As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spawn

FeefaitFeefait Registered User new member
edited September 2009 in Graphic Violence
Does anyone still read this? Does anyone care? I think I am the only one in my local (small) comic shop who even buys it. And I am not exactly looking forward to each issue these days. I read it from day 1 to about 50, where it just got stupid (imo). I was so psyched to see Portacio on it and McFarlane back that I had to start up again.

But i seem to be the only one. I see no reviews of new spawn comics, no discussions, no excitement. Now granted, this new run does make some thigns abundantly clear. McFarlane is a ahck writerr and the Spawn concept, once so cool and fresh has seen it's better days.

What does everyone think of Spawn these days?

Feefait on

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I read 100 issues of Spawn once

I have done many many stupid things, some more stupid than others

Pretty sure that was the dumbest

Me Too! on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Isn't Spawn done?
    I thought he killed god and satan and took over the universe or something then they ended the series (because really, where do you go from there?).

I had some of the trades they put out. I think I may still have them somewhere...

see317 on
    edited September 2009
    Wiki says it's still going

Me Too! on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I read 1-50 on it's original run, then just stopped getting comics for a while.

When I got back into them, I wikied Spawn and read what had occured in the rest of the issues.

Talking about jumping the shark. The comic went some retarded places.

Kyougu on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    Isn't Spawn done?
    I thought he killed god and satan and took over the universe or something then they ended the series

I'm with this guy. Not that I ever read it, but why pick it up now? You beat God and Satan and you're done. Anything after that is just milking the label.

Endless_Serpents on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spawn got rebooted recently, and it's had some really great issues, with a whole new guy taking on the role of Spawn - Al Simmons used his powers to finally kill himself. McFarlane started writing it again, and they've basically dumped all of the old continuity, at least for now. I know this is like saying shit doesn't smell TOO bad, but Spawn is better now that it has been in the past 160 issues. And yes, I've kept reading all this time.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    That's like saying something isn't as bad as the Holocaust

Or that someone's hat isn't quite as silly as the pope's

Me Too! on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Spawn got rebooted recently, and it's had some really great issues, with a whole new guy taking on the role of Spawn - Al Simmons used his powers to finally kill himself. McFarlane started writing it again, and they've basically dumped all of the old continuity, at least for now. I know this is like saying shit doesn't smell TOO bad, but Spawn is better now that it has been in the past 160 issues. And yes, I've kept reading all this time.

Are Sam and Twitch back in this new reboot? I caught a trade from their spin-off series and it wasn't too bad - had a Gotham Central feel with your typical Spawn/X-Files weirdness.

Slagmire on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only Spawn related thing I ever saw was the live action movie with Martin Sheen.

...my god, Martin, did you lose a bet?

emnmnme on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    my spawn pogs were the bomb.

Angry on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hensler you are not my dad

get rid of that title

also the only good things to come from Spawn were Bendis' Sam and Twitch an the HBO series

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    every season the animation just got so much better.

finish the damn series proper hbo.

Angry on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Spawn toys when the series first came out were pretty awesome. The detail and everything was so much better than the ToyBiz X-Men figures or the WildCATS figures.

There was one Spawn toy where he was like Punisher Spawn and had big Nick Fury/Cable type guns and that was kewl.

Also, Greg Capullo is always a good artist. It kind of sucks that he was a monthly artist but McFarlane was so slow with the series it still got delayed.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »

Are Sam and Twitch back in this new reboot? I caught a trade from their spin-off series and it wasn't too bad - had a Gotham Central feel with your typical Spawn/X-Files weirdness.

Yeah, Sam and Twitch have had a few panels since the reboot, but were the main characters in #193, which was also Greg Capullo's return to the series. And they were as awesome as they used to be.

Hensler on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I saw the one-word thread title "Spawn" and immediately thought the one-word reply "No."

desc on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really liked Greg Capullo's art on X-Force in the 90s. I was sad when he moved over and started emulating McFarlane's

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Isn't Spawn done?
    I thought he killed god and satan and took over the universe or something then they ended the series

I'm with this guy. Not that I ever read it, but why pick it up now? You beat God and Satan and you're done. Anything after that is just milking the label.

This was the only Spawn anything I ever read.

I thought that was End game material there, where they pulled out all the stops. It still kind of sucked, but whatever, at least it was over.

And then it's still going? Really?

Godfather on
    edited September 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Isn't Spawn done?
    This was the only Spawn anything I ever read.
    I thought that was End game material there, where they pulled out all the stops. It still kind of sucked, but whatever, at least it was over.
    And then it's still going? Really?
    I suppose if DC can keep Superboy Prime around after he delivered a retcon punch to the entire multiverse continuity, we shouldn't be suprised that Image kept the Spawn idea around and active. I mean, all he did was kill god and satan, surely there are interesting places to go from there.

...Man, a retcon punch. Now that would have been one to use for the "Hard to draw powers" contest. Wish I had thought of it a week ago.

see317 on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What retcon punch are you talking about?

Lucascraft on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A whole fuckton of retcons for one of DCs big crossover events were caused by superboy prime punching the multiverse, which caused fractures in it and retconned crap.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So if I'm reading the Wiki right...

This new Spawn is the guy who Spawn turned into briefly when he tried to look human at the start of the series? White guy with red hair?

Cause that's hilarious if it's right.

