

They will sell all of them regardless of what time of year it is :P If they were a constant stock item, then they wouldn't sell as quickly, because everyone would know they can get them whenever, and GW wouldn't make as much money

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited September 2009

They were limited release... Estimates from around the intertubes put them at between 75k and 100k.
    Limited release during the time of the year when their target demographic is most strapped for cash.

Between pricing it at a hundred fucking dollars and doing a "limited release" when they sure as shit are going to do another run down the line anyway to recoup the cost for manufacturing the molds they are mostly just being assholes.
    If they were a constant stock item, then they wouldn't sell as quickly, because everyone would know they can get them whenever, and GW wouldn't make as much money
    Only if you presume they wouldn't sell more than their limited run. It makes the money faster but it is almost certain that they make less over time.

It'd also be totally awesome if they had a store closer than five hours away from me now that they've closed down the Memphis Battle Bunker. Even the closest FLGS is like two hours away.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You can't order from GW direct, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the online sellers are still going to have copies up for grabs. It looks like the last copies of the game are going to be gone by Christmas, so I'd say the marketing strategy for this was a pretty big success.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

They will sell all of them regardless of what time of year it is :P If they were a constant stock item, then they wouldn't sell as quickly, because everyone would know they can get them whenever, and GW wouldn't make as much money

bloodthirsty bastards, they are khornites

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oh hey warhammer thread

something came from the post today
    photo6.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    And the greatest threat to the Imperium
    Canisaurus Rex
    photo.jpg

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Those are some very Christmas-y Tau.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tau are so gay

:D

SJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Tau are so gay

:D
    You say that like it's a bad thing :winky:

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome doggy.
    The tau are ok I suppose, but I don't see any kroot there.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yup
    khornedice.jpg

How the hell can I get dice like that?

EDIT: Great top page post.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Space hulk is here!

yay!

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The computer game or the board game?

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Limited release during the time of the year when their target demographic is most strapped for cash.

Between pricing it at a hundred fucking dollars and doing a "limited release" when they sure as shit are going to do another run down the line anyway to recoup the cost for manufacturing the molds they are mostly just being assholes.
    If they were a constant stock item, then they wouldn't sell as quickly, because everyone would know they can get them whenever, and GW wouldn't make as much money
    Only if you presume they wouldn't sell more than their limited run. It makes the money faster but it is almost certain that they make less over time.

It'd also be totally awesome if they had a store closer than five hours away from me now that they've closed down the Memphis Battle Bunker. Even the closest FLGS is like two hours away.

Their target demographic is nerds with lots of disposable income. This doesn't include many college kids.

And making money faster means they can invest it faster.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    A spike in incoming revenue also raises stocks (I dunno if GW is publicly traded or not). The benefits there are obvious. If they are not traded, it still boosts their real and percieved worth with the other companies that they deal with, which put them in a better position to continue to put out quality product that supports their main lines (lotr, wfb, 40k)

Nax on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New IG FAQ up on GW's site.

This is of special note as it clarifies pretty much everything in question. (Orders, Master of Ordinance + Mortar, and Inducted guard in Inquisition lists.)

Also Deathstrike nor confirmed as having unlimited range with no center (Everything in the blast range gets hit at full strength!)

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork