As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STAR WARS GALAXIES

• BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, apparently SWG is getting zombies..
    http://kotaku.com/5358452/six-years-too-late-star-wars-galaxies-gets-interesting

I'm about the farthest thing from a SW EU nerd possible, but.. really? Does the star wars universe even have zombies in it?

Birudojin on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wh

I

How

I have no idea how to process what I'm seeing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am playing SWG again for a bit, judge me all you wish, I am re-visiting my old server Bria and I wanted to see how it was.

But even if I end up playing this for longer than one payment, I am quitting as soon as TOR is within reasonable release distance.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like a Hail Mary pass to me. TOR will obviously be the final nail in the coffin of SWG. The whole zombie thing seems like their last ditch effort to bring in and/or retain a few fans.

Lucascraft on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Birudojin wrote: »
    So, apparently SWG is getting zombies..
    http://kotaku.com/5358452/six-years-too-late-star-wars-galaxies-gets-interesting

I'm about the farthest thing from a SW EU nerd possible, but.. really? Does the star wars universe even have zombies in it?

Short answer: On occasion.

Directly linked from Wookiepedia:
    Zombies.jpg

Honestly, this isn't even a thing. SWG of late tries to focus on doing relatively frequent updates and events, even if those community events aren't usually all that good (Empire's Day, for example). A star wars book is coming out, and seems to be a zombie horror story of some sort. Gamers like killing zombies, or at least, don't usually mind killing zombies. They're just putting two and two together.

The player-created missions and galactic civil war overhaul are still scheduled to go in first, so at least they have their priorities somewhat straight.

Dizzen on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To further reminisce about the glory days of SWG:

I remember at the very beginning that you couldn't understand the speech of every other race. Most races knew their language and maybe basic. I thought it was so awesome at the beginning that everyone had to have translators and such. Also the secret Lekku language of the Twi'leks was cool.

I went for months refusing to learn other languages because it was so immersive and cool.

ObiFett on
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I'm trying to play the trial for this game, since it's Star Wars and free.

Does the station launcher/updater just not work or something? Because I let it go for about 9 hours while I was at work and it didn't really do anything.

Etch on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    To further reminisce about the glory days of SWG:

I remember at the very beginning that you couldn't understand the speech of every other race. Most races knew their language and maybe basic. I thought it was so awesome at the beginning that everyone had to have translators and such. Also the secret Lekku language of the Twi'leks was cool.

I went for months refusing to learn other languages because it was so immersive and cool.

definitely awesome.

actually when i first played, i was a human and my friend rolled a wookie, so he taught me wookie, which was badass.

later we had ended up with him joining the rebel faction and i joined the imperial, so we started barfights and stuff all the time. good times.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the language things was pretty awesome, especially when you're new and you encounter other players chatting it up as AWRRRWROOOHWOHWWAARRRWOHWOH

also that new SWG update is a joke, I wonder what's going on in the small heads of SOE these days. well, at least we got a really sweet ass promotional picture out of it

Asamof the Horrible on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am playing right now, got into a guild on my old server from the launch days of SWG.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome concept that played out in many enjoyable ways for me early on. I quit about six months after release due to my then budding career.

I recently took up the free trial and was surprised at how badly this engine has aged. I was also let down by the changes to the class system; the old progression model was so unique and intuitive, the new is a very near-sighted WoW clone in my opinion.

An aside, the game was a grueling grind then, I didn't stick around long enough to find out if it still is.

Teth on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Etch wrote: »
    So I'm trying to play the trial for this game, since it's Star Wars and free.

Does the station launcher/updater just not work or something? Because I let it go for about 9 hours while I was at work and it didn't really do anything.

I downloaded the trial and played it a bit last week, and had zero problems with the download through the station launcher.

That said, I got maybe 2 hours in on the trial and decided that I really did not like that new main quest line, and also really, really hated the changes to classes and skills/levels introduced since my playing days (pretty much at launch, for less than 6 months). Oh well.

Ketar on
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got the dumb thing to update through the Star Wars Galaxies launcher itself, so now it seems to be working. My computer must not like the station launcher. Apparently there's a difference between the Station Launcher and the Station LaunchPad.

