As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STAR WARS GALAXIES

• Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Smugglers are just squishy as heck, masters of kiting though. Learn your snares and open with them and run backwards. Or pistol whip them.

In later levels, pets saved my arse more than ever... But its a super expensive investment. A top end pet will run at about 25million - 60 million, depending the server... And take forever to level (A week or so to hit 90 while afk grinding every day... ugh..)

Non point capped pets are a waste IMO, but the new droids that I have been tinkering with really are an improvement. You can use a droid 4 levels above yourself IIRC, so search some bazzars for level 90 droid pets. There should be a few crafted with every combat modules somwhere in the galaxy. Hell on starsider they are selling pure combat capped droids (Cl90) for 400k.

Id also suggest if your just returning to head to a cantina for an entertainer buff, and check mos eisley / Coronet / theed starport for medic buffs. They help alot.

Fatgoat87 on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, that's kind of crappy for Smugglers, since I see no real opportunities for kiting in a lot of these quests considering you're as likely to kite into other mobs or are indoors anyway.

You seem to know quite a bit about the current game, care to give a run down of the classes in their current state?

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Well, that's kind of crappy for Smugglers, since I see no real opportunities for kiting in a lot of these quests considering you're as likely to kite into other mobs or are indoors anyway.

You seem to know quite a bit about the current game, care to give a run down of the classes in their current state?

Heh, I only know what I tinkerd with... That and instances havent changed a bit in over the last year :P

Also, make sure your using armor with either 6000/6000/6000*Battle* protection, 7000/5000/6000*Assault* or 5000/7000/6000*Recon, anything lower isnt worth wearing. And full suits shouldnt be more than out of the 260-750k range.

Smugglers are IMO broken - Next on the revamp list if memory serves rite though..

Bounty hunters are great, Exelent ranged damage options paired with area traps that can change the tide of things for PVE or PVP. They also can hunt anybody down who is on the terminals*

Spy, think WoW rogues on a meth high and a crack withdrawl at the same time. They can gank you before you even notice your health drop. And at the same time are frail little bunnys if spotted to soon... if at all. (Some bounty hunters are known for their seething rants at being unable to detect past a camo stacking spy sitting in a corner afk while the hunter cant collect that 32million bounty on his head.)

Medic - Your girl-friends character, heal jock, buff factory... Greatest solo'er ever.

Jedi - I still refuse to play one since NGE.. I hear they like to RP as sith and dress like hookers and prostitutes.. You know.. Sithy'prostitutes *cough*

Commando - The most fun thing to play, who doesnt like heavy weapons?

Traders.... Self explainitory.

Officers - Kind of like the medic, has great buffs, exelent group support. And any PVP gank fest isnt compleat without them. They also have insane damage potential and can call in air strikes.

Entertainer - 98% are female toons.. 95% of those wear skin-toned exotic leotards when nobodys watching..

--- On a more serious note..

Classes that are working near intended, and fun to play..

Medic - Bounty hunter - Commando - Spy - Officer - Entertainer.

Classes that will waste your time with no-decay and others with years of better resources than you.

Traders

Classes not worth playing untill they give them a reason to live.

Smuggler

Most debated to be broken/fixed/overpowerd/overplayed.

Jedi

--

Also all the combat classes almost feel the same in the end anyway, its all just what kind of 'flavor' you want to have in the end with it.

Terminal missions work like the following for player hunting -

(Jakes system log)
    Goat strikes Jake for 9000!
    Goat deathblows Jake.
    Jake dies!
    --Would you like to place a bounty on Goat? Please enter amount...---

From here a window will pop up asking you to input an ammount to set on the person who deathblowed you. Within 15-30 minutes a mission will be spawned on the terminals anytime that person is online. Any active bounty hunter may pick it up (up to 3 diffrent bounty hunters) and seek him out through the tricks of the trade.

Bounty hunters do not appear hostile to the target untill the bounty hunter strikes first. This is a great chance to play out any sadistic thing you can think of before killing them.

One of my favorites was having a wookiee bounty hunter, rebel faction armor wouldnt show on me due to being a wookiee, but I still had its protection values. So I would have an old Master entertainer badge up over my head, and dance within a popular pvp hotspot on rori (Restuss) - The person would always usualy be there, get killed off at some point, and clone.. Then come out to watch me.

The common responce was 'Going afk while the rez sickness and buff timer ticks.' - "Okay" I would respond, wait a few moments, then pull out my rifle and lay them down rite there for my profit :P Took three weeks untill people caught onto it. I also loved hunting down jedi's who were 'tanking' for random hunt groups against krayts to collect hydrolases for beastmastery, Id wait till an ancient krayt got them to about 50% HP, then unleash a torrent of shots at them and collect...

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    I started a Commando. Actually semi-entertaining. The grenade ability is hilarious on large groups of Tusken Raiders.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    It gets really fun around..... 34 or 42 (worst case, 72?... Minds fuzzy)?... Cant remember wich, but its about the time you get heavy weapons, AOE shots every time, with DOT stacking... Or flamethrowers :P

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    How do you sell junk items? It's been that long.

Jasconius on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Any of you folks playing on Bria?

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    Class stuff.

Actually, new Jedi can catch up pretty quickly. Used to be that if you were an Elder Jedi (Pre NGE), you had inherently better equipment over all the other Jedi that got made post NGE thanks to the bonus items that were given out to Jedi that existed pre NGE. There just wasn't Jedi gear ingame that was as good as the Elder items.

However, people bitched for about two years about how stupid that was, since newer players could never hope to compare to Elder Jedi in PVP or PVE.

To that end, the new(ish) collection system lets players "assemble" their own elite gear, so long as you don't mind literally trekking across an entire galaxy to assemble a kickass lightsaber, or some epic robes. Pretty sure some of the newer stuff is much better then the Elder Robes, too. The only problem with actually getting that gear is that most of the ways to do it is hidden (To the point where if you don't read a guide, you'll probably never find it or even know it exists.), and the amount of time you have to invest into it.

What strikes me as being bullshit, and as being hilarious, is that they only gave out items like that to the Jedi class members. Every other class only got a shitty self-buff, along with a title. The Jedi were also by far the whiniest class in the game, alot of them having an undeserved sense of entitlement since they felt that since they mostly AFK grinded for god knows how long, they were entitled to be unstoppable killing machines.

I suspect that someone at SOE must have put two and two together after all those years and realized that the Jedi class had, by far, the largest group of whiners in the game, giving them those items to help shut them up.

Not that it worked. They bitched about anyone being able to access their precious class instead, along with how it tainted the "integrity" of their class.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    My transfer is on Starsider but is laggy as fuck. I made my Commando on Eclipse and am having a decent time. I like that I don't have to run back to town every 5 seconds to get more quests. Let's see how long the quest content holds out.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Playing on Bria right now, my commando is at level 30.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009
    Also... keep in mind that if your -just starting- / Doing the legacy quest will *stop* around 16-18 when you reach jabbas palace, you have to compleat the themepark (Wich has been revamped and quite honestly is a bit of fun now) before you can continue with the quest line.

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    Also... keep in mind that if your -just starting- / Doing the legacy quest will *stop* around 16-18 when you reach jabbas palace, you have to compleat the themepark (Wich has been revamped and quite honestly is a bit of fun now) before you can continue with the quest line.

Also, the entirety of Jabba's themepark is tedious as fuck, since it was designed for the pre CU era and was just adapted to help pushing people to level 50/60 or so. So brace yourself for a period of extreme apathy toward's the game, if you're looking to enjoy it.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    Still doing Legacy at 30 and it's wearing on me because I really want something else to do, but the guild I am in has been a bit inactive lately.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009
    Also, checking the main website, if you want to play, and haven't tried the game out before, they've got a pretty decent temporary buddy recruitment system on offer.

Players can recruit you to the game, and you'll get an item that instantly boosts you to level 50 on one character. Which, considering how terribly boring the early levels are, is a pretty sweet deal.

In fact, i'm resubbing now to check the game out, so if anyone wants to try the game out and doesn't want to deal with the early bullshit levels, send me a PM and we can try to puzzle through the confusing instructions they've got for this buddy system.

Edit: Apparently the offer expires on October 15th too, reading through the details page.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    Man, I read that as the recruiter getting the level 50 deal, I was excited. :(

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009
    Saiga wrote: »
    Man, I read that as the recruiter getting the level 50 deal, I was excited. :(

Pretty sure we get a level 50 token too, going off of the buddy website. But only if the person being recruited signs up for a month of gameplay.

I could be wrong, though. The details on the buddy page are confusing as hell. Someone got very term-happy on there, with there being a seperate set of rewards listed as "veteran buddy rewards" and "buddy rewards". Not sure who gets what.

Edit: Even if you don't get the token, you can get access to what looks like an absurdly fast vehicle. Apparently you can get a "light-bending Gasgano pod-racer" if the person who you recruits give you the veteran buddy reward token (Which they apparently can't use.).

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    Now I really need to find someone to recruit..

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009
    I don't know, it seems to me that getting plopped into the game world at a medium-high level is actually *hard*. I know personally I feel completely lost with my CU era character who is in his 80's. I have no idea what to do, and no direction.

At least playing a new character I have some vague direction.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    I'm just wanting to get passed this 30-50 stage quickly, I haven't ran any of the instances or anything period since the original SWG.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009
    There should be different content in those levels. I'm using this wiki to find stuff to do.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Content_by_combat_levels

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    I don't know, it seems to me that getting plopped into the game world at a medium-high level is actually *hard*. I know personally I feel completely lost with my CU era character who is in his 80's. I have no idea what to do, and no direction.

At least playing a new character I have some vague direction.

The game starts to open back up into the "fuck around in the world we made for you" sort of gameplay once you hit fifty or so. At ninety, you can literally do anything. It can be daunting, so the best thing to do is find something you want, and shoot for it.

There's also alot of secret stuff to find, gear-wise and content-wise, as the guy who posted about the instances mentioned.

I didn't even know an instanced attack on Mos Espa existed until it was mentioned on the page before this one. Likewise, I knew of people that don't know of Exar Kun's temple, the Tusken Fortress, the Rogue Star Destroyer, or content like that the last time I played.

Depending on the class you have, there's alot of hidden crap you can do too.

Jedi pretty much trump the list on "hidden obtainable crap" as well.

They can go on galaxy-spanning personal, unscripted quests for special/high quality lightsaber crystals, look to try and get the knowledge to build top tier lightsabers, find lore that increases their powers, seek out jedi/sith shrines and temples for the previously mentioned stuff, or just to meditate there and do other neat stuff, hunt down beasts like the Krayt Dragons in hopes of getting a pearl to boost the power output on their lightsaber. The list goes on and on.

I may despise the new, "content fed" version of the game that came around after the NGE came out (The game really isn't the NGE anymore. The NGE was a mess, created by the greed of Smedley, and the FPS loving idiocy of Torres. Both of them were moved off to other projects/quit after they ruined SWG's subscriber numbers.), but I will admit that they've taken massive steps in putting back in elements of the freedom you had in the pre CU era.

Some of the collections you can do for jedi stuff are just epic. We're talking, "go into this ancient sith temple and explore it while dodging deadly monsters" sort of epic. Only the collections that aren't killathons often take you across entire planets in search of ruins or other interesting things.

That being said, starting off at that level of freedom might confuse some people, and some people just enjoy the WoW-esque process of fed content better.

Personally, I prefer to be able to fuck around in the gameworld, so I really like the idea of a level boost token.

Now, if they'd just add effective crackdown squads back in, I could enjoy the GCW again.

There was nothing better then watching a high ranking rebel officer body-packing Spice get pulled over, off of his speeder by an Imperial patrol, then turn hostile to every Imperial player in the vicinity as the soldiers not only identified him as an enemy faction member, but also found him loaded to the gills with highly illegal drugs.

Edit:

It was also pretty entertaining to watch the Vader crackdown event, where Vader drops in on Bestine's town square in a shuttle to give a speech.

The one time I saw it, he casually stepped out of the shuttle, surrounded by troopers, then turned and butchered the ever-loving shit out of a few max level TEF'd rebel Jedi players who were fucking around, challenging lowbie Imperials to fights, before turning around to the assembled players gawking at him, and giving them a rousing speech about Imperial superiority.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    I am not entirely familiar with the Jedi class, how do you choose the dark side?

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009
    Saiga wrote: »
    I am not entirely familiar with the Jedi class, how do you choose the dark side?