Kyougu on
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What retcon punch are you talking about?
    Don't want to get too off topic here, but this one:
    Primepunch.PNG
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Furious, Superboy-Prime pounds on the barrier of reality. This assault causes ripples that alter reality, which is used as an explanation for character changes and retcons in DC continuity.
    These changes include:
    • Jason Todd's return.
    • Superman's multiple origins, including The Man of Steel and Superman: Birthright, combining.
    • The Doom Patrol's rebooting as new characters, including Elasti-Girl.
    • Donna Troy's multiple origins after the first Crisis.
    • Various incarnations of Hawkman.
    • The different incarnations of the Legion of Super-Heroes since the first Crisis.
    As a result of these actions, "punching time", and "retcon punch" have come to be internet and comic-book fan slang for retcons and changes to canon that do not make popular sense.

see317 on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Still buying Spawn myself. Mainly it's habit, but I am interested in where they're going with this new reboot. The whole Armageddon arc was absolutely terrible and discounted pretty much everything we'd ever learned about the nature of the Spawn universe and the mythos of heaven and hell that had been built up for 150 issues. Everything after Armageddon and up to the reboot was terrible stories and art. Even my interest is starting to wane at this point, but I'll hang in there for a few more months since issue 200 is coming up. I'll see what happens after that.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I collected 1-where the heck he started doing out of order stuff (20ish?) Even then the series was falling apart and it was amazingly clear that even mcfarlane didnt know where the title was going and was at the time stalling for time.

As far as reboots go I find it amazingly difficult to believe that they can achieve that perpetual arc that feeds so many popular comics, any time a 'cool' idea might crop up it will get latched onto and beaten to a horrible unidentifable pulp that makes you wonder wtf you were doing reading it in the first place.

I worry that it will only further anger what is left of the fan base.

farbekrieg on
  • FeefaitFeefait Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I think the problem with Spawn currently is that 1. it is a concept that has outlived its coolness and b. it is everything people hated about Image.(aside formt he missed deadlines so far)

It is all minimal story and script and big splash pages and overdramatic panels. The problem with THAT being that MCfarlane, in addition to tearing up the writing is also inking and it kills any subtelty or detail Portacio has put in. All the characters look like Jae Lee has beens. The "new" Spawn is turning into basically the old Spawn... like Todd really has no new ideas. A secret (govt I think) agent with no memory, a mysterious past, a secret agency trying to catch him, Wanda, Violator, Sam & Twitch all knowing more than him or trying to figure it out...

At one point there is a reporter trying to figure out the strange events and he gets an anonymous phone call that tells him if he values his life and family to drop it and blah blah blah. The mysterious voice then proceeds to explain just about everything and tell the reporter where he could go to get hsi answers, but of course only by ignoring the previous warning. It's like a bad mob movie tied into a silly super hero... with clowns and vampires.

lol I really meant to SELL this comic here. Promote some interest. But honestly I can;t do it. Unless in the next 3 or 4 issue sit turns way around, I can't imagine the title even continuing to be printed.

Feefait on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I liked the initial idea: using a power-sources that is unquestionably evil, even to do good, lead inevitably to being damned forever and undoing what good you've managed to create.

Every other aspect of the comic was pretty silly, even when I was 11.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the thing I remember being cool when I was young was the idea of him having a definitely finite power supply, like a battery, that was eventually going to run out. I think they even used symbols between panels to represent it (in a totally ambiguous way that never actually nailed down how much power he was using/how much he had left).

I assume he eventually overcame this limitation, but I never really read more than a couple of spawn comics.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited September 2009
    They did and he did

Started at 9:9:9 and ticked down to 0

The reason Cog was still around was because he had 1 tick of power left (remember he's been around for a couple thousand years, he's Cain) and thus hadn't been returned to Hell

When Al took over Hell he was no longer bound by fuck I know too much gonna shoot myself now

Me Too! on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Actually started out at 9:9:9:9 and long before he took over Hell he was given an extension that stopped that countdown from happening. I think it was around the time of his costume change.

KyleWPeterson on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The thing (I mean one of the things) I always found completely strange about Spawn was that, in the Batman crossover, Batman nails him in the face with a Batarang. They then carried the split face thing over to the main continuity.

It was like McFarlane was unwilling to let the fact that Spawn had met Batman go. Even though it didn't make for much sense in the main continuity.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2009
    I thought he got his face split somewhere else along the line in the main book, at around the same time, and that was when he stitched it up with a shoelace

I mean it's been a year since I read it but

Me Too! on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone read this? I'm kind of intrigued to see Bendis and Wood on Spawn.

While I'm at it, how was the Sam and Twitch stuff Bendis did?

I'm feeling kind of nostalgic and want to revisit the Spawn universe, but without reading anything from the main Spawn series.

Munch on
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really loved the HBO spawn. IMO Spawn was really good for a while, but started spinning out after a while. I like the original concept, but the details of heaven and hell got really, really stupid, the story lost the point it had, etc etc. The HBO animation was really the setting I loved for Spawn. If they could somehow reboot into that it could be pretty sweet.

Mugaaz on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The PS1 Spawn game. BLARGH

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I really loved the HBO spawn. IMO Spawn was really good for a while, but started spinning out after a while. I like the original concept, but the details of heaven and hell got really, really stupid, the story lost the point it had, etc etc. The HBO animation was really the setting I loved for Spawn. If they could somehow reboot into that it could be pretty sweet.

The only problem I had with the HBO setting was that Spawn would only face 1 serious man vs. man conflict per season and it was invariably very early in the season (Overkill, chapel, that vampire chick). Every other time he fought it was with a handful of utter scrubs more or less to fill space in the season.

Gaddez on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Has anyone read this? I'm kind of intrigued to see Bendis and Wood on Spawn.

While I'm at it, how was the Sam and Twitch stuff Bendis did?

I'm feeling kind of nostalgic and want to revisit the Spawn universe, but without reading anything from the main Spawn series.

Bendis' Sam and Twitch is rad as hell

It is just plain supernatural crime comics

however the art in the first volume is insane and bendis does an entire splash page of tiny panels of heads talking

there must be 32 panels of heads talking on a two page splash

it is insane

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg