As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good PS3 controller?

turpentyineturpentyine Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Just bought a PS3 slim on Newegg, and need to buy a second controller. Should I just get another one made by Sony or is there something better out there?

turpentyine on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Something important to ask would be "are you happy with the ps3 dual shock"

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Call of Duty: MW2 ones look like they'll be pretty good, but they don't have rumble (!)

I don't think any of the 3rd party controllers are "better," just different. And all require an RF dongle to work, as far as I know.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I feel that its not that comfortable

turpentyine on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This one is pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Zero-Wireless-Controller-colors-3/dp/B000LD3S5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1252004521&sr=8-1

The pictures don't really show, but the handles are much longer. Proper triggers, and bumpers, it shares some similarities with a 360 controller. They can be found cheap - come with a rechargable battery pack as well as the option to use AA batteries, a long usb cord, and it has sixaxis and rumble. Concave triggers and sticks too.

If the DS3 isn't great for you, this is the only other decent option I've found so far.

EDIT: Like all 3rd parties, it does use a usb receiver.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    turpentyine on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

it's best buy in house brand, so:

1. it'll break real quick

2. returning it should be easy.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    This one is pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Zero-Wireless-Controller-colors-3/dp/B000LD3S5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1252004521&sr=8-1

The pictures don't really show, but the handles are much longer. Proper triggers, and bumpers, it shares some similarities with a 360 controller. They can be found cheap - come with a rechargable battery pack as well as the option to use AA batteries, a long usb cord, and it has sixaxis and rumble. Concave triggers and sticks too.

If the DS3 isn't great for you, this is the only other decent option I've found so far.

I think ill get this one then. Thanks guys.

turpentyine on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That looks like a thing of beauty. The sticks are where god intended them to be, and it's bluetooth? Can't tell, but I'd hope it has concave triggers? I'm curious of the build quality. I bought one Rocketfish thing before, and it wasn't bad. Still, this is pricey.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just as a heads-up, as of firmware 3.0 being released, people have been reporting that some knockoff and 3rd party controllers have stopped working.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/03/ps3-firmware-3-0-locking-out-knock-off-controllers/

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My personal experience with Nyko hasn't been good. They make cheap products that feel cheap and, often times ruin the game's fun.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Keep your eyes out for games + controllers, I regularly see combos for a bunch of popular games, I picked up an extra controller with Little Big Planet.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks guys I already ordered the Nyko one.

turpentyine on
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Im super anal about first party only controllers. Except with my Hori gamepad for my cube. SNES SHMUP goodness

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Im super anal about first party only controllers. Except with my Hori gamepad for my cube. SNES SHMUP goodness

your trespass is easily forgiven, Hori is the final word in high quality nintendo periphs.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

your trespass is easily forgiven, Hori is the final word in high quality nintendo periphs.

It was only 1 for ikaruga, sonic collection, and fighting games. a Real D pad was sorely missed.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've never had the experience of enjoying a 3rd party controller. I just dang wish I could use a 360 controller on the ps3 without extensive modding.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well got my Nyko. It works with the latest ps3 firmware. Still not that comfortable though.

turpentyine on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Fuck apparently the one they are selling here which is the one I got is some early version that doesnt have rumble support. Thats why its so cheap. It wasnt mentioned anywhere on the page. Gonna try to return it.

turpentyine on