There used to be a force ranking system that determined your place in the Jedi or Sith's system of power (IE, Jedi Council, or whatever the Sith had. Rankings gave you more power, and let you advance up to the rank of sitting on the council, in the case of the Jedi. Sith had something similar.), where players on the Jedi side of things elected their leaders, and players on the Sith side of things raised in rank depending on how strong you were, and who you could defeat (IE, if you could defeat so many players or one of the Sith Masters, you'd become a Sith Master. Survival of the fittest and all that.).

Unfortunately, Sony saw the inherent fun in that, and rather then balance it with code out so Sith and Jedi couldn't create little cliques and fight clubs to advance each other in the ranking system, they just removed it and promised to implement it at a later date.

As of the last time I subscribed they had said that they'd been "looking at alternative versions of the FRS" for about three years now. As of when I just checked the forums a few hours ago, they said they'd "never implement a new FRS".

Currently, alignment is determined by what you specialize in in your talent tree. With the dark side being insane DPS/the better PVP choice, and the light side being defensive, with healing, and better for instance running.

Really, the issue with the original FRS, as has been stated many times on the forums, was extremely easy to fix. You just need to give diminished returns (IE, none.) for rapidly killing force sensitives, and make it so you can only get so many kills in a period of time that count toward's credit. Laziness on the part of the developers kept them from ever implementing that particular fix.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    I don't have a problem with the open world format, but the thing is since my 80 something is a smuggler I can do fuck all by myself apparently and another major part of it is that I have so much shit on my smuggler I'd have to delete tons of stuff to pursue the new stuff like collections, etc.

Like, my house is 200/200, 74/80 inventory, and a full backpack.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    OK so if I sell all this Chronicle Relic bullshit, will I be sad later when I find out what it actually does?

Jasconius on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    Moist wrote: »
    I gotta say im loving reading these stories, anyone got tales of Jedi's (preferably ones with huge ego's) getting capped by bounty hunters? I always thought that was a awesome feature of the game.

I was apparently a semi-famous/infamous bounty hunter on my server, depending on who you talked too. So much that I had a couple of people try to copy my name and try to impersonate me.

Apparently I got my internet fame by trying to figure out how to be a Jedi back when SOE was in their "they're totally ingame, but hidden!" phase, and the subsequent, seething rage at being conned by SOE that prompted me to ruthlessly hunt Jedi down and kill them, no matter how long it took, what it took, or how expensive it was, what with the bullshit holocron system that got introduced after they changed their story.

That thing took far too much time for the rewards involved, and I could never afford the time to unlock one completely, despite having tried.

Boy howdy, let me tell you that it was a shock to come back to SWG and find that some dick had tacked an apostrophe on to the end of my name and went around claiming he was an alt of mine. The one copy-cat that stands out to me, even now, is the one who joined my old guild and convinced them that my account had been stolen, and that's why he was using a different name.

Was kind of creepy actually, looking back on it.

I think with the advent of Ventrilo, that would be tougher today, unless you just never talked to anyone ever.

To be fair, in a game like SWG, which basically was the epitome of "fuck around in this awesome virtual world we made for you" before the CU, I don't know why most folks would use Ventrilo.

Outside of top tier PVP, crafting, and bounty hunting, the game wasn't really competitive in any way, shape or form. And even then, most of that stuff doesn't require Ventrillo unless you were looking to head up a monopoly on resources on a planet-wide scale, or were working with several other bounty hunters to take down a target/getting help on a mark.

I mean, outside of a few specific activities most of the stuff was centered around duo's or small groups.

The exception to that would be assaults on the Tusken Fortress. You could easily see upwards of 100 people there on a high population server, along with the hordes of Tuskens defending the place.

Even so, people knew what to do, mostly because the system encouraged it. Rangers would set up mega-camps where people could stage assaults from. Entertainers would set up shop in the camps to revitalize people who had lost their HAM caps. Medics would run around tossing heals to injured/downed people and offering buffs out in the field to people who needed them. The combat classes would keep the enemies despawned around the entrances to the tunnel system so people could get back inside if they died, and so on and so forth.

It may have just been a case of the people who played the game for that sort of stuff around that time being incredibly mature and intelligent, but I never actually saw a need for Ventrilo. Which just leaves it up for small group coordination, or idle chatter.

It's also a shame that they didn't really make any other places like the Tusken Fortress.

That "army" style of gameplay was incredibly cool, and had a much different feel to it then WoW's formulaic raid gameplay. There was an incredible level of depth to that area. It even had it's own economy on my server, since enterprising entertainers and medics would often set up shop there at a ranger's camp to skim loot and money off of what the adventurers earned in exchange for their services.

There was an entire, almost competitive, game, behind the support of allowing actual combat there that always fascinated me. Sadly, with the advent of the CU, people stopped going there in favor of doing WoW-esque EXP farming runs on some hole of a planet.

You know, I'm excited for Old Republic and all, but it won't have this sort of emergent open world stuff

Also, I liked the combat upgrade, because it actually made combat fun and I started to actually get good at it for the first time. It makes me sad that it took away experiences like this
    Terminal missions work like the following for player hunting -

(Jakes system log)
    Goat strikes Jake for 9000!
    Goat deathblows Jake.
    Jake dies!
    --Would you like to place a bounty on Goat? Please enter amount...---

From here a window will pop up asking you to input an ammount to set on the person who deathblowed you. Within 15-30 minutes a mission will be spawned on the terminals anytime that person is online. Any active bounty hunter may pick it up (up to 3 diffrent bounty hunters) and seek him out through the tricks of the trade.

Bounty hunters do not appear hostile to the target untill the bounty hunter strikes first. This is a great chance to play out any sadistic thing you can think of before killing them.

One of my favorites was having a wookiee bounty hunter, rebel faction armor wouldnt show on me due to being a wookiee, but I still had its protection values. So I would have an old Master entertainer badge up over my head, and dance within a popular pvp hotspot on rori (Restuss) - The person would always usualy be there, get killed off at some point, and clone.. Then come out to watch me.

The common responce was 'Going afk while the rez sickness and buff timer ticks.' - "Okay" I would respond, wait a few moments, then pull out my rifle and lay them down rite there for my profit Took three weeks untill people caught onto it. I also loved hunting down jedi's who were 'tanking' for random hunt groups against krayts to collect hydrolases for beastmastery, Id wait till an ancient krayt got them to about 50% HP, then unleash a torrent of shots at them and collect...

See, this is a feature that should have been in from day one

It's simple, it's awesome, and it makes the bounty hunter class relevant to the player economy

It's amazing to me that they made an MMO out of Star Wars, and just couldn't figure out how to implement half the classes. "Bounty hunters? Smugglers? However will we implement these classes"

Christ on crutches, the developers for SWG were so retarded
    I'd much rather prefer a pre-CU era server with the post NGE content they made. Pre CU had flaws, but it was alot more fun then the NGE era system.

Also, for anyone that remembers SOE adding in wearable angelic wings to the game, I present to you this latest similar piece of equippable armor.

picture011_th.jpg

Oh for fuck's sake

It's like they're not even trying to pretend it's Star Wars anymore

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited October 2009
    Fortunately I haven't seen those around yet.

The Jabba quests are getting on my nerves. But it's no more repetitive than something like City of Heroes. Same cave, same building, same objectives. Times 20. The best aspect is it is pretty much 1 level per quest which is semi-nice.

*edit*

Also, to whoever was looking for content, isn't a huge portion of Kashyyyk designed for the 50's?

*edit2*

Does anyone know if I should respec my Smuggler or wait? I realize that Smuggler "revamps" have been on their way since the goddamn game came out, so I am skeptical that a fix is coming anytime soon. Part of my wants to just use my respec kit and switch to something else like Spy.

However, that will probably cost me some levels (since the respec kit, I think, goes back to your level when the NGE came out). I am pretty much out of Mustafar quests. What would be the choice way of leveling from 80 to 90 given that?

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    I'm doing the stuff on Nabboo and it's beyond boring now, it picked up for a little bit but now it's back to the same old. I'd be happy to randomly boost to level 50, haha.

Right now I'd be happy playing with someone else though, my guild has gotten oddly silent.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009

Also, the entirety of Jabba's themepark is tedious as fuck, since it was designed for the pre CU era and was just adapted to help pushing people to level 50/60 or so. So brace yourself for a period of extreme apathy toward's the game, if you're looking to enjoy it.

