As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STAR WARS GALAXIES

• Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of starsider... Check up searching for 6000 on the bazzars galaxy search, full suits of each type of armor for 260k sold off of lok atm.

Good deal compared to most other smiths :P

Fatgoat87 on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it capped armor? I already have some pretty sweet Recon armor... I've got one set that's 5.6k/7.6e and another that's 5.96k/6.96e

I'm not even sure Smugglers can wear Battle/Assault can they?

I hope they shut off transfers to Starsider jesus. I never have ever seen a full server in this game even when it was popular.

I started doing the Azure Cabal quests but hey guess what, more elite fucking mobs! I am hoping a new gun at 88 (eta tomorrow) will push me over the edge on soloing all these fucking quests.

One thing I am noticing, and maybe it's just because my jotstick is literally like 8 or 9 years old, but space combat is

A) Substantially harder than it used to be
    B) Completely unrewarding once you cap out on space XP.

It used to give you ground XP when you capped as a pilot. It still does, but only like 30-60 per Tier 4 kill.

I still *hate* that you, as a pilot, are totally at the mercy of shipwrights to do anything. I wish they would make Reverse Engineering a global skill.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Yep all capped. Though... Its all shit colors for what I have bought, so search the bazzar for armor color kits.

I picked one up for around 35k the other night, not blowing 150k like some people were charging -.-

P.S - Anybody can wear any type of armor, but battle is mostly suggested for overall performance.

I still like to keep an assault / recon on hand for situational fights though.

Jasconius wrote: »
    I'm going to play this game for the week and if at the end of the week I am not completely bored I may start a new thread. This game has and still does benefit greatly from group play.

Sounds like a plan :P I honestly cant see myself staying though. No time for MMO's these days so once my third trial account runs out, Im gone...

Though I did find you could master pilot as many times as you want on a trial account... Yet they stall you at 25 for ground combat, odd system..
    warblurrg.jpg
    R.I.P Slitrisko :P My origonal account character from 03 to 09

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to play this game for the week and if at the end of the week I am not completely bored I may start a new thread. This game has and still does benefit greatly from group play.
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    warblurrg.jpg
    R.I.P Slitrisko :P My origonal account character from 03 to 09

Not a human or a zabrak!!??!! Impossible.

I play bothans.

I am the only person who plays bothans.

Jasconius on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well I am up for transferring my character which is currently on Bria, not sure if I can even get it to Starside, but would you be fine with some company, Jasconius? :lol:

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • brainsmithbrainsmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have been considering reactivating my account. One question, will the game run on Vista 64-bit now? I remember shortly after Vista came out that people could not run it.

Also, how much is a character transfer? I was on Eclipse, but I would like to transfer to play with people from here.

brainsmith on
    Get your own tauntaun!
    edited October 2009
    brainsmith wrote: »
    I have been considering reactivating my account. One question, will the game run on Vista 64-bit now? I remember shortly after Vista came out that people could not run it.

Also, how much is a character transfer? I was on Eclipse, but I would like to transfer to play with people from here.

It's free if you're on a shutting down server, but Eclipse is not. I think it's 10 dollars but I don't know.

Don't transfer yet Saiga. I am not even sure I am sold on the game yet O.o

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the tip on the armor. 260k for capped WITH sockets. Crazy. Bought 3 sets.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Hell yeah...

As for bits.. Last I recall they go for about 800k-1.5mill for standard value on each 35. So keep that in mind before ordering up some.

/alreadyhavingnightmaresofpowerbitgrinding

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    What are these power bits you speak of. Sockets?

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Well, powerbits are the new form of socketing. They come in a variety of enhancements all on a scale of power ratio.

You may sometime see somthing called a modify bit, they mix with raw powerbits to create an attachment for a socket. Attachments may have three stats maximum.

To make a multi-stat attachment, you need a special series of raw powerbits though..

1st order, 2nd order, 3rd order. 1'st and 2'nd are common for reverse engineers to make, 3'rd order are a bit more rare, and take one extra item to create (A 3-5 stat random junk loot rolled in with a +35 powerbit. *Not to important to know unless your making them yourself.*)

But like I said, they cover almost every stat in the game. From all the standard attributes on a '1:1' scale ( a 35 bit will give you +35 strength, but you cannot use the same modifyer twice, so no +70 attachments!) Or somthing like Pistol action cost '1:10' ( +3 in the end for that skill to apply a bonus to you. )

Id really suggest reading over the class specific areas on the primary SWG forums for ideal 'suit builds' or attachment orders for each prof.

If you really want to know more about the creation of powerbits, feel free to PM me. Its a bit much to explain here.

I wonder if its sad that I know more about powerbit creation than I do about any religion.

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    Star Wars IS a religion in some countries.

Jasconius on
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i just re-subbed. got my 4 year (4 FUCKING YEAR) veteran rewards.

what the fuck have you people done to me.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
    edited October 2009
    Pssh, I got my 5 year reward when I came back.

So Fatgoat, do you have any ideas on boosting action regeneration?

I am a GOD until I burn all my action, at which point I die very very very quickly.

Jasconius on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So with the new content update, they added alot of new crap that the original, pre NGE developer team has been promising since the game came out, like combat droids.

I just bought myself a Basilisk War Droid. It's a bug-like, flying droid that Mandalorians used to ride into combat on the ground, and flew into battle in space against starships.

(Spoilered for huge/awesome pictures.)
    BasiliskWarDroid_egtd.png

Basilisk.jpg

screenshot2066.jpg
    This picture is of one that's hasn't been colored yet using a customization kit. It can look alot better color-wise. Also, yes, that's a laser gatling gun in it's mouth if you were wondering.

TFUBasiliskWarDroid.jpg
    This is a picture of a war droid from the Force Unleashed game. Just included it to show you what a colored one looks like. The design is a bit different from the one ingame currently too.

This thing is huge. It's about the size of a real life tank. It's propelled through the air by rocket engines mounted on it's back, which means it flies ingame. And it's immune to lava, making it the only obtainable vehicle in game that's immune to lava, aside from the Mustafar expansion pre-order items, which are slow as hell.

It also has 15k health if the crafter makes one at 100% quality, is top ranked in all of the vehicle related stats, including speed (Turning is slightly lower then a racing swoop.), and supposedly has an extremely high chance to turn any hits that land on you into glancing blows if you're riding it into battle, which basically means they do no damage to you. All those things mean it's better then almost all of the veteran reward vehicles, and TCG vehicles.

It's apparently extremely hard to make, given that all the resources for it are on top tier planets, like Mustafar, and in space, meaning you have to know how to mine asteroids as well. You have to be a level 90 Droid Engineer just to learn how to make one. Mine put me out about a million and a half credits, though I got mine on a discount.

I'm getting poor people sending me tells, violently cursing me, just for riding it around town. This is awesome.

Archonex on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I hate to be the canon nerd and all, but that's ridiculous

But I guess SWG never really gave a shit about internal universe consistency anyway

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man, I hate to be the canon nerd and all, but that's ridiculous

But I guess SWG never really gave a shit about internal universe consistency anyway
    I've actually got to stand up for these things in terms of canon. They're most likely going to be extremely rare, as any ancient war-machine should be, canon-wise.

It's not like you're going to be seeing them as often as swoops and speeders, which are the preferred method of travel, especially from a cost-benefit method of analysis. Swoops are about just as fast as them, and much cheaper, being easy to craft.

The main benefit is that they're an extremely fast vehicle, that can also ride over lava, which makes navigating Mustafar go from being a pain in the ass, to being a cake-walk. There's also the shock value of seeing a giant rocket propelled robo-doom-worm coming at you, armed to the teeth with warheads and lasers, but until vehicular combat gets in, that probably won't affect people as much.

The things are supposedly ridiculously hard to make. You need to be a max level Droid Engineer first. You then need to buy a crapload of extremely expensive resources from someone who can mine on Mustafar safely.

If you can't afford that and make a profit, then you have to go to Mustafar yourself, which'll require you to have a bodyguard, which means you'll probably want to craft yourself a badass combat droid if you're going to AFK mine.

Once you do that, you also need to be a very high level/max level pilot, since you'll be heading out into space to mine asteroids for some more extremely expensive resources. Given that I don't know much about asteroid mining, I can't say how hard that'll be. But going off of the carebear whiners on the forums, it's apparently suitably hard for something that is basically a flying engine of mass destruction.

Given that there's barely any traders left these days thanks to the lack of item decay, nevermind droid engineers, which have been all but useless since the release of the game, you're not likely going to see too many of these things even getting made for awhile. About the only common crafting professions i've seen lately are tailors and armor makers.

Even if they do start getting produced, the price on them is insane, going off of some of the offers i'm seeing ingame. So unless you're super rich, good luck with that.

To give you some perspective on swoops. I bought my swoop for somewhere between 5-10k credits. These things cost millions of credits. According to what some droid engineers are saying, it can also only be repaired by a vehicular repair kit, rather then a garage. Which makes sense, given the whole "it's a giant death machine" thing. That sort of thing might be a little outside the purview of your average grease monkey.