Etch on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember loot drops being horrible for the first few months. Almost everything that dropped was worth maybe 5 credits, and can only be sold to a junk vender. What was even worse were the NPCs in town that would give you quest across the planet before vehicles existed, and your reward was a broken mouse droid wheel.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Uphill both ways, and we liked it, damnit!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Uphill both ways, and we liked it, damnit!
    *master scout

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, reading this thread is like listening to a grief counseling group session.

Almost makes me want to play the game, but I'm not ready for loss in my life.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    this game back in the day.

I was a master bounty hunter with the slug thrower, one of a few bullet firing weapons in the game. They go pew pew, my gun loudly barked hot lead. Can't even remember the guild I was in but I had a corner house in the park district. Yes the player made town had about 6 city blocks of houses. Various other buildings throughout.

And how awesome was the housing?

It was an awesome sandbox back in the day...

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played this game at launch for like 4 months. It had a lot of great ideas and I liked how unforgiving it was to new players. I remember I took part in one of the first raids on a tuskan raider camp and snagged one of their rifles. I've never been more pumped for a drop than I was for that one.

Smurph on
  • BrassBrass Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Man, if I could hop on a "classic" SWG server I probably would right now. Just for old times sake. Wish someone would redo this idea. . . only better.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, since I haven't finished reading the entire thread but....
    SWGEmu.com

Brass on
  • bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    I played this game at launch for like 4 months. It had a lot of great ideas and I liked how unforgiving it was to new players. I remember I took part in one of the first raids on a tuskan raider camp and snagged one of their rifles. I've never been more pumped for a drop than I was for that one.

See, now the GAME was TERRIBLY unforgiving to newbies. But in my experience, the community made up for this. (Early) SWG had one of the most mature, helpful, and newbie friendly online communities I have ever come in contact with. And I played on Bria, which had a rep of being one of the snobbier servers. My first night in game was spent running around the outskirts of Kor Vella prospecting minerals with one of the top Architects from beta. She took me under her wing and taught me a ton. I literally ran around with her for hours. Even lent me some dough, so I could invest in some wind harvesters to start generating some income. I probably paid her back a hundred fold in housing-related purchases in the months to follow.

The apprenticeship system this game tried to implement was very interesting also. I wish more games would try to pull that off.

bejeavis on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Brass wrote: »
    Man, if I could hop on a "classic" SWG server I probably would right now. Just for old times sake. Wish someone would redo this idea. . . only better.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, since I haven't finished reading the entire thread but....
    SWGEmu.com

How many years has it been since that project has gone anywhere? People keep holding it up like it will somehow save SWG, but it's relevance is long since faded from even the meager promise it showed in years gone by.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • BrassBrass Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

SWGEmu.com

How many years has it been since that project has gone anywhere? People keep holding it up like it will somehow save SWG, but it's relevance is long since faded from even the meager promise it showed in years gone by.

Lol, have you even visited the site? They update it frequently and have an actual direction now. Before they were just a couple people with a "wouldn't it be cool" idea but now they have an actual team and leadership.

Read the stuff under their 'Experience' section about them. The servers are up and playable aaaaand stable.

Brass on
    edited September 2009
    I remember walking into a cantina like three days after release and seeing someone wearing a gunman's duster. This was back before anyone could craft anything better than a cloth shirt

I was all like "holy shit man what is that"

And the dancing wookiee was all like "this is my pimp coat"

In awe, I asked "where'd you get it"

And the wookiee, continuing his fevered gyrations said "got it as a loot drop off one of the corsec rogues" or whatever those low level banditos were

I must have farmed those guys for like an hour hoping to get one of those things

Ah, the early days were something special

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember that the best part of SWG I thought, was how dancing and playing music weren't completely useless and served somewhat of a purpose, and if you put on a show people gave you money for being awesome.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    well it was like the only way to heal a black bar in your blue bar

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At one point in galaxies, I got so rich from treasure hunting/bounty hunting, and so awesome at PvP, i would play 1million credits for anyone to duel me to the death. Thats 1 mil to duel. They got another 4 if they won.

I also remember that when holocron grinding was so bad, it was near impossible to find a dancer/musician who wasnt on a macro loop. When I did, I tipped them atleast 7 digits.

Bein the master of unlikely character templates.

Teras Kasi Master, plus master creature handler.