Um.. No?

Its actualy a whole quite easy to do quest series that was revamped Post-NGE.

Alot of it deals with what you have been doing in legacy *Go here, touch this, kill X people for Y item*

Theres nothing pre-CU about it on *Lets go over the hill, kill a jawa, then talk to this NPC out here, then drive back and repeat 29 more times for the badge* Like it used to be.

(Edit: How in the hell is a level 18-20 themepark designed for people to push 50-60? Seriously. When was the last time you did it?)
    (Another edit. Id respec your smuggler if you really want to, could be fun to play somthing diffrent. Id suggest officer or medic. Both have been a core favorite of mine on overall balance.)

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009

Um.. No?

Its actualy a whole quite easy to do quest series that was revamped Post-NGE.

Alot of it deals with what you have been doing in legacy *Go here, touch this, kill X people for Y item*

Theres nothing pre-CU about it on *Lets go over the hill, kill a jawa, then talk to this NPC out here, then drive back and repeat 29 more times for the badge* Like it used to be.

(Edit: How in the hell is a level 18-20 themepark designed for people to push 50-60? Seriously. When was the last time you did it?)
    (Another edit. Id respec your smuggler if you really want to, could be fun to play somthing diffrent. Id suggest officer or medic. Both have been a core favorite of mine on overall balance.)

It's a series of quests that takes you all over the south-west part of Tatooine, and sometimes off-planet, out into space, or out to cities on other sections of the planet, which is a huge distance. There's also the fact that if you don't know about how one of the space quests puts you up against a frigging large, multi-person ship with fighter backup, you'll be screwed too, since you need to know where to fly to stay in it's blind spots.

Don't forget that Jabba's palace is literally in the fuck-all middle of nowhere as well, so if there isn't a player city nearby, have fun driving there from Wayfar any time you want to turn in a quest. And you will be making quite a few trips back to the palace, since there's no mobile mission system to pick them up in the field, and you can only enter certain parts of the palace by completing quest series, so you'll do alot of backtracking if you want to continue leveling using the legacy questline.

Also, the situation you're describing with the jawa's never occured in pre CU times, and, if it did, it was an exception to the standard. It was only after the CU was released that they started adding in shit like that.

Most of the actual quest content pre-CU came in the form of "hidden" quests. Where you would talk to a NPC, and, most of the time they'd give you some random text blurb. Occasionally, you'd stumble across a guy programmed with a problem that you could solve, or do for money/special rewards.

The most common place to find this sort of stuff was in cantina's, and, originally, the developers hinted that unlocking a force sensitive character would be linked with doing a certain number of those hidden quests. Occasionally you'd find someone out in the middle of nowhere that'd give you something awesome too if you did their quest, like the dude at the buttom of the monkey hive place on Tatooine. I'm pretty sure that most of the open world hidden missions were converted to formal missions, however. Though, the cantina quests should still be there, last I checked.

Most of pre-CU gameplay was free-form and about seeing what sort of cool shit you could do. Like being a TKM and taking down an ancient krayt dragon with your force-empowered kung-fu, after spending an hour roiding yourself up on medic buffs. Or getting together eighty people at Bestine, backed up by AT-ST's, and god knows how many Stormtroopers, and hiking to Anchorhead to wage an assault on the rebel players and rebel HQ while it was there.

Jabba's Palace has always been the weakest of the themeparks. It was originally somewhat unfinished, then they added in some kickass item rewards to it toward's the end of the CU era to try to bribe people into taking the time to go through the massive effort of getting access to Jabba's lounge and bedroom (Why he invites you to his bedroom, i'll never know. Nor do I suspect that I want too.). Compared to themeparks like the Emperors Retreat, or some of the more hidden ones, it's had a hard time comparing.

I was also referring to the legacy quest, which, in part, compromises Jabba's themepark. The legacy quest is supposed to push you into the 50/60 range.

From there, you can do whatever you want, since all the planets except for maybe Mustafar and some areas of places like Dathomir (IE, the inner reaches of the zombie quarantine zone, if the newest content expansion reviews are to be believed.) and other moons will be open to you, and you'll either have to grind terminal missions (Which is boring and since they capped them at only letting you do 10 per day, ineffective.), or personally seek out quest content like the hidden underground city on the wookie planet.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    Arch, sorry but you're wrong. I'm literally doing them right now and they are level 18-22.