Apparently part of the reason that Droid Engineers got this item to make is because the developers wanted to help revitalize the economy for droid engineers, who, compared to most of the other classes, barely ever get any sales. I think it's supposed to be an alternative to selling the new combat droids, so enterprising Droid Engineer's can push into the vehicle market too.

What I don't like is that I can't put on a space-suit, and ride this thing out into outer space. I want to be shooting down players in X-Wing's while doing my best cowboy impersonation.

Hopefully they'll make it usable in space at a later date.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    Pssh, I got my 5 year reward when I came back.

So Fatgoat, do you have any ideas on boosting action regeneration?

I am a GOD until I burn all my action, at which point I die very very very quickly.

1. Stack Stamina! Or visit a doctor with a stam / con buff.
    2. Get action cost powerups for your weapon type, you can have 3 at once even! (One on shirt(clothing), chest(armor) and gun!) They are generaly cheap to, and have roughly 15-200 uses for 30 minutes a pop.
    3. Group with an officer, those bitches never run out with their action group buffs.

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    S-shit about the droid-.

They really arnt to hard.

If you have a trader alt, make a sample macro on mustafar in some safe corner concentration for the resources there. And space asteroids are so simple to collect a monkey could do it..

I used to harvest 90-150k units of asteroids a day back when they sold for 250/cpu on radiant.

((P.S - all asteroids are suitable to start mining by the time you hit T2 Pilot. And get a good enough booster to fly the hell away from pirates.))

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    There's still the issue of there not really being that many Droid Engineers left, and the fact that they're extremely expensive compared to other vehicles.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    There's still the issue of there not really being that many Droid Engineers left, and the fact that they're extremely expensive compared to other vehicles.

Really depends on your server to be honest.

Rite now my old account is innactive, so I've been running three trial accounts dorking around between starsider and radiant. Both of those have a decent enough engineer population, let alone just contacting an engineer once you find any other item they sell has led me to quite a few contacts.

By the time my spy hit 24 on starsider, I already had 6 droids all from diffrent master level engineers, my previous attempts on radiant netted finding around 7 or 8 by the time I hit the combat cap.

Low pop servers are doomed to have few and far between, and increased prices. But its not like you cant cut a deal with them. For example, if you go mine in a standard fighter with a simple obsidian asteroid cargo hold, you can land 5.5k units each trip, roughly taking 15-25 minutes, pending your flight skills.

If you just throw an hour into that, toss on some decent music. And trade him the entire stack, I wouldnt be suprised if youd get the damn machine for near free of charge. So really my only tip is that you search for an engineer in general, and work out a deal.

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    I'm playing on Starsider too, and they're going for at least a million at the moment. More if you want it at 100%.

You might be able to get a generous or stupid DE to give you a discount or give it to you for free if you supply the resources, but currently the asteroid resources alone go for 600K credits, and it'd take a fair amount of time to sample the resources if you aren't a trader. It's much easier to actually go out and pay for one.

The War Droid is a luxury mount too, so they've got every reason to charge you money for making one. It was designed to help balance out the money intake of the trader classes.

Plus, not many people actually want to track down an applicable trader and possibly spend several days just to get an item, unless it's top tier armor or weaponry. They open up their map, go to the droid related listings, and go to a shop that stocks them.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    1 mill, aka 1/200th of a vet reward sale ;)

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Alot of the vet reward items/rare items seem to be alot cheaper on Starsider, though i've got limited experience on that end so far.

I know someone was trying to sell an AT-RT today for 8 million. It's easily the fastest mount in the game. I think it even breaks the speed hard-cap, since I got out-paced by one on my swoop when riding around Lok yesterday. Though, that might have just been due to the atrocious lag I was getting intermittently.

Though, just talking to a few entertainers in the cantina today, some of them are making 10-20 million per hour from generous tippers when actively buffing (Which is the only kind of buffing you can do now. They added in a system that checks to see if you're AFK with that class.).

Shit like that makes me think I should look at abandoning my bounty hunter, and just take up dancing and strip down to my skivvies for free money.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    You don't have to abandon, you get two characters per server!

That's a good idea actually, I need to replinish my bank. Constantly resubbing and catching up on the latest and greatest over the past 3 years has taken me from 80 million down to 16 million D:

Plus all my cool DWB loot is on my second account which is going to get deleted, because I'll be damned if I am keeping two accounts on this game.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    You don't have to abandon, you get two characters per server!

That's a good idea actually, I need to replinish my bank. Constantly resubbing and catching up on the latest and greatest over the past 3 years has taken me from 80 million down to 16 million D:

Plus all my cool DWB loot is on my second account which is going to get deleted, because I'll be damned if I am keeping two accounts on this game.

Two characters is not enough!

Those assholes need to open up the third slot that some folks got at the start of the NGE to everyone else.

Archonex on
  • MoistMoist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Downloading the trial, what server should I go on?

Moist on
    edited October 2009
    Starsider is massively populated and will give you the greatest odds of a full experience. It does get full at night though, but even when full there is not much in the way of lag.

Bloodfin is moderately populated.

They are both east coast servers, however. Don't know what the lag is like on an opposite coast server.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Well I guess the east coast is slightly closer to limey land than the west coast so I will go with that, Starstrider for me, Huzzah!

Moist on
    edited October 2009
    They have some European servers, one of which seems reasonably populated. Your mileage may vary.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    One thing I have noticed is that crafting, for better or for worse, is still remarkably in tact from the origins of the game. I walked into the aforementioned armorshop and the guy had literally 2 dozen containers full of very specific 1st and 2nd phase crafting materials, which probably took him a YEAR to put together.

I find it interesting that the SWG economy motivated in a very subtle way how I think a lot of MMO economies would like to run.

Crafters work laboriously to make perfect armor, makes billions of credits, and then pay out the nose to get rare loot to decorate their houses to the same people they've been selling their goods too.

I think if they did not have so much duping in the olden days then the economy would be in good shape, however it's not like credits are hard to come by for new players either. My level 22 commando already has 250k, enough to buy a perfect set of armor (perhaps without sockets) and a pretty good weapon.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    An hour (apparently) left in patching, why they cant just stick it all in one mega patch is a mystery to me, left it on while i went to work and now I have to download the next section, if theres more after this I will have to punch a kitten.

Im reading up on guides and whatnot, player housing sounds real cool to me, im curious though how much a small house would set me back and what level I would have to be to get that much cash.

Moist on
    edited October 2009
    You can get a small house for about 10-25k and you'll have that much in less than a couple of hours of playing.

Filling it up is a different story.

Player housing is probably THE strongest aspect of SWG in terms of how it retains its fanatical player base. Some of the house designs are just crazy.

The patching has always been sad, I'm surprised the trial client has that many patches. I have a 3 year old copy and it takes me 3 hours to patch.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    Moist wrote: »
    An hour (apparently) left in patching, why they cant just stick it all in one mega patch is a mystery to me, left it on while i went to work and now I have to download the next section, if theres more after this I will have to punch a kitten.

Im reading up on guides and whatnot, player housing sounds real cool to me, im curious though how much a small house would set me back and what level I would have to be to get that much cash.

If you get the new launcher I think it'll patch it all at once.

At the very least, all I did was leave it on overnight and it patched it completely by the next day.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    -Woops didnt notice it was already answered...

*This is not the post you are looking for!

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009

Player housing is probably THE strongest aspect of SWG in terms of how it retains its fanatical player base. Some of the house designs are just crazy.

Or spaceship design!
    shipsmecksy.jpg

screenShot0671.jpg
    screenShot0672.jpg
    screenShot0673.jpg

And for those who just love house decorating... Heres a crap-tastic kitchen.
    kitchen.jpg

Fatgoat87 on
    edited October 2009
    Bloody awesome, so are most of you chaps on Starstrider? If so would it be possible to get a character name to add to a friends list as I will more than likely have a slew of questions after completing the newbie section.

I plan on being a bounty hunter, If I enjoy the game enough and the comunity is friendly enough then I will stick around and spend my days capping rebels and Jedi before returning to my small home for one and drinking heavily, preferably a home with a nice view, do they need to be at player citites? This is another feature that sounds genius yet has the potential to be awfull.

My imagination is painting a picture of this game I dont think it could possibly live up to but I live in hope, fourty minutes left.

Moist on
    edited October 2009
    They can be almost anywhere, besides 3 or so planets that have a no house / harvester only rule.

Also theres ALOT of new houses with windows! So pay attention to that when shopping so you can actualy look outside...

My current trial running rite now is on a starsider character named Cassadore

P.S - You can spend literaly hours decorating a house and not even realise it.

A picture of a hunting wall from kashyyyk / Mustafar while It was being constructed.. I added much more later but dont have any shots of it post-finish
    huntingwall.jpg

Fatgoat87 on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    well shit, now I'm reinstalling SWG.

Depressperado on
    edited October 2009
    My name on starsider is Jasconius

Yeah Goat you're right about ships but who the hell ever uses those YT-1300's? Well, I guess more people do now because they fixed the goddamn turrets to be useable, but still, space XP is pretty bad.

At least they seem to have removed spaceship decay, that shit was pissing me off. Pay millions for a KSE only to have it fucked up in deep space? No thanks.

With that being said, I have a YT-1300 and would gladly host a space party.

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.