Fighting Jedi with my custom vibro knucklers, the strongest on the server. Found some +25 damage motors, even better than Nightsister vibro motors, I believe. Had my personal weaponsmith pop them in a set of VK. Then got it damage sliced (20% damage bonus, woo)

Then killin jedi with my cats. Nightstalkers I think. Or something. I dunno.

CangoFett on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

SWGEmu.com

Lol, have you even visited the site? They update it frequently and have an actual direction now. Before they were just a couple people with a "wouldn't it be cool" idea but now they have an actual team and leadership.

Read the stuff under their 'Experience' section about them. The servers are up and playable aaaaand stable.
    Too bad that nostalgia aside, pre-CU SWG was pretty terrible.

I mean "rawr they added levels to the game by assigning a number to a game mechanic that was previously behind the scenes." but they got rid of the really, really retarded shit like un-hittable TKM/Fencers and other retarded flavors of the month, buffs that inflated your HAM pools by about a hundredfold, and combat medics and riflemen being ridiculous PVP gods because they were the only classes that could target the mind pool, which normally couldn't be healed outside of a cantina.

Now that I think of it, fuck the HAM system.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The later implemented TURKEY system was much more successful and balanced.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited September 2009

SWGEmu.com

I mean "rawr they added levels to the game by assigning a number to a game mechanic that was previously behind the scenes." but they got rid of the really, really retarded shit like un-hittable TKM/Fencers and other retarded flavors of the month, buffs that inflated your HAM pools by about a hundredfold, and combat medics and riflemen being ridiculous PVP gods because they were the only classes that could target the mind pool, which normally couldn't be healed outside of a cantina.

Protip. TKM/Fencers were defense stackers. They had poor offense.

The guys who could beat them fairly easily? The pistol or rifle stackers, who had poor defense, but a bajillion to pistol accuracy.

the combat upgrade wasnt awful, but wasnt great.

The NGE was awful

CangoFett on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

SWGEmu.com

The only issue pre CU was the unhealable way to die. All they really need to do was to add a universal way to mind heal (other than CM's gimping themselves to do it)

And I'd fight a TKM/Fencer over a Fencer/CM any day of the week.. that shit was hard to beat. Mind tick you away while they dodged and dizzy/kd'd you.

I thought the CU was a decent upgrade to the combat system, whereas the NGE was just so horible it made you wonder what anyone was thinking with it's release.

All just nostalgia now though, the game is dying a slow and painful death, and with the realase of a new SW MMO, I just don't see it surviving, but I could be wrong, it's survied alot longer than most people expected it to.

It will always be my first.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's got to be one of the most retarded-sounding mechanics I've ever heard of. I know they did some goofy shit, but to heal yourself from some sort of raygun wound (I guess that's what it was), you had to go to a bar and listen to space mariachi music? Man what?

GungHo on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

That's got to be one of the most retarded-sounding mechanics I've ever heard of. I know they did some goofy shit, but to heal yourself from some sort of raygun wound (I guess that's what it was), you had to go to a bar and listen to space mariachi music? Man what?

Shit yes

God, I love SWG

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

You could watch aliens dance instead.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, that makes it all better then. I do feel refreshed after going to a titty bar.

GungHo on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Nah. The combat system had some serious issues, yes, but there was a lot more to SWG than just that. The crafting and resource system (best of any MMO to date that I have played, or am even aware of), player housing, creature taming, character flexibility when not confined to classes like most MMOs, and the importance of crafters and entertainers that forced more non-combat player interaction than most MMOs... all made for an enjoyable experience. I had plenty of fun going extended periods without engaging in any combat whatsoever.

The game was a little too sandboxy for most people, and could have used additional content at launch, but it was far from terrible.

Ketar on
    edited September 2009
    Also, even if you didn't have a mind wound, you also accrued something called "battle fatigue" that lowered your effectiveness in battle and could only be reduced by watching a twi'lek shake her headtails or a rodian play some tune on his space-guitar

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Battle fatigue did nothing but make it easier to get your wounds healed

CangoFett on
  • QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seriously, out of everything SWG did wrong with fighting mechanics (and they got most of it wrong) and their action point system, wounds and battle fatigue are the only thing they got close to right.

Recovering from an afternoon of grinding or questing by spending 5 minutes chatting in a cantina kept them busy and fun to visit.

Quetzatcoatl on
    edited September 2009
    I'll admit that, for sure.

Der Waffle Mous on
This discussion has been closed.