All the themeparks got re-re-revamped.

Jasconius on
  • MoistMoist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So SHOULD I play it? I mean I love Star Wars to bits but I remember giving the game a try a while ago (After the big change) and after donwloading the trial I entered the game, saw Han Solo trying to give me a quest and said fuck this, I dont want to be a jedi or anything, I wouldent mind being a bounty hunter, but im used to the polished fare of WoW and WAR.

So yea, should I play it or will I just be dissapointed and ragequit? Is it completely fucked now they destroyed the coolness I read about in these old stories? Above all can I fuck up rebels and jedi?

Or should I just wait for The Old Republic?

Moist on
    edited October 2009
    Since the last time I played it, which was maybe a year ago or so, I see tangible improvements. You start out on Tattoine and you do a long hand-holding quest chain that takes you through Jabba's palace and eventually on to Naboo (still working through it), and it is well tuned enough to that to be your sole method of levelling.

So, there's no terminal grinding until very late in the game it seems.

I think if I had 1 or 2 people to play with it would be much more enjoyable. Most of the high end content requires a group, or a lot of gear.

Oh, and you can't even terminal grind if you want to. You are now limited to 10 per day.

I have a Commando (22) on Bloodfin, and a 87 Smuggler (who I managed to make not suck) on Starsider (which is currently at "Extremely Heavy" population).

So, people are playing it. There is content. Levelling is still bad but not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Jasconius on
  • MoistMoist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I might have a go then, maybe, possibly, alright I probably will because I fucking love star wars.

But if I see a sith prostitute with devil wings I will vomit all over my computer and YOU SIR will pay for a new one.

Moist on
    edited October 2009
    There's new houses apparently...

I found this today, which is easily the most awesome thing I've ever seen in the game.

This is someone's house.
    1492rgl.jpg
    11afupz.jpg
    14lnj8x.jpg
    nb6xb8.jpg
    s5igkl.jpg

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    I will say this, i've only been playing for a few hours now, and i'm seeing some massive improvements on the graphics side of things. Mustafar still looks insanely good in some places, and easily measures up to modern games in some areas.

Either the server merges added in alot of good tailors to the server i'm on, or they've added in new, non-stupid clothing since I last played too.

I've seen outfits that don't look like a spastic, autistic, nerd tried to look cool, which is something of a miracle in-of-itself given the stilted, ultra-weird look of alot of the clothing that's been in since release (and largely, up until recently) hasn't been updated.

Also, seen a few new house configurations and designs. It seems like they've got a competent art team, finally. Might have to look at trading in my Mustafarian Bunker for a Sith Temple out in the ass end of nowhere sometime too.

There's also a new mission design system that also acts as a profession that everyone has, where players can design their own missions and play as the DM or something. I haven't tried it yet, but it appears to be similar to CoX's mission architect, only with a much more varied set of locations and mobs you can use. It's definitely getting used, too, because i'm seeing people with the level 90 Chronicler robes hanging around the Starports.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    The thing about the Chronicle missions is, and I am not sure about this, but I asked one today about it and he said you don't actually get any XP from them except for the mobs you kill (which is not very much at all). Instead you get "tokens" that you trade in for some rewards, and I don't know what the rewards are.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    I noticed the clothing thing today too and I think this has to do with

1) There are new armor sets for every class from the heroic missions, some of which look awesome

2) Apparently you can now "equip appearance", so you can actually equip your best armor, but make it look like something else. This is to cut down on lawlcomposite spam.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    The thing about the Chronicle missions is, and I am not sure about this, but I asked one today about it and he said you don't actually get any XP from them except for the mobs you kill (which is not very much at all). Instead you get "tokens" that you trade in for some rewards, and I don't know what the rewards are.

Having seen the problems CoX's mission system caused, I can understand why they wouldn't give mission EXP.

The ME pretty much killed standard mission runs. And the ones in the ME were just farms for a very long time.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    Well it appears Starsider is actually full now and I cannot log into my only character with both money and levels. great.